Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Did a handy 54 km this morning.. headed up to ballyedmund. Left onto main wexford road.. Took 2nd left turn for kilmuckridge.... on to Ballygarrett..courtown...headed for Ballymoney but took left turn up mount wolsey...on into Gorey. Had to walk with bike up main Street , closed off to traffic..market fair on today. Remounted at lights and headed for ballycanew..killenagh and home.24.5avg including the walk...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

112 kms this morning Greystones...Enniskerry...Stepaside...Tallaght...Blessington...Ballysmutten bridge...Sally Gap...Enniskerry...Greystones. Longest spin in a while. Weather started out beautiful then got overcast around Tallaght and rained up on the gap. Still, great day for it! Spoke to a guy at the gap from Blessington who has only been cycling since April! If he's on here, well done!

Anyone else having trouble with Strava? Uploaded to Garmin connect but it won't sync with Strava. Had to export the file and upload that way. Grr!

https://www.strava.com/activities/659711803

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Funny auld day on the bike. I was intending to do hill repeats so attacked Ticknock first off. I was motoring fairly well at first but slowly the suffering started and I felt shíte by the time I got to the top. Changed my mind and decided to go up the Gap via Enniskerry and Glencree. I just wasn't up to a steep slog. Even going up that way felt tough, a bit of a headwind didn't help. I thought this is just one of those days when I'm not feeling it, and that was a bummer as it was a lovely morning. Came up to the junction above the Armoury café and just sat on the fence with my eyes closed, soaking up some sunshine. As I was getting ready to move on a group of lads came up and I got chatting to them and seeing as I was now going the same direction we continued together. Turns out one was a Boardsie and a gent too. Down to Laragh, coffee and cake and headed back at a nice steady pace via Roundwood and Newtownmountkennedy and back the N11 and then back across kilternan and Stepaside and on to Tallaght.
    Ended up with 125km, 1700m in just over 5 hours.
    Checked the Strava and I absolutely smashed my previous best up Ticknock by nearly 2 and a half minutes so it's no bloody wonder that I was suffering.
    So a grand spin despite the rough start and Alan, if you're on here, it was great meeting you.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/659667821

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Anyone else having trouble with Strava? Uploaded to Garmin connect but it won't sync with Strava. Had to export the file and upload that way. Grr!

Ya, garmin acting the maggot. Had to export and upload the GPX

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

112 kms this morning Greystones...Enniskerry...Stepaside...Tallaght...Blessington...Ballysmutten bridge...Sally Gap...Enniskerry...Greystones. Longest spin in a while. Weather started out beautiful then got overcast around Tallaght and rained up on the gap. Still, great day for it! Spoke to a guy at the gap from Blessington who has only been cycling since April! If he's on here, well done!

Server update today for Strava, at least it's still up I guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Funny auld day on the bike. I was intending to do hill repeats so attacked Ticknock first off. I was motoring fairly well at first but slowly the suffering started and I felt shíte by the time I got to the top. Changed my mind and decided to go up the Gap via Enniskerry and Glencree. I just wasn't up to a steep slog. Even going up that way felt tough, a bit of a headwind didn't help. I thought this is just one of those days when I'm not feeling it, and that was a bummer as it was a lovely morning. Came up to the junction above the Armoury café and just sat on the fence with my eyes closed, soaking up some sunshine. As I was getting ready to move on a group of lads came up and I got chatting to them and seeing as I was now going the same direction we continued together. Turns out one was a Boardsie and a gent too. Down to Laragh, coffee and cake and headed back at a nice steady pace via Roundwood and Newtownmountkennedy and back the N11 and then back across kilternan and Stepaside and on to Tallaght.
    Ended up with 125km, 1700m in just over 5 hours.
    Checked the Strava and I absolutely smashed my previous best up Ticknock by nearly 2 and a half minutes so it's no bloody wonder that I was suffering.
    So a grand spin despite the rough start and Alan, if you're on here, it was great meeting you.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/659667821
    Just saw on flybys that we crossed paths somewhere along the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

13kms in 320metres of climbing done when my back popped. On the way to the doc now, can't stand up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

Did my first club spin this morning and well not too sure if clubs are for me. Been cycling alone or with a mate for years and often seen large groups out together doing their thing. So this morning I went along to,try out a group spin. About 15 took off on the what turned out to be 90km spin. Now I did a long spin myself yesterday and so I felt tired this morning but hung on to see if the legs would loosen up. Was surprised at the "cycling etiquette" involved in a group but understood it was there for safety purposes. However about 20kms in, the two lads in front were slowing so I decided to move up to the faster guys to see if they could pull me along as I didn't want to drift off the back. When I got up near the front, one old guy started shouting about me overtaking. Now this had been done in a safe manner looking around and keeping out of people's lines etc but he poked me in the shoulder to move back in. I thought WTF as everyone else had been swapping places in the group without any angry word. So I settled into the middle and thought F-this but stayed with them for a while longer. I got talking to some of them and they were quite friendly n the main but the older ones were keeping to themselves. When the group saw me flagging a bit as my legs got tired, they moved me up the group to help push me along which helped. After a rest stop, I felt a bit refreshed and took the lead for a while but apart from a few friendly guys and girls, the older ones were like cranky sheepdogs keeping the flock in line. Now I like cycling, like the freedom of it but I don't think I like being growled at by some old geezer just because I have the temerity to overtake him without permission, even though everyone else had done it.

Between yesterday and today, I did 168 kms and I felt it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Domane wrote: »
    .. but I don't think I like being growled at by some old geezer just because I have the temerity to overtake him without permission, even though everyone else had done it....
    When you say 'everyone else had done it' are you confusing overtaking with rollovers?

If you are in a group, and those in front of you are detaching from the main group, the general practise is to stay in position until the front group eases off again. Groups often split up on climbs but a good leader should minimise this and arrange for a regroup at the summit. It is also acceptable for one to accelerate ahead to notify the front group that there are a few off the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

When you say 'everyone else had done it' are you confusing overtaking with rollovers?

If you are in a group, and those in front of you are detaching from the main group, the general practise is to stay in position until the front group eases off again. Groups often split up on climbs but a good leader should minimise this and arrange for a regroup at the summit. It is also acceptable for one to accelerate ahead to notify the front group that there are a few off the back.

Perhaps this is another example of a group think that I know nothing about. The group had split up and I had to slow to stay behind the back guys so I thought I'd overtake to catch up with the front guys to pull me along as I was mentally as well as physically tired. Like I said I was aware of what was going on around me and overtook safely but this guy (late 50's) poked me hard in the shoulder to move back in. Now I'm in my late 40's and like to think I'm relatively mature enough to cycle correctly and safely but I thought (maybe wrongly?) that I'd be better off cycling with those whose speed I was matching instead of constantly tipping the brakes to avoid running into the guys in front of me at the back if the group?

Maybe group cycling just isn't for me as other niggles like not being able to relax when you're cycling at speed just feet away from others (and if you lose concentration you could get into a crash), and also having to brake going downhill because the guy in front is going slower. The average speed for the 90kms yesterday was 25.3kph. I've done over 100kms on my own at a higher speed so I think I'll leave the club and just do my own thing. Anti social perhaps but at least the long spin on my own won't feel like a constricted slog.

No offence meant to club riders, it's just not for me I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Not a club rider myself either, but maybe you should try a few different groups as from the few group spins I've been on the dynamic and buzz has been very different on all of them. There was a few intro to audax spins earlier in the year that were very relaxed, more loosely structured, and in my experience very enjoyable for the non-club rider. Similarly a couple of boards spins organised by bikerbhoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Yesterday, I encountered a cycling club coming the opposite way. There was two of us and we were two a breast, with nothing behind us. One of the group was riding over the centre line — the group were cycling up and over. We had to pull in to let this idiot pass us on the wrong side of the road. Even so, it was a close pass. When they all passed, I looked behind and this guy was still cycling on the wrong side of the road for absolutely no reason.

With a member/etiquette like that, this club would not be for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Maybe this discussion needs it own thread. A few of my own observations. When I started cycling I was slow and unfit and although there wasn't a club at the time I would not have joined until I was up the learning curve on group riding and fitness. When I did get to cycle with others it was always a small number (3, 4 or 5) and it was an informal group (no strict pace line but there was changing at the front) but it was done as a learning exercise. When the group numbers expanded we started an official club and anyone new to group riding were shown how it should be done safely and effectively. It was never brash or blunt but it was always clear. Saying that I have heard stern comments within the group if someone does something daft. But hopefully not to the point of putting them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Some wind out there! Really wasn't feeling it heading out but I persisted. Got chased by 7 Jack Russells at the traveller site at Darndale/Malahide Road. Persistent little buggers and needless to say I got a PB on that section. I got a puncture 750 metres from home and instead of fixing it in the drizzle and wind I decided to walk it.

Distance 46.81 km
    Avg Speed 26.4 kph
    Time 1:46:24
    Elev Gain 322 m

23 PR's so I suppose I'm happy with that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Perhaps this is another example of a group think that I know nothing about. The group had split up and I had to slow to stay behind the back guys so I thought I'd overtake to catch up with the front guys to pull me along as I was mentally as well as physically tired. Like I said I was aware of what was going on around me and overtook safely but this guy (late 50's) poked me hard in the shoulder to move back in. Now I'm in my late 40's and like to think I'm relatively mature enough to cycle correctly and safely but I thought (maybe wrongly?) that I'd be better off cycling with those whose speed I was matching instead of constantly tipping the brakes to avoid running into the guys in front of me at the back if the group?

Maybe group cycling just isn't for me as other niggles like not being able to relax when you're cycling at speed just feet away from others (and if you lose concentration you could get into a crash), and also having to brake going downhill because the guy in front is going slower. The average speed for the 90kms yesterday was 25.3kph. I've done over 100kms on my own at a higher speed so I think I'll leave the club and just do my own thing. Anti social perhaps but at least the long spin on my own won't feel like a constricted slog.

Go out with a faster group !

VCB club spins are usually 27.5-32kph (mostly 29ish)

Bit breezy alright! Got a few laps of the park in today. 41km @23.6kph, giving me a tonne up for the weekend.

https://www.strava.com/activities/660842267

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Did my first club spin this morning and well not too sure if clubs are for me. Been cycling alone or with a mate for years and often seen large groups out together doing their thing. So this morning I went along to,try out a group spin. About 15 took off on the what turned out to be 90km spin. Now I did a long spin myself yesterday and so I felt tired this morning but hung on to see if the legs would loosen up. Was surprised at the "cycling etiquette" involved in a group but understood it was there for safety purposes. However about 20kms in, the two lads in front were slowing so I decided to move up to the faster guys to see if they could pull me along as I didn't want to drift off the back. When I got up near the front, one old guy started shouting about me overtaking. Now this had been done in a safe manner looking around and keeping out of people's lines etc but he poked me in the shoulder to move back in. I thought WTF as everyone else had been swapping places in the group without any angry word. So I settled into the middle and thought F-this but stayed with them for a while longer. I got talking to some of them and they were quite friendly n the main but the older ones were keeping to themselves. When the group saw me flagging a bit as my legs got tired, they moved me up the group to help push me along which helped. After a rest stop, I felt a bit refreshed and took the lead for a while but apart from a few friendly guys and girls, the older ones were like cranky sheepdogs keeping the flock in line. Now I like cycling, like the freedom of it but I don't think I like being growled at by some old geezer just because I have the temerity to overtake him without permission, even though everyone else had done it.

Between yesterday and today, I did 168 kms and I felt it today.

To be honest, taking beginners out (who have no experience cycling in a group) on a 90km cycle doesn't sound like great planning. It's best to do a short spin first with a small group and experienced riders on the front and back orchestrating the group. Don't let it deter you however. It takes time to get used to it. Probably best to find out why you got the intemperate response from that auld fella? He should have explained what you did wrong when you stopped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

https://www.strava.com/activities/660818640

77k loop in 3h 30m out round wicklow, wind was all over the shop and got absolutely pissed on between sally gap and ballinastoe.
    From 2 months ago...
    Up to kippure via stocking lane, back via glencree/kilmolin/glencullen/barnaculia. Messing around with strava at work on fri, saw there was a segment from start of stocking lane to top of kippure that i never attempted. Set myself a goal of doing it in 1:15:00. My time today?

1:15:03
    Bollocks.

https://www.strava.com/activities/584021750

Smashed that by 3 and a half minutes, so very happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Just under a 78km spin up around north county Dublin this morning with a former category A (back in the day) cyclist. It hurt on the punchy climbs but was so worth it just to see this guy go and what is possible with hard work. Average speed was 31km/hr. Felt like I was holding him back at times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

62 mins this morning for 28.5 kms. 27.8 average, would have broken the hour only for red lights on parkagate st & the north quays.
    saw a lot of roadkill on the way in, 2 cats, a hedgehog and a lesser spotted continental(possibly goodyear) unknwon variety of bird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

^^^ On a spin last week I passed a hedgehog in the middle of the road. I decided to turn around and shoo him off the road. I nudged him very gently but he wouldn't move, ignored me, sniffing away at something on the road. Wasn't the safest place for me to be standing so I left - passed the same spot Monday evening and was kinda happy there was no evidence of squashed hedgehog.

Seven Worlds will Collide

Usual mid week spin, Kilnamanagh to blessington and straight back main road. 40km
    Avg 27.0 kph. Just missed a heavy shower out near blessington :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

hard slog home yesterday, wind doing its best to take into the middle of the road or off the bike completley, pretty banjoed by the time I got home, hello again to the fella who stopped for a quick chat at the lights on Maynooth Main Street.

29.5 km, 80 mins 22.1 average

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

First cycle into work in a few weeks and first cycle since picking up a back injury two weeks ago.

Really pleased with it - first time getting over 25kph avg speed for the distance and picked up quite a few PBs along the way!

https://www.strava.com/activities/665053755/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first time up over howth in over a year. managed to get a PR on the climb out of the village, which i'm happy enough with. 40km, 24.5 average.

Decided to try the climb from the reservoir to Glassamucky. Going around the reservoir on a road bike was, ahem, interesting. 52km in 2 and a half hours. I think I've earned some chipper...

https://www.strava.com/activities/665664635

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

P_1 wrote: »
    Decided to try the climb from the reservoir to Glassamucky. Going around the reservoir on a road bike was, ahem, interesting. 52km in 2 and a half hours. I think I've earned some chipper...

https://www.strava.com/activities/665664635

Yeah that dirt track the far side of the lake isn't really great on a road bike. Had you stayed straight where you u-turned the trail there is a bit better. Best way though if on a road bike is to not go along the lake at all. Continue up the road where you turned into the reservoir and turn left after the golf course. nice quiet country road will take you all the way around. Granted you miss cycling along beside the river/reservoir though

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Went on a lone Spin this afternoon in and around Kildare. Haven't been on the bike this week so far, legs were feeling very heavy. Had aimed to hit some Wicklow hills but decided to do some flat roads instead...

Distance - 49km
    Time - 1:42:48
    Avg speed - 28.6km/h
    Avg heart rate - 167 bpm
    Elevation - 269m

Headed for ballygarret , kilmuckridge, Blackwater, curracloe and as far as main road into Wexford town. Came back the coast road too, nice meandering rolling road along the coast. Lovely morning too, 65km Avg 25.6kph.
    Can really notice difference in average kph on the old steel frame bike , always lower than the alloy frame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Pottered about on the bike today. Did some yoga in the gym then relaxed in the jacuzzi and pool then pottered into town. Back grumbled on any incline but feeling good overall. Rest again now for a couple of days and then go again.
    Don't think I went above 25kph anywhere. I hate injuries....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement