Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does multiculturalism ruin Santa?

Options
  • 09-12-2018 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

I wasn't sure how to word the title but the cheapskate Santa thread reminded me of something I've thought about in the past. When I was a kid, diversity wasn't a thing. We were all white, Irish and apart from one Protestant kid in the class, Catholic. So we all had the same belief about Santa. Nowadays there is a lot of diversity, which means there will be kids in the class for whom Santa isn't a thing. Does this cause any problems? Do they tell the other kids that Santa isn't real? Do they get upset that they don't get presents?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

Multiculturalism ate my hamster

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Well it's our cultural tradition to have Santa in this country so immigrants should get onboard and imbrace it. I'm sure many do.

Any adult who spoils Santa for political or cultural point scoring is a piece of sh1t

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Moghead wrote: »
    Multiculturalism ate my hamster

It turned mine into a jihadi. He's now enforcing sharia law in the spare bedroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Just tell your kids that Santa hates the other cultures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You'll find Christmas and Santa now transcends religion. I have friends from many religions who all do Santa and Christmas as a social event.

You'll find many Irish, who don't believe in any religion, do the whole Santa thing too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭John Sacrimoni

I dont know about Santa, but there are no nativity plays or nativity crib displays in my daughters school anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Political Wall Map

You spelt "everything" wrong. The title should say... multiculturalism ruins everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

You'll find Christmas and Santa now transcends religion. I have friends from many religions who all do Santa and Christmas as a social event.

You'll find many Irish, who don't believe in any religion, do the whole Santa thing too.
    That's more tradition though. There's plenty of people who don't go to mass but still have the church wedding, christening etc

I dont know about Santa, but there are no nativity plays or nativity crib displays in my daughters school anymore.

Is it a Catholic school?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,185 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

What does Santa have to do with catholicism?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Isn't Santa a foreign tradition that we got through multiculturalism?

I'm referring to nativity plays, not santa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    That's more tradition though. There's plenty of people who don't go to mass but still have the church wedding, christening etc

I didn't say otherwise, and many people new to the country are embracing that tradition.

McGaggs wrote: »

That's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,185 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Moghead wrote: »
    I'm referring to nativity plays, not santa

Exactly. So what makes you think i was referring to your post?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Santa is a purely commercial creation. Nothing to do with any religion.

You don't even have to go that far back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My son has been in a mixed race school since he was 4, he has friends from all backgrounds and he still believes in Santa. He's 9. Most of the non Irish and non Christian families here do Santa including us!

Exactly. So what makes you think i was referring to your post?

Sorry I thought you were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My kids school did a video on Christmas with the junior infants. My kid know Santa's not real and stayed quiet.
    Another kid got edited out of the video. Told the interviewer santa wasn't real. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Sirius Boner

Unfortunately, yes....
    as a member of the parents committee I see that some children are telling the truth about santa...and their parents are onboard with this behaviour.....
    btw it's not Muslims either before anyone starts shouting from the rooftops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭John Sacrimoni

You spelt "everything" wrong. The title should say... multiculturalism ruins everything

Well the name of the school is St Kevins so im assuming it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I wasn't sure how to word the title but the cheapskate Santa thread reminded me of something I've thought about in the past. When I was a kid, diversity wasn't a thing. We were all white, Irish and apart from one Protestant kid in the class, Catholic. So we all had the same belief about Santa. Nowadays there is a lot of diversity, which means there will be kids in the class for whom Santa isn't a thing. Does this cause any problems? Do they tell the other kids that Santa isn't real? Do they get upset that they don't get presents?

I was raised a Jehoavah's Witness. We were explicitly forbidden from having Santa on Christmas so we knew the reality of it. I didn't ever say anything to anyone else becuase I wasn't a prick. I probably am now, though.

PS Knock knock... Who's there?... Me, motherfcuker.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The Irish in general are a la carte Catholics these days I think. It's realistically something we tick on a box on the census for identity purposes in a lot of cases. Somewhat hypocritical IMO but sure look.

He gave birth to our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

I'm white Irish and was raised a Catholic. Some other white irish Catholic kid told all my class there is no Santa in 2nd class.

No matter what their background is, there will always be some smartarse who will try and ruin it for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Councils in England tried to be pc about Christmas and Santa when doing public displays and decorations for fear of offending other nationalities who were actually offended by what the council did and how they were ruining tradition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Other aspects expand and enrich the Santa story, like Zwarte Piet :

Sinterklaas_zwarte_piet.jpg

Other aspects expand and enrich the Santa story, like Zwarte Piet :

Sinterklaas_zwarte_piet.jpg

We could have a jackeen in a shiny tracksuit, Junkie Jodie

• Registered Users Posts: 23,504 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Charmeleon

McGaggs wrote: »

No, you’re thinking of cultural diffusion. That is when customs and traditions are adopted within a culture. Multi-culturalism means separate cultures are not encouraged to integrate or develop a unitary identity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I've never heard this happen nor would I expect it to happen. Far more likely to be a bold and meany 'native' kid in their class saying it to them.

Advertisement