Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
24-03-2017, 08:00   #46
tatranska
Registered User
 
tatranska's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 15,192
I took the lane on the quays this week in slow moving traffic only to be blown out of it by a flash car driver. He got my finger as he overtook for all of 5 seconds.
I beat him to the next lights
tatranska is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
24-03-2017, 08:05   #47
secman
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,528
An unfortunate Man in his 40's hit by a car near Christchurch last night has died, may in rest in peace
secman is offline  
(2) thanks from:
24-03-2017, 08:30   #48
ED E
Registered User
 
ED E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: D14
Posts: 30,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue-Trooper View Post
(although I'm not sure I'd use the term lackie which is unfairly derogatory)
Poor choice of words. Just trying to make it clear that it'll be a junior member who's desk it lands on, you wont get a Super nor a Sgt handling it.
ED E is offline  
(2) thanks from:
24-03-2017, 09:54   #49
Danjamin1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo! View Post
Worst area for me was turning right from harolds cross onto the canal. Two lanes of merging into one, majority going straight so lots of extremely close passes as I waited to turn right. Best thing to do is find a car in the queue turning right and plant myself behind it. It's great being able to go straight through the junction now.

New hotspot for me is from Patrick's cathedral to Christchurch. The bus lane at the start is a mess of dodgy merging, queue jumpers and deeply recessed man holes, and then the top of the road is a bit of a **** storm with two lanes becoming three and then four soon after.
These areas are both a serious scramble for space but I haven't seen many near misses at either myself. The junction at Kevin street & Patrick street is a nightmare as you always ALWAYS get the cycle lane blocked by cars sitting with their noses across it as they wait to get through the lights.
Danjamin1 is offline  
Thanks from:
24-03-2017, 10:03   #50
Tombo2001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by HivemindXX View Post
I don't really see how that's a sincere apology. It seems like this person was perfectly happy to lie to a guard about what he did and was not in the least bit sorry.
The point here I suppose is that a cyclist will always know if there has been a near miss, but a lot of the time the driver is not even aware of it (and so obviously will deny it until video evidence is shown to them).
Tombo2001 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
24-03-2017, 10:24   #51
mrcheez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanstrainor View Post
How though? Any advice here? I had another pass this evening which was worse.
- Put a copy of the unaltered video on DVD

- Put a copy of the video snippet in a separate video on the DVD

- Include a Notepad file with a description of the incident on the DVD
(time, place, description of event, your contact details)

Take it to the Gardai station and file a report. They will investigate and you will get a followup call etc. They will likely pay the driver a visit.

I've done this before when some kids threw a stone at me out of their car as they passed and I got it on video. Went all the way to the courts and they brought the car owner in for questioning, and I was congratulated on the evidence I produced - apparently no-one else thought to provide videos like this, but as I didn't get a visual on the driver they couldn't "prove" who was at the wheel.

Ridiculous I know, but now I know: *ALWAYS GET A VISUAL OF THE DRIVER*

Same with Dublin Bus drivers etc

At least the driver got a scare by being pulled into the station.
mrcheez is offline  
(3) thanks from:
24-03-2017, 10:32   #52
Alanstrainor
Moderator
 
Alanstrainor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dublin, Rathfarnham
Posts: 21,719
I'm going to try giving traffic watch a call. It seems to be the easiest approach. I'm actually going to call about another way more dangerous pass that happened yesterday. I have the raw video files (front and rear) saved, and edited versions too. Thanks guys.
Alanstrainor is offline  
(4) thanks from:
24-03-2017, 10:36   #53
mrcheez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanstrainor View Post
I'm going to try giving traffic watch a call. It seems to be the easiest approach. I'm actually going to call about another way more dangerous pass that happened yesterday. I have the raw video files (front and rear) saved, and edited versions too. Thanks guys.
Good luck, though I think close calls are taken less seriously than actual impact which is regarded as "assault".
mrcheez is offline  
Thanks from:
24-03-2017, 10:41   #54
malarkus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Dublin
Posts: 48
I have commuted by bike for the last two years in Dublin city centre and in the past couple of weeks Ive definitely noticed a surge in dangerous driver behaviour. On Wednesday alone I had three near misses. First was passengers exiting car in traffic, doors swinging open in front of me and people with hoods up not even looking as they step out. Second was a taxi driving the wrong side of road to get around a box at Christchurch hill, as I was cycling through. I braked hard, banged on his window and it didnt even register with him. Last was as I was just home and a car sped past me by less than 10cm to break the lights, the wind alone nearly took me off.
Christ, Im looking forward to moving to the Netherlands but I need to survive a couple more months on Irish roads til then!
malarkus is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
24-03-2017, 10:44   #55
mrcheez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by malarkus View Post
Christ, Im looking forward to moving to the Netherlands but I need to survive a couple more months on Irish roads til then!
You just have to watch out for crazy-fast commuters on their bikes, and bloody motorbikes on the bike path there

Nowhere's safe :/
mrcheez is offline  
Thanks from:
24-03-2017, 11:01   #56
Boom_Bap
Landfill
 
Boom_Bap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dublin
Posts: 19,196
I was after getting to the top of a long bridge today and started to freewheel down the other side and was picking up a bit of speed.
It's a solid white line on the cycle lane.
A car whipped in in front of me and stopped with the wheels beside the kerb. I jammed on and then the guy pulled back out in to his lane and slowed down in traffic.

As I went past the gar giving my 'what the fook' look, there were 2 young lads having a great laugh at me.
So yeah, thanks for trying to make me crash today for your amusement. Sound.

I didn't think about getting a reg, I was too busy talking myself out of going back and smashing their window with my lock.
Boom_Bap is offline  
(4) thanks from:
24-03-2017, 11:06   #57
Tombo2001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,829
What helmet camera do people recommend?
Tombo2001 is offline  
24-03-2017, 11:11   #58
Birdie Num Num
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 605
I have seen so many people on their phones either texting or on calls recently more than ever before. I don't think there should be any surprise that there has been so many pedestrian deaths so far this year. I have encountered oncoming cars on the wrong side of the road, drivers going through pedestrian crossings on the phone oblivious to people trying to cross them. I do believe driving with the phone has probably been a big factor in a lot of recent serious accidents to cyclists and pedestrians alike. I even had a collision myself recently with a cyclist on a footpath who had one hand on the handle bars with the other holding a phone to his ear. He came around a bend on a narrower path and lost control when he came across me jogging towards him and we collided. Its not a dig at cyclists but just emphasises if you are using a phone while driving you cannot be in full control of a vehicle or fully aware of your surroundings.
Birdie Num Num is offline  
24-03-2017, 11:13   #59
Tombo2001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Num View Post
I have seen so many people on their phones either texting or on calls recently more than ever before. I don't think there should be any surprise that there has been so many pedestrian deaths so far this year. I have encountered oncoming cars on the wrong side of the road, drivers going through pedestrian crossings on the phone oblivious to people trying to cross them. I do believe driving with the phone has probably been a big factor in a lot of recent serious accidents to cyclists and pedestrians alike. I even had a collision myself recently with a cyclist on a footpath who had one hand on the handle bars with the other holding a phone to his ear. He came around a bend on a narrower path and lost control when he came across me jogging towards him and we collided. Its not a dig at cyclists but just emphasises if you are using a phone while driving you cannot be in full control of a vehicle or fully aware of your surroundings.

You've singled out the cyclist you saw on the phone.

1. What is the ratio of cyclists on the phone to motorists on the phone. 1:100? 1:1000? Its not at all comparable.

2. I note you survived your collision with the cyclist. Would you have survived if it was a car?
Tombo2001 is offline  
24-03-2017, 11:16   #60
Danjamin1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombo2001 View Post
You've singled out the cyclist you saw on the phone.

1. What is the ratio of cyclists on the phone to motorists on the phone. 1:100? 1:1000? Its not at all comparable.

2. I note you survived your collision with the cyclist. Would you have survived if it was a car?
Ah come on, it doesn't have to be a case of whataboutery because a bike was mentioned instead of a car, it's a good analogy.
Danjamin1 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet