Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'' Barstool Republicans''

Options
  • 17-09-2020 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

We all know a few, United Ireland, Still hate the Brits etc etc, Paste the following below to your phone and then ask the ''Brutal Question''...... Name the 6 Counties of Northern Ireland ?
    Derry/Londonderry
    Tyrone
    Antrim
    Down
    Armagh
    Fermanagh

I asked 6, The reactions were hilarious, Only 1 could name all 6, 3 could name 3 and 2 could name 2. 1 knew 1 ! ! They have never bothered me since. Best reaction is to ask them when they are surrounded by ''Mates'' ! !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

You must be a great laugh...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Registered Users Posts: 33,135 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ish66 wrote: »
    We all know a few, United Ireland, Still hate the Brits etc etc, Paste the following below to your phone and then ask the ''Brutal Question''...... Name the 6 Counties of Northern Ireland ?
    Derry/Londonderry
    Tyrone
    Antrim
    Down
    Armagh
    Fermanagh

I asked 6, The reactions were hilarious, Only 1 could name all 6, 3 could name 3 and 2 could name 2. 1 knew 1 ! ! They have never bothered me since. Best reaction is to ask them when they are surrounded by ''Mates'' ! !

You hang around with some thickos.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Akesh wrote: »
    You must be a great laugh...

you are one so, On to Google you go.....

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Proper Republicans wouldn't recognise "Northern Ireland" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I was expecting this to be about Dave Portnoy

Normal One wrote: »
    Proper Republicans wouldn't recognise "Northern Ireland" :rolleyes:
    But surly they must know the 6 they want to add to the 26, No ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Name the occupied 6 counties might have given more correct answers, lol.

Name the occupied 6 counties might have given more correct answers, lol.
    But all 6 are occupied ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,909 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

we all have that friend who says they hate the English, has the wolftones playing and all that but still supports the likes of Man Utd etc and takes trips over to the bad lands for piss ups etc. Honest to god said friend thought Sligo was part of the North

Those type of people need to tone it down in some instances, its good to feel passionate about your country but this is real life and not a movie like Michael Collins or The Wind that shakes the barley etc.

Us in the south no nothing of the hardship people from the North suffer/suffered through the years (on both sides of the community). Id love to see this brave lads on the barstool go up to there and start mouthing off

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    we all have that friend who says they hate the English, has the wolftones playing and all that but still supports the likes of Man Utd etc and takes trips over to the bad lands for piss ups etc. Honest to god said friend thought Sligo was part of the North

Those type of people need to tone it down in some instances, its good to feel passionate about your country but this is real life and not a movie like Michael Collins or The Wind that shakes the barley etc.

Us in the south no nothing of the hardship people from the North suffer/suffered through the years (on both sides of the community). Id love to see this brave lads on the barstool go up to there and start mouthing off
    I could not have put it better myself !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

F**k the nordies. Bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

On boards.ie, barstool West Brits seem to be far more prevalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

tbh I doubt i could name the 26 counties ....

tbh I doubt i could name the 26 counties ....
    Fair enough, But if you are ''Mouthing'' of about the ''Cause'' you really should know what the cause is ! ? Thats my only point ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

But all 6 are occupied ?

Yes, by orange & green people!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Go to Reddit /Ireland - it's all they bloody talk about...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

tdf7187 wrote: »
    On boards.ie, barstool West Brits seem to be far more prevalent.

Definition...?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ish66 wrote:
    We all know a few, United Ireland, Still hate the Brits etc etc, Paste the following below to your phone and then ask the ''Brutal Question''...... Name the 6 Counties of Northern Ireland ? Derry/Londonderry Tyrone Antrim Down Armagh Fermanagh

Do I really need to know this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭CiarraiManc

storker wrote: »
    Definition...?

Anyone who doesn't froth at the mouth at the mere existence of the UK I guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Hey OP....where were you sitting on a barstool ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Some accent up there, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

“Barstool” seems to be used on this forum a lot to describe anyone who supports Irish unity, doesn’t have a strong farmer/D4 disdain for the poor or who doesn’t engage in cloying postcolonial cringe masked as political ‘maturity’.

To be honest OP your mates just sound like thick idiots who had adopted a costume, you get them in all aspects of life. They don’t represent or define everyone with a Republican analysis.

Derry/Londonderry
    Tyrone
    Antrim
    Down
    Armagh
    Fermanagh

Facebook will sort you out OP. You'll find a suitable audience there. Loads of Shamrock / Red Hand GIFS and emojis too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

FTA69 wrote: »
    “Barstool” seems to be used on this forum a lot to describe anyone who supports Irish unity, doesn’t have a strong farmer/D4 disdain for the poor or who doesn’t engage in cloying postcolonial cringe masked as political ‘maturity’.

To be honest OP your mates just sound like thick idiots who had adopted a costume, you get them in all aspects of life. They don’t represent or define everyone with a Republican analysis.

Not at all. It's the same as when "Armchair" gets used. The difference is in the setting. By using barstool, they are suggesting one spends time talking about or engaging in the subject, primarily at the pub around other people, instead of actually going forth and doing something.

It's mainly used by people who follow Irish football clubs, against those who follow football clubs from other regions. As it's generally watched in a pub and their level of support is considered trivial, due to less regular attendance at matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

F**k-off ye free-state ©µṅṰ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭KevRossi

PTH2009 wrote: »

You just need to look at the number of people from the South who went up North and took up a gun during the Troubles. There were very few when you consider we had ca. 3.5 million people back then.
    FTA69 wrote: »

My Dad was an advocate of Irish unity, but he wanted a peaceful transition. He worked for a few years as a sales rep in NI at the height of the Troubles and he saw the worst of what went on. It left an impression on him.

I can remember a few times when refugee families stayed a couple of nights in our house in Dublin during the worst of it, while waiting to be rehoused here. He was prepared to do that, but he wouldn't get involved with anything else, even when asked.

The majority of people did very little. Shouted all sorts of 'Brits Out' shyte, but did feck all to help. Those people still exist, absolute PITA and I do my level best to avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Tyroneshire
    Antrimshire
    Downshire
    Armaghshire
    Fermanaghshire
    Londonderry

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

By the way, I’m not saying these type of people don’t exist. I was active in the Republican Movement for years when I was in Ireland and I remember all manner of people who’d scream and shout about stuff but wouldn’t give you so much as a euro when you were selling the paper or collecting for prisoners.

My only point is that these people aren’t representatives of Republicanism as an ideology as a whole and that on this site, “barstool” gets thrown around all the time (usually by people who’d have absolute conniptions if you called them a ‘West Brit’)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

grayzer75 wrote: »
    F**k-off ye free-state ©µṅṰ :D

Mod
    We'll have no breaking the Good Friday Agreement here.

Advertisement