Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-07-2017, 22:30   #1
Get In There

Cycling bargains from AliExpress & other Chinese websites

Following on from a post on Bargain alerts where subsequent suggestions was made for a new thread of this nature but never acted upon, I have taken it upon myself to get the ball rolling.

It's near impossible to browse for cycling gear on AliExpress or the like without seeing counterfeit gear. But in the interest of keeping this thread open, please don't post links to them. Besides there is always an identical item with no branding/Chinese brands so perhaps post these instead?

Cycling clothing

Bib shorts-Plenty of bib shorts available from as little as €9 so I won't link to one in particular.

All of my 5 bib shorts are from Ali Express. My main criteria when shopping for bib shorts is that the chamois must be a particular gel padding with lots of ventilation holes (quite often found in either blue or green colour). I once made the mistake of deviating from my criteria and got sent shorts with lousy foam padding so I'm all the more heistant to order shorts with different kind of chamois from what I usually get. However I have seen some thermal gear with the orange padding (which is common enough) recommended on here in the past so it's all a matter of personal taste really! Generally I find the bib shorts to be superior to Aldi/Lidl/Muddyfox by a country mile and serious bang for buck when it comes to quality.

Cycling jerseys: Plenty of pick from around €10 upwards.. More often than not, they all tend to be stitched together in a similar way in that there's no fancy stuff like reflective trims on the back pockets or zip pockets. Personal experience is that they're quick to pong of BO after around 15/20 washes. On par with the basic Aldi & Lidl jerseys really. Functional & cheap enough though!

The inspiration for this thread is the Cheji jersey which I found cheaper on DHGate. I have ordered it for €12.34 and am awaiting delivery. A fair few in the bargain alerts thread have ordered and received theirs - so far, good reports.

Cycling gloves €3.67. Received these recently, happy enough with the gel padding - comfortable to wear on the bike. Pretty happy enough with them and have already ordered full glove version for autumn. €5.44

My current winter gloves €4.18. I have bought winter gloves from Aldi & Lidl in the past but disliked how when you sweated and took your hand out of the gloves, the inside of the gloves would come out too & was a pig to put back in. Glad to report that this glove doesn't have that issue. It keeps your hands warm and is functional so happy enough to include this as a good buy.

I ordered cycling socks once but they were disappointing but if someone has had better luck than I had, please do share.

Cycle components & accessories

USB rechargeable lights €3.56 Have been subject to discussion in this forum in the past. Not the brightest lights but not the worse either! They're my primary lights for the summer and back up lights in the winter.

Chain breaker €1.60 - Easy to use and does the job!

Front mount for bicycle computer €1.66 Does what its supposed to do!

Chain measurement tool €2.34

3 x Tyre levers €4.14

Do share your buys & reviews here!

Last edited by Get In There; 26-07-2017 at 22:43. Reason: fixed broken links
Advertisement
26-07-2017, 23:07   #2
mamax

I refuse to use them anymore it took me ages to close my account with them after the froze it and insisted I send them a photograph front and back of my credit card, they said for security, as far as I was concerned they could feck right off I thought it was a bit dodgy.
26-07-2017, 23:17   #3
pprendeville

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamax View Post
I refuse to use them anymore it took me ages to close my account with them after the froze it and insisted I send them a photograph front and back of my credit card, they said for security, as far as I was concerned they could feck right off I thought it was a bit dodgy.
Bike24 asked me for that before and I complied although I don't think I'd give it to a Chinese company.
26-07-2017, 23:22   #4
Get In There

Quote:
That sounds like a pain alright but I've placed over 300 orders with them and never been asked that? All the same, Ali express aren't some little website, it's a huge company under Alibaba who are massive. But as with any requests of that nature, its up the the user to do their due diligence.
(3) thanks from:
27-07-2017, 08:02   #5
loudymacloud

Have used them a few times and never any issues. Can take a while for stuff to be delivered, but if you are not in a rush for them its fine.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-07-2017, 08:43   #6
mamax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get In There View Post
That sounds like a pain alright but I've placed over 300 orders with them and never been asked that? All the same, Ali express aren't some little website, it's a huge company under Alibaba who are massive. But as with any requests of that nature, its up the the user to do their due diligence.
Very strange they don't use paypal but they do use western union.
27-07-2017, 08:59   #7
positron

I bought this light for the bike, it was delivered in 3 weeks or so and I have only taken it out once and on one charge, in flashing mode, it was still blinking after 5 hours.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-LE...717032188.html

It's alright for €2
27-07-2017, 11:16   #8
BAAA RAM EWE
Banned

Quote:
Very strange they don't use paypal but they do use western union.
Pretty sure they do now.

PayPal fees were to high.
27-07-2017, 13:20   #9
Daroxtar

Ali express uses a very good system whereby they hold the money until it's confirmed that you have received the goods. That's why all goods are sent by tracked registered mail. Within a few minutes of you signing for the package you'll get an email notification asking you to confirm that you have received the goods and only then will they release the funds to the vendor. It's a fairly foolproof system, much better than eBay where you pay some randommer and hope that they send the stuff and then having to open a dispute to get a refund.

I've bought loads of stuff from it. Never once had a problem and pretty much everything arrived inside the predicted time. Quality is what you'd expect, some of it is great, others not so much.
Advertisement
27-07-2017, 13:47   #10
CantGetNoSleep

I worry that this thread is going to end up costing me a bit
27-07-2017, 16:30   #11
Andy Magic

I usually only buy stuff off Ali Express when I'm drunk... I'm yet to buy anything cycle related though yet
(2) thanks from:
27-07-2017, 17:01   #12
dahat

Sunglasses and Titanium skewers are my latest delivery, 17 days to get here, not bad.
Thanks from:
29-07-2017, 08:05   #13
Get In There

Quote:

The inspiration for this thread is the Cheji jersey which I found cheaper on DHGate. I have ordered it for €12.34 and am awaiting delivery. A fair few in the bargain alerts thread have ordered and received theirs - so far, good reports.
Got this yesterday, seller sent me a fake jersey, nothing like the real thing. i've had to open a dispute. Go with the seller cee cee jay recommended.
29-07-2017, 09:09   #14
iwillhtfu

Quote:
Got this yesterday, seller sent me a fake jersey, nothing like the real thing. i've had to open a dispute.
There's irony in there somewhere.
29-07-2017, 14:21   #15
happytramp

Bought some extremely lightweight, unbranded carbon seatposts and stems.... still going strong 3 years later.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion