Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there any country you would not go to even if you were paid to go there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,089 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

A neighbour of mine has a daughter in Australia and he went to visit her for three weeks a while back.

He pulled back into the driveway 8 days later.

In fairness, that could say as much about the daughter as Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Tippman24

Went to Sofia in Bulgaria once. Never want to see it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

yes, Saddam started it. My mistake, and I've corrected it.. But the rest of my post is still valid. Especially the political legacy Khomeini left after him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,646 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

jmreire wrote: »
    yes, my mistake. You are right in that. It was Saddam who started it. But the rest of my post is still valid.

While your post holds merit you still tried to attribute 600k deaths to the wrong side. I've been to Iran, a beautiful country and some of the most amazing friendly people you could ever meet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭archfi

Mimon wrote: »
    They have a reputation as being the world's friendliest and hospitable people so would be strange to rule it out because of a ****ty government.

I've heard nothing but praise for Iran and Iranians from people that have actually visited.
    Politics (or someone's idea of politics), gettoutofit!

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Genre..

archfi wrote: »
    I've heard nothing but praise for Iran and Iranians from people that have actually visited.
    Politics (or someone's idea of politics), gettoutofit!

We're conditioned to believing Iran is bad

That's all I've ever heard about Iran from big government

How easy/hard is it to get a tourist visa?

What its like now, I can only guess, as its been a few years since I was there.but in 2019 they had 7.8 million tourists, and so its definitely doable. No surprise given the economic state of the Country.I'd say direct contact with the nearest Iran Embassy yourself would be the best bet. There is a very usefull article if you want to have a look
    Quote " This is how to travel to Iran-everything you need to know" UnQuote.
    but as I already mentioned,personally I'd contact the nearest Embassy or their representative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

glasso wrote: »
    so what is behind your desire to avoid South America.

interested to hear about it as it's genuinely the most fascinating continent that I've ever travelled.

Like I have already said, it doesn't appeal to me, there is nothing there that piques my interest.

Its not a moral decision or a safety issue like some others here have for other areas.

Its quite as simple as that. It can be as beautiful as fcuk, I still currently have zero desire to go.

While your post holds merit you still tried to attribute 600k deaths to the wrong side. I've been to Iran, a beautiful country and some of the most amazing friendly people you could ever meet.

Yes, I know Iran well, and not as just a visitor, I used to live and work there, and am still in contact with my Iranian friends.The main point of my post is the current situation of the Iranian people can be traced back directly to the arrival of Khomeini. And I have corrected my post. to read it was Saddam who started the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Genre.. wrote: »

That's so when Israel sends the US in to carpet-bomb the crap out of them we won't feel sorry for those nasty old Iranians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Conflict aside, the most amazing country in SE Asia. The people are such a joy to be in the company of.
    It does actually look stunning. I think Top Gear did a special there if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A neighbour of mine has a daughter in Australia and he went to visit her for three weeks a while back.

He pulled back into the driveway 8 days later.

Did a dingo eat his baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Joziburg

Really? I thought the Dutch were fierce friendly.

I find them very friendly too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Das Reich wrote: »
    South Africa or any country that people are racists against whites, and I not really "white", more mediterranean.

Thats the whole African continent then. No great loss. Pity because if you eliminate the malaria and a few other elements its Gods country. Great eco system, fertile soil and virtually undiscovered geologically in comparison to Europe China and North America.

Wife want me to go on Safari, not a F'king chance after the Aunt and Uncle were in Rhodesia.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Joziburg wrote: »
    I find them very friendly too

Having family over in the Netherlands, I usually visit at least once a year. I know the country pretty well now.

The Dutch are friendly, helpful and down to Earth, but they are very direct and Irish people - notoriously indirect - can mistake that directness for rudeness.

Iran may or may not have a sh1tty government, problem is it's the "wrong" sort of government as far as the West is concerned (who happen to like countries with far far sh1ttier governments)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Egypt.

Spent a week there. Never again. A ****ing dump.

Only the people we met there were worse than the barren landscape in 50 degrees

Yes, I know Iran well, and not as just a visitor, I used to live and work there, and am still in contact with my Iranian friends.The main point of my post is the current situation of the Iranian people can be traced back directly to the arrival of Khomeini. And I have corrected my post. to read it was Saddam who started the war.

which can be traced back to the huge political corruption and elites under the Shah of Iran

e.g.
    In October 1971, the 2,500th anniversary of the founding of the Persian Empire was held at the site of Persepolis. Only foreign dignitaries were invited to the three-day party, whose extravagances recalled those of Persian King Ahasverus roughly 2,500 years previously. The festivities included over one ton of caviar, and preparation by some two hundred chefs flown in from Paris. Cost was officially $40 million but estimated to be more in the range of $100–120 million.Meanwhile, drought ravaged the provinces of Baluchistan, Sistan, and even Fars where the celebrations were held. "As the foreigners reveled on drink forbidden by Islam, Iranians were not only excluded from the festivities, some were starving."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,646 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Well that's another fùck up we can thank our esteemed American friends for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Nigeria . Not if I was paid

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Happyhouse22

What its like now, I can only guess, as its been a few years since I was there.but in 2019 they had 7.8 million tourists, and so its definitely doable. No surprise given the economic state of the Country.I'd say direct contact with the nearest Iran Embassy yourself would be the best bet. There is a very usefull article if you want to have a look
    Quote " This is how to travel to Iran-everything you need to know" UnQuote.
    but as I already mentioned,personally I'd contact the nearest Embassy or their representative.

Very easy for an Irish passport holder to get a visa in Dublin (well pre Covid)

UK, Canadian or US passport holders will find ist much more difficult

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

Read the first page of this and disagree with most of the opinions! Not sure if there is anywhere I would go... maybe some dangerous ones... but remover you are getting paid , presumably they are paying for decent security measures also ��
    Israel. Murderous state.

Won’t argue with this, but still a very interesting place to visit and gateway to Palestine,

I know its not a country,but visiting dubai bears no appeal to me atal

Everything there from people i know worked there and pics seem just completly and utter consumption for sake of it,flashy and greed

Thought this too but went for a few days and found it relatively interesting
    I'll go anywhere as long as its welcoming to my wife and gay friends, I'd have no interest in going to any place that isn't

I get this, but sometimes the laws of a county don’t equate to the experience on the ground. Don’t forget being gay was illegal here until relatively recently so it’s not like we’re perfect and sometimes these things can take time. Arguably you can help hasten that progress by visiting and meeting locals and having conversations about these things.
    AMKC wrote: »
    Me I would not go to Turkey. I was there once and would never go again. I found the people rude and small minded as well as backwards.

Found the total opposite, had complete strangers help us navigate the Istanbul underground, in fairness people were less friendly in the “touristy” areas of the city but I guess this goes for everywhere.
    cagefactor wrote: »
    Spent some time in Ivory Coast, never again.

On my list of places to go!
    United States at present. Gun culture & police brutality. Enough said.

Definitely unappealing elements, but also some amazing things to see
    TefalBrain wrote: »
    Saudi Arabia

Goo reasons for this but Median sounds like an amazing spot to see- also would just be interesting to see it - sounds so bizarre.
    The UK.

:), lived there and disliked a lot of it- some very beautiful towns and villages though...
    Papa New Guinea

Nevr again

Have heard some bad stories, but also great ones if you get out of Port Moresby
    Someone already said Saudi Arabia, so will go with North Korea.

Was meant to go to North Korea before Covid hit :( , obviously a weird place but so fascinating.
    ShaneU wrote: »
    Middle East
    North Korea
    Most of Africa

Africa is so amazing! Have you been?
    I wouldn't mind going to Constantinople or whatever they're calling it now, but Turkey is a no go for me due to their treatment of the Kurds and Armenians.

Fair point but great city.
    archer22 wrote: »
    The Netherlands..most pig ignorant place I ever encountered.

Anywhere in the middle east with the exception of Iran.

Have meet loads of lovely Dutch people.
    Dante wrote: »
    Saudi Arabia or Iran.

Iran is amazing , so so friendly and just incredible things to see, Don’t be put off my the negative media. One of my favourite countries.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Most of the Middle East excepting Jordan and Egypt. This includes Israel.

Much of sub-Saharan Africa where wars, famines, tinpot dictators reign - but I would very much like to see some parts such as Tanzania (a good friend’s sister has extended an open invitation for me to come and stay with her there), South Africa, Zambia, Kenya and Namibia.

Some unstable countries in Central America I would also give a miss.

Are there unstable countries in Central America? Like definitely problems with gun crime in places - but not sure if any are really unstable. Spent a year in Honduras and thought it was grand despite the reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Belarus, a more backward, horrid and dysfunctional place if there was ever one.

You couldn't be more wrong.

It's a fantastic country with the most nice people. It's the cleanest country I've ever been to. No litter to be seen anywhere. It's incredibly cheap, the food is great and their local beers are top notch.

Yet again, another political motivated attack on a country with knowing much else.

Sure it's ruled by a complete asshole. Ireland is a democracy thankfully but we are a fcuking filthy populace with zero respect for our public spaces. You won't see much if any litter in Minsk. Ireland is disgustingly expensive, Belarus is cheap as chips.

There's trade offs.

On the OP, I'd wouldn't go to South Africa if you paid me. Seems like a strange country with a lot of violence and murder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭AllForIt

AMKC wrote: »
    Me I would not go to Turkey. I was there once and would never go again. I found the people rude and small minded as well as backwards.

I lived in Turkey with my Turkish parther for 3 month stints (all visa would allow) over the course of a few years and I found his family completely normal and nice. We would have dinner at this parents house most days (we lived nearby) and I couldn't have felt more comforable and welcomed. Not sure If I brought my Turkish lover back to rural Ireland he'd have gotten the same treatment.

Cental America would be my no.1. That whole drug cartel and crime thing really scares me. Anything to do wtih crime and poverty due to corruption and criminality would put me right off. Wars aside I'd feel better going to the middle east, Iran, Saudi etc than Central America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,065 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

AllForIt wrote: »
    Cental America would be no.1. That whole drug cartel and crime thing really scares me. Anything to do wtih crime and poverty due to corruption and criminality would put me right off. Wars aside I'd feel better going to the middle east, Iran, Saudi etc than Central America.

Stay away from Northern Ireland then

Swaine wrote: »

It's a fantastic country with the most nice people. It's the cleanest country I've ever been to. No litter to be seen anywhere. It's incredibly cheap, the food is great and their local beers are top notch.

Yet again, another political motivated attack on a country with knowing much else.

Sure it's ruled by a complete asshole. Ireland is a democracy thankfully but we are a fcuking filthy populace with zero respect for our public spaces. You won't see much if any litter in Minsk. Ireland is disgustingly expensive, Belarus is cheap as chips.

There's trade offs.

On the OP, I'd wouldn't go to South Africa if you paid me. Seems like a strange country with a lot of violence and murder.

Plenty of flights from Ireland to Belarus too. Even the ones that are not supposed to go there go there

There's trade offs.

I'm pretty confident most people would choose Ireland over Belarus.

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Conflict aside, the most amazing country in SE Asia. The people are such a joy to be in the company of.

I second this. I've been to 80+ countries and Myanmar is probably my favourite. Amazing people, amazing food and amazing scenery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

I'm pretty confident most people would choose Ireland over Belarus.

For a holiday? No chance. Vast majority of Europeons couldn't afford a week in Ireland.

Many of our own citizens can't afford a week on holiday here.

Visa requirement aside, Belarus would win hands down.

For a holiday? No chance. Vast majority of Europeons couldn't afford a week in Ireland.

In a straight up choice between the 2 I would imagine most people would stay home and save their money

LOL

Ten million people came to Ireland per year pre covid.

That said I’d like to visit Belarus

breezy1985 wrote: »
    In a straight up choice between the 2 I would imagine most people would stay home and save their money

Straight up choice for a week?
    I would be gone yesterday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

guy2231 wrote: »
    True, looks like a lot of Irish have also fell victim to the boogeyman propaganda about Iran.
    Spent a month travelling around Iran solo and it's probably my favourite trip having visited about 60 countries. The people and the history there is just amazing and the country is so diverse as you go around. Clearly there is issues there with the government and some cultural issues but I found them to be the warmest and most welcoming people I've ever come in contact with. The amount of random cups of tea I got off complete strangers, being invited for dinner to people's homes and the genuine curiosity and appreciation that I was visiting their country. I spent about 500 euro give or take for a months travel, accommodation, food etc. Its definetly a place I'll be going back too and would recommend to anyone!

• Advertisement

Spent a month travelling around Iran solo and it's probably my favourite trip having visited about 60 countries. The people and the history there is just amazing and the country is so diverse as you go around. Clearly there is issues there with the government and some cultural issues but I found them to be the warmest and most welcoming people I've ever come in contact with. The amount of random cups of tea I got off complete strangers, being invited for dinner to people's homes and the genuine curiosity and appreciation that I was visiting their country. I spent about 500 euro give or take for a months travel, accommodation, food etc. Its definetly a place I'll be going back too and would recommend to anyone!

did you take many photos? brought the auld drone along?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Did you come home with a complimentary box of pistachio nuts?
    In an ornate box, your missus now keeps her jewellery in

Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan. Anything that ends with stan.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭blackvalley

silverharp wrote: »
    China

Why.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Happyhouse22

Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan. Anything that ends with stan.

Why?

Kyrgyzstan is unbelievably spectacular.

Uzbekistan was great too - see these both being huge tourist destinations in the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

Scotland - weather is worse than here and more midges

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Like I have already said, it doesn't appeal to me, there is nothing there that piques my interest.

Its not a moral decision or a safety issue like some others here have for other areas.

Its quite as simple as that. It can be as beautiful as fcuk, I still currently have zero desire to go.

So what countries have you visited and why ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Why.

I know you didn’t ask me but what I didn’t like about China and why I would never go back was 1)everyone kept spitting so much and it was overall pretty dirty. 2)i didn’t speak mandarin so couldn’t converse with people/couldn’t order food. 3)the clear political spin they put on pretty much everything. I know that Irish people do it a little bit I feel it’s not to the same extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

Egypt.

Spent a week there. Never again. A ****ing dump.

Only the people we met there were worse than the barren landscape in 50 degrees

Yah.. i wonder if thats why they are as they are .. the barren landscape in 50° day in / out with not a shag all lot to do .. the landscape must shape em .. you'd start countin stones or something .. for distraction like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    villages in rural England make our nice ones look like slums

our villages are mostly ugly in appearance , i accept that England has plenty of towns that are dumps in the likes of the Midlands but the likes of the Lake district , the Home counties and the South West have beautiful villages

So does Yorkshire, the Lake District, and I have been to some lovely villages up around the borders near Berwick. Some of the old rural pubs are amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Having family over in the Netherlands, I usually visit at least once a year. I know the country pretty well now.

The Dutch are friendly, helpful and down to Earth, but they are very direct and Irish people - notoriously indirect - can mistake that directness for rudeness.

What I saw there had nothing to do with the Dutch being "direct" or the Irish being "notoriously indirect"...there was no mistaking the rudeness.

The first incident I witnessed was a small group of Filipino OFWs being shouted at and made a show of at Schiphol airport by airport personnel because they had a few bottles in their luggage, presumably as gifts to bring home...the bottles were then flung with considerable force into a metal bin breaking them while the ignorant pigs kept berating the Filipino's, humiliating them in front of everybody..ok they shouldn't have had the bottles, but there was no need for what followed, it was disgusting!.

The second incident I witnessed involved a group of elderly American tourists who mistakenly got on the wrong bus..this of course set off Dutchy the driver, more shouting and a big drama as he evicted the poor doddery old souls..even flinging a bag out the door after them.

Personally all I experienced was the famous "Dutchy elbow" when nearing a queue, this where Dutchy elbows you as he is about to pass, you automatically stop and turn then Dutchy jumps you in the queue.

Oh yeah there was a hotel incident as well where another Cloggy started going into drama mode because as he said we were entering the dining room by the 'wrong door'. When we pointed out to him that the sign outside the door said "dining room entrance" he shut up, but did he apologise for his mistake..hell no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

So what countries have you visited and why ?

Lets hear your list of areas you don't want to go to first, and then why, and then what countries you have been to or want to go to...and why.

The only rudeness I witnessed in the Netherlands was a group of guys outside a coffee shop laughing at a girl as she put her bike up against a load of other bikes and they all went down like dominos. Poor thing, there must have been about 50 bikes on the ground. :D

So does Yorkshire, the Lake District, and I have been to some lovely villages up around the borders near Berwick. Some of the old rural pubs are amazing.

Indeed.
    They're not all the pokie machine ridden, union flag tattooed lager lout lairs we are led to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Re dutch rudeness, Amsterdam may be higher on the rude scale (?) But Eindhoven, Zwolle and groenegen are very nice places. Lived in Zwolle myself, lovely place and I dislike most cities.

• Advertisement
Advertisement