Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stobart air liquidated- the end of Irish domestic aviation?

Options
  • 12-06-2021 8:08am

With Stobart Air seemingly liquidated this morning, it looks like the last of the PSO flights are grounded. I wonder what this will do for the viability of CFN and KIR?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Not a lot in the grand scheme of things.

If they have gone bust the Dept of Transport will have to readvertise the contract and get a replacement.

In this scenario of would be interesting to see what it will cost to get the cover at short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

With Stobart Air seemingly liquidated this morning, it looks like the last of the PSO flights are grounded. I wonder what this will do for the viability of CFN and KIR?

Aren't CFN and KIR kept open by PSO routes to Dublin? If the government can find another airline to take on the contracts, it shouldn't change things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Short term EI main could if they wanted to do KIR but an A320 can’t land at CFN.

I would expect someone like Eastern, Logan or even Cityjet to take over the PSO on a wet lease interim.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 neutrino

Air Corps Casas?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Deatr

I doubt CityJet would take on the CFN PSO, given that the CRJ wouldn't get out of there and given how cost conscious they are at the moment they wouldn't wet lease and aircraft in to do it. So it'll probably be Loganir or one of the others.

• Advertisement

Deatr wrote: »
    I doubt CityJet would take on the CFN PSO, given that the CRJ wouldn't get out of there and given how cost conscious they are at the moment they wouldn't wet lease and aircraft in to do it. So it'll probably be Loganir or one of the others.

Good to know. I don’t know the CRJ limitations and the CFN runway length.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

neutrino wrote: »
    Air Corps Casas?

Probably a cheaper option for the government/tax payer in fairness considering how quiet aviation is.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

Air Corps Casas?

Thought they only had a few seats because of the fishery patrol equipment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

The govt has committed to a PSO to Donegal and Kerry due to Regionality and access to the capital.

So it’s a case of getting advertising and getting another airline in. It’s a 4 year contract and is probably lucrative enough for the airline as it’s subsidised etc by govt.

So ... could be just a timing thing and we could see PSO back in 6 months.

Irish Government effectively ban air travel and all reasons to travel. Airline goes bust. Coincidence. I wish the staff the best for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Air Corps Casas?

Not a hope it's kitted out for the job it does one side is all communications and radar equipment only crew seats in it for crew would never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Can't Aer Lingus just fulfil the domestic schedule from its own resources using 320s for the time being? Lord knows they have the capacity.

Loganair ran PSO routes previously so could easily pick up the short term slack ahead of it being re-advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Phen2206

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Can't Aer Lingus just fulfil the domestic schedule from its own resources using 320s for the time being? Lord knows they have the capacity.

They could potentially with KIR but not with CFN because an A320 is too big for the runway at CFN. In either case it would cost a lot more to operate the flight than not to operate because an A320 is so big compared to Stobart's ATRs. It would all depend on whether the PSO responsibility now falls to main Aer Lingus or not - I'm not sure how the legality of that works. If Aer Lingus can just wait until a new operator is appointed, or just abandon domestic aviation altogether, then they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Loganair ran PSO routes previously so could easily pick up the short term slack ahead of it being re-advertised.
    They used a Saab on that route and pax numbers seemed to be good, On another note I was reading about Stobart on the Journal and the amount of people posting crap like it's a UK owned PLC etc and f**k them etc, If only they knew of the Stobart HQ in Santry employing Irish staff or what about the FBO like ground handling catering refueling etc.
    I am convinced that tbe average Joe soap hasn't a clue about the amount of ancillary jobs aviation employs throughout the island of Ireland north and south.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Is this true about Stobart being sold for £2 to a 26 year old who runs a block chain incubator in the IOM ?

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/transport-logistics/stobart-air-sold-aviation-pandemic-flybe-b930702.html?__twitter_impression=true

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It was to be, his funding didn't come through so the sale collapsed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Now I might have dreamt this up after a bad pint but didn't Brendan O'Carroll yes that one, once try and setup a regional airline.
    It was like a bus route for the air ie get on in Dublin to cork but the plane would land a small regional airports on the way to pickup or drop off passengers as it went.
    Again I could be totally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭crushproof

I am convinced that tbe average Joe soap hasn't a clue about the amount of ancillary jobs aviation employs throughout the island of Ireland north and south.

The average Joe doesn't have a clue about most things. Read the headline on a clickbait website like the Journal and think that's enough to make their opinion heard.

Difficult day for all involved and interesting to see how the PSOs pan out

Is this true about Stobart being sold for £2 to a 26 year old who runs a block chain incubator in the IOM ?

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/transport-logistics/stobart-air-sold-aviation-pandemic-flybe-b930702.html?__twitter_impression=true

That was a nominal amount….. he had also to clear the Debts and make Cash available. So his total input was over €9m iirc

• Advertisement

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Now I might have dreamt this up after a bad pint but didn't Brendan O'Carroll yes that one, once try and setup a regional airline.
    It was like a bus route for the air ie get on in Dublin to cork but the plane would land a small regional airports on the way to pickup or drop off passengers as it went.
    Again I could be totally wrong.

Ya he got airtime on the Late Late show on same but he only had back of packet of fags figures on same. He thought he could copy O’Leary. He hadn’t heard of the old maxim ‘ How do you become a millionaire in Aviation?….. start out by being a Billionaire’. He then realised that there is more profit copying Simpsons jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

Sorry for all those whose jobs were lost here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Larbre34 wrote: »

I’m not entirely convinced they do have the capacity. Most of the short haul fleet is in long term storage, waking up a fleet of aircraft for what will be a very marginal operation just isn’t worth it. The limited number of A320s that are operational will be doing the basics on summer hot spots.

They’d be better focused on trying to maintain the Scottish and North of England frequencies they’ve now lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Aer Lingus hopes to announce an alternative operator by tomorrow. Company was aware the of potential for collapse in STK for some time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I’m not entirely convinced they do have the capacity. Most of the short haul fleet is in long term storage, waking up a fleet of aircraft for what will be a very marginal operation just isn’t worth it. The limited number of A320s that are operational will be doing the basics on summer hot spots.

They’d be better focused on trying to maintain the Scottish and North of England frequencies they’ve now lost.
    I didn't think the UK flights were even operating. Thought it was only 2-3 PSO departures from Dublin each day.

Tenger wrote: »
    I didn't think the UK flights were even operating. Thought it was only 2-3 PSO departures from Dublin each day.

DUB-EDI
    DUB-GLA
    DUB-MAN (was to resume this Sat; weekly)

Big loss for connectivity vital for EI when TAs resume, hoping for the best for their staff.

Hasn't DUB-MAN been on an A320 over the last year?

Tenger wrote: »
    Hasn't DUB-MAN been on an A320 over the last year?

It has, EIR were to begin re-supplementing the route on a weekly basis as referred to. These were the only ROI-UK routes operated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The bigger issue here is IAG making Manchester a hub for the USA, plus the closure of the EI base in Shannon so loss of connectivity to the West Coast of USA will be another nail in the FDI coffin, along side the tax and remote working nails out lined by the G7 and Facebook respectively.

Loss of c 100,000 FDI jobs in the medium term plus the knock on effect will burn a big hole in the public finances.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

The bigger issue here is IAG making Manchester a hub for the USA, plus the closure of the EI base in Shannon so loss of connectivity to the West Coast of USA will be another nail in the FDI coffin, along side the tax and remote working nails out lined by the G7 and Facebook respectively.

Loss of c 100,000 FDI jobs in the medium term plus the knock on effect will burn a big hole in the public finances.
    Aer Lingus will continue to operate flights to/from Shannon. As will US carriers next year.
    Aer Lingus will resume its flight from Dublin to SFO and LAX within months.

The PSO routes will be out for tender again.
    The connectivity will continue.

The Aer Lingus operation out of MAN will impact its Dublin base, NOT the West.

Advertisement