Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Cake Controversy!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Proof to back up this last post please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Collie D wrote: »

There was a thread on the whole parent 1 and 2 thing a while ago but I'm pretty sure it was about an article in France and I'm not even sure it was an actual change rather than a proposal. The way 'the family unit' is enshrined in Irish legislation I'd say it will be long time before that kind of madness reaches here. (And that's fine by me)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Collie D wrote: »
    Not 100% sure. But believe I heard it on niall boylan show classic hits 4fm. He's one of the few guys in media who's not **** scared of pcbrigade snowflakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,068 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Latest crap from pcbrigade is can't say pregnant woman anymore ......now has to be pregnant person. !.
    Lord bless you, but you're very gullible!
    When I read this latest bull**** it warms me to know that the likes of ashers bakery are still around.
    Yes. That's probably why they tell you this stuff.
    . . . Seems this moaning tiny minority in pc brigade protected LGBTWRSTUVWXYZ have taken over Ireland. Sad !
    Have you been listening to that Mr. Trump again?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Peregrinus wrote: »

they were listening to niall boylan apparently. Probably just as bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Peregrinus wrote: »

they were listening to niall boylan apparently. Probably just as bad.
    Height of respect for both named gentlemen. They are not frightened by pc brigade.

Height of respect for both named gentlemen. They are not frightened by pc brigade.

LOL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Point of order there - 'gentlemen' ?????? Shome mishtake shurely ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,068 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Never listened to Boylan, but Trump is frightened all the time by almost everything. Have you never noticed his insecurity?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

looks like the branch where the order was placed, on Royal Avenue is now set to close.

https://www.buzz.ie/news/gay-cake-bakery-303767
    There hasn't been enough business in recent times.
    It comes after the Bank Buildings fire nearby that has devastated traders.
    The surrounding area is closed to pedestrians and traffic while engineers conduct inspections, thus hurting businesses.

Ashers has eight other outlets.

Daniel McArthur, the general manager, told the Times:
    “It simply comes down to the figures. We decided not to renew the lease. Belfast city centre isn’t busy enough — our other shops are much busier.
    It’s been planned for some time and I am pleased to say there will be no job losses.”

I thought they only had one shop, outside the city?
    good to know that business is good in the other 8 branches, anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

looks like the branch where the order was placed, on Royal Avenue is now set to close.

https://www.buzz.ie/news/gay-cake-bakery-303767
    There hasn't been enough business in recent times.
    It comes after the Bank Buildings fire nearby that has devastated traders.
    The surrounding area is closed to pedestrians and traffic while engineers conduct inspections...

I thought they only had one shop, outside the city? good to know that business is good in the other 8 branches, anyway

Ashers to ash - a bit ironic no

Northern Ireland and Belfast in particular is coming down with wee bun shops / bakeries. Ashers are no exception tbh. It's good to see the old sectarian stuff apparently disappearing and all and sundry supporting business of different faiths as it were...

• Site Banned Posts: 120 ✭✭Lash Into The Pints

Rare and welcome to see common sense win out. **** that lgbt bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Rare and welcome to see common sense win out. **** that lgbt bully.

Did you mean that religous bully :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Fella asks you to rip off copyright to a commercial entity and you get taken down for equality legislation, should have went to Specsavers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

That's one expensive cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Maybe Brexit will cut this one off in time.

Maybe Brexit will cut this one off in time.

The ECHR is nothing to do with the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Well, if you knew anything about the story you would know that Asher's accepted his money, and then declined service. They broke the law. They deserved the consequences.

I didn't know this at all.

So they took the money? Knowing about the style of cake, knowing it was anti Christian? Took money anyway? And then refused to make the cake?

If that's the case **** em.

I suspect its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

This thread is 5 years old...... Wow.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

So they took the money? Knowing about the style of cake, knowing it was anti Christian? Took money anyway? And then refused to make the cake?
    It was an employee who took the order, the owner informed them the next day that they couldn't fulfill the order. (I presume he was refunded, if he had paid at all, at that stage)
    The ECHR is nothing to do with the EU
    I thought May was taking the UK out of the jurisdiction of the ECHR as well, not sure what Boris's plans are, or what way it might end up, at all

It was an employee who took the order, the owner informed them the next day that they couldn't fulfill the order. (I presume he was refunded, if he had paid at all, at that stage)

I thought May was taking the UK out of the jurisdiction of the ECHR as well, not sure what Boris's plans are, or what way it might end up, at all

They were refunded. So? How shortly after?

They drove from down somewhere. Is there no bakeries there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

They were refunded. So? How shortly after?

They drove from down somewhere. Is there no bakeries there?

read the thread, i don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 14,702 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Think the Court of Human Rights is an establishment of the original Council of Europe, which no-ones leaving anytime soon........might be the European Court of Justice that the Brits are trying to run from (and doing a pretty crap job of) post-Brexit.

So as soon as Brexit is out of the way.......lets say a conservative date of 2150, then they'll get cracking on getting out of the Council of Europe, probably by 2500 at the earliest.
    Might just be easier to just wait for the British Isles to float away.

McDermotX wrote: »
    Think the Court of Human Rights is an establishment of the original Council of Europe, which no-ones leaving anytime soon........might be the European Court of Justice that the Brits are trying to run from (and doing a pretty crap job of) post-Brexit.

So as soon as Brexit is out of the way.......lets say a conservative date of 2150, then they'll get cracking on getting out of the Council of Europe, probably by 2500 at the earliest.
    Might just be easier to just wait for the British Isles to float away.

Whatabboutery. The British want control/jurisdiction of their own country which their well entitled to.

And that's coming from someone who despises their crimes and wants control of his own country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,702 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Whatabboutery. The British want control/jurisdiction of their own country which their well entitled to.

And that's coming from someone who despises their crimes and wants control of his own country.

Granted my little Brexit dig was a little left field, but it is a Friday night.

But, the Council of Europe and the responsibility levelled at its members is whatabboutery ?

Someone should have said something back in the 40s. Granted there was a big distraction going on back then.......but guess who was one of the movers and shakers behind the idea of a 'European Council' back then ?

The Court of Human Rights is a privilege open to all inhabitants of member countries of the Council..........one of the 'downsides or upsides' of that privilege is that disputes like this can have their day in a recognised court.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Who says we get to the 10k post limit before this saga is finally put to bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

When the Supreme Court ruled on this one of their reasons were something like this (and I am paraphrasing here)

"Had the people who ordered the cake not been LGBT then Asher's would still not have fulfilled the order"

Therefore they did not discriminate on sexual orientation grounds.

End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Gael23 wrote: »
    Who says we get to the 10k post limit before this saga is finally put to bed?

Ironically on page 666

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

When the Supreme Court ruled on this one of their reasons were something like this (and I am paraphrasing here)

"Had the people who ordered the cake not been LGBT then Asher's would still not have fulfilled the order"

Therefore they did not discriminate on sexual orientation grounds.

End of story.
    Thats akin to saying "we don't sell fried chicken in our shop. We dont sell it to anyone, white or black. We don't sell it cos we disagree with black people eating it but thats not the point, we dont sell it to whites either so its not racist!".

If you divide down a racist act into its very atomic actions, none of them can be pointed to and called racist. Bigotry is an emergent phenomenon. You have to look at the over all effect and its intent in the first place and in that way this cake business is clearly bigotted.

Advertisement