Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

roundymac wrote: »
    Cork is owned and run by the DAA. I'll let people figure out themselves why it's being run the way it is.

The DAA is a semistate company. People spent years trying to get Shannon airport run independently from the DAA. They succeeded and the airport only went backwards. Now people have been trying to get the DAA back running Shannon. Be careful what you wish for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,234 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

IngazZagni wrote: »
    The DAA is a semistate company. People spent years trying to get Shannon airport run independently from the DAA. They succeeded and the airport only went backwards. Now people have been trying to get the DAA back running Shannon. Be careful what you wish for.

The airport went backwards? Not what the figures show.

Who wants Shannon back in the DAA?

This isn't to say the DAA held back the airport in any significant form, self leadership is better though.

The DAA was for many years a very convenient scapegoat for Shannon to blame it's problems on, and it remains so for Cork. When routes arrive and the airport grows everyone is delighted, anything minor happens and everyone runs out and conveniently blames the DAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

daithi7 wrote: »
    Exactly, so because of the incompetence and lack of foresight of Cork Airport's management in not bringing forward runway maintenance to sometime in the last 8 months, the whole aer lingus flight & ground staff ( and many others) are effectively being laid off for 3+ months this autumn!!

Pretty spectacular, public sector mismanagement if you ask me!!

The tendering/procurement process and laws that need to be followed to get the 30 million funding to complete this work has been explained to you on this thread several times now. Yet you still ignore these facts for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

Acosta wrote: »
    The tendering/procurement process and laws that need to be followed to get the 30 million funding to complete this work has been explained to you on this thread several times now. Yet you still ignore these facts for some reason.

Also to mention that construction crews were also shut down in the lock downs before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭daithi7

Dude,
    I know the tendering laws & procedures backwards, fyi I've worked for over 30 in public procurement as a consultant, so I hardly need some numbskulls on boards trying to excuse poor performance by trying to hide behind public procurement procedural delays.

All they had to do was do their contractor pre clearance separately, have that out of the way during the first lockdown day and then do the runway procurement for the spring of 2021.

Why because this when flu season is always still in full flow, and we were in the middle of a fuppin flu pandemic, so the probability was the airport would be down to a trickle or closed during this period.

Did the DAA managed airport do this? No. Instead they're closing the airport for scheduled maintenance just when international air travel will be just getting into full recovery mode.

Ryanair are already effectively gone from Cork, Aer lingus Cork will be closed down for this recovery period, and numpties on here want us all to be happy clappy, just cos they'll have procured 30M worth of resurfacing 6 months too late, after a year of closure.

Well boo fuppin hoo. Good on Cork Airport, how are you going to squander the remaining goodwill and airline business of the region!?!

Dude,
    I know the tendering laws & procedures backwards, fyi I've worked for over 30 in public procurement as a consultant, so I hardly need some numbskulls on boards trying to excuse poor performance by trying to hide behind public procurement procedural delays.

All they had to do was do their contractor pre clearance separately, have that out of the way during the first lockdown day and then do the runway procurement for the spring of 2021.

Why because this when flu season is always still in full flow, and we were in the middle of a fuppin flu pandemic, so the probability was the airport would be down to a trickle or closed during this period.

Did the DAA managed airport do this? No. Instead they're closing the airport for scheduled maintenance just when international air travel will be just getting into full recovery mode.

In March last year nobody envisaged we would be in the state we were in come Spring 2021. Worst case scenario was it would be fine by the end of last year.

You're rattling out dates and time frames like everyone knew exactly how long the lockdowns and restrictions were going to last.

When the first lockdown was announced it was officially only for a couple of weeks. It was well reported at the time that the country would hopefully reopen in around 6 weeks after the middle of March. And you're saying that the airport should have been fast tracking the work to be done early this year?
    When the government gave up on saying things would be OK by the summer, it was then hopefully things will be fine by Christmas and into the new year. And then look what happened with the variants.
    It was all guess work and if governments here and all over the world were basically just winging it, how on earth was the airport management to know back in March last year when would be the best time to do the work?

It sounds like last autumn the airport management gave up on waiting any longer on guessing what state the virus would be in come the middle of this year, picked a date to do the work and stuck with it.

And I can't see how they could have secured a contractor early last year for a job they had at that point no funding for?

Ryanair are already effectively gone from Cork, Aer lingus Cork will be closed down for this recovery period, and numpties on here want us all to be happy clappy, just cos they'll have procured 30M worth of resurfacing 6 months too late, after a year of closure.

Well boo fuppin hoo. Good on Cork Airport, how are you going to squander the remaining goodwill and airline business of the region!?!

Ryanair are scheduled to start flights to Luton, Stansted, Alicante and Wroclaw in a week and a half.

In March last year nobody envisaged we would be in the state we were in come Spring 2021. Worst case scenario was it would be fine by the end of last year.
    When the first lockdown was announced it was officially only for a couple of weeks. It was well reported at the time that the country would hopefully reopen in around 6 weeks after the middle of March.....

Ah jeez, I accept nobody can 100% predict the future, but can you at least recall the recent past with some degree of accuracy?!

What you're writing above is purely subjective fiction imho, you're trying to totally rewrite the past, to support your highly tenuous narrative....

Now back to the (predicting the probable) future. It was pretty evident and likely last autumn that there would be no major change in lockdown, etc until mass vaccination was possible. The earliest this was ever going to be possible, was this spring/ summer in Ireland ,which even at that is only thanks to a miracle of modern pharma & medicine.

So last autumn was the time for Cork Airport management to get their finger out for once, and do their contractor pre clearance & other pre procurement work, for any possible scheduled airport maintenance services, that they might be considering bringing forward.

They didn't do this then, because they're an incompetent shower, who couldn't organise a pi$$ up in a brewery!!

Now we have an airport closing when air travel will just be expanding, and Aer Lingus are closing down in Cork. Top marks to Cork Airport's management, (the DAA) for what they won't ever teach you (or ever want to) at Hardvard Business School!!

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/up-to-130-aer-lingus-jobs-to-go-as-airline-closes-shannon-base-1.4568363

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭flexcon

Now back to the (predicting the probable) future. It was pretty evident and likely last autumn that there would be no major change in lockdown, etc until mass vaccination was possible.

Well considering two of cork MAJOR mnc were convinced otherwise and returned employees to work only to be sent home again 4 weeks later .. they too got caught out. In fact I’ve seen how much one of them spent on resources and time to achieve that into for it to go down the drain.

You seem to be convinced that what cork Airport done was incompetence. It’s most likely them hedging one way and it turned out the other.

Ah jeez, I accept nobody can 100% predict the future, but can you at least recall the recent past with some degree of accuracy?!

What you're writing above is purely subjective fiction imho, you're trying to totally rewrite the past, to support your highly tenuous narrative....

Which part was fiction? Are you saying it was a widely held belief throughout last year by government and medics that in the first 4 or 5 months of this year we would have around 500 cases a day? This year was meant to be getting back to normal, albeit slowly, as the vaccines were rolled out. The new variants ruined any chances of having a somewhat normal first few months of this year.

Also, from the middle of March last year we had lockdowns that were first meant to be a couple of weeks and basically kept being extended. These are facts, not fiction. You couldn't plan for much in a climate were we all basically being told that hopefully things will be OK in a few weeks.
    Now back to the (predicting the probable) future. It was pretty evident and likely last autumn that there would be no major change in lockdown, etc until mass vaccination was possible. The earliest this was ever going to be possible, was this spring/ summer in Ireland ,which even at that is only thanks to a miracle of modern pharma & medicine.

So last autumn was the time for Cork Airport management to get their finger out for once, and do their contractor pre clearance & other pre procurement work, for any possible scheduled airport maintenance services, that they might be considering bringing forward.

It was last autumn that they put the tender out and made the request for the funding. Which is why the closing and re-opening dates were confirmed last month. According to them and everyone else I've heard talk about it, it took by law 6 months for the tender to be chosen and the funding secured. If you know better, perhaps you should give them a call. Maybe they could do with you expertise on the payroll..
    Now we have an airport closing when air travel will just be expanding, and Aer Lingus are closing down in Cork. Top marks to Cork Airport's management, (the DAA) for what they won't ever teach you (or ever want to) at Hardvard Business School!!

Aer Lingus are closing their base in September like all the other airlines are shutting their operations. They will be back at the end of November.

Aer Lingus are closing their base in September like all the other airlines are shutting their operations. They will be back at the end of November.

There are things called "opportunity costs" and "disruption costs", that neither you or the DAA management of Cork Airport seem to understand.

Once you shut down operations, and lay off staff, even for Only 10 weeks, you lose customers, staff, goodwill, suppliers, etc, etc, etc

The opportunity costs and disruption costs of shutting down Cork Airport just when the travelling public will be back flying again are huge. This is a scandal imho and heads should roll for it.

It's pure incompetence, and it is costing Cork Airport in the short, medium & long term, and with prudent management it could have been avoided imho. Awful!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

You need to check your timelines Daithi. When did Cork Airport receive approval for this funding? Your claim that this could have been started last Autumn is pure fantasy.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    You need to check your timelines Daithi. When did Cork Airport receive approval for this funding? Your claim that this could have been started last Autumn is pure fantasy.

You need to check what I posted IngazZ. I've simply stated they could be doing the work now when there is ~ zero air travel , instead of in the autumn, when air travel will be in high demand imho.

And they could have done this with public procurement and budgetary constraints e.g. pre qual tendering for contractors last year would have been a good start!!

The DAA managed Cork Airport got it royally wrong, Again!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭PreCocious

Lots of sour grapes in this thread.

................... and with prudent management it could have been avoided imho. Awful!!

Very subjective and the you'd not have visibility on much if any of the factors tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

has anyone flown to london from cork recently? i want to head over end of june provided i am vaccinated. what is the police presence like at airport if any?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

unplayable wrote: »
    has anyone flown to london from cork recently? i want to head over end of june provided i am vaccinated. what is the police presence like at airport if any?

Eh....????

Masala wrote: »
    Eh....????

my dad flew to portugal on business and was questioned by police as to where he was going and why. just wondering is it the same in cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Hopefully Cork will get used between July and September when this work starts, then hopefully only 2 - 3 months downtime and it'll be back strong again.

I had an AL flight cancelled during the pandemic last year and I've been shifting it forward... it was scheduled for the 8th October to LHR. That has now been automatically rebooked flying from Shannon. I'd figure thats what both AL and Ryanair will do. 2hr drive instead of 30 mins. Yay. But easier than Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

I’m just wondering, given the surge in demand that might happen, could Cork Airport opt to do a slower rebuild of the runway and just do some kind of work around without shutting?

It seems somewhat commercially risky to shut the airport into the ramping back up of aviation in Sept.

Could it end up just taking a year or more to pick up ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

Are all eateries closed in the airport? Does anybody know where I might grab a bite to eat before flying and while waiting for the Covid test result? Thanks a lot.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://twitter.com/corkairport/status/1402535876979212290?s=21

Wonderful to see. The elephant in the room being Aer Lingus and also the regional routes. Haven’t seen an ATR at Cork now since March 2020.

marno21 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/corkairport/status/1402535876979212290?s=21

Wonderful to see. The elephant in the room being Aer Lingus and also the regional routes. Haven’t seen an ATR at Cork now since March 2020.

Aer Lingus seem less enthusiastic about Cork than many of the continental airlines. I wonder, for example will they ever come back to serve Paris or Amsterdam or will that go entirely to Air France KLM.

I sort of get the impression Aer Lingus would happily just be Aer Dublin or a budget transatlantic operator out of Dublin and Manchester.

All that matters is the routes are there. They don’t need to be shamrock airways, but I just wonder what Aer Lingus will look like in 5 years time. The COVID impact and IAG ownership has changed a lot of things.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

British Airways is now London Airways in all but name.

The big question is; these routes were clearly viable pre Covid. If things return to near normal they will surely be viable again. If they can run 30+ flights to London per week there’s definitely still going to be some demand.

Of course, lot of LHR passengers were connecting. Need travel outside of the EU to make those flights busy again. Ditto AMS on EI with the KLM codeshare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I'm still encouraged by the fact AL didn't close their base in Cork. With the pandemic and the works in September they had ample excuse to do so.

EI returning to Palma, Malaga and Faro in July according to the airport Instagram.

Wonderful news

• Advertisement

Looks like cork Dubrovnik is gone. No longer showing in the app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,493 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Stobart Air gone so aer lingus regional flights gone with them

Edit: scratch that, not seeing cork flights there. Thought they ran from cork, and with the announcement last week not having aer lingus in it I thought this explained why

Mushy wrote: »

Awful news :(

Has Cork got Stobart services still...?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,493 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Masala wrote: »
    Has Cork got Stobart services still...?.

Have ab edit in there that seemingly they don't. Guess it's been so long since was on a regional flight to Cork that I assumed they were still going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Edit: scratch that, not seeing cork flights there. Thought they ran from cork, and with the announcement last week not having aer lingus in it I thought this explained why

That announcement last week from Cork airport was very odd. Because we all know for a fact that aer Lingus is running Heathrow. Cork airport came out yesterday on their Instagram 'story' and announced the aer Lingus schedule to include Faro, Malaga and Palma from July

Have ab edit in there that seemingly they don't. Guess it's been so long since was on a regional flight to Cork that I assumed they were still going

I remember in the ‘old days’ seeing up to 3 x daily flights to Manchester with Stobart. 3 times a Day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

That announcement last week from Cork airport was very odd. Because we all know for a fact that aer Lingus is running Heathrow. Cork airport came out yesterday on their Instagram 'story' and announced the aer Lingus schedule to include Faro, Malaga and Palma from July

I noticed their post and also Eamon Ryan in his stobart follow up statement said about non essential travel from 19th July. You'd wonder if 19th July must stand now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭revelman

Anyone have any insights into Swiss Air’s operations from Cork this summer? Tempted to book a flight for August but concerned it will be cancelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I'm booked out with Swiss at the end of July and they have confirmed the flight is going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

What's up with no Lanzarote flights from Cork? That was always busy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭kooga

i see there is a lufthansa flight out of cork this afternoon to Frankfurt @17.25. Great to see

It’s still a pity to see the momentum of all this going to be whacked with 12 week full closure.

So Aer lingus adding

Malaga
    Palma
    Faro.

Come on Alicante! Please! I need to use those vouchers 😂

flexcon wrote: »
    So Aer lingus adding

Malaga
    Palma
    Faro.

Come on Alicante! Please! I need to use those vouchers ��

where did you see this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭kooga

unplayable wrote: »
    where did you see this?

email from aer lingus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Which big airlines fly from cork?

I'm trying to get a flight to Sao Paolo in November.

So somebody like Air France would be able to do it all on one ticket. Cork > Paris > Sao Paolo

What other airlines operate in cork and Brazil?

Lufthansa maybe. Anyone other airlines that could do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

KLM through Amsterdam
    Aer Lingus through Heathrow with BA
    Hop Air France through Charles De Gaulle
    Lufthansa through Frankfurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭thomil

Lufthansa and Air France are summer-only flights for now.

I'd recommend flying with KLM via Amsterdam. You have only one stopover, a decent connection within a single terminal and a good airline. The prices aren't too bad either, roughly 700 for a round trip including 1 piece of checked luggage.

Just keep in mind that Cork Airport will be closed until November 22nd due to the reconstruction of the main runway.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Just to add, British Airways are allowing me to book Cork to Brazil too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

If its Heathrow or Amsterdam to transfer in, I'd recommend Amsterdam under normal circumstances.

However you can travel to the UK from Ireland without any COVID checks/tests/quarantines, I don't know the equivalent for Amsterdam.

KLM through Amsterdam
    Aer Lingus through Heathrow with BA
    Hop Air France through Charles De Gaulle
    Lufthansa through Frankfurt.

Air France is actually a full Air France service. The aircraft is just operated by Hop. The flights even have business class.

You can connect straight through with them via CDG.

Also bear in mind on the way back that mandatory hotel quarantine may apply from Brazil for some time to come. Keep an eye on :
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_to_ireland/hotel_quarantine.html

Brazil is also on the U.K. “red list” and passengers must go into hotel quarantine there too.

The situation may obviously change in a few months, particularly if you’re fully vaccinated, but it’s important to bear in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭revelman

Anyone flown from Cork airport recently? Anyone know if the bar, restaurants cafe are now open?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

When I was there last week bar was closed and the food court, amt coffee was open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,675 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Was just about to ask the above questions. Flying to Switzerland next week and was hoping to get a full meal for a day's travelling before the flight. I assume AMT don't serve anything substantial? Or is the food court open?

Advertisement