Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need a knee replacement

Options
  • 03-09-2016 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Firstly, I'm not looking for advice as there really is no other option but to have my knee replaced as it's very arthritic. I sustained a lot of damage to my leg as a result of an accident in my teens. Now, at age 52, I've been told I will have to have it replaced sooner rather than later. Realistically I imagine this will be done in the Spring. I'm coming to terms with it but just want to hear other people's experiences. I'm very active and would be a regular at spinning class. Has anyone one here found themselves in this position and how did things work out for them?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭horsey63

I had my first knee replacement at the age of 40, (developed early osteoarthritis partly due to hockey/horseriding & having cartilages removed in the late 70's) that knee is still going strong some 13 years later. Other knee got into trouble in 2010, saw a different surgeon as the original one had left Dublin, he put in an uncemented one and very long story short it was a disaster, ended up contacting the original surgeon who had moved to Galway and following a consultation he said I had to have a revision knee replacement which I did in 2014. Knee replacements are a very successful operation, if I had one word of advice is to make sure your surgeon is very experienced and also question what type of implant they intend to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,204 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Horsey's advice is very right. Hip is straightforward. Be sure to get the right surgeon for knee, more tricky. Needs to be lined up right.
    Maybe I can check, its possible. I'll pm you if I get a name in a few days.
    Your man won the gold medal in the show jumping at 58, having had a hip replacement 5 years ago. Your a chisler.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

horsey63 wrote: »
    I had my first knee replacement at the age of 40, (developed early osteoarthritis partly due to hockey/horseriding & having cartilages removed in the late 70's) that knee is still going strong some 13 years later. Other knee got into trouble in 2010, saw a different surgeon as the original one had left Dublin, he put in an uncemented one and very long story short it was a disaster, ended up contacting the original surgeon who had moved to Galway and following a consultation he said I had to have a revision knee replacement which I did in 2014. Knee replacements are a very successful operation, if I had one word of advice is to make sure your surgeon is very experienced and also question what type of implant they intend to use.

Thanks for that. My GP recommended a surgeon here in Cork that is supposed to be very good - tbh I trust my GP as he's never sent me to anyone but the best. I didn't know there were different types of implants so I will look into that. Horsey, did you have any difficulty returning to sports afterwards?

I never questioned about the different types of implants, as I said, my first cemented one is doing fab, and so when the other knee failed I just assumed that the outcome would be the same......wrong !! I was 47 getting the second one done, I knew by 6 weeks that my recovery was not as easy but only at the 6 month checkup did I become aware that I had an uncemented one in, there is an argument that uncemented knees are 'better' for the younger more active patients but more recent data coming out shows a much higher failure rate, so do check it out for yourself.

Returning to sport was ok, the only restriction was high impact sports, I got back to doing a little bit of horseriding (happy hacking as I call it), cycling, walking and swimming. Try and keep as active as possible prior to surgery as this really helps, plus keep those quads as strong as possible.

I never questioned about the different types of implants, as I said, my first cemented one is doing fab, and so when the other knee failed I just assumed that the outcome would be the same......wrong !! I was 47 getting the second one done, I knew by 6 weeks that my recovery was not as easy but only at the 6 month checkup did I become aware that I had an uncemented one in, there is an argument that uncemented knees are 'better' for the younger more active patients but more recent data coming out shows a much higher failure rate, so do check it out for yourself.

Returning to sport was ok, the only restriction was high impact sports, I got back to doing a little bit of horseriding (happy hacking as I call it), cycling, walking and swimming. Try and keep as active as possible prior to surgery as this really helps, plus keep those quads as strong as possible.

Thanks. I will definitely do some research re the implant. I'm normally very active, spinning at least 4 times a week along with some indoor rowing and some fitness classes. I had a scope this week so am having a few days down time but hope to be back in the gym tomorrow doing some low impact stuff. I'm also going to Physio fort nightly to keep the muscles strong. I might look at getting swimming lessons as I'm not a great swimmer but imagine it would be a good alternative for the early days of recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 CavanGilly

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has recommendations for a surgeon to do knee replacement? I have had my knee scoped twice the last time was in 2012, and at that stage the surgeon told me that there was little he could do as there was bone rubbing of bone. I think he didn't mention a replacement at the time as i was only 41. I am now at the stage where i think that i do need a replacement but i want to make sure i go to a good surgeon. Can anyone recommend or where could i check to see who would be the best? I live in Cavan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

I'm having mine done next Tuesday by Shane Guerin in Cork. My GP rates him very highly. I'll report back after the op.

....... wrote: »
    If you will go to Dublin try for an appointment with Maurice Neligan.

Thank you.

Cork Lass wrote: »
    I'm having mine done next Tuesday by Shane Guerin in Cork. My GP rates him very highly. I'll report back after the op.

Good luck with it

• Advertisement

CavanGilly wrote: »
    Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has recommendations for a surgeon to do knee replacement? I have had my knee scoped twice the last time was in 2012, and at that stage the surgeon told me that there was little he could do as there was bone rubbing of bone. I think he didn't mention a replacement at the time as i was only 41. I am now at the stage where i think that i do need a replacement but i want to make sure i go to a good surgeon. Can anyone recommend or where could i check to see who would be the best? I live in Cavan.
    My advice would be to look up the guys in Santry Sports Clinic, epecially Mark Jackson, Denis Collins. I was 40 when I had my first knee replacement so it can be done at a young age.

My advice would be to look up the guys in Santry Sports Clinic, epecially Mark Jackson, Denis Collins. I was 40 when I had my first knee replacement so it can be done at a young age.
    Thanks. I have an appointment with Ray Moran in SSC. My physio has referred patients to him previously and all surgeries have been successful.

Have to say I do agree with you in so far as he was the first person I saw about my knees back in 2000, back then he told me he didnt do knee replacements and referred me onto the best ever Paraic Murray (now in Galway Clinic), Paraic was replaced by Denis Collins. I thought that Ray Moran mainly did ACL & sports injuries. Anyway, you're going to see a top guy so best of luck and hopefully he'll sort you out.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate it.

Plse God I get sorted. I had a hip replacement last year which I have recovered well from and can actually tie a shoe lace again :) But the problems I have had with my knee down through the years have deteriorated it quicker as I was overcompensating because of my hip.

Thanks a mill.

Glad you got sorted. I will see what Moran says next week and if he offers no solutions I will get a second opinion. Physio isn't an option, there was bone rubbing of bone 5 yrs ago and no amount of physio is going to ease that.

Am I right in saying Maurice Nelligan is based in The Beacon? If so, my insurance doesn't cover that facility unfortunately.

CavanGilly wrote: »
    Thanks a mill.

Glad you got sorted. I will see what Moran says next week and if he offers no solutions I will get a second opinion. Physio isn't an option, there was bone rubbing of bone 5 yrs ago and no amount of physio is going to ease that.

Am I right in saying Maurice Nelligan is based in The Beacon? If so, my insurance doesn't cover that facility unfortunately.
    Don't worry, if Ray Moran won't do the knee replacement for you, he will refer you in house to one of his colleagues, some very good surgeons up there like Mark Jackson/Mihai Vioreanu/Denis Collins. If you are bone on bone well then the outcome is inevitable, only one word of advice is to ask what type of implant the surgeon plans to use, I have learnt the hard way that the non-cemented ones are a disaster !!!

• Advertisement

Don't worry, if Ray Moran won't do the knee replacement for you, he will refer you in house to one of his colleagues, some very good surgeons up there like Mark Jackson/Mihai Vioreanu/Denis Collins. If you are bone on bone well then the outcome is inevitable, only one word of advice is to ask what type of implant the surgeon plans to use, I have learnt the hard way that the non-cemented ones are a disaster !!!

Thanks again. Great to get the advice. I would be so clueless😑

I'm just home today having had surgery on Tuesday. All went well but it's very painful. I had it done under spinal anaesthetic and was sedated but aware for what was going on. A surreal experience for sure but definitely felt better much quicker than having a general. From here on now it's up to me to keep on top of my exercises and Physio.

Ah the best of luck with your recovery. You must be so relieved to have it all over with. Yeah the exercises and physio sessions can be tough but it is so worth it and I am sure you will fly through it. Did they say how long the recovery is i.e. how long off driving and work?

Roughly about 6 weeks but for some it's a bit less. Thank God for strong medication.

Well listen, if you dont get any joy with Ray Moran - just go get a second opinion.

I wasted loads of time (a couple of years) with one guy (Fergal McGoldrick) who basically refused to help and kept sending me for more physio and it wasnt working and he was blaming me etc.... He basically strung me along and I should have gone for a second opinion way sooner. I was sorted within 6 weeks when I saw someone else (Maurice Neligan).

That's awful to spin you along like that especially when there is so much plain and discomfort with joint pain. I hope you have recovered well.

Roughly about 6 weeks but for some it's a bit less. Thank God for strong medication.

That's sounds great. All the best with your recovery. Yeah you are right, God bless the drugs😂

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Someone close to me has had their hip replaced by him and will possibly have their knee done. Very straightforward guy to deal with - can come across as a little odd in terms of what he wants you to do, for example any sign of infection you ring his office not your GP and things like that, but his handiwork is amazing. Wants things done his way, but gets fantastic results.

Best of luck with the physio, its a pain in the backside but well worth it at the end

Thanks Rebel Girl. Yeah, started Physio last week and it's very hard. I know it will be worth it but I've never experienced pain like it :eek:

• Advertisement

Stick with it Cork Lass, it will deffo be worth it :)

I met with my consultant a couple of weeks ago and he is going to discuss my case with his colleagues. He seems reluctant to go for replacement given my age but I want a quality of life. I the meantime I am getting an injection into it on Thursday for the pain. I doubt it will do much good but I suppose no harm in trying.

Advertisement