Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-03-2017, 14:41   #16
shootermacg

You can command the road all you want, but the graveyards are littered with cyclists and pedestrians who commanded the road. The problem is, you absolutely cannot even rely on every driver looking out their front window these days.

I've seen many looking out for a second, then looking at their phone for 4 to 5 seconds, before another quick glance up. These days you're up against some people who actually spend 20% of their time actually looking at the road.

I haven't heard anything yet about the most recent cyclist death, but I'd be very interested in the cause.
Advertisement
23-03-2017, 14:42   #17
helimachoptor
#TitanUp

I had 3 incidents on the way home last night on the n11, all were turning left without checking.

I'm at the point where i dont go mad anymore its happening so often
23-03-2017, 15:00   #18
Alanstrainor

This was on Monday, unfortunately it is a common enough occurrence:

I haven't noticed much change of late, I've been commuting on my bike for 10 years or so now, more if I include my journeys to school! I do go through weeks here and there where I encounter more idiots than usual however.
23-03-2017, 15:33   #19
Samuel T. Cogley

Thanks an arsehole who can't use a gear box. Can't possibly change down, hang back and go round 5 seconds later that would require actually driving the car.
23-03-2017, 15:36   #20
shootermacg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanstrainor View Post

I haven't noticed much change of late, I've been commuting on my bike for 10 years or so now, more if I include my journeys to school! I do go through weeks here and there where I encounter more idiots than usual however.
Pretty close there! I actually got pushed off the road last week by a Dublin bus that drew level with me and then drove me off the road by pulling into the cycle lane.

Old bus driver got out finally, just saying sorry, sorry I'm really sorry. Sometimes I think its our fault for going cycling each day, it's simply not a safe enough environment no matter what steps you take.
Advertisement
23-03-2017, 15:40   #21
Alanstrainor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel T. Cogley View Post
Thanks an arsehole who can't use a gear box. Can't possibly change down, hang back and go round 5 seconds later that would require actually driving the car.

I reckon it was caused by this idiot blindly following the guy in front. Although the first overtake left plenty of room, it was still around a blind bend on a continuous white line. And I was fairly prominently out in the lane. My solution is to cycle further out now, so far so good.
23-03-2017, 15:48   #22
Borderfox

Cycled through the city centre last Monday and it's exactly as I remember, not better or worse
23-03-2017, 15:53   #23
Indricotherium

Quote:
I reckon it was caused by this idiot blindly following the guy in front. Although the first overtake left plenty of room, it was still around a blind bend on a continuous white line. And I was fairly prominently out in the lane. My solution is to cycle further out now, so far so good.
People don't seem to realise that they can back out of an overtake if a car comes the other way, hit the brakes and pull in behind the cyclist.

They invariably seem to pull in and squash the cyclist rather than back out of the over take and slot in behind.
Thanks from:
23-03-2017, 16:06   #24
Esho

If a driver has the opportunity to do something stupid, I'll expect them to. Still I've had a few close ones since the new year, cycling defensively didn't make a difference. Mostly yahoos overtaking to turn left.
There's def a difference in pedestrian vigilance, more important to catch that pokemon or whatever.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-03-2017, 16:28   #25
shansey

Massive Argos lorry coming down under Christchurch nearly took me out last week. Was so close I had to jump (with bike) onto the footpath... Few other cyclists stopped from shock of it.
23-03-2017, 16:42   #26
ED E

Quote:
Originally Posted by shansey View Post
Massive Argos lorry coming down under Christchurch nearly took me out last week. Was so close I had to jump (with bike) onto the footpath... Few other cyclists stopped from shock of it.
If you got the reg Argos CC are very good. Worth an email/tweet.
23-03-2017, 16:53   #27
JazzyJ

Quote:

I'd be sending that to the gardai.
23-03-2017, 17:16   #28
moloner4

Quote:

I cycle that route often, I've found it to be one of the most dangerous cycling parts in Dublin between Portmarnock and Baldoyle. This use to happen to me until I slightly pushed out more into the road to prevent doggy over takes like this.

I really hope it doesn't take a death until they build that cycleway.
Thanks from:
23-03-2017, 18:38   #29
mrcheez

Generally speaking if you can see a car coming in the other direction, and you know there's no way for someone to pass you without coming close, take the lane.

I do this now for the stretch opposite St Annes Park (where the S2S is being built) when I can see cars coming in the opposite direction, to indicate to the cars behind me that they cannot overtake.
Thanks from:
23-03-2017, 18:51   #30
VW 1

I'm back commuting to city centre the last 3-4 weeks having been out of city centre for 3 years.

Couple of close passes but nothing noteworthy until this morning. Coming down constitution hill and a woman turns left across the cycle lane into Kings Inn without indicating. I jammed on the brakes but smashed sideways into the side of the car. Luckily not hurt I'd scrubbed a lot of speed off and dropped the bike and landed on my feet after hitting the car.

She was apologising but I didn't want to hear it, I let off a few expletives and got back on the bike. hopefully she learned a lesson about indicating and looking in mirrors when turning left, luckily no damage done this time.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion