Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Dance (Netflix)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Somebody mentioned Kobe there. How good was he compared to Jordan? "Just" the best player in the league, or a once in a generation/once in a lifetime kinda player?

Tier below, I'd have said.

He'll be talked about in terms of top 10, top 5 of all time given the numbers.

But even within that there are levels. LeBron and Jordan are the only two really in the conversation for GOAT, imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Loozer

I was over there in the 90s,

Jordan was as famous as Tiger Woods back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭showpony1

Agree on that its the same in every sport. Indeed even in soccer you see it with Liverpool now and trying to knock us.

Hamilton,Joshua, Mcillroy all different sports but all characters that divide opinion.

Outrageous to compare the Bulls going for yet another title in the 90s to Liverpool almost winning one title in the modern era.
    I assumed you'd more logically compare Jordan to the aging Ronaldo/Messi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Must get onto my Dad about his PED use so... :pac:
    Is your dad over six and a half foot tall?

Is your dad over six and a half foot tall?

He's taller than his parents and siblings by 6" plus.

I have never seen anything to suggest that HGH would cause an extreme growth increase in someone 18+ that is already at the taller end for their age. Someone like a young Messi who had a deficiency, yes. But not someone already tall. But that's not to say it hasn't been shown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Latest two episodes were awesome, teardrop by José González when he won the Championship on fathers day was class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Never knew about what happened to his father!! Dunno how that passed me by, always thought he was in jail or something for some reason!
    Last two episodes were great (again). For a guy who was a "tyrant" on the court, he certainly wasn't/isn't afraid to show his emotions. Especially the "not a nice guy" comment, really got to him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I enjoyed these episodes, especially that they aren't glossing over anything, last 2 episodes next week :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I grew up watching the Bulls come of age and the NBA became a world wide spectator sport with the aid of the Dream Team - they were just a ridiculous level of awesome. The training game they showed.....savage going by all of them.
    Jordan is in a league of his own. I cannot fathom another player over taking him. Le Bron. Magic, Bird were terrific players with a skill level that would frighten good players. Really enjoying watching it back and the headlines they made.

He almost made it a skill to manufacture a sleight that made him want to destroy your team the next time out.

The emotion when they
    won in 96
    gets you right in the feels. Especially when so much time has been given to his singular desire to win, almost as if he was an automaton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Goodigal

Am absolutely loving this at the moment. Grew up watching the Pistons and Suns and the Bulls. Forgot the battles they Had!! Loved Scottie Pippen and he comes across well in it. Jordan is ruthless. But you got to be like that to be a winner like him. Looking forward to the last 2 episodes.

He almost made it a skill to manufacture a sleight that made him want to destroy your team the next time out.

The emotion when they won in 96 gets you right in the feels. Especially when so much time has been given to his singular desire to win, almost as if he was an automaton.

Some of us didn't know the outcome of 96

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

To channel my inner Michael 'dont be coming in here with that bullsh*t'

To be fair it's a rookie mistake to come into the thread without being up to date setting yourself up for spoilers

Apologies. I assumed everyone did. Spoiler function now applied. You might want to edit your quote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

We are on episodes 7&8, most of the story has revolved around them going for a second three-peat in Jordan’s last season (98) and you hadn’t figured out that they’d won in 96 and 97?? How did you think they were going for another treble??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

It's fact, hardly the spoiler of a fictional series

Not like it's Harchester United going for the league or something

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

In fairness to Alf they mentioned the outcome of that season in episode 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I watched episode 7 last night and they had the bit where at the end of the game Phil was going to have the Croatian guy take the last shot and Pippen took a huff and refused to go in. And how basically the entire team felt let down by him, to the point that one of them made a speech in the dressing room after and cried, it had that much of an impact. But what I found very interesting was that Pippen in the current day interviews said he'd do the same thing again. I couldn't get my head around that. Its one thing to do something stupid in the heat of the moment but to stick by that decision years later, over something so petty is odd.

I hadn't heard about Jordan's father or what happened to him. Or even the rumours that his retirement might have been a secret suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

It's a great show. What I find most fascinating is the window into his mentality and his drive to win. He couldn't let anything go, if you or I had that kind of drive, even without a particular skill you would probably go quite far in life. You can see the cost to him with regard to his relationships. Would the team have won without him driving them so hard? All things come at a price.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    It's fact, hardly the spoiler of a fictional series

Not like it's Harchester United going for the league or something

Do not slight the magnificance that is Dream Team, still the best sports drama of all time, Linda and Luis, match made in heaven :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Goodigal wrote: »
    Am absolutely loving this at the moment. Grew up watching the Pistons and Suns and the Bulls. Forgot the battles they Had!! Loved Scottie Pippen and he comes across well in it. Jordan is ruthless. But you got to be like that to be a winner like him. Looking forward to the last 2 episodes.

Really??? I think he comes across as a selfish egotisical player, he signed a contract but wanted to renegiotate, when they wouldn't he threw his toys out of the pram, he timed surgery to impact the team rather than himself and he refused to play becuase he wasn't going to get the ball, all of which he doesn't appologize for

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Clareman wrote: »
    Do not slight the magnificance that is Dream Team, still the best sports drama of all time, Linda and Luis, match made in heaven :pac::pac::pac::pac:

They'd have had some laugh during the season leicester won the league! All the games ready for a slight purple-ing of the Leicester jersey.

Very disappointing to hear Pippen say he'd do it all again but at least he's true to himself.
    His dunk over Ewing was something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Have just watched all the available episodes. I am amazed at how unlikeable all the main players are. I never knew about any of the off the court stuff. They were great basketball players but most of them come across as horrible people.

razorblunt wrote: »
    They'd have had some laugh during the season leicester won the league! All the games ready for a slight purple-ing of the Leicester jersey.

Very disappointing to hear Pippen say he'd do it all again but at least he's true to himself.
    His dunk over Ewing was something else.

I remember being in awe of the technology they used at the time, they picked purple because no other team had it and it was the easiest to cover over other colours with, it's the small things really :)

The Bulls to me were a great bunch of individuals who had a leader turn them into a great team but once that leader left they all fell apart, I thought Phil Jackson did a great job of managing the whole thing and not letter Jordan away with too much or bringing him back in line, stuff like throwing him out of practise when he went too far but also giving him the leeway to go too far.

It's a great documentry, but I am a huge 30 for 30 fan, the way they go into a topic and showcase it is great, especially stuff that you mightn't be familar with over here. Must re-watch them actually

KaneToad wrote: »
    Have just watched all the available episodes. I am amazed at how unlikeable all the main players are. I never knew about any of the off the court stuff. They were great basketball players but most of them come across as horrible people.

Almost everyone who gets to the top of their profession, especially sportspeople, tend to come across as d1cks when they have a camera & mic pointed at them and are asked to talk about themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Hooked

I'm glued to this since it was announced earlier in the year...

I played a bit of ball (not a starter) with a really good school team in the early 90's. Had cousins living in Chicago who used to post over the gear... T-Shirts and the like... Made my own backboard (Bulls of course) and had hoop out the front.

It's bringing ALL the nostalgia back - with the added "grown up" me seeing all the fine detail of his life, the Bulls backroom stuff, USA Dream Team training, and getting to see the man behind the success. I REALLY felt for Scotty Pippen... he took the long 'safe' contract to protect his family - and could have made so much more dough!

You simply cannot be that driven, dragging team mates along, propping up a dynasty, coping with the press/pressure and dealing with the loss of your father - without being a bit of a self-absorbed díçk... But it's just made me respect him even more!

The bit at the end of episode 8 where he gets emotional about seeing people's opinions of him... got me right in the feels.

Can't wait for 9 and 10!

PS-
    Is it wrong that I've since made another board/hoop (have to do something to keep fit during Covid19 :D), bought the '92 training top and am waiting on a pair of "fake" Jordan 1 Low Tops. I'm almost 42 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Nermal

Hrududu wrote: »
    But what I found very interesting was that Pippen in the current day interviews said he'd do the same thing again. I couldn't get my head around that. Its one thing to do something stupid in the heat of the moment but to stick by that decision years later, over something so petty is odd.

Pippen genuinely seems a bit slow. No doubt that's something to do with the drawl he talks in but listening to him, you certainly don't get the impression that he's sharp.

We are on episodes 7&8, most of the story has revolved around them going for a second three-peat in Jordan’s last season (98) and you hadn’t figured out that they’d won in 96 and 97?? How did you think they were going for another treble??

Actually got confused. I thought he was taking about 98 rather than 96. My mistake.

I think would be slightly uncool to casually talk about what would happen in episodes not released yet even though its based on reality. The thing the whole series has been building up to, you know, The Last Dance.

Hrududu wrote: »
    I watched episode 7 last night and they had the bit where at the end of the game Phil was going to have the Croatian guy take the last shot and Pippen took a huff and refused to go in. And how basically the entire team felt let down by him, to the point that one of them made a speech in the dressing room after and cried, it had that much of an impact. But what I found very interesting was that Pippen in the current day interviews said he'd do the same thing again. I couldn't get my head around that. Its one thing to do something stupid in the heat of the moment but to stick by that decision years later, over something so petty is odd..

I think he probably gave himself the benefit of the doubt and framed it, to himself at least, that because it happened, the impact on his teammates, realising he needed to apologise etc, that it had a galvanising effect on them as a team which benefitted all. That's possibly why he said he'd do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Not sure I'm on board with the bad feeling projected towards pippin here. Breaking it down my interpretation is mj wasnt there he led the team in his absence.. he had learned from mjs mentality and wanted to be the driving force. It's the elite mentality if mj was playing would he have taken the shot? You better believe it so I wouldn't massively hold it against pippin that that's what he was trying to replicate. Granted taking himself out of the game wasnt a good way to react but that comes with the ruthless mentality

Advertisement