Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Dublin OSI Street Map, 5th Popular Edition, 1964

11417_bm8lp5v50h5tonnh.jpeg

You can see that by 1964 Dublin had already experienced significant suburban growth and development, with most of the area inside the present M50 motorway developed for housing, with some notable big gaps in the North city around Glasnevin/Whitehall/Drumcondra/Beaumont - on religious owned lands that would subsequently be developed for infill housing over the following 30 years or so.

The large-scale social housing schemes of Crumlin, Finglas, Walkinstown and Ballyfermot are all clearly visible. Palmerstown in West Dublin has been partly developed but nearby Castleknock remains an undeveloped rural village. Tallaght was also a small rural village in 1964.

Tallaght in 1975/76, part of the OSI 10th Popular Edition Dublin Street map.

Apologies for the quality as I took this from an original folded map with sellotape to protect the creases. Part of my extensive map collection. :)

11417_gx8haic4unmak4sf.jpeg

As you can see, large scale housing development has already taken place, largely around the Bolbrook/Oldbawn area, Springfield, Belgard Heights, Firhouse and the first phases of the huge Kilnamanagh estate. Cookstown industrial estate pretty much complete. No bypass as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Three proposed borders in the north east of Ireland from 1914 - at a time when "Ulster" was looking to be excluded from Home Rule.

The third one became the official border of the Irish Free State in 1922, and remained so when the Boundary Commission failed to offer an alternative.

1. WF Bailey (Estates Commissioners Office)

"Taking WF Bailey first, his was the most disruptive scheme and it paid the least heed to existing administrative boundaries. Instead, Bailey relied on physical geography to craft a more visible border. In Fermanagh, Bailey cut straight through both of the county’s parliamentary divisions, running his boundary line directly up the middle of the Erne waterways system. Of the three schemes, Bailey’s was the only one in which his accompanying notes made no acknowledgement to the scheme’s temporary nature. Bailey used physical geography to create a visible and less permeable boundary line further suggesting he had a permanent settlement in mind."

2. Sir Henry Robinson (Vice-President of the Irish Local Government Board)

image.jpg

"By far the most thorough of the three exclusion schemes was that devised by Sir Henry Robinson. In drawing his boundary line, Robinson took local government boundaries as his operational unit: a method his Undersecretary would later dismiss as unworkable. Robinson had drawn up the local authority areas for the Local Government Act in 1898 and appears to have been proud of the administrative subunits he had designed at that time.

The Robinson scheme proposed the exclusion of 26.85 percent of the population of Ireland and 28.58 percent of Ireland’s land by valuation. Robinson’s exclusion zone was two-thirds Protestant and one-third Catholic. Of the three, Robinson’s boundary line was the only one which explicitly considered infrastructure like road and rail connections."

3. Sir James Dougherty (Undersecretary to the The Chief Secretary for Ireland)

"The third and final scheme to be submitted was that of Undersecretary Dougherty, the highest-ranking civil servant in Ireland and, as a native of Garvagh in the east of Co Derry, the only Ulsterman among the three men consulted. Dougherty first wrote on May 7th explaining that it would be “a difficult, if not impossible job to construct these pens” and that “the policy of exclusion, whatever plan may be adopted, bristles with difficulties and … I do not see how they are to be surmounted.”

Only with the inauguration of the Irish Free State in December 1922 did the boundary line officially become an international border. Its form remained fluid until the collapse of the Boundary Commission three years later, confirming Dougherty’s 1914 line as the Border ever since."

Full article: https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/plotting-partition-the-other-border-options-that-might-have-changed-irish-history-1.4556046

Robinson would have really put the Inis in Inishowen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Three proposed borders in the north east of Ireland from 1914 - at a time when "Ulster" was looking to be excluded from Home Rule.

The first two proposals there would have fecked up those in in "Moving to Northern Ireland" thread who wanted the cheap houses near Newry.

Blanchardstown and Castleknock in 1975/76, again part of the OSI Dublin Street Map, 10th Popular Edition.

11417_xhlwp19k0ptnrswr.jpeg

You can see here that most the area between Blanchardstown village and Coolmine has already been developed for housing - estates such as Roselawn, Coolmine, Glenville etc were all developed in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Corduff roads are in place with housing development just beginning.

Castleknock is much less developed with Deerpark estate complete and half of the Georgian Village built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Blanchardstown and Castleknock in 1975/76, again part of the OSI Dublin Street Map, 10th Popular Edition.

11417_xhlwp19k0ptnrswr.jpeg

You can see here that most the area between Blanchardstown village and Coolmine has already been developed for housing - estates such as Roselawn, Coolmine, Glenville etc were all developed in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Corduff roads are in place with housing development just beginning.

Castleknock is much less developed with Deerpark estate complete and half of the Georgian Village built.

Any chance you could post a pic of Clondalkin from that map. I think building had just started on Neilstown around 1975/76 but I'd be curious to see the map.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You can see here that most the area between Blanchardstown village and Coolmine has already been developed for housing - estates such as Roselawn, Coolmine, Glenville etc were all developed in the late 1960s and early 1970s.
    at a guess, delwood was built in 75 - you can see delwood road has been built and named by this point, but it's obviously unclear if the houses whose address is delwood road had been.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The third one became the official border of the Irish Free State in 1922, and remained so when the Boundary Commission failed to offer an alternative.
    I assume counties existed as they do back then, bizzare to think that there was a proposal to split Donegal and Down.

Little tangent, but when were counties formed/established? Any maps of any breakdown of more/less thant 32 counties?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I assume counties existed as they do back then, bizzare to think that there was a proposal to split Donegal and Down.

Little tangent, but when were counties formed/established? Any maps of any breakdown of more/less thant 32 counties?

They were shired/formed over centuries. Wicklow being the last*, carved out of Dublin in 1607.

Roscommon was the first county in Connacht fully shired, which makes sense, as you'd want to hem that shower in.

Borders ever so slightly shifted at various times, like say how Ballaghadereen Co Mayo is now in Roscommon etc.

There's also counties such as Desmond and Coleraine that are no longer with us.

And also, but for a quirk of a housing estate having been built, South Dublin County was to be called Belgard. Fingal, Belgard and Rathdown would have been preferable alright.

*The historical counties of course, not the Dublin split in 1994. Tipperary could technically count here I suppose after the north and south ridings were finally combined in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,909 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

As said above, county borders have changed over the years. 1898 saw significant changes to multiple counties.

Part of Drogheda that was in Meath was transferred to Louth in 1977. Of course, Drogheda has since expanded further southward since, and crosses into Meath again now.

And the county “Dublin” no officially longer exists, as it is now Dublin City, Fingal, South Dublin and Dún Laoghaire–Rathdown.

Some of the above proposals did cut through county lines at the time. But remember, they weren’t trying to create an international border back then. It was an exercise in internal sub-division within the United Kingdom. So the idea that counties would be split wasn’t a big deal.

As it happens, the Government of Ireland Act 1920 that created partition did use the traditional counties to define Northern Ireland, and by default “Southern Ireland”

“Northern Ireland shall consist of the parliamentary counties of Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Londonderry and Tyrone, and the parliamentary boroughs of Belfast and Londonderry, and Southern Ireland shall consist of so much of Ireland as is not comprised within the said parliamentary counties and boroughs.”

And this remained in 1922 with the creation of the Free State.

• Advertisement

As it happens, the Government of Ireland Act 1920 that created partition did use the traditional counties to define Northern Ireland, and by default “Southern Ireland”

“Northern Ireland shall consist of the parliamentary counties of Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Londonderry and Tyrone, and the parliamentary boroughs of Belfast and Londonderry, and Southern Ireland shall consist of so much of Ireland as is not comprised within the said parliamentary counties and boroughs.”

And this remained in 1922 with the creation of the Free State.

De Valera tried to argue that all the seas around the North were part of the Free State as the wording of the act was only concerned with the land portion of the counties and boroughs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Another old map

Palaeogeographical-model-of-northwestern-South-America-during-the-Middle-Miocene-some-14.jpg

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Palaeogeographical-model-of-northwestern-South-America-during-the-Middle-Miocene-some-14_fig6_254893768
    Palaeogeographical model of northwestern South America during the Middle Miocene (some 14 Ma ago). Mountain ranges, shorelines and river courses are conjectural. Left panel represents episodes of base level highstand with maximum marine influence into the Llanos Basin. Right panel represents the system during eustatic lowstands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

They decided they wanted Derry, not sure on what basis, and so its "area" ended up in NI, including Bundrana, Muff etc. Likewise Armagh and Down were split by moving the Newry "area". At this time sub county units known as Rural districts did a lot of work and these were used.The rural districts were often named after towns and not always towns in the same county, often the postal address followed a similar pattern. In relation to the border the Clones No 2 district in south-east Fermanagh and the Castleblayney no 2 area in South Armagh were prime candidates for remaining in independent Ireland.

click to zoom

Ireland1898Administrative.png

Any chance you could post a pic of Clondalkin from that map. I think building had just started on Neilstown around 1975/76 but I'd be curious to see the map.

Sure thing....

11417_bfkk2yfn2mxve0y2.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

Tallaght in 1975/76, part of the OSI 10th Popular Edition Dublin Street map.

Apologies for the quality as I took this from an original folded map with sellotape to protect the creases. Part of my extensive map collection. :)

11417_gx8haic4unmak4sf.jpeg

As you can see, large scale housing development has already taken place, largely around the Bolbrook/Oldbawn area, Springfield, Belgard Heights, Firhouse and the first phases of the huge Kilnamanagh estate. Cookstown industrial estate pretty much complete. No bypass as of yet.

Great map, certainly filled in since! I now realise when my "ma" said in 1974 when she moved from town to Tallaght there was nothing there and suffered mentally as a result for a while.

The n81 would be the "by pass" at the time, it was defintely extended an rerouted over the years alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Sure thing....

11417_bfkk2yfn2mxve0y2.jpeg

Thanks for that. I see that there was almost no housing north of the railway at that stage. That greenfield area would now have a population of over 15,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Mullinabreena

Some really interesting maps on https://www.heritagemaps.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

They decided they wanted Derry, not sure on what basis

The Derry Walls and the Catholic rent-payers I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,973 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

They decided they wanted Derry, not sure on what basis,

I say the port of Derry would have been a big decision last stop in the northern area before the Americas

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Olympus Mons volcano on Mars compared to the state of Arizona:

30km3toxl3371.jpg

• Advertisement

That's terrifyingly large.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

for reference, AZ is ~3.5 times the size of ireland

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

it is the gironde estuary. What am I missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭thomil

It isn't, the Gironde is significantly farther north. That "bay" looks like it stretches inland beyond Mont de Marsan...

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

thomil wrote: »
    It isn't, the Gironde is significantly farther north. That "bay" looks like it stretches inland beyond Mont de Marsan...

you're right, it isn't the gironde. No idea what it is so, i can't see it on google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

it is the gironde estuary. What am I missing?

No that's further north and on the map.

Did a muster fan nuke biarritz ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,909 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Most other comparisons, apart from not giving France an inexplicape new bay, seem to say Olympus Mons isn't quite as big as that one claims.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfMD-SQpt_V_E_8DucdaXkdo1iITkJGpxe2w3CVh-Xk6uIaNHsdWXq8PL94qojoiaqwP8&usqp=CAU

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQw9NGYEDG_RsP72mVkwlgTCyHHAEF6StNI-MKtcigG-2400MipgcDsJzyCkmDZSLQb1R4&usqp=CAU

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

That's terrifyingly large.

Just the 21 km tall too :eek:

• Advertisement

Just the 21 km tall too :eek:

and an easy stroll to the top.

Advertisement