Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-07-2016, 09:08   #31
Bloggsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by godtabh View Post
Boss owed me a day off so I said feck it I'd take it today.

Had a route in mind and set out to see where the morning would take me. 8 hours later I had 200km in the legs and felling of satisfaction that this has been my most productive day all week!

https://www.strava.com/activities/633246516
seems like you have a nice boss, can i have a job?
Advertisement
08-07-2016, 12:58   #32
devonp

fold up bike on Cruagh or Stocking !!??

fold up bike on Cruagh or Stocking !!??

on an extended commute home last night/evening came across a guy on what looked like a fold up bike!! very small wheels didn't notice any gears ? ascending from the viewing point towards the gap
tall bloke , dont know if he came via cruagh or straight up stocking

a regular??
08-07-2016, 13:03   #33
godtabh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggsie View Post
seems like you have a nice boss, can i have a job?
My wife didnt think so when I was getting phone calls off him on holidays.
08-07-2016, 13:31   #34
Alek

Quote:
On the incline to Whitehall, Alek pulled alongside me and we had a chat.

On my way home I met Alek again on Dorset St. and we yapped all the way to the South Circulsr Road where our routes split.
'Twas a pleasure Sir!
Thanks from:
09-07-2016, 14:48   #35
rollingscone

I'm halfway through my least enjoyable spin in recent memory.

Checked the weather last night saw it would be warm with all day rain so I wore my Verge Defender (Gabbaesque longsleeve).

No rain in 3hrs just excess heat. Crawled up Cruagh with my jersey zipped halfway then balked at hitting the featherbeds in strong gusting winds.

Another hour+ of seemingly omnidirectional headwinds and I'm I'm Maynooth having lunch.

When life gives you lemons etc
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-07-2016, 14:54   #36
Kaisr Sose

Quote:
Boss owed me a day off so I said feck it I'd take it today.

Had a route in mind and set out to see where the morning would take me. 8 hours later I had 200km in the legs and felling of satisfaction that this has been my most productive day all week!

https://www.strava.com/activities/633246516
Don't tell the boss you had your most productive day of the week on your day off 😀
(3) thanks from:
09-07-2016, 15:58   #37
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
My wife didnt think so when I was getting phone calls off him on holidays.
I had to take several work related calls while out yesterday - usually at the most inopportune time. One was at the top of Turlough Hill and I couldn't hear or make myself heard with the wind.
Thanks from:
09-07-2016, 16:02   #38
ted1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominoDub View Post
So the Sun is out in Dublin , "Howth for lunch" I said.

Plan was to do the Sutton to Howth Village Climb non stop (as it's only my second time doing it ).

Bagged it at a slow pace at 19mins. So as treat and reward for my little effort I had a nice seafood lunch at "Octopussy's Seafood Tapas Bar".

So I was feeling great on my return leg of my lunch spin, when along those Clontarf Sea Front road works I was forced into a Pot Hole at speed ,,,cheers Mr Van Driver..

The result was an instant "Double Puncture" event. ( Only had one spare tube)

Thanks to the friendly guys at "360 Cycles" I was back on the road quick enough.

***So a heads up warning to watch out for that Clontarf road surface during these road works.

https://www.strava.com/activities/633118000
Looks tempting , the misses is away with the kids mid week , so might call out that way for a spin and tapas after work .
Thanks from:
09-07-2016, 23:21   #39
Unknown Soldier

I haven't posted here in awhile but thoroughly enjoy reading about everyones spins out on their bikes, especially those starting off. there is a high motivational factor to be had

Anyways, my cycling over the past few months hasn't been the may west tbh. Life threw me a fair few lemons, and after awhile... I couldn't be arsed trying make lemonade.

But I still did my best to get out on the bike. Well, not really my best, more just Ultra procrastination, ending up in getting out and about.

To help with motivation I have been doing the odd Sportive here and there, and this morning was no different.

Decided to give the Bray Wheelers - Paddy Martin Randonee a lash. The 120km route.

I'd been thinking about doing it all week so planned to be in good form for it.
That all went a bit pear shaped last night when I decided to have two beers to help me sleep (a good night's sleep is very important for a sportive), and my local offy were doing 5 Łomża (pronounced Womza, weirdos!) for 10e. It just didn't make economic sense to buy two.

Lacking sense, I didn't just drink two. They rock in at 5.7%. And youtube is great for 90s dance tunes!

All that aside I woke up with my alarm at 5am. Then I woke up at 6am. Not sure what happened there.

The weather out the window, with the wind and the rain, was not conducive to Sportive stuff, or cycling in general. Nor was the fact that I slept badly and my neck hurt, a lot. I couldn't turn it to the right.

I had to let the BootyCat out so I got up anyways.

Couple of coffees and a few smokes later...I decided to head to Bray.

Due to the weather the numbers were lower than previous years I was told. Don't blame them. It was constant "proper" rain and a horrendous wind starting off.

Now, being a spanner, I didn't know the route. I am at this stage very used to being pampered with marshals and signs and stuff.

The first 20 odd KM were down the N11! I didn't see that coming!

I was blessed with hooking up with two lads and two ladies from Gory CC when I was leaving Bray on my lonesome. I'd have been fecked without them tbh. I assumed it was all back roads and stuff. Not the fecking N11.

It rained, a lot, but it was summer rain.

They were going at a seriously handy pace which suited my neck and stuff, but when we hit the countryside/hills at about 20km the two lads headed off and I tootled along with Anna and Michelle.

It still rained, a lot.

We split up at the point where the 90/120km split.

Then I was on my lonesome.

It was quite a lumpy ride to get to Shay Elliot, eventually @ 85 odd KM. After being lost a few times. I had to back track up a few hills. Insert #sadface

I eventually made it to Laragh. That is where I learned the final part of the route, the OLD Roundwood route to Bray.

What an utter See you next Tuesday. Full of false hopes and hills. Call me stupid here but if you climb 300 odd meters and then descend, you want to be at sea level heading to Bray? Right?

No.

Back up again. Then false hope with a descent. It went on and on.

My neck was killing me, I was wondering if tri bars would be a good addition to the bike so I could "lie down" and cycle.

Then the sun came out.

I had about 5ml of water left. More #sadface

I was over the moon to get to the end. this was far from my finest cycle, it was quite tough tbh.

But I got there in the end. And that is what it is all about.

I read a good article earlier about recovery after an arduous cycle, foam rollers, protein etc.

I'm down with that stuff. Lesson learnt.

Right after I finish these lovely Żywiec beers.
Advertisement
09-07-2016, 23:51   #40
Kaisr Sose

Fair play to you for getting out after the joys of the night before! I am a bit envious....

I am starting my 5th week off the bike due to an accident. No idea when I will be back on it. Not bones broken - all soft tissue /nerve damage in my arms from the jolt I got when hit. Please feel free to send your sympathies but no medical advice. ��
(2) thanks from:
10-07-2016, 01:51   #41
LollipopJimmy

Nice write up Unknown Soldier, it's the hard slogs that stand to you mentally and physically when you're chasing improvements. Knowing you can dig deep and pull through when you need to is a nice weapon to have in the bag.
(2) thanks from:
10-07-2016, 13:20   #42
devonp

Sunday spin, first time to Kippure mast..via

Leixlip, Enniskerry, Glencree, Kippure mast, Sally gap, Manor Kilbride, Saggart/Rathcoole, Newcastle , Celbridge and home

very windy and a nasty headwind from Glencree to the mast, but really scary coming down got blown from the right to the left side of the road on the descent a few times but kept out of the ditch

https://www.strava.com/activities/636212019
10-07-2016, 13:43   #43
retalivity

Flattish 50+k out from dublin - celbridge - maynooth - leixlip - lucan - back

Windy as hell

https://www.strava.com/activities/636164707
(2) thanks from:
10-07-2016, 15:21   #44
traprunner

Distance 82.9 km
Avg Speed 23.7 kph
Time 3:29:42
Elev Gain 730 m

That's by far the furthest I've done. City centre to bray via the Rock Rd, into Dalkey and up Killiney Hill. It was the first time getting up from Dalkey to Killiney Hill without stopping so I was delighted with that. On to Bray and then back via N11. Over 40k done at that stage and I was feeling like calling it a day as it started to rain. Only a few drops so decided to keep going and went out and did Howth Head and back to the city centre.

It was a target of mine to get Killiney Hill and Howth Hill in on the one spin. I wasn't intending on it today. I only planned on doing 70km. I had a killer of a head wind in every direction it seemed and a little disappointed with my average. But I'm delighted to have increased my distance by quite a bit and get both hills in.

I just noticed that Strava has some obvious differences to the Garmin.
https://www.strava.com/activities/636359498

Last edited by traprunner; 10-07-2016 at 15:26.
10-07-2016, 15:29   #45
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonp View Post
...very windy and a nasty headwind from Glencree to the mast, but really scary coming down got blown from the right to the left side of the road on the descent a few times but kept out of the ditch..
I got blown across the centre gravel on a bend on the descent on Friday. I thought I'd lost it. Scared the crap out of me!
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion