Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Just jumping on this thread as I'm looking at setting up a system myself. Two CCTV companies didn't get back to me about installing €1,500-1,900 systems and after some consideration I'm looking at spending under €1,000 on a more affordable system.

I was considering two Nest cameras for €500 but €600 or so would get two 4MP ColorVu cameras, a 2TB POE NVR and 2x30m Cat5 cables from CCTV Ireland.

Their website suggests it's plug and play, how easy are these to setup? My brother in law can help with external installation as I'm useless with tools but fairly tech savvy. The previous quotes I got had an ethernet switch, is that even necessary? Surely the cameras go into the NVR then the modem connection into the NVR, and obviously mouse, HDMI etc.

Probably going to go with 2.8mm then consider an additional 4mm down the line. Mainly just want to keep an eye on things and set up a zone around my car for night time (on street parking).

They are very easy to setup

First time installation for me although I am working in the automation business for nearly 20 years so cable running, setting up HMI's etc are nothing new to me

I got a reel of cable and made up my own connections but if you are not comfortable with that, just get ready made cables

the 2.8mm cameras are very wide field of view, so just to bear that in mind

If I was to point my 2.8mm camera to the road from the front door where its mounted, I would easily capture about 3-4 car lengths

I have a 2TB drive on my NVR and running 2x 4MP cameras and it will hold about 20 days of footage.
    The more cameras you have and the higher the MP, this will then reduce your length of footage stored

For me 2 weeks is the minimum as I would probably wouldn't be away for any longer than that

If I had the option now I should have got the 4TB drive in hindsight in case of upgrading or adding new cams later

I got the turret cameras and have to say they are great and very discreet

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Rustyman101

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    They are very easy to setup

First time installation for me although I am working in the automation business for nearly 20 years so cable running, setting up HMI's etc are nothing new to me

I got a reel of cable and made up my own connections but if you are not comfortable with that, just get ready made cables

the 2.8mm cameras are very wide field of view, so just to bear that in mind

If I was to point my 2.8mm camera to the road from the front door where its mounted, I would easily capture about 3-4 car lengths

I have a 2TB drive on my NVR and running 2x 4MP cameras and it will hold about 20 days of footage.
    The more cameras you have and the higher the MP, this will then reduce your length of footage stored

For me 2 weeks is the minimum as I would probably wouldn't be away for any longer than that

If I had the option now I should have got the 4TB drive in hindsight in case of upgrading or adding new cams later

I got the turret cameras and have to say they are great and very discreet
    did you purchase these in Ireland? would 3.6mm lens be better for a semi d to cover approach to drive n front door ?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

Have a Google for cctv Ireland, give that lad a call and he will sort ye. Even take pictures of house and dimensions etc so he can recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Are the zone settings useful on these cameras? It would be ideal to have alerts if someone is near my car, I have on street parking in front of my house and I usually park in the middle of my two spaces, nobody should be around my car at night.

Does anyone know if the light on the ColorVu can come on with motion?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

you can buy cameras for about 40 euro

1080p(2 mp) is not really good enough buy 5mp minimum
    8mp (4k) is best
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wOmUVwzd654

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Are the zone settings useful on these cameras? It would be ideal to have alerts if someone is near my car, I have on street parking in front of my house and I usually park in the middle of my two spaces, nobody should be around my car at night.

I use the zone settings on two of my Dahua cameras and I find it excellent, the alerts and notifications can be controlled via the app then aswell.

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    you can buy cameras for about 40 euro

1080p(2 mp) is not really good enough buy 5mp minimum
    8mp (4k) is best
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wOmUVwzd654

Depending on where the cameras are going, 2mp cameras can be excellent, the problem with getting 8mp cameras is you’ll need a 8mp DVR/NVR also which can me pricey as you’ll need at least an 8tb HD it you have more than 4 cameras and want decent recording time unless you are only going to use motion recording.

did you purchase these in Ireland? would 3.6mm lens be better for a semi d to cover approach to drive n front door ?

I bought all mine from freetv.ie

EZ by Dahua™ 4 Way NVR (6MP w/ 4x PoE)
    EZ by Dahua™ 4MP Turret Network Camera (30m IR, 2.8mm Lens)

Mine is a semi d but has a garage to the side
    I've mounted the camera underneath the canopy over the garage which is practically at the side of the house by the entrance

If I angle it towards the front door it will almost cover the full drive and front garden
    I think a 3.6mm would be fine for what you are looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

You need to install the Australian firmware if you want the colorvu light to come on with motion. I suspect that the next eu firmware upgrade will be the same.

Sorry, some more questions...

Do I need the right angle adaptor for mounting flat on the wall of my house or just the standard base adaptor for hiding cables? I'm not sure if I need the junction box either?

Is Hik Connect something I can setup myself? CCTV Ireland have a 2 camera ColorVu kit I want for a lot less than buying individually (same models) and there's an option to setup Hik Connect for €70. If it's just an app I download myself then I won't need that. There's no option of the bases though so I must contact them to try get that price.

• Advertisement

HIK connect is a doddle to set up and its free!

But you don't even need it. You can use normal ip forwarding to achieve the same thing.

Do I need the right angle adaptor for mounting flat on the wall of my house or just the standard base adaptor for hiding cables? I'm not sure if I need the junction box either?

Is Hik Connect something I can setup myself? CCTV Ireland have a 2 camera ColorVu kit I want for a lot less than buying individually (same models) and there's an option to setup Hik Connect for €70. If it's just an app I download myself then I won't need that. There's no option of the bases though so I must contact them to try get that price.

Try rfconcepts.ie
    You can make up that kit for 472 with the higher specced DS-2CD2347G1-LU camera which has a microphone but the L model doesn't (discounted when multi buy is enabled).
    I'd also go for the 7608 nvr as you can support 8 cameras instead of 4 (future proofing) and 2 hard drives instead of 1 (in case of HDD failure). Comes in at 547 including delivery so only 30 more than the one on cctv Ireland for a better nvr and cameras. Assuming you meant this kit:

https://www.cctvireland.ie/two-camera-cctv-kit-with-4mp-colorvu-cameras-from-hikvision-1tb.html

Edit: I see an option to upgrade the cameras on cctv Ireland too, bringing it to 544. I'd still pick the 7608 nvr on rfconcepts for the extra 3 euro though.

I didnt need the j box for mine, one was mounted into the soffit and the other in the underside of the canopy. There is enough space in what came to fit the ethernet connector ended cable into behind the camera, this was on the turret one anyway

I'd second that. No need for any junction boxes

I'll be installing these through the brick, the cable connection on the camera seems long enough to be away from any moisture outside. Might still use some caulk though.

Saw a video of these being set up, very straight forward. He did mention having to reset them after testing, is that necessary or can I plug everything in to test, then mount them and plug them back in again? My brother in law will be mounting them, ideally I'd like to get setup beforehand, have them mounted then reconnect.

I'll be installing these through the brick, the cable connection on the camera seems long enough to be away from any moisture outside. Might still use some caulk though.

Saw a video of these being set up, very straight forward. He did mention having to reset them after testing, is that necessary or can I plug everything in to test, then mount them and plug them back in again? My brother in law will be mounting them, ideally I'd like to get setup beforehand, have them mounted then reconnect.
    Ya set them up first to make sure everything ok

Try rfconcepts.ie
    You can make up that kit for 472 with the higher specced DS-2CD2347G1-LU camera which has a microphone but the L model doesn't (discounted when multi buy is enabled).
    I'd also go for the 7608 nvr as you can support 8 cameras instead of 4 (future proofing) and 2 hard drives instead of 1 (in case of HDD failure). Comes in at 547 including delivery so only 30 more than the one on cctv Ireland for a better nvr and cameras. Assuming you meant this kit:

https://www.cctvireland.ie/two-camera-cctv-kit-with-4mp-colorvu-cameras-from-hikvision-1tb.html

Edit: I see an option to upgrade the cameras on cctv Ireland too, bringing it to 544. I'd still pick the 7608 nvr on rfconcepts for the extra 3 euro though.

I definitely won't need 8 channels, this is just to keep an eye on things. I wouldn't have anywhere to put more than 4 cameras anyway and I have room for 2 additional cameras if needed.

I don't see a 2.8mm with a microphone but the two cameras without a mic, 5m/20m cable and 2TB 7604 is €504 Vs €562, that's a nice saving!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I bought all mine from freetv.ie

EZ by Dahua™ 4 Way NVR (6MP w/ 4x PoE)
    EZ by Dahua™ 4MP Turret Network Camera (30m IR, 2.8mm Lens)

Mine is a semi d but has a garage to the side
    I've mounted the camera underneath the canopy over the garage which is practically at the side of the house by the entrance

If I angle it towards the front door it will almost cover the full drive and front garden
    I think a 3.6mm would be fine for what you are looking for
    try and get a camera that gets a license plate

for 20 euro you can get a driveway detector it beeps if someone walks up your driveway

you can also get motion detectot light that also beeps if it gets movement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

Hi all,

If I was to go for something like this

Do you know if the cameras can be installed through the soffits? I'm potentially getting external insulation added to the house and it would be nice not to worry about drilling into the insulation.

Daith wrote: »
    Hi all,

If I was to go for something like this

Do you know if the cameras can be installed through the soffits? I'm potentially getting external insulation added to the house and it would be nice not to worry about drilling into the insulation.

I think that's usually the preferred method for a lot of people as opposed to going through the brick. Just make sure you have the right lens camera, if it's two or three storey then 2.8mm might be too wide. Similarly a 4mm might be too narrow view for a single storey. Depends on what you want to see i.e overview of the road, a driveway/gate etc.

Also have a look at the website RF Concepts that machiavellianme mentioned a few posts back, the same kit is around €60 less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

I think that's usually the preferred method for a lot of people as opposed to going through the brick. Just make sure you have the right lens camera, if it's two or three storey then 2.8mm might be too wide. Similarly a 4mm might be too narrow view for a single storey. Depends on what you want to see i.e overview of the road, a driveway/gate etc.

Also have a look at the website RF Concepts that machiavellianme mentioned a few posts back, the same kit is around €60 less.

Cheers, thanks for that. It's for a two storey typical Dublin council house. Will have a look at website.

Daith wrote: »
    Cheers, thanks for that. It's for a two storey typical Dublin council house. Will have a look at website.

if you mount it in the soffit of a standard 2 storey house with a 2.8mm lens then I would imagine you would be capturing most of the street

the FOV angle for a 2.8mm is just over 100deg which is very wide from about 16.5ft above ground

I have 2x 2.8mm mounted about 7ft above ground and its ok for that but if I was to go from the roof soffit I would go maybe 6mm lens

Best way to check what I did was find the FOV angle for the camera you are considering, say for example its a 2.8mm lens with a fov of 100 deg

get 2 sticks and make an internal angle of 100deg or close as and point that angle in the direction of what you want to detect at the height you are planning to mount the camera

in between that angle is typically what it will view

While not perfect, this calculator will give you a feeling of the different lenses and what you might see. Some of the features require an account but you'll get the jist between the 2.8mm, 4mm and 6mm versions. https://calculator.ipvm.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Anyone recommend any good cctv deals on amazon prime. So many different brands and same specs and different prices

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rayzercork

just make sure the guards dont know its there otherwise theyre gonna haunt you whenever something happens. had the same problem a while back..

Anyone recommend any good cctv deals on amazon prime. So many different brands and same specs and different prices

Stay away from anything made by swan would be my advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Stay away from anything made by swan would be my advice

Oh really thanks ðŸ‘. What would u recommend. so many different ones on prime day that would be good value

Got my delivery from RF Concepts today, glad I didn't pay for next day or express shipping since it was next day anyway! Very easy to set up, just have to wait for them to be installed on the walls. Lovely bit of kit.

I must look into that Australian firmware to have the LEDs come on with motion as the back garden would be very dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Granite Head

Thanks for this thread - reading it with interest. I'm looking at setting up a CCTV system myself.

Based on the great advice in this thread currently looking at;

Hikvision NVR 4ch With POE DS-7604NI-K1/4P
    3x Hikvision DS-2CD2347G1-LU ColorVu IP 4mm & Mic Turret Cameras

A few questions;

(1) looking to add a cheap internal camera to complete the system - any suggestions?
    (2) Two of the cameras will be wall mounted with the cable running down the (brick) wall (from the roof) to them. Do I need a junction box to fix and connect the cameras?
    (3) Also looking at possibly using a bracket (Hikvision DS-1273ZJ-135 Wall Bracket VF IP Dome) to improve the viewing angle and mount to the wall. Does this need a junction box? Or does it replace a junction box?

TIA

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Sprints, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine, Therapy, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Amble

• Advertisement

I have one camera set up as you described and didn't use any junction boxes or brackets. That's not to say they mightnt be useful, they just aren't essential.

Advertisement