Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-12-2018, 09:45   #5671
magicbastarder

maybe the RSA should be split. i assume a lot of their business is in running the driving tests, so it's probably a culture oriented towards cars.
maybe we need a CSA and PSA section within them - or is there one already?
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
07-12-2018, 09:56   #5672
Seth Brundle
Error: 404 Personality Not Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbastarder View Post
maybe the RSA should be split. i assume a lot of their business is in running the driving tests, so it's probably a culture oriented towards cars.
maybe we need a CSA and PSA section within them - or is there one already?
Is it that difficult to have a road safety body with actual knowledge of how to improve road safety?
Creating various new bodies won't solve the issue of ignorance.
07-12-2018, 10:07   #5673
Macy0161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Brundle View Post
Is it that difficult to have a road safety body with actual knowledge of how to improve road safety?
Creating various new bodies won't solve the issue of ignorance.
But they also have licencing and testing, which isn't the same thing really. And is leading to them being motorist focused - as seen by what they deem to be a "Road Safety Expert", when the person is really a "Car Driving Expert".
Thanks from:
07-12-2018, 10:21   #5674
Tell me how

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macy0161 View Post
Judging by the comments, it has played well with the intended audience - motorists!

As you can see from the qualifications as to what they expect of their experts, the RSA is too motorist focused to be effective, hence all the victim blaming nonsense "safety" campaigns.
Most comments on Twitter to the Tweet the RSA sent out are very negative towards the piece.
Thanks from:
07-12-2018, 10:27   #5675
magicbastarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Brundle View Post
i know, i'm conflicted about it. if you go to the RSA site, it's pretty much all about motoring on the front page. but then, most of the risk is created by motor vehicles, so maybe that *should* be their focus.

but with what (assumption alert) must be quite a significant part of their budget being made from driving tests and licences, the corporate culture in there is almost certainly massively skewed towards assuming motoring as a default.

you can see that in the communications they send out.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-12-2018, 20:42   #5676
LeoD

Quote:
but with what (assumption alert) must be quite a significant part of their budget being made from driving tests and licences, the corporate culture in there is almost certainly massively skewed towards assuming motoring as a default.
In 2016, the RSA had a total income of just over €73m - €70m came from driver testing, vehicle testing (private and commercial) and driver license fees - the remainder came from things like digital tachographs, driving instructor approval, sponsorship & dangerous goods carriage fees. They are a motoring organisation, there to serve the motor industry. When it comes to road safety, they are a waste of space. Actually, they are worse than a waste of space because all they do is perpetuate the myth that motor traffic is hard done by and non-motorised traffic - ie: foot and cycle - are a nuisance on the road that needs to be tolerated.
07-12-2018, 21:42   #5677
tomasrojo

Their funding model and their attitude bring to mind the Upton Sinclair quote: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

Breaking up the RSA: certainly, the campaigning duties and the statistical analysis duties should belong to completely separate bodies. Campaigners, especially when they're "saving lives", have the wrong mindset to do impartial analysis.
(3) thanks from:
07-12-2018, 22:35   #5678
Corca Baiscinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Username Guidelines View Post
Screw it, I've been cycling in and out of Dublin for 10-ish years, I can most certainly use anecdotal crap to reword the article. Hell, most of it I didn't even have to change, just swap around a bit.
Brilliant! Your NUJ card is in the post +Institute of Advanced debunking myths about drivers card!
07-12-2018, 23:36   #5679
Enfilade

Well thanks to the RSA we'd be well prepared if a yellow vest movement were ever to break out here now wouldn't we
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-12-2018, 08:01   #5680
tomasrojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfilade View Post
Well thanks to the RSA we'd be well prepared if a yellow vest movement were ever to break out here now wouldn't we
Funny!

I was going to post something in the Hi-viz thread, but it's quite an exhausting place to be these days. It wasn't as snappy as your post.
(3) thanks from:
08-12-2018, 10:52   #5682
Enfilade

Unlike the RSA "expert" that fella was willing to sign his name to what he'd written. Fair play to him.
(3) thanks from:
08-12-2018, 11:44   #5683
Duckjob

Excellent letter whose author, unlike the "RSA Expert", demonstrates some actual understanding of road safety.

Last edited by Duckjob; 08-12-2018 at 11:48.
08-12-2018, 12:12   #5684
Duckjob

Quote:
what's really head scratching is that a head of communications should be good at understanding what will and won't play well with an audience.
that article is so ham-fisted and counterproductive that the talk about whether they're qualified to talk on road safety surely must be eclipsed by the fact that they don't seem qualified to do their own job.
it's the sort of article that you expect the main role of the head of communications would have in its publication would be to prevent its publication.
QFT.

If this article has achieved anything, it has exposed mind-boggling incompetence not only on the part of the person who authored that "piece", but also on the part of the organisation as a whole.

When you have a state body set up with a mission to making the roads safer for all, it's a bad enough reflection on them to think that the roads would be no more dangerous if they were disbanded.

It's an even worse reflection on them to think that the roads would actually be safer were they no longer around to inject their self-branded "expertise" into the national conscience.
08-12-2018, 22:22   #5685
Muahahaha

The article on the RSA Twitter account has a fair old backlash to it in the comments below. Hopefully between that and the letter to the Indo the RSA expert might learn something from their misguided article.

In other news WTF is this ???

https://twitter.com/DCCTraffic/statu...22202312843269

Its like they said they would protect the cycle lane but still allow for cars and delivery vans to park up in it. Good jesus, talk about a half baked solution

Last edited by Muahahaha; 08-12-2018 at 22:29.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion