Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,776 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The boom is still going anyway.

Clearance sale in Carnew with cows up to e2,500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭alps

The boom is still going anyway.

Clearance sale in Carnew with cows up to e2,500.

That's some Mart for cows....probably some cows in that mart

Just done covers....I'm definite now...

I cannot warm to Pasture Base....I really miss Agrinet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

alps wrote: »
    That's some Mart for cows....probably some cows in that mart

I'm still a little sorry I snubbed some lovely feb calving heifers that were for sale in carnew back in Jan who only made 950 ha.

Timmaay wrote: »
    I'm still a little sorry I snubbed some lovely feb calving heifers that were for sale in carnew back in Jan who only made 950 ha.

Were you there today?

I was looking for maybe 3 myself but with the hot sale. No chance.
    A bit too Holstein for my liking but still those Wicklow liquid producers couldn't resist with 6th calvers making to 1600 and then the 1st and 2nd calvers going to 2,5k.

Still good to see the owners doing well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Just done covers....I'm definite now...

I cannot warm to Pasture Base....I really miss Agrinet

I never switched and couldn’t be bothered agrinet works just fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Maize is the cornerstone of a good dairy ration to be fair, you can’t readily go chucking in barley/wheat to replace it, due to acidosis risk, protein is another problem last years beans/pea crops where an absolute disaster,yield wise so relying on these to replace soya-bean meal is another folly.
    Totally agree re bringing in palm kernal but it’s gas mentioning glanbia and a closed looped system, if they could cotton seed and palm kernal would be the mainstay of their rations if they thought lads wouldn’t kick up when performance starts to suffer, they still manage to get a nice bit into their rations though to save a few quid

Feed nuts from a few different places here inc glanbia and always find the cows do just fine on them. Possibly even a bit better than the rest.

Were you there today?

I was looking for maybe 3 myself but with the hot sale. No chance.
    A bit too Holstein for my liking but still those Wicklow liquid producers couldn't resist with 6th calvers making to 1600 and then the 1st and 2nd calvers going to 2,5k.

Still good to see the owners doing well.

Did you go to turners in boolavogue last week? They seem.to have a nice herd there?

Did you go to turners in boolavogue last week? They seem.to have a nice herd there?

Meant to go.
    But missed it. Big operators.

I wouldn't envy anyone wanting to get into dairying atm re stock prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭visatorro

Meant to go.

Last September there would have been serious value for in calf heifers. An old dealer around here reckoned you'd always have to have a pen empty for the few bargains!

• Advertisement

Meant to go.

Quality stock always command good money

visatorro wrote: »
    Last September there would have been serious value for in calf heifers. An old dealer around here reckoned you'd always have to have a pen empty for the few bargains!

I think the early grass is driving people mad. Coupled with cows calving down now that are going to be culled for various reasons and still new entrants in the market.

Today's cows were by stock bulls, no ebi but milk recorded Holstein.

Xmas was the best value, you'd buy heifers then for the same price as September (1000e), however 4months more feeding gone into them. Will be plenty more Incalf heifers for sale this autumn and winter tho, hell of alot of farmers rearing extra heifers they won't need. As Say said though the grass and early spring got to lads heads.

And no I wasn't at the Carnew sale today, January when I'm pricking around at nothing is the time to go looking, defo not March ha.

https://www.icbf.com/?page_id=12693

This has taken me aback.

The red listed bulls reads like our farm catalogue...not only have we loads of these cows, we'll have heifers for sale at the end of the year, calves on the ground this year, and I put in an order for a big batch of another bull that's red lined...Carson's Cairo

Holy chit....looks like I could pick all the TB bulls available....never had it TG...

This is going to make a savage change to mindset.....

And the killer...this info was available before now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,772 ✭✭✭jaymla627

This has taken me aback.

The red listed bulls reads like our farm catalogue...not only have we loads of these cows, we'll have heifers for sale at the end of the year, calves on the ground this year, and I put in an order for a big batch of another bull that's red lined...Carson's Cairo

Holy chit....looks like I could pick all the TB bulls available....never had it TG...

It’s pure bulls**t whatever way they have it calculated, flame is down as a no hoper to despite been one of the best immunity plus bulls available from Semex with one of the highest tb advantage index’s going, with a heap of sons coming after him also in Ai with high tb advantage index’s also
    They are some shower of retards to put it mildly whatever magical data system they are using to calculate these made up values, how anyone has faith in the Icbf is mind-boggling, and the above just verifies it beyond doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

This has taken me aback.

Thanks for sharing, I never knew such a list existed.
    We only have a couple of dairy cows that rear a few calves but I have some heifers (sh and hex) that I will get ai'd this year. The list will help me selecting suitable bulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

jaymla627 wrote: »
    It’s pure bulls**t whatever way they have it calculated, flame is down as a no hoper to despite been one of the best immunity plus bulls available from Semex with one of the highest tb advantage index’s going, with a heap of sons coming after him also in Ai with high tb advantage index’s also
    They are some shower of retards to put it mildly whatever magical data system they are using to calculate these made up values, how anyone has faith in the Icbf is mind-boggling, and the above just verifies it beyond doubt

Ah here you have picked one bull from a commercial catalogue you have proven nothing.have you ever considered that the commercial company might be just trying to sell their product
    Everything icbf do is published in scientific papers if it's rubbish put up the link to a paper that dismiss what they are doing. The retard comment is beyond ridiculous. They literally publish methodology on their website have you ever bother to read it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,772 ✭✭✭jaymla627

yewtree wrote: »
    Ah here you have picked one bull from a commercial catalogue you have proven nothing.have you ever considered that the commercial company might be just trying to sell their product
    Everything icbf do is published in scientific papers if it's rubbish put up the link to a paper that dismiss what they are doing. The retard comment is beyond ridiculous. They literally publish methodology on their website have you ever bother to read it

Look up the bull the tens of thousands of daughters his proof is based on, the millions gone into the research behind the immunity plus bull range that has been going on 10 plus years and get back to us, waffle all you want about the icbf and their brilliant standards but the above traits re health tb resistance where simply a afterthought to Irish ai companies till recently, their 10-15 years behind international companies in this regard...
    Wasn’t so long ago either their computers couldn’t add up ebi proofs properly but that seems to have slipped of lads minds, the line that they might bring in a index to rate bulls down the line re tb resistance is something international companies have been at for years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A little bit on P losses.

And it's the reverse with nitrates on those two soils.

The heavier grassland soil holds onto nitrates better than the free draining tillage ground.

• Advertisement

Can anyone tell me where to buy Kaiwaka body warmers, the ones with the elongated back that covers your bum. I looked on the Gregg care website but I don't see them on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Base price wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where to buy Kaiwaka body warmers, the ones with the elongated back that covers your bum. I looked on the Gregg care website but I don't see them on it.

pricey bit of kit

https://www.kiwikit.co.uk/product/kaiwaka-sleeveless-vest/

orm0nd wrote: »
    If its as good as their range of outdoor clothing then it's money well spent.

I'm surprised that Gregg Care don't have them.

If its as good as their range of outdoor clothing then it's money well spent.

I'm surprised that Gregg Care don't have them.

I'm sure if you rang them they would be able to get one in

I'm sure if you rang them they would be able to get one in
    I will give them a call next week as I'm happy with the Kaiwaka bib overalls that I bought from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

I will give them a call next week as I'm happy with the Kaiwaka bib overalls that I bought from them.

I bought that off them 2/3 years ago so I'd say if you ring them they have it. Easy the best bit of work clothing I ever bought.

As an add on to that tweet.
    Here's another showing the catchments colour coded.
    https://twitter.com/vickihird/status/1105402101499346945?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

• Advertisement

22-5 litres
    Bf 4-45
    Pr 3-63
    Lact 4-81
    Urea 31
    50% calved before Christmas.
    Didn't out by day since 12th of February. night's just the last week. 3.5 kg of 18% ration. few Left to calf. Fed up of it now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,851 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

22-5 litres
    Bf 4-45
    Pr 3-63
    Lact 4-81
    Urea 31
    50% calved before Christmas.
    Didn't out by day since 12th of February. night's just the last week. 3.5 kg of 18% ration. few Left to calf. Fed up of it now!

Ye the fun has definitely gone out of it now. 3 calved here last night one of them was the last heifer. Cows in this last 2 weeks, ground saturated. 25 left to calve.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Ye the fun has definitely gone out of it now. 3 calved here last night one of them was the last heifer. Cows in this last 2 weeks, ground saturated. 25 left to calve.

I got a grazing every day. One day I think I did a bit of damage. Need More roadways. Maybe next year!

I'm beginning to think ESB are not capable of supplying demand in our area. This is the second evening in a week where there have been multiple outages around us, again around 7pm. Big outages in Whitechurch, Grenagh and Berrings...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I'm beginning to think ESB are not capable of supplying demand in our area. This is the second evening in a week where there have been multiple outages around us, again around 7pm. Big outages in Whitechurch, Grenagh and Berrings...

Shir all the tae drank round that area would put any supply under pressure

I've had some major low voltage issues here on and off the last few months, which the esb are now claiming are only once off incidents due to a change in supply direction during days they are doing upgrade work or something. I really need to install some sort of voltage alarm that let's me know if it's dropping down under say 210v.

• Advertisement

I got my own transformer in saved a lot of hassle

I got a grazing every day. One day I think I did a bit of damage. Need More roadways. Maybe next year!

Was talking to a lad in the mart today, his land would be heavy like mine. I asked him had he his cows out yet this year. He said no. I said I had mine out a good bit, he said everyone knows you had your cows out....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Getting back out by day tomorrow. In since Friday. Lots of grass around compared to other years. Forecast looking good for the next while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,483 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was talking to a lad in the mart today, his land would be heavy like mine. I asked him had he his cows out yet this year. He said no. I said I had mine out a good bit, he said everyone knows you had your cows out....

Telling the parish were ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

They got caught out a few times over the last few months and ended up paying silly prices for imported electricity afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

AFC 850
    Exactly the same as opening cover in Jan.
    There’s 1200 on first paddocks grazed, a little more than at opening.
    Missed 6 grazings since start of grazing.
    2nd round of urea going on today, bringing it to 92 units
    15% of cows left to calve
    Scc is giving us plenty of bother but on top of it, just!
    5 kg nuts in parlour, no silage
    A little disappointed with fat and pro
    It’s been a boys spring for grazing so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

AFC 850
    Have you them out at night, surprised scc is bad if so.
    I'm gona try them out tonight, out by day bar a few since the 7 th of January, weather playing ball atm

AFC 850

Same here with p in praticular for last 10 days 3.42 to 3.53.kgms are up tho hitting 2.5 here now was in for 3 milkings over weekend back out full time Sunday and driving on now aim to start second round on or before April 01 and as of now I’ll be comfortable at that as u said a doddle of a spring last 2 weeks minor blip

AFC 850

Snap! Same as here. Afc sitting at 780. It was 640 last Monday. First grazed paddocks growing 50/day. Have 8 days at least left in first round. Still have some pit silage to finish with drys and looks like well have 50 bales of silage left over.
    Never thought I'd see that last July when I had already fed 2/3 of our first cut!

11 cows bulling here between last night and this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

11 cows bulling here between last night and this morning.
    You're not serving yet are you?

Mortelaro wrote: »
    You're not serving yet are you?

No not for another 4 weeks

48 hours without any scouring calves getting electrolytes now, hopefully over the worst of it. Rorovac should be kicking in in two weeks for the last of the ladies.
    We moved up to 4l of colostrum to the calves by stomach tube and a tube of Calf Care Plus straight after and it seems to be doing the job. We lost one but she had other problems we couldn't figure out, she never had an appetite and would look like drinking but never actually sucked the milk:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

AFC 850

Solid percentages are only half the story without kgms or litres.

Had umbilical system here today spreading on fields I grazed earlier in the year. Coming back again tomorrow.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement