Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does multiculturalism ruin Santa?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Lux23 wrote: »
    My partner's personal trainer is a Christian of some kind* and he doesn't do Santa, the Tooth Fairy or even celebrate birthdays with his kids. I just think he's tight, to be honest.

Whatever you do, don't tell your partner that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Whatever you do, don't tell your partner that.

I'm always telling him. Or was that a joke that went over my head?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I'm always telling him. Or was that a joke that went over my head?

Not a very good joke but a joke nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

What a thread. A simple one word answer to the OP's question (hint: it's No) yet before you can say 'bloody foreigners' you get people stomping in, pitchforks at the ready, telling everyone loudly and proudly that they're not changing their traditions and if anyone doesn't like it they can go back to where they came from.

Except of course, literally no one is actually forcing them to change their ways.

Exactly, I don't know why people think there's a "war on Christmas". The odd shop in America might change from Merry Christmas to Happy Holidays because a team of accountants and marketing people have worked out it will make them slightly more money and everyone loses their shít.
    I’m a primary school teacher and I make sure our school has a crib in the most prominent place in the building. I’m sure this offends many but it’s a Catholic school so tough ****.
    It offends no one, no need to pretend you're making a stand against some oppressors that don't exist.

"But they want to ban Fairytail of New York". There is no "they" and some idiot making a comment to get noticed is meaningless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,311 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I’m a primary school teacher and I make sure our school has a crib in the most prominent place in the building. I’m sure this offends many but it’s a Catholic school so tough ****.

It's a catholic school. Why would anyone complain? It'd be like someone complaining a menorah is in a jewish school.

It'd be different in a completely secular school. but i see no reason why it couldn't be there, along with a tree, if they do similar gestures for other religions too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I quite like cribs, and I would consider myself a secularist. I hate when they put the Baby Jesus in early though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,311 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I quite like cribs, and I would consider myself a secularist. I hate when they put the Baby Jesus in early though.

I'm an atheist and it annoyed the hell of of me. :D

If you're going to do something, do it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Myself and the brother threw together a crib years back with various figures we found around the house, I can't remember who exactly we had, but I think he-man was joseph, mary was a nun who flashed her boobs when you squeezed her and they had an adorable little baby gonzo.......at the appropriate time of course, otherwise it's a mockery!

Very festive so it was:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,886 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Myself and the brother threw together a crib years back with various figures we found around the house, I can't remember who exactly we had, but I think he-man was joseph, mary was a nun who flashed her boobs when you squeezed her and they had an adorable little baby gonzo.......at the appropriate time of course, otherwise it's a mockery!

You should sell these

• Registered Users Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭Odhinn

My partner's personal trainer is a Christian of some kind* and he doesn't do Santa, the Tooth Fairy or even celebrate birthdays with his kids. I just think he's tight, to be honest.

*Not a Jehovah's Witness, which I hear don't believe in anything fun or lifesaving.

Probably an evangelical - though he could be a lesser spotted seventh day adventist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

He was born in the summer or autumn so everyone puts him in early (or late) when you think about it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    He was born in the summer or autumn so everyone puts him in early (or late) when you think about it :pac:

how do you know when he was born?

RayCun wrote: »
    how do you know when he was born?

There is one thing we do know & that it wasn't a winter birth.Lambing season suggests Spring.

Then you have science
    Scholars also debate the month of Jesus' birth. In 2008, astronomer Dave Reneke argued that Jesus was born in the summer. The Star of Bethlehem, Reneke told New Scientist, may have been Venus and Jupiter coming together to form a bright light in the sky. Using computer models, Reneke determined that this rare event occurred on June 17, in the year 2 B.C.

Or
    Other researchers have claimed that a similar conjunction, one between Saturn and Jupiter, occurred in October of 7 B.C., making Jesus an autumn baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

German cartoonist Thomas Nast came up with the fat man in a red suit. I think Coca Cola were the first to use his illustrations.

Nast was also famous for his negative depictions of the Irish. The toothless ape in a tattered suit pulling off a clay pipe and swigging from a bottle of whiskey.

A regular contributor to Punch magazine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There is one thing we do know & that it wasn't a winter birth.Lambing season suggests Spring.

how do you know he was born during lambing season?
    Scholars also debate the month of Jesus' birth. In 2008, astronomer Dave Reneke argued that Jesus was born in the summer. The Star of Bethlehem, Reneke told New Scientist, may have been Venus and Jupiter coming together to form a bright light in the sky. Using computer models, Reneke determined that this rare event occurred on June 17, in the year 2 B.C.
    Other researchers have claimed that a similar conjunction, one between Saturn and Jupiter, occurred in October of 7 B.C., making Jesus an autumn baby.

How do you know there was a bright star in the sky when Jesus was born?

There was a Mars/Jupiter conjunction this year, did you notice how spectacular it was? Do you remember the crowds that stayed up all night to watch the last Saturn/Jupiter conjunction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

I dont know about Santa, but there are no nativity plays or nativity crib displays in my daughters school anymore.

Ah yes, 2 persons might be offended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Then you have science

Or

The article on his own website seems more invested in the mythology than the science. He gives a date of 7BC not 2BC

RayCun wrote:
    how do you know he was born during lambing season?

The Bible tells you so. Shepherds & lambs =lambing season = spring.
    RayCun wrote:
    How do you know there was a bright star in the sky when Jesus was born?

Again Bible tells you about the bright star.

Then you have science

Or

Since when is June lambing season?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

topper75 wrote: »
    Lets's weigh it up then.

A. Our kids get a consumerist crazyfest with any amount of expensive toys and literally boxes of chocalate and two weeks off school.

B. The other shower get what?... a few sesame seed snack bars for finishing their Eid starvation period or something...

Can't see anything but one-way traffic on this.

Our kids and their kids. Us and them.

Lovely.

• Advertisement

The article on his own website seems more invested in the mythology than the science. He gives a date of 7BC not 2BC

No one knows for sure what year Jesus was born. Most agree that it our calendar is wrong by a few years. 5 or 6 years I think

No one knows for sure what year Jesus was born. Most agree that it our calendar is wrong by a few years. 5 or 6 years I think

the article you linked to is from 2009. he seems to have changed his mind since.

Since when is June lambing season?

You'd still have lambs & shepherd's in June but not in December

You'd still have lambs & shepherd's in June but not in December

you know it is all a load of nonsense, dont you?

you know it is all a load of nonsense, dont you?

I believe in Santa quicker than God but if we are talking about Jesus then we can only go on what the Bible says. If you want to talk about spiderman then we can only go on the comic books.

I believe in Santa quicker than God but if we are talking about Jesus then we can only go on what the Bible says. If you want to talk about spiderman then we can only go on the comic books.

which is kinda the problem. Even at that they dont agree about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Yeah me too. A crib keeps the house civillised and signals to 'heathens' to behave themselves.

What is the deal with those Maji lads though. You put them in the day the stuff goes back in the attic?!:confused:

German cartoonist Thomas Nast came up with the fat man in a red suit. I think Coca Cola were the first to use his illustrations.

Nast was also famous for his negative depictions of the Irish. The toothless ape in a tattered suit pulling off a clay pipe and swigging from a bottle of whiskey.

A regular contributor to Punch magazine.

Ah so that is why I'm still waiting for my Scalectrix decades later. Santa's creator hated the Irish, ergo...
    Nothing to do with the ould lad being on the scratcher after all.

What system did they use before Jesus?

The people in 6BC wouldn't know what 6BC was.

• Advertisement

topper75 wrote:
    What system did they use before Jesus?

The bc system didn't come in till around 400ad believe it or not. This is why the year of his birth is almost certainly wrong

Advertisement