Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airhelp seeking payment years later

Options
  • 11-06-2021 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi - in 2017 I’ve got Airhelp to chase ryanair for me because of a mess of cancelled flights etc.
    Eventually I was compensated by Ryanair in 2018 and contacted Airhelp several times asking for their invoice. I ended forgetting all about it until this week, when I received an email from them asking for the 600eur fee.

The thing is, I absolutely don’t have that money right now. I’m unemployed and struggling and honestly forgot all about that because it was it was almost 3 years ago!!

What can they do if I just ignore the emails?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Feerr wrote: »
    Hi - in 2017 I’ve got Airhelp to chase ryanair for me because of a mess of cancelled flights etc.
    Eventually I was compensated by Ryanair in 2018 and contacted Airhelp several times asking for their invoice. I ended forgetting all about it until this week, when I received an email from them asking for the 600eur fee.

The thing is, I absolutely don’t have that money right now. I’m unemployed and struggling and honestly forgot all about that because it was it was almost 3 years ago!!

I'd ignore it- would say they are chancing their arm trying to catch up on a payment 3 years later.

Wait until they write to you by post, if they ever do. Sure you could have changed email addresses for all they know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Feerr

I'd ignore it- would say they are chancing their arm trying to catch up on a payment 3 years later.

Wait until they write to you by post, if they ever do. Sure you could have changed email addresses for all they know.

Problem is…I have changed address. Actually, they took so long that I even moved to Portugal for over a year and then returned last year. I have all the emails I’ve sent them asking for the invoice in 2018 and they never replied. I guess I’ll wait and see what happens because I don’t have the money now anyway. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

€600 fee is massive?! How much were you compensated as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭stopthevoting

Were you even liable to pay them anything? Maybe you got the compensation eventually through your own efforts. Did you receive the compensation directly from Ryanair? If it came through Airhelp wouldn't they have already deducted their fees? Does that amount of €600 match with what you expected at the time? Is it a certain percentage?

Problem is…I have changed address. Actually, they took so long that I even moved to Portugal for over a year and then returned last year. I have all the emails I’ve sent them asking for the invoice in 2018 and they never replied. I guess I’ll wait and see what happens because I don’t have the money now anyway. Thanks

Better reason to just ignore it.

Seems excessive anyway, they're chancing their arm if you tried to sort this years ago and they only start communicating with you years later.

• Advertisement

€600 fee is massive?! How much were you compensated as a matter of interest?

I received €1200 directly from Ryanair (family of 3 traveling). Airhelp says they charged me 35% standard fee + 15% fee to take it to the court.

Were you even liable to pay them anything? Maybe you got the compensation eventually through your own efforts. Did you receive the compensation directly from Ryanair? If it came through Airhelp wouldn't they have already deducted their fees? Does that amount of €600 match with what you expected at the time? Is it a certain percentage?

I honestly don’t even remember agreeing to pay 50% of my compensation to them, but I guess I thought it was better than nothing. But the terms are these, they are not overcharging regarding what was agreed, they just ignored me for 3 years and dropped this massive invoice now.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Eli1

This happened to me 4 years ago- same story. I kept asking for invoice but no joy. Then 2 years ago loads of emails looking for their share of money. I decided to ignore all of their communication and nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

OP, I was delayed on an Aerlingus flight coming home from the Canaries, the flight was in fact cancelled. I was eligible for compensation and I claimed through a German company (the name I cannot recall). I signed a Power of Attorney document which basically allowed them to claim on my behalf.

My claim did come through and I remember the commission was fairly hefty. I received my monies from the German company and not the airline. If things escalate I would question their involvement and did you win your claim because of their involvement or through your own persistence ?

Eli1 wrote: »
    This happened to me 4 years ago- same story. I kept asking for invoice but no joy. Then 2 years ago loads of emails looking for their share of money. I decided to ignore all of their communication and nothing since.

Thanks - that’s really helpful!

• Advertisement

OP, I was delayed on an Aerlingus flight coming home from the Canaries, the flight was in fact cancelled. I was eligible for compensation and I claimed through a German company (the name I cannot recall). I signed a Power of Attorney document which basically allowed them to claim on my behalf.

My claim did come through and I remember the commission was fairly hefty. I received my monies from the German company and not the airline. If things escalate I would question their involvement and did you win your claim because of their involvement or through your own persistence ?

They did their job. Ryanair was ignoring me so they got it sorted, I guess that’s why I was ok to pay for it after I received the compensation even considering airhelp was asking for half of the money! But they ignored me for years and I forgot…now I don’t jave the €600 and it would probably take me a few months to put that money aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

The Statute of Limitations for them to start legal proceedings for the debt are up to 6 years from when the services were provided, according to https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/personal_finance/debt/glossary_of_debt_terms.html

It’s up to you to take a gamble on whether they will bother chasing it up further or not.

If you owe them the money, and you seem to be agreeing that they fulfilled their side of the contract, my inclination would be to contact them, explain that this is the first time you have received their invoice, that you are unable to pay it right at this minute but that you want to agree a payment plan to pay in instalments over the next 12 months (or something similar).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I honestly don’t even remember agreeing to pay 50% of my compensation to them, but I guess I thought it was better than nothing. But the terms are these, they are not overcharging regarding what was agreed, they just ignored me for 3 years and dropped this massive invoice now.
    I received €1200 directly from Ryanair (family of 3 traveling). Airhelp says they charged me 35% standard fee + 15% fee to take it to the court.

So they are not overcharging, they are charging what was agreed, apparently they did aid you in getting a refund, they are three years inside the statute of limitations for sending you a bill, but you are not inclined to pay?

I think it is worth remembering, you engaged this company to go to court if necessary to recover a relatively small amount of money, because that is what they do, but you want to take a gamble that they won’t take you to court for the same amount they charged to go to Court on your behalf? Seems logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

Does it boil down to how these companies work? It seems in some cases if you win your case the compensation is sent directly to you by the airline. In your case it seems the company acted on your behalf, won the case and Ryanair sent the compensation directly to you. In other cases the compensation is sent to the company acting on your behalf, they take their cut and forward the balance to you.

As Dav010 has said you do owe them their fees. However it is bad form on the Eirhelp not to reply to your emails and then invoice you 3 years later ! Hope it works out ….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Dav010 wrote: »
    So they are not overcharging, they are charging what was agreed, apparently they did aid you in getting a refund, they are three years inside the statute of limitations for sending you a bill, but you are not inclined to pay?

I think it is worth remembering, you engaged this company to go to court if necessary to recover a relatively small amount of money, because that is what they do, but you want to take a gamble that they won’t take you to court for the same amount they charged to go to Court on your behalf? Seems logical.

The morality of non payment aside, litigation is generally pointless for small sums, even more so when the debtor is unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Squiggle wrote: »
    The morality of non payment aside, litigation is generally pointless for small sums, even more so when the debtor is unemployed.

And yet this is a company that operates on litigating for small sums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Dav010 wrote: »
    And yet this is a company that operates on litigating for small sums.

Against airlines not individuals. Massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

There was another thread about them a while ago, from somebody who got a bill from them a few years later despite them not actually doing anything.

I will try to negotiate a payment plan with them. It’s not that I don’t want to pay, I can’t at the moment. I had a good job 3 years ago, now is different.

I will try to negotiate a payment plan with them. It’s not that I don’t want to pay, I can’t at the moment. I had a good job 3 years ago, now is different.

Why not just ignore them and see what happens?

• Advertisement
Advertisement