Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs being stolen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I had my dog at the vet on Wednesday and literally every person who arrived or left while I was there bar one had a brand new puppy. I said it to the vet and he said he's never seen anything like it, that it's been constant since May, pretty much. He also said he's never seen so many puppies in such poor condition. He said it's clear the people buying them mean well but it's incredibly frustrating to see the fuelling of the puppy mill and theft rings literally in motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

tk123 wrote: »
    2 retrievers stolen in Clontarf yesterday but they got them back a few hours later, reports of vans driving around the Marino area too. I think it’s more unattended dogs but just be aware when you’re walking eg if you think you’re being followed, don’t let your dog off lead if you can’t recall it, be wary of strangers striking up conversation to distract you etc etc

Omg scary I do let mine off in the park and he has good recall always sticks within eye site of me but I don’t think I wanna let him off after this bit scary

The scariest thing is reading about them being sold into dog fighting rings that just breaks my heart I know it’s horrible but that’s the worst of the worst fate for any dog

• Registered Users Posts: 28,521 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Youd want to be a complete moron to buy a dog for what they're asking, ive never paid for a dog ive always got a pup off an unwanted litter or from the pound, we need stricter breeding laws in this country to stop the abuse of animals by these dirty scumbags

That's the real problem - they wouldn't be stealing them if there wasn't a very active buyers market.
    DellyBelly wrote: »
    Have Pavee point come out to condemn this.. They've been very quiet on the whole thing despite it getting so much publicity

Have the settled community leaders come out to condemn the purchase of dogs from dodgy (not doggy) sources that fuels this whole market? They've been very quite on the whole thing despite it getting so much publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,027 ✭✭✭✭tk123

biggebruv wrote: »
    Omg scary I do let mine off in the park and he has good recall always sticks within eye site of me but I don’t think I wanna let him off after this bit scary

The scariest thing is reading about them being sold into dog fighting rings that just breaks my heart I know it’s horrible but that’s the worst of the worst fate for any dog

I wouldn't let my guy out of my sight either. I even put him on a Flexi lead when I let him in the river in case he sniffs something and deices to swim over the other side and jump out lol! Bar Dubl07's case, any case I've seen is dogs who are out in gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭emmaro

Maybe a silly question, but is it still safe to leave dogs inside your house alone? Are they just looking for easy access in gardens?

I am getting worried. I have seen reports of lots of dogs stolen in my area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,878 ✭✭✭✭anewme

My God, this is crazy. every other post I see on fb is about a missing dog. Just saw a girl post that her 3 legged cross breed was in the middle of being taken when she caught them. A 3 legged dog isnt even safe FFS! The dogs head was soaking so she reckons they threw water on him to distract him and get the lead on him. The person taking him claimed he was actually leaving him back....

I saw that. She was very lucky and he had a lucky escape he would have had a bad end as he was not of much value.

People need to be vigilent and not allow their dogs out in their own front garden or unattended at all.

emmaro wrote: »
    Maybe a silly question, but is it still safe to leave dogs inside your house alone? Are they just looking for easy access in gardens?

Easy Access.

You have seen reports though of dogs being stolen from Kennels on their own property but mainly if they are in a large barn, like Daisy and her puppies that time.

Also many reports of tresspassers in NI that are very brazen and rural people with backyards etc are a huge risk.

All you can do is keep your dog as safe as possible, so if he/she is indoors and you have to go out, that is the best you can do.

I saw a post from UK, where they stole 3 dogs belong to a widow (she is heartbroken). She had left her dog in Kennels because she was going away, so that is another risk.

Cant leave your dogs anywhere and the sooner the better this is tackled for the Organised Crime Ring that it is. It is more lucrative than the Drugs business and needs tackling in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

emmaro wrote: »

I would hazard a guess that as the number of dogs being left outside (as people become more aware of the dangers) dries up and if the price of dogs continues to be so exaggerated there may well become an issue with houses being broken into for a dog.
    The prices dogs are going for now is more than most burglars would get from items they would steal from the average house.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭emmaro

These people are absolutely sick. Just the thought of the poor owners and dogs is terrible.

I am scared of when I have to return to work and leave my dog alone. For the last few months it's only been for 20 minutes to go shopping.

Ms2011 wrote: »
    I would hazard a guess that as the number of dogs being left outside (as people become more aware of the dangers) dries up and if the price of dogs continues to be so exaggerated there may well become an issue with houses being broken into for a dog.
    The prices dogs are going for now is more than most burglars would get from items they would steal from the average house.

That could be the way it goes and that is why the Gardai need to get the ringleaders and big players here (they are well aware).

Woman issued a warning yesterday that two people knocked on her door pretending to be dog wardens (she knew right well they were not) and asking if she had any dogs and what breeds they were. She told them to f off her property, but they clearly trying to gather info for future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

anewme wrote: »
    This is an epidemic.

The seven stolen puppies could fetch up to 2000 each stg.

This is serious organised crime. If you were caught with 15000 worth of drugs, youd be put in jail. There is no penalties for stealing dogs.

All that's said is sure I bought him off a man in a car.if you are following the case of Topsey and Turvey, one was found but not the other- the person who had one knows right well what happened to the other- yet no arrests were made.

People as well, selfish are paying huge money and not caring about the origin of their dog are fuelling this. Dogs stolen to be used as illegal breeding machines because my child wants a maltipoo.

The laws need to be changed with the onus on the person with the dog to prove they came by it legally. Also, better animal laws to protect animals and their owners.

The heartbreaking photo of the little cocker spaniel found (Garda Siochana Facebook Page) has been shared over 120,000 times. This shows that people are concerned about this topic and the Govt need to take action.

Also, there needs to be an acknowledgement of who is stealing the dogs instead of hiding behind political correctness. While puppy farms are a huge issue in this country, the people going around stealing dogs from homes, drones in gardens, heading to UK on the ferry, are not puppy farmers.

You seem to know more about it than most and you are quite articulate, do you think you could write a template email for us to send to our TDs to try to lobby for legislation to be passed in regard to this?

If I caught someone trying to steal my dog, I would be facing charges for murder shortly afterwards.

You seem to know more about it than most and you are quite articulate, do you think you could write a template email for us to send to our TDs to try to lobby for legislation to be passed in regard to this?

If I caught someone trying to steal my dog, I would be facing charges for murder shortly afterwards.

Leave it with me. I did spot a template on one of the Animal Rescue Pages so will look at amending it. I've followed this topic since the start of the pandemic and with a bit of detective work, it is very easy to find out and track the heart of this and where the issues arise. So it is clear that the Gardaí know right well who the ringleaders are and how they operate. This is a cruel and heartless crime and the legislation does not reflect the devastation.

Many people love their dogs so much, it will only be a matter of time before a situation similar to what happened to the trespasser in Mayo in October 2004 arises.

Leave it with me. I did spot a template on one of the Animal Rescue Pages so will look at amending it. I've followed this topic since the start of the pandemic and with a bit of detective work, it is very easy to find out and track the heart of this and where the issues arise. So it is clear that the Gardaí know right well who the ringleaders are and how they operate. This is a cruel and heartless crime and the legislation does not reflect the devastation.

Many people love their dogs so much, it will only be a matter of time before a situation similar to what happened to the trespasser in Mayo in October 2004 arises.

Grand. Let me know when you've got up something together. I have experience drafting legal/policy documents so I can give it a look over after you've written it if you would like.

Regarding your last point, you are probably correct. Sometimes something like that has to happen as deterrence. Sometimes the law isn't fast enough to deliver justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

If people stopped buying dogs from pond rats the demand would stop and so would the thefts.
    Until then where there is demand there will be supply

• Registered Users Posts: 13,049 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

If people stopped buying dogs from pond rats the demand would stop and so would the thefts.

Yes and when people interrupt the pond rats in the act of stealing, and if they feel safe to do so, get photos of the pond rats, photos of their vehicles etc etc and bombard law enforcement with this evidence.
    I don't know if it's legal to post pictures of suspects online but if it was, I'd say do that too.
    Report anything suspicious to the local text alert and note down any suspicious looking vehicle's number plate details.
    Keep in touch with your neighbours, get everyone to keep an eye out. Tell your neighbours to keep you in the loop if they see anyone hanging around your property and vice versa.
    These people don't have a visibility cloak.

To thine own self be true

Yes, and if we lobby our TDs to pass legislation to combat this, the government will presumably communicate guidelines to Irish citizens and install regulations for the purchase of dogs.

Yes, and if we lobby our TDs to pass legislation to combat this, the government will presumably communicate guidelines to Irish citizens and install regulations for the purchase of dogs.

Or the good people could use a bit of common sense and stop paying ridiculous prices for dogs and stop creating a boom for pond rats to cash in on.
    600 euro for a collie pup that a farmer couldn’t give away last year.They need their heads checked.
    And as for these new “breeds”.a sought after mongrel is all they are.cockapoo.ffs.
    All the time the pounds busting with good healthy dogs in need of a home but people need to be seen with the latest trend instead.
    Fools and their money are easily parted and the country is full of vermin who are great at doing the parting at other people’s expense

Yes and when people interrupt the pond rats in the act of stealing, and if they feel safe to do so, get photos of the pond rats, photos of their vehicles etc etc and bombard law enforcement with this evidence.
    I don't know if it's legal to post pictures of suspects online but if it was, I'd say do that too.
    Report anything suspicious to the local text alert and note down any suspicious looking vehicle's number plate details.
    Keep in touch with your neighbours, get everyone to keep an eye out. Tell your neighbours to keep you in the loop if they see anyone hanging around your property and vice versa.
    These people don't have a visibility cloak.

This is definitely the key. Once they know someone is onto them they move onto a more naieve target. If enough people were aware of them, they'd run out of a lot of road.

I spotted a dodgy vehicle during the week and up it went onto the Community Page.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,049 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

This is definitely the key. Once they know someone is onto them they move onto a more naieve target. If enough people were aware of them, they'd run out of a lot of road.

I spotted a dodgy vehicle during the week and up it went onto the Community Page.

Shared information is key.
    Local Text Alerts are very good, use them if available.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Or the good people could use a bit of common sense and stop paying ridiculous prices for dogs and stop creating a boom for pond rats to cash in on.
    600 euro for a collie pup that a farmer couldn’t give away last year.They need their heads checked.
    And as for these new “breeds”.a sought after mongrel is all they are.cockapoo.ffs.
    All the time the pounds busting with good healthy dogs in need of a home but people need to be seen with the latest trend instead.
    Fools and their money are easily parted and the country is full of vermin who are great at doing the parting at other people’s expense

600 for a dog FFS.
    Honestly, people are idiots.

• Advertisement

600 for a dog FFS.
    Honestly, people are idiots.

Have a look on DoneDeal.it will frighten you the prices of dogs on it.1200 for glorified mongrels and farmyards and pounds full of them for free or an adoption fee.
    And the country full of idiots willing to buy them and create a market for them.
    The hard truth is the pounds won’t have room for the same dogs in 6 months when the idiotic fools who bought them grow tired of winter walks and try to offload them.

The hard truth is the pounds won’t have room for the same dogs in 6 months when the idiotic fools who bought them grow tired of winter walks and try to offload them.

Meanwhile, those who have loved them and have had them very many years, sometimes as their only companions are suffering by having their beloved pet stolen and the absolute heartbreak of not knowing what happened to their pet and the fear of them suffering somewhere.

That is the hard truth.

How did it look dodgy?
    Did it have Dog Nappers written in block caps on it?

And what happened afterwards?

How did it look dodgy?
    Did it have Dog Nappers written in block caps on it?

And what happened afterwards?

It was driving round my cul de sac and looking in everybody's house and garden but not going to anyone's house. As it is a cul de sac, you would have no reason to come here unless you were going to one of the houses. So they were not going to one of the houses. You don't just drive around random estates for a day out.

I noticed their behaviour was odd as they were nosing into my property and did not realise I was in. I stood at the door with the phone in my hand and off they went very sharpish.

As mentioned above, the best way to deal with suspicious people in the area is to make people aware and alert.

I don't know where they went after my road, but others replied on the Community page they were scouting round a nearby town too, same behaviour driving round Estates. Not sure if they were after dogs in particular, but Im fairly confident to say they were not going to benefit the community in any way positive.

Our local text alert service asks us to report such sightings to make others and especially old and vulnerable aware. Gardai also notified.

Edited to Add: Not sure how it is meant, but if it is being smart - "did it have dognappers written on it" are the type of comments that put people off highlighting suspicious activity in their area. Years ago a neighbours house was broken into, brazen in the middle of the day. Someone across the road spotted them going in, said afterward that did feel it suspicious and were fuming with themselves but said nothing because they had hi viz jackets on maybe it could be people doing work and they did not want to be made out as nosey. You need to use common sense, ie, Larry Murphy is not in every white van in Ireland at the same time, but Community awareness is key to eliminating many levels of crime in our Country.

Meanwhile, those who have loved them and have had them very many years, sometimes as their only companions are suffering by having their beloved pet stolen and the absolute heartbreak of not knowing what happened to their pet and the fear of them suffering somewhere.

That is the hard truth.

Exactly.but they can thank the idiots that are at the end of the chain buying them and their pups up and creating the market.

If there's one good thing to come out of this, it's that the owners of "free range" dogs might actually keep them inside their gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

bb12 wrote: »
    had 2 dogs stolen at different times years ago

one by an ethnic minority...we put the word out that we would offer a big reward for the dogs return (twice the resale value at the time) and 4 days later we got a call and the dog was returned after money paid

the other dog was advertised on gumtree 2 days after it was taken by a scanger from ballymun, we posed as buyers and just bought him back

my dogs are never let out of my sight since and i still get so mad when i see dogs tied up outside shops.

Missed opportunity there with the 2nd lad.
    I'd have caved his head in.

Interesting that you'd say that about the second and not the first.

I'm pretty much on board with everyone neutering etc. but I feel like it might be a part of the problem. Even 10 years ago at any point I could have told you where to get a Jack Russell pup at pretty much any time. Well looked-after pets having a litter or two meant there was a supply there. Now it seems to be just breeders (legit and otherwise) doing most of the supply. Obviously the demand for CUTE OMG PUPPIES is the ultimate cause though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

As per charter, suggesting harm to people is not permitted in this form. Please do not post in this thread again.

Thanks,
    CB.

Advertisement