Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenovo Smart Clock / Smart Clock Essential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

shovel wrote: »
    No flicker on the screen. I bought the grey. I have black speakers on a surround system and they really show any speck of dust.

I replaced a clock radio with this and found it ideal.
    we have echo dots and one echo show in other rooms in the house and this is the best for a bedroom.

Can you set a Mon to Friday alarm, (ie does not go off at weekends)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭feet of flame

Would you really want a device thats constantly listening and recording what it hears in your bedroom????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Would you really want a device thats constantly listening and recording what it hears in your bedroom????

It only sends the audio of the command after the keyword is spoken (Hey Google or OK Google).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

Depends how much or little riding your doing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

k123456 wrote: »
    Can you set a Mon to Friday alarm, (ie does not go off at weekends)

Yes, or separate one(s) for whichever day you like, to reoccur weekly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭drogon.

Anyone know if this can be set to turn off the display at 10pm and turn back on at say 6am ?

Would hate to have it on all the time, even if was at a low brightness.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tom_murphy112

drogon. wrote: »
    Anyone know if this can be set to turn off the display at 10pm and turn back on at say 6am ?

Would hate to have it on all the time, even if was at a low brightness.

Not possible from what I am reading, the display just dims when the room gets dark as it has a light sensor built-in.

You can however ask Google to turn off the display at night and turn it on in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

On the Google hub, it can be configured to turn off the display during low light or 5 minutes after activity. This may have similar options.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tom_murphy112

JDxtra wrote: »
    On the Google hub, it can be configured to turn off the display during low light or 5 minutes after activity. This may have similar options.

The only thing I could find online was from a verge article
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/3/18647606/lenovo-smart-clock-review-specs-price-features
    It also does an excellent job of automatically adjusting the brightness 
    of the screen for the available light in the room, so it doesn’t become blinding 
    or distractingly bright in the middle of the night when you’re trying to sleep.

I would hate having something that can't be turned off automatically, hence went with the essential clock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'm wavering here guys! I'm been thinking of getting some Smart devices (bulbs mostly) but was looking at Amazon's Alexa/Dot offerings

I'm already pretty much all in on Google anyway. I guess I could still buy bulbs and this would manage at least some of them?

I have a house full of Philips Hue bulbs and Google is much better than Amazon Alexa for setting up and controlling the lights in my experience. I have Google minis & Echo dots around the house and the Echo dots (i.e. the Alexa app) can be a pain when adding lights.

This isn't bad value on Argos to get going with Hue.

I don't need a Lenovo Smart Clock so I best get one...

• Advertisement

From a quick Google it seems you can have the screen turn completely off automatically in low light.

https://old.reddit.com/r/googlehome/comments/gz7ru8/can_you_turn_off_the_screen_of_the_lenovo_smart/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭budgemook

Seems to be out of stock on Lenovo site so ordered on curry’s for pick up, it will be nice to get out of the house.

Thanks OP, my wife will give it to her brother for Christmas. Solid present.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

From a quick Google it seems you can have the screen turn completely off automatically in low light.

https://old.reddit.com/r/googlehome/comments/gz7ru8/can_you_turn_off_the_screen_of_the_lenovo_smart/

Having had the Smart Clock for a year... this I did not know; yes, that setting is there. When it's dark I have it set to go to the dimmest setting, and the "mono" clockface (white numbers on black) automatically appears. This is very, very dim and doesn't bother me at night at all, yet the time remains legible.

I kinda don't see the point of a bedside alarm clock that turns off showing the time at night, but that's just me :)

The price for either of these is very good value. I thought the full-fat Smart Clock was an excellent buy at twice the price.

Here is the setting for those wondering:

IMG_20200103_151944_1.JPG

nephster wrote: »

I kinda don't see the point of a bedside alarm clock that turns off showing the time at night, but that's just me :)

Bare in mind, this is a IPS panel. So even if you have a dark watch face there is going to be white light bleeding from the backlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

JDxtra wrote: »
    You will need a phone or tablet with the Google Home app installed (and on the wifi) plus a Google account.

Not necessarily. I have my parents' Google Home set up running off my Google home app, I just have it set up as a second address

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭garyfleming7

Can you view your Ring Door bell on the screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi
    How you you get photos to display on it please? Directly from phone or need USB & load into Lenovo?

Can you view your Ring Door bell on the screen?

Ring is owned by Amazon, so most likely No.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭kaahooters

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi
    How you you get photos to display on it please? Directly from phone or need USB & load into Lenovo?

from your google account photos.

• Advertisement

Hi again,

Answer is probably no but are there any alternatives for around the same price (even a little bit more) that have better sound?

Thanks,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

kaahooters wrote: »
    from your google account photos.

Unless any recent updates it doesn’t seem possible per this article https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/3/18647606/lenovo-smart-clock-review-specs-price-features

Doesn’t display Google Photos albums

drogon. wrote: »
    Unless any recent updates it doesn’t seem possible per this article https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/3/18647606/lenovo-smart-clock-review-specs-price-features

Doesn’t display Google Photos albums

Such a thing did indeed occur. :)

"Continuous conversation and Google Photos album were recently added via OTA."

https://old.reddit.com/r/googlehome/comments/cvm6de/lenovo_smart_clock_3_months_review/

Hi yet again,

Last question. I read a review that said for Essential you have to go into your phone to change alarm volume. Is this the case with Smart Clock (non-essential version) as well?

Thanks,
    Pa.

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi yet again,

Last question. I read a review that said for Essential you have to go into your phone to change alarm volume. Is this the case with Smart Clock (non-essential version) as well?

Thanks,
    Pa.

Nope.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Smart-Display-Lenovo-Smart-Clock-with-Google-Assistant/Volume-issues-with-my-new-Smart-Clock-with-google-assistant/m-p/4449230?page=1#4450926

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭curranbaz

PreCocious wrote: »

Thanks OP! Very quick turnaround on these! Ordered Essential yesterday & delivered this morning...... from Germany!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

A fantastic little device, I bought 3 ages ago and put one in the living room, one in the bedroom and one in my daughters room. The display is lovely and clear and the auto dimming is great, it isn't intrusive at night. Sound quality is OK, it's not something you'd want to listen to music on for any length of time. I got them as I just wanted something to show the time, control smart lights, give me a feed from Nest camera's and in the case of my daughters unit, playback a Spotify playlist when putting her to bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Currently the smart clock (more expensive of the two) is OOS

Advertisement