Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Cake Controversy!

Options
1123124125126127129»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

astrofool wrote: »
    While people seem to be getting tetchy, my point was that, based on the anti-discrimination laws, a printer can't refuse business but that there is a difference between a publisher and a printer, if I wrote a book with gay content, I can't force the church to publish it for me, I can however expect that any printing and manufacturing business wouldn't be able to discriminate against me and not print it if I pay the price to do so.
    I don't think this is correct.

A printer, like a publisher, like any other business, can't discriminate against a customer on one of the prohibited grounds. If I turn away your business because you're gay, then I'm in breach of the equal treatment legislation; this is true whether I am a printer or a publisher or a shoemaker or anything else.

But what we have here is a case of the right to equal treatment running up agains the right to freedom of speech.

Can a publisher decline to publish a book by Donald Trump? Yes, absolutely. Can a printer decline to print the book? Yes, absolutely. The publisher and the printer both have a right to free speech which means they can't be compelled to produce, or join in the production of, statements that they don't wish to make. And in neither case is there an issue with the equal treatment legislation because there is nothing to suggest that Trump's business is being turned down because of his race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc.

Can a publisher decline to publish a book (a) supporting marriage equality, or (b) opposing marriage equality? Can a printer decline to print it? The publisher's argument will be that he doesn't care, and quite possibly doesn't know, about the sexual orientation, religion, etc of the author; his refusal to publish is based entirely on the contents of the book, with which he does not agree. The author, however, will argue that - whether or not the printer and publisher knew it - he is gay, or he is a fundamentalist Christian, and in the work he wrote is an expression of that identity, and the refusal to publish or print it impinges on him to such an extent as to amount to discrimination on the grounds of his sexual orientation/religious belief.

As we've already seen in this thread, in the Masterpiece Cakes case the US Supreme Court decided the case on other grounds, so this question remains open (which no doubt is why another attempt is being made to get the issue back to the Supreme Court). But in the UK, in Asher's Bakery, the Supreme Court confronted the issue and ruled that no-one can be forced to promote a belief or opinion they did not believe in or profoundly disagree with. I don't think there's anything in either the UK or US cases to support a publisher/printer distinction.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Hello again everyone😁

Into year 8 of this sorry saga!

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/0106/1272110-european-court-bakery/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

I think the saga is over now. If you feel the overwhelming urge to physically force other people to change their point of view on the grounds that you’ve decided that they should be forced to agree with you, then resist that urge and busy yourself with a pursuit that will be beneficial to society in general in the short/long term. Life is too short to be wasting it like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Astonishing this farce going on so long, I see the thread started in 2014 .

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

It'll keep rolling. There's plenty of money still to be made.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Did they pay for the royalties to use Bert and Ernie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,672 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Again common sense has prevailed. We won't have the courts clogged up with compensation claims from people who went to a baker in Crossmaglen for a No Surrender To the IRA slogan. Or a Portadown baker who refused to put a Support a United Ireland slogan on a cake.

Now that same sex marriage is legal in the North, I would support the prosecution of any baker who refuses to supply a cake for a gay wedding. But the case was only ever about whether a trader could be forced to put a political message on a bespoke product.

Has anybody looked into the actual laws the ECHR is based on. It’s not surprising that it doesn’t mention sexual orientation but does mention religious rights, given that it’s a 1953 document

and religious people have won cases before:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eweida_v_United_Kingdom

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The case was being taken on a political expression basis, not sexual orientation.

No but the state funded 7 years of legal fees. Last time I checked that ain't bloody cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,320 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

They could have made the cake themselves at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,072 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well, their reason for throwing it out was because he hadn't exhasted all avenues at State level, so there's that.

I don't see how he can win this - if he's been straight they'd have still said no. And they're well within their right to decline his custom as a private business.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I really get satisfaction from this story. I'm totally pro equality, but I don't like the idea of somebody deliberately goading someone else based on their beliefs. What a waste of years of that activitist's life. What an imposition on the Ashers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭ebbsy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Hope he and his organisation get a massive legal bill, including the costs of the bakery

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭Archeron

When I saw European Court bakery in the link, I thought oooh that's handy, I'd love a bakery in my office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

I often wondered if he thought of going into a Muslim bakery with his request.

Wonder what the outcome would be then?

probably would have baked the cake with the message on it. he would want to make sure the bakery is on the ground floor 1st though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

In relation to this particular incident, I think none.

But the ECHR has refused to take the case because they consider that the applicant didn't exhaust the remedies available to him in the UK courts. As a result, they haven't actually ruled on the issues the case raises. Which means that if similar circumstances occur again, another person can bring proceedings in the UK which raise the same issues, and those proceedings could go all the way to the ECHR.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Great to see this result!

Will really annoy the people who say about twitter/facebook etc "it's a private company, they can ban who they want" yet thought this was discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The gay gestapo dont have a problem with Muslims.

Sacred cow of progressives where as Christians perfectly ok to mock

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

Are there many specifically Muslim bakers in NI?

We all thought when it was dismissed in the High Court that was the end of the matter and it wasn’t so who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 20,672 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

After the original County Court verdict, it went to the Court of Appeal, which is above the High Court in the system. After that it went to the Supreme Court, which is the highest UK court, before going to the European Court of Human Rights. I don't think there is anywhere else to go in the courts system.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

An exaggerated folding of the arms and a massive sulk would be my guess.

Advertisement