Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need a knee replacement

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭horsey63

CavanGilly wrote: »
    Stick with it Cork Lass, it will deffo be worth it :)

I met with my consultant a couple of weeks ago and he is going to discuss my case with his colleagues. He seems reluctant to go for replacement given my age but I want a quality of life. I the meantime I am getting an injection into it on Thursday for the pain. I doubt it will do much good but I suppose no harm in trying.
    glad your consultation went well, but to be honest, you're bone on bone and the relief you get from a steroid injection might be very short lived. I had my first knee replacement at 40 and I agree its all about quality of life, I'm sure he has told you that there is a high probability that you will need a revision knee replacement down the line but for me that was a risk worth taking. The one that was put in at 40 is still functioning 14 years later, but the one put in by a different surgeon (original guy went to the galway clinic) only lasted 2 years as it was a non cemented one and never 'took'. Good luck with the injection

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I'm 22 days post op now and it's going grand. Movement is very stiff but I'm sure I'll get there. I was mainly bone on bone but I never had the injections. I went straight to the main event. I'm almost 53 so may need a revision down the line but that's a worry for another day.

Ok, 10 weeks post op and I just thought I'd post an update and look for some advice from others. Things have not gone well for me and I have a very stiff leg. I went back to my consultant today and he is bringing me back in for a manipulation next week. I'm devastated- I've worked so hard, both before and after the surgery. If I'm being honest I'd be the first to I'd accuse anyone needing a manipulation of not doing their excerses but I have worked so hard!! Has anyone else found the in this situation and if so, how did it work out for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Ok, 10 weeks post op and I just thought I'd post an update and look for some advice from others. Things have not gone well for me and I have a very stiff leg. I went back to my consultant today and he is bringing me back in for a manipulation next week. I'm devastated- I've worked so hard, both before and after the surgery. If I'm being honest I'd be the first to I'd accuse anyone needing a manipulation of not doing their excerses but I have worked so hard!! Has anyone else found the in this situation and if so, how did it work out for them?
    Whats your bend measured at ? believe it or not, 10 weeks is still early so try not and worry, I have had both knees replaced and one revision. I had an MUA on the very first replacement to break up a little bit of scar tissue and the minute I woke up I felt a difference, didnt need it on other replacement or revision.

• Advertisement

horsey63 wrote: »
    Whats your bend measured at ? believe it or not, 10 weeks is still early so try not and worry, I have had both knees replaced and one revision. I had an MUA on the very first replacement to break up a little bit of scar tissue and the minute I woke up I felt a difference, didnt need it on other replacement or revision.

I left hospital with a bend of 75 and 10 weeks later it's 78. I'm minus 15 on the straighten. I'm pinning my hopes in th MUA.

I left hospital with a bend of 75 and 10 weeks later it's 78. I'm minus 15 on the straighten. I'm pinning my hopes in th MUA.
    ok, you're a little behind at 78 degrees at 10 weeks, however, a bend can improve over months so although you're a little down at the moment, try and keep the chin up, this WILL improve. Is there any chance that you have been overdoing it ? overdoing the exercises can be just as much of a problem as doing too little. I found the Bonesmart website very helpful. Good luck with the MUA.

In hindsight maybe I did overdo things, I hadn't looked at it like that. I found it so hard not to be up and about as I'm normally so active. Once I have the MUA on Tuesday I will make sure to rest more and give myself time to recover.

In hindsight maybe I did overdo things, I hadn't looked at it like that. I found it so hard not to be up and about as I'm normally so active. Once I have the MUA on Tuesday I will make sure to rest more and give myself time to recover.
    I certainly overdid the exercises on replacement no.1 and that is the one I ended up having an MUA, I was 40 at the time and was of the mindset, I'm young, strong, and it will be a walk in the park plus you are bombarded at the pre-assessment and post physio sessions that exercise is the ultimate key to a successful replacement, and I panicked because I wanted it to work so that I could get back to my normal life of work and kids. Physio's will tell you that they have to push 95% of patients but there are a few where they have to say 'slow down' ! My subsequent replacement and revision have gone fine. Good luck on Tuesday.

horsey63 wrote: »
    I certainly overdid the exercises on replacement no.1 and that is the one I ended up having an MUA, I was 40 at the time and was of the mindset, I'm young, strong, and it will be a walk in the park plus you are bombarded at the pre-assessment and post physio sessions that exercise is the ultimate key to a successful replacement, and I panicked because I wanted it to work so that I could get back to my normal life of work and kids. Physio's will tell you that they have to push 95% of patients but there are a few where they have to say 'slow down' ! My subsequent replacement and revision have gone fine. Good luck on Tuesday.

Thanks Horsey63. Sounds like we are very similar. Out of curiosity, how long did it take you to get back to normal after the MUA?

• Advertisement

Thanks Horsey63. Sounds like we are very similar. Out of curiosity, how long did it take you to get back to normal after the MUA?
    When I woke up I instantly knew there was a difference in the knee, now I didnt suddenly go from an 80 to a 110 bend, but it felt 'looser'. My surgeon told me not to do any of knee rehab exercises for 2 weeks as he had given it a huge workout during the MUA. So I just did my normal day to day activities and slowly it improved, I saw him 6 weeks after the procedure which equated to 4 months post op and I had a 105 bend and by the 6 month checkup, I was 110 which was fine. So I learnt the lesson, 'sometimes less is more' !!

Thanks for that - you've been very helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 shinabhil

@corklass,

How is your recovery going, can I ask where you had your surgery ?
    I am due for replacement surgery July 3rd next and found the forum bonesmart very helpful www.bonesmart.com
    I had my left knee replaced in 2012 and it has been a wonderful success, I have taken my new knee to many new and exciting places throughout the world, that would have been impossible for me prior to that surgery. My right knee is next on the list and I am hoping for an equal success. It has shocked me just how fast and furious the degeneration took with my right knee.

Hi Shinabhil. I had my surgery done on 28th Feb in the South Infirmary here in Cork. I would highly recommend the facility but I have been unfortunate with the knee and am not recovering well at all. On X-ray it looks perfect but I have been left with a stiff knee which I cannot either straighten or bend sufficiently. I had a manipulation a few weeks ago and am due to have another in three weeks time. My surgeon has been very understanding and is trying his best to resolve this but at this point I am not feeling very positive. Prior to the surgery I was very fit and I felt this would help my recovery as I'm also quite young for this surgery. I guess I'm just one of the unlucky ones. Good luck with your procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 shinabhil

I had my left knee done in the south too on Feb 27th! but 5 years ago, it was a good experience I agree. The surgeon I was under then is doing very limited work in the south at the moment though. So I have to go elsewhere for his service this time...

My memory from 2012 was it was almost August (5 months on) when one day my other half said to me while out walking... look your not lagging behind and it dawned on me then that I was well on the road with my recovery. I am sorry to hear your having trouble with your bend and straightening if you get a moment pop over to www.bonesmart.com and check out the post-op recovery threads and maybe have a look at the
    https://bonesmart.org/forum/categories/knee-replacement.7/ there is lots of positive stories there and tips and hints too.

https://bonesmart.org/knee/mua-manipulation-under-anesthesia/

Thanks Shinabhil. I've been on that site and yeah, it's very good. I will revisit it and see if I find anything useful. I've been to g.p. Today and have started strong anti inflammatories and muscle relaxants so that may help. Fingers crossed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I haven't read all the posts here,but an Orthopaedic Surgeon I would highly recommend to anyone for knee replacement is David Cogley,who is the son of the recently deceased former RTE broadcaster and Head Of Sport Fred Cogley RIP.He operates in the Midland Regional Hospital in Tullamore and the Hermitage Clinic in Dublin.My wife had both knees replaced by him,one in 2014 and the other in 2015 and they have been a great success.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Drapac

Has anybody had a knee replacement done by Maurice Nelligan Jr.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Drapac

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Jeanne Gallagher

Hi, I know this forum seems quite old but desperately looking for advice!

I am a 45 year old woman living in Dublin. Having had ACL surgery 20 years ago, which is still holding the ligament strong, I have had medial compartment arthritis in my knee. I would have been extremely sporty all my life playing school, inter country and club senior hockey, as well as running, hiking, spinning etc. Now I am lucky to walk at times. For months i have worked with a physio to strengthen my legs muscles, wear a action reliever knee brace every day. In the last year I have seen two consultants, Gary O'Toole and Mihai Voireani but neither will offer any surgery as options, as I am toooooo young. What rubbish.

Do anyone know of a consultant who is reputable in Dublin whom does knee replacements on younger patients??

Thanks for your help

Sorry to hear of your knee troubles, I am the same age as you and have had 3 knee surgeries since my teens, the first one screwed it up for life and the next 2 were to try and relieve some of the damage from the first one.

Maurice Neligan Jr took me on when I had tried for help off a few different consultants and said that he would do whatever was necessary for me.

So I would try him. Im not sure where he sits now, I have seen him in the Beacon and in Tallaght but I believe he has given up his position in Tallaght now.

What options are Gary O Toole and Mihai Voireani offering you seeing as you are unable to walk at times?

I had my 1st knee replaced at 40 by Padraic Murray here in Dublin but who now has unfortunately moved to the Galway Clinic.

Have you been offered any treatment by the 2 consultants you have seen ? Have they indicated that the only option is a knee replacement ? I have heard great things about Denis Collins.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Jeanne Gallagher

Thanks alot for both of your replies.

Only treatment offered is an injection to remove excess fluid when flared up badly and then inject synovial fluid into joint. Whilst this does work wonders, it is only temporary relief and Mihai won't do it regularly. Other than that the treatment is to "manage" the arthritis by non loading activities, keep body weight down, leg muscle strength work, wear a brace daily - all of which i do religiously. It enables me to walk short distances but not take part in other life activities i.e. gardening, cleaning the house, chasing in a playround with my daughter, walk with friends etc etc.

It seems hard to find much info online but did read about Maurice so will try him. Other consultants say if they did knee replacement, i may be worse off with it and no option to turn back.

Maurice talked to me about some new resurfacing technique that might help too. Dont know if youd be a candidate. But he is at the forefront of whats available. And he is a genuinely good bloke who wants to help.

Initially you said they said you were too young for a knee replacement, however your last post indicates that they think you are not a suitable candidate.

Theres a big difference there and if 2 consultants are telling you you are not a suitable candidate for a knee replacement (not based on age) then you might not get any joy off any others.

Hi, OP here. I do wonder why 2 consultants have refused to do this surgery for you - age shouldn’t be a huge factor if the surgery is deemed necessary. A friend of mine had both hers done together in her early forties and I’ve heard of plenty young(ish) people having this surgery. I’d.caution you to be careful though if it is a case that you are not deemed suitable. It’s not an easy surgery and there’s always a chance it won’t work. Personally, mine hasn’t been a great success. I had the original replacement in Feb 2017 and a revision in Feb 2018. I’m still not right and walk with a very obvious limp. Apparently I have a condition called arthrofibrosis which means I have excessive scar tissue and this means I cannot bend or straighten my knee properly. If I could go back in time I would have waited until I couldn’t walk before having the surgery. I’m now on the hunt for a consultant that can successfully treat my condition but as it’s so rare (1% of people get this) there are not many consultants with huge experience. Again, as another poster said - Denis Collins is supposed to be very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 CavanGilly

Jeanne and Cork Lass sounds like you both are having an awful time of it.

I was booked in for replacement in Santry Sports Clinic 2 yrs ago. Basically no cartilage on outside of the knee, have very little bend in it and lot of arthritis - knee has been scoped twice down thru the years. Decided to get a 2nd opinion before the op as family were telling me I was too young (was 45 at the time). Went to Paul Connolly as he performed a hip replacement for me in 2016 (he works from Cappagh hospital and Mater Private) and while he said my knee was basically banjaxed and I needed a replacement he advised against it because of my age. He said that while the surgery itself would be fine problems may arise when it comes time for the revision - replacements last generally about 15 yrs if looked after. Apparently revisions are harder to do, takes longer to recover from and don't last as long. If I had to have gone ahead with it in 2017 and have a revision at say 60 yrs of age, chances are I would be having a 3rd replacement by 70/72 yrs of age. His advice was to put it off for as long as I can.

Tbh I am glad I did put it off - when I made the initial surgery appointment 2 yrs ago I was going thru a rough couple of months with my knee and something as simple as turning over in bed caused the bones to rub off each other resulting in awful pain and swelling but it hasn't been as bad since. I am limited in what I can do (short walks, started Pilates but no sport or anything that has an impact) but i am happy with that as I do want to avoid multiple surgeries down the road and have some quality of life when I retire:)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Hi, I know this forum seems quite old but desperately looking for advice!

I am a 45 year old woman living in Dublin. Having had ACL surgery 20 years ago, which is still holding the ligament strong, I have had medial compartment arthritis in my knee. I would have been extremely sporty all my life playing school, inter country and club senior hockey, as well as running, hiking, spinning etc. Now I am lucky to walk at times. For months i have worked with a physio to strengthen my legs muscles, wear a action reliever knee brace every day. In the last year I have seen two consultants, Gary O'Toole and Mihai Voireani but neither will offer any surgery as options, as I am toooooo young. What rubbish.

Do anyone know of a consultant who is reputable in Dublin whom does knee replacements on younger patients??

Thanks for your help

I'm 51 and I had the second of my knees replaced a couple of years ago by one of the surgeons mentioned in the recent posts in this thread. However, the surgery was only as a last resort after I had spent years having injections, getting fluid drained from my knees and some minor surgery designed to defer replacements for as long as possible, having known for about 10 years in advance that they were inevitable at some stage. If you're still getting injections and they're "working wonders" for you, my guess is that it's not because you're too young, but rather because you are still responding to other treatments and are therefore not a suitable candidate for knee replacement.

What I will say is that the operation itself and the recovery afterwards are pretty brutal, so it's not something to be undertaken lightly. And the main issue with replacing joints in younger patients is that the joints themselves have a finite lifespan, so in time they'll need to be replaced themselves, as mentioned above. I know I'm certainly not looking forward to going through all that again when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Zaph wrote: »
    I'm 51 and I had the second of my knees replaced a couple of years ago by one of the surgeons mentioned in the recent posts in this thread. However, the surgery was only as a last resort after I had spent years having injections, getting fluid drained from my knees and some minor surgery designed to defer replacements for as long as possible, having known for about 10 years in advance that they were inevitable at some stage. If you're still getting injections and they're "working wonders" for you, my guess is that it's not because you're too young, but rather because you are still responding to other treatments and are therefore not a suitable candidate for knee replacement.

What I will say is that the operation itself and the recovery afterwards are pretty brutal, so it's not something to be undertaken lightly. And the main issue with replacing joints in younger patients is that the joints themselves have a finite lifespan, so in time they'll need to be replaced themselves, as mentioned above. I know I'm certainly not looking forward to going through all that again when the time comes.

Thats the reason I was given. My right side is riddled with arthritis, and I ended up having a total hip replacement last year. I'm 39. My knee is now aching, compounded by a meniscus tear earlier this year. I had surgery for that, and thats when the arthritic knee was discovered. My surgeon is reluctant to do the knee replacement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement