Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrambler bikes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I'll just post this up again for some context as to what we're dealing with here.
    https://imgur.com/a/1x9dH40

I doubt if any one of them knows who Marc Marquez is.

Better they kill themselves than crush innocent people like what happened to that poor man in Darndale. I've seen them flying up and down Amiens st, in what other capital city in the civilised world would you see feral kids flying around the city centre on illegal scramblers?

See this is my issue. It's actually not unheard of to see other cities completely taken over by them. UK Police deal with it a bit, I believe, and it appears across the US from time to time, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJet7JKrc0g

We're on the path to that over here, but no one is addressing it. It's infuriating. I don't see why they can't just make them illegal unless you have a specific license to own one (ie; a farmer can own one).

I mean, there are certifications required and logs kept of who can supply certain weedkillers, and who they sell them to, and joe soap can't just wander into a shop and buy X weedkiller... yet anyone can just randomly pick up a completely illegal high powered motorbike, willy nilly.

Do they even have log books?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I'd love an auld scrambler. Where do I get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Better they kill themselves than crush innocent people like what happened to that poor man in Darndale. I've seen them flying up and down Amiens st, in what other capital city in the civilised world would you see feral kids flying around the city centre on illegal scramblers?

Why does it have to be either or?

I can't believe the vile, inhumane filth coming out here.
    It seems people see a 10 year old child driving illegally on a bike and actually hopes said child kills themselves.
    I Fcuking hate you people - you are the scum if that's what you think.

And before you all start jumping up and down with facts, I have not once defended the illegal use of scramblers by anyone.

See this is my issue. It's actually not unheard of to see other cities completely taken over by them. UK Police deal with it a bit, I believe, and it appears across the US from time to time, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJet7JKrc0g

We're on the path to that over here, but no one is addressing it. It's infuriating. I don't see why they can't just make them illegal unless you have a specific license to own one (ie; a farmer can own one).

I mean, there are certifications required and logs kept of who can supply certain weedkillers, and who they sell them to, and joe soap can't just wander into a shop and buy X weedkiller... yet anyone can just randomly pick up a completely illegal high powered motorbike, willy nilly.

Do they even have log books?
    They would buy a legal bike and drove it illegally.
    In fact, some of them already do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭bmc58

I got one for the young lad. He was absolutely thrilled. You should have seen his face. Delighted so he was.

He's 13 so plenty old enough. I was driving tractors before that age.

As a doting and caring parent I assume you're young lad has a provisional licence and insurance.

pablo128 wrote: »
    They would buy a legal bike and drove it illegally.
    In fact, some of them already do.

As I said - if they were electric bikes and didn't make any noise, nobody would care. It's the noise that irks people more than anything else in my opinion.

Those electric scooters are able to do serious enough speeds. A belt of one of them wouldn't be much fun. But no one cares about them and they're seen as the future, because they're not annoying people on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Why does it have to be either or?

I can't believe the vile, inhumane filth coming out here.
    It seems people see a 10 year old child driving illegally on a bike and actually hopes said child kills themselves.
    I Fcuking hate you people - you are the scum if that's what you think.

And before you all start jumping up and down with facts, I have not once defended the illegal use of scramblers by anyone.

I don't think anyone actually wants these kids to die, but the types of people who buy their kids scramblers aren't exactly held in high regard or very endearing to civilised people, so go and take some deep breaths and realise you're reading a discussion forum on the internet.

bmc58 wrote: »
    As a doting and caring parent I assume you're young lad has a provisional licence and insurance.

Not needed on private land. I'm assuming Patrick has a bit of land though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

https://youtu.be/K1Sre8iS1XU

Gardai need to take lead out of the British polices handbook. Ram the fcukers.,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I don't think anyone actually wants these kids to die, but the types of people who buy their kids scramblers aren't exactly held in high regard or very endearing to civilised people, so go and take some deep breaths and realise you're reading a discussion forum on the internet.

That is exactly what more than one poster here said.
    No fuzziness. Actually wishing they kill themselves.
    Internet warrior scum.

I'm not new here. I know what goes on but this is a new low.

Internet warrior scum.

It’s natural selection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Tippsman

https://youtu.be/K1Sre8iS1XU

Gardai need to take lead out of the British polices handbook. Ram the fcukers.,

Ram kids? No licence tax or insurance isnt a big deal to ram kids.

Tippsman wrote: »
    Ram kids? No licence tax or insurance isnt a big deal to ram kids.

Yes, ram kids. Only thing the feral rats will understand. Any medical costs to be looked after by the patents.

Yes, ram kids. Only thing the feral rats will understand. Any medical costs to be looked after by the patents.

That's idoic.

And any person who chooses to follow such an order deserve everything they get

What if the parent didn't buy the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

The estates on the south side of Limerick City have been reverberating to a veritable orchestra of scrambler engines over the last 20 minutes.

It was a tragic accident he was only kid on his motorbike !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

guyfo wrote: »
    Yes, but the propaganda I've head on the radio leading up to Xmas didn't mention that. Scramblers are bad, don't buy your kids one was the jist of it. Not only buy your kid a scrambler if you are willing to put in the effort, and weekends spent away at race tracks!

The radio stuff wasn't propaganada. Telling people something you don't want to hear isnt propaganda. There's s a 30 second piece from the head of spinal surgery in the Mater talking about the consequences of an accident on these scramblers. Paraplegia, tetraplegia, bladder and bowel issues. If you get one of these for your child for Christmas and let them out in the streets with it you're a terrible parent. I wouldn't let my child use one of these in a controlled environment either.

That's idoic.

And any person who chooses to follow such an order deserve everything they get

What if the parent didn't buy the bike?

If a minor is on a scrambler it’s the parents fault. It’s their job to raise a non scummer kid. No one else’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

Internet warrior scum.

have some cheese with your Whine, these dirtbags are the children, brothers, nephews etc. of violent drug dealers, it all goes hand in hand, the intimidation, the violence, the fact that these children are learning from a very young age that the law simply does not apply to them.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/existence-of-policing-no-go-areas-denied-by-garda-1.4112532

criminal gangs are using anti-social behaviour to attempt to drive gardaí from communities.

It's all part and parcel of the general lawlessness that's become embedded in these areas.

I'm guessing you live in some leafy well policed suburb, good for you, and I mean that, I wouldn't want anyone to have to live in an area where drug dealers essentially mark their territory by riding up and down main roads and through housing estates all day, and bring up the next generation with them. Now call me an edgelord and an internet warrior, that will automatically make me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

As I said - if they were electric bikes and didn't make any noise, nobody would care. It's the noise that irks people more than anything else in my opinion.

Those electric scooters are able to do serious enough speeds. A belt of one of them wouldn't be much fun. But no one cares about them and they're seen as the future, because they're not annoying people on them.

Absolute pony.

It wasn't the noise of the bike that smashed that fellas head in last year while he was lying down enjoying the park with his wife. It was the weight and the unsupervised moron driving it.

Electric bikes are the same weight or heavier and frankly deadlier in those circumstances.

Waffles.
    .know your vehicles fella before you comment.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Absolute pony.

It wasn't the noise of the bike that smashed that fellas head in last year while he was lying down enjoying the park with his wife. It was the weight and the unsupervised moron driving it.

Electric bikes are the same weight or heavier and frankly deadlier in those circumstances.

Waffles.
    .know your vehicles fella before you comment.

What are you talking about?

I could kill you in seconds with my car, but no one complains about my car.

The noise is the issue with them, its the reason people hate them. The chances of being killed on one aren't that great, but it's just part of the argument against them as general decent members of the public have decided they hate them, and it's mostly down to the noise.

I don't know how you managed to subtract 'electric bikes aren't dangerous' from my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

He's right, though.

There's a scrambler or two in my area. I'm always hoping for the day I hear of a fatal accident involving it. I won't feign sadness or sympathy - I'd be delighted - as would many hundreds of others that live in my area.

Jaysus. Were you visited by four ghosts last night?

If a minor is on a scrambler it’s the parents fault. It’s their job to raise a non scummer kid. No one else’s.

No it's not.
    What kid wouldn't want a motorised vehicle at any age?
    Children are scummers because they like something motorised, stay in your cloud in cuckoo land.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No it's not.
    What kid wouldn't want a motorised vehicle at any age?
    Children are scummers because they like something motorised, stay in your cloud in cuckoo land.

Parents are there to make sensible choices for their 'I want a scrambler' children. Sadly, many are not more than children themselves.
    It's only a birrova laff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Scramblers, ponies, rifle, a mail order bride, an exploding chainsaw maybe, whatever the little angels want. As long as it gets them out of the house while mammy and new daddy get off their trolley.

They'll soon join original daddy in the joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I wanted a helicopter when I was 10.

Guess why I didn’t get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

endacl wrote: »

Your parents didn’t love you? ;)

Their dole was cut off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

You got a scrambler instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There's a video I just received going around from this morning. A child no more than 5 I would say because he has a soother in his mouth being put on a petrol motorcycle he just got for Christmas.

He gets on and drives it about 4 meters at speed straight into a big lamppost and just about lamps his head off it. No helmet no nothing.

Anyone who is arguing in here about motorsports or some other ****e about electric bikes and noise is an imbecile and has zero thought for kids like this.

Videos evidently from Dublin looks like finglas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement