Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there any country you would not go to even if you were paid to go there?

• 11-06-2021 9:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Me I would not go to Turkey. I was there once and would never go again. I found the people rude and small minded as well as backwards.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭cagefactor

Spent some time in Ivory Coast, never again.

United States at present. Gun culture & police brutality. Enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Saudi Arabia

The UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Genre..

Papa New Guinea

Nevr again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Someone already said Saudi Arabia, so will go with North Korea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Middle East
    North Korea
    Most of Africa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

AMKC wrote: »
    Me I would not go to Turkey. I was there once and would never go again. I found the people rude and small minded as well as backwards.

I wouldn't mind going to Constantinople or whatever they're calling it now, but Turkey is a no go for me due to their treatment of the Kurds and Armenians.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

The Netherlands..most pig ignorant place I ever encountered.

Anywhere in the middle east with the exception of Iran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Dante

Saudi Arabia or Iran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Genre.. wrote: »
    Papa New Guinea

Nevr again

Any particular reasons? The climate? the People? or combination of both? I have a friend who worked there for about 2 years, and she found it Ok ( but compared to some other places she worked in, that would be a relative experience.....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Dante wrote: »
    Saudi Arabia or Iran.

Iran, as the successor of the Persian empire, has got three thousand years of history and culture going on, so don't rule it out completely.

🙈🙉🙊

cagefactor wrote: »
    Spent some time in Ivory Coast, never again.

Did you manage a visit Liberia, while you were in there?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Most of the Middle East excepting Jordan and Egypt. This includes Israel.

Much of sub-Saharan Africa where wars, famines, tinpot dictators reign - but I would very much like to see some parts such as Tanzania (a good friend’s sister has extended an open invitation for me to come and stay with her there), South Africa, Zambia, Kenya and Namibia.

Some unstable countries in Central America I would also give a miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I would have zero interest in any country in South America, at all, at all, at all.

Anywhere else, grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

JupiterKid wrote: »

Shame you’ve ruled out Israel. Only been to Tel Aviv, but I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Id not go to a war zone but other than that id go anywhere. Don't understand why one wouldn't and a lot mentioned here are fantastic and diverse places to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Libya

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Id not go to a war zone but other than that id go anywhere. Don't understand why one wouldn't and a lot mentioned here are fantastic and diverse places to see.

Yes, they are but the proof of the pudding is in the eating ( or in this case, the visiting), and until you actually visit, or even live in a place then you will not really know what to think about them.

Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Australia.

Ditto, I can't think of anywhere else I'd least want to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭mojesius

India. Looks like a bloody kip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

I would have zero interest in any country in South America, at all, at all, at all.

Anywhere else, grand.

Can I ask why?

I’ve been to Argentina, Brazil, Bolivia and Peru - amazingly different in many ways.

Colombia and Ecuador are on my list to visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Be right back

Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

I'll go anywhere as long as its welcoming to my wife and gay friends, I'd have no interest in going to any place that isn't

I know its not a country,but visiting dubai bears no appeal to me atal

Everything there from people i know worked there and pics seem just completly and utter consumption for sake of it,flashy and greed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

archer22 wrote: »
    The Netherlands..most pig ignorant place I ever encountered.
    Really? I thought the Dutch were fierce friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

Saudi arabia on a relatively fat salary (teaching at a Uni), 4+ months holidays p.a. Very laid back - in the sense that everyone's bone lazy - isn't such a bad deal.

From a distance, places seem uninhabitable but if you factor in some advantages (money, free time), you'd be surprised what you might be willing to put up with

Everything being relative to the situation you are leaving behind of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,198 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Israel. Murderous state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭enricoh

Pakistan looks fairly iffy, Bangladesh not for me either.
    Stayed overnight in Bahrain, twas a fairly soulless place. Any building older than 10 years seemed to be demolished for a newer bigger shinier one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Really? I thought the Dutch were fierce friendly.

Yeah I find it strange that a lot of people think they are "friendly"...the reality is quite different, obnoxious is probably the best word to describe them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Most of the Middle Eastern and African countries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

mojesius wrote: »

As someone who was forced over there for a wedding it is indeed a bloody kip

I'd have no problem going to any country in the world, especially if I had not been there before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,790 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

JupiterKid wrote: »

Much of sub-Saharan Africa where wars, famines, tinpot dictators reign - but I would very much like to see some parts such as Tanzania (a good friend’s sister has extended an open invitation for me to come and stay with her there), South Africa, Zambia, Kenya and Namibia.

Some unstable countries in Central America I would also give a miss.

I’d pay money never to set foot on Israeli soil..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Australia.
    What's wrong with skippy land? It's great fun over there. Good weather, locals are grand. It's a grand spot.

archer22 wrote: »
    Yeah I find it strange that a lot of people think they are "friendly"...the reality is quite different, obnoxious is probably the best word to describe them.
    I can't say I've ever heard anyone say that about them. I mean a lot of people would say the Hungarians are rude and unfriendly which I would tend to agree with, but the Dutch are sound, or least they were when I was there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CaoimhinCong

I'd rather go to Lesotho then Leitrim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

mojesius wrote: »

It’s worth seeing once in your life, if only to appreciate how truly wonderful life in Ireland is by comparison.

I’m not an emotional person, but I found the poverty quite upsetting. The general filth and squalor is appalling. The heat and noise is an assault on the senses. Indians are mostly quite gentle and kind people though.

My first trip there I contracted an horrific dose of ‘Delhi belly’ which somewhat ruined the trip. I had to run out in the middle of several work meetings. Let’s just say that turtle was very close to leaving the shell a number of times!

Everybody that goes to India seems to get the trots.

• Advertisement

I have such disdain for the Gulf states that I have a map on my 'office' wall with that entire region newspaper'd over with a copy of The Daily Mail front page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Isreal . Out of principal I wouldn’t set foot in it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Anywhere that they have insects with loads of legs and bigger than my head that can kill you:eek:

Myanmar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Can I ask why?

I’ve been to Argentina, Brazil, Bolivia and Peru - amazingly different in many ways.

Colombia and Ecuador are on my list to visit.

Nothing major tbh, it just doesn't appeal to me. Nothing at all drawing in my interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

South Africa or any country that people are racists against whites, and I not really "white", more mediterranean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I have lived and worked in a lot of the Middle East, but predominantly Kuwait and Iraq. The stereotype of Gulf countries is unfortunately false. They are full of culture, welcoming people, and truly beautiful landscapes. Obviously however there are issues which cannot be overlooked, chiefly the (mis)treatment of women and the LGBT community, but I do recommend people to visit and experience them. You just have to be mindful of the cultural differences and abide by them so long as you are there.

The one country I will never go back to is Italy. Outside of the countryside which is undoubtedly beautiful, the cities are sh1tholes, full of people trying to scam you at every opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭mojesius

Hamachi wrote: »
    It’s worth seeing once in your life, if only to appreciate how truly wonderful life in Ireland is by comparison.

I’m not an emotional person, but I found the poverty quite upsetting. The general filth and squalor is appalling. The heat and noise is an assault on the senses. Indians are mostly quite gentle and kind people though.

My first trip there I contracted an horrific dose of ‘Delhi belly’ which somewhat ruined the trip. I had to run out in the middle of several work meetings. Let’s just say that turtle was very close to leaving the shell a number of times!

I found that my appreciation for Ireland grew after living in New York and London for a few years. I missed the greenery, the clean air, the accessibility to nature and the people. So I definitely don't need to go to India for that reason.
    Work also tried sending me there for a few weeks and I got out of it as I was pregnant at the time, just made my excuses. I work with a lot of Indians and some are great friends of mine, but they'll also tell you the woes of the country.

Anyone I know who has been has also had the trots and said similar to you, that it's an assault on the senses. I just have no desire to visit. Also, it doesn't seem the safest place to visit as a woman (although there are unfortunately many countries like that).

What's wrong with skippy land? It's great fun over there. Good weather, locals are grand. It's a grand spot.

Sure there's no accounting for these things. There was someone on the thread earlier said Mexico, one of my favourite places w/ great people, food, craic and one of the most diverse and interesting countries on the face of the planet. :eek:

But if I *had* to answer the q... Australia always seemed like a cultural wasteland to me... plus it's boringly predictable destination for Irish people (am sure it's grand really :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Poland

• Advertisement
Advertisement