Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Still bits of snow hanging on here- hopefully its waiting for more snow on Thursday night!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,534 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Just watched weather news on one of Central European TV channels. They claim another Beast From the East is very likely mid-January.

I've not much knowledge in that matter, so would be more than happy to hear what you guys think.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

In work just now ready to head home in D17 ,looks as though the heavens are about to open up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Bottom streamer starting to thicken up. Maybe a blessing in disguise that it's been passing 5-10km to my North all day, didn't need hours of rain. Get the temperature down and see what happens in a few hours. Local WOW is 2.3c with DP of 1.2. Still a little way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Streamers and Isle of Man Shadow in effect :D

538279.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

DominoDub wrote: »
    Streamers and Isle of Man Shadow in effect :D

Anyone in that shadow is lucky. I'm under the southern train of showers and it's bringing nothing but rain!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

joujoujou wrote: »
    Just watched weather news on one of Central European TV channels. They claim another Beast From the East is very likely mid-January.

I've not much knowledge in that matter, so would be more than happy to hear what you guys think.

Take it with a grain of salt, which ironically we would need to de-ice the roads with. :pac:

But it won't happen. The Beast from the East was an once in a life time event, tv channels and newspapers keep bringing back up for attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Loughc wrote: »
    Take it with a grain of salt, which ironically we would need to de-ice the roads with. :pac:

But it won't happen. The Beast from the East was an once in a life time event, tv channels and newspapers keep bringing back up for attention.

Never say never! :D

I do agree about media hyping things up, but the weather doesn't care for them - unfortunately (otherwise Ireland would have a climate similar to the interior of Canada with hot summers and freezing winters).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

It doesn't appear to be as springlike in the southern half of the island, despite the airmass not being colder there. I went out on a hike today, and took a small drive. Lots of people who wouldn't normally be in this area, due to the lockdown. It can be an annoyance as a frequent hiker.

P6jABf8.jpg
    8JLDJiK.jpg

There were a few Bull's up there. One had been staring at me.

BSxOGN8.jpg
    TbxJoxh.jpg

Desmond's Estate

UGsMZxm.jpg

Aj9FSCg.jpg

There were also some Cumulus clouds about, which appeared to be almost convective in nature.

JO6OK9f.jpg

View of Islay and the Paps of Jura. It was much clearer in reality, I could clearly see snow on the tops of the two peaks.

ObAjd6y.jpg

The Bann Estuary and the Mussenden Temple

58oiP8F.jpg

The Kintyre Peninsula

n4ayK9h.jpg

Donegal
    S8Z7RiD.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I feel for once extremely lucky to be under that IOM Shadow. Not a drop of rain here all day and sunny since this morning with shower towers to my north and to my south. If this was proper cold spell and snow train's i'd be really annoyed with this shadow which plagues South Meath more often than not during easterlies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Great photos, how anyone couldn't enjoy this weather when we get it in Ireland is beyond me.

It's sunny and dry. Yes it's a little bit cold but that's what jackets and hats are for.

I'll personally be sad to see it come to and end.

Here's one I took a short while ago from just down the road - Ballycotton Bay.

IMG-0355.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Gonzo wrote: »
    I feel for once extremely lucky to be under that IOM Shadow. Not a drop of rain here all day and sunny since this morning with shower towers to my north and to my south. If this was proper cold spell and snow train's i'd be really annoyed with this shadow which plagues South Meath more often than not during easterlies.

Was just going to post a virtually identical description. I'm further inland, Offaly north, and watched them drift by today but didn't affect us. A pitiable cold spell when northeasterlies in January don't deliver. Onto the next one. Hopefully before end of Jan. Otherwise we are going to chasing desperately before spring arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Another beautiful frozen blue skied day in eastern county Galway. Not a drop of precipitation. A section of Lough Derg frozen, ice approximately an inch thick. We Plan on putting some water out on the tarmac tonight so the kids can have some “ice skating” fun in the morning

And there appeared to still be some snow on the Antrim hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

KingJeremy wrote: »
    Another beautiful frozen blue skied day in eastern county Galway. Not a drop of precipitation. A section of Lough Derg frozen, ice approximately an inch thick. We Plan on putting some water out on the tarmac tonight so the kids can have some “ice skating” fun in the morning

Used to love doing that when I was younger a smaller kid. :D

Make sure you only do your own drive though!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Danno wrote: »
    Used to love doing that when I was younger a smaller kid. :D

Make sure you only do your own drive though!!! :eek:
    Thanks Danno, will do! I grew up in hot sunny Australia so never had a chance to try it out as a kid...maybe also explains a little towards my hankering for snow and freezing weather

• Registered Users Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Howth down to 3.7c so the snow level will be both falling and being dragged back toward the coast.

Would be surprised to see some sleet or even a few flakes here at some point overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Was up the Dublin mountains this afternoon. Snowline starts at about 350m for the wet patchy stuff, anywhere above 400m has good coverage, getting better with height. About 1-2cm at 400m getting up to 5cms at 500m.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Gonzo wrote: »

I don't understand how you were so dry.. we had frequent heavy showers in North County Dublin today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,915 ✭✭✭circadian

KingJeremy wrote: »

If you get a good layer of ice wear knee pads and run and slide on your knees, great craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Holy Duck

lawred2 wrote:
    I don't understand how you were so dry.. we had frequent heavy showers in North County Dublin today

Also in NCD, got very dark a few times but nothing fell bar the odd spit...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,915 ✭✭✭circadian

Holy Duck wrote: »
    Also in NCD, got very dark a few times but nothing fell bar the odd spit...

Some heavy showers between about 10am and 1pm today in Dublin 9. I think the showers were very localised today. I could even visibly make out the Isle of Man shadow to the north and south of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,816 ✭✭✭appledrop

lawred2 wrote: »

Yes it was horrible today in NCD plenty of heavy showers with hail at times. Freezing cold again in strong wind.

Think sun appeared for about an hour that was it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Howth down to 3.7c so the snow level will be both falling and being dragged back toward the coast.

Would be surprised to see some sleet or even a few flakes here at some point overnight.

Irish Sea streamers look to be loosing intensity (for now).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,816 ✭✭✭appledrop

Siobhan put it best there on weather forecast.

Bitting cold todat + for next few days with best of the weather away from the east!

Possibility of snow on Thursday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭esposito

appledrop wrote: »
    Siobhan put it best there on weather forecast.

Bitting cold todat + for next few days with best of the weather away from the east!

Possibility of snow on Thursday morning.

Just got caught in a cold rain and then hail shower coming back from the shops in D16. Drenched Absolutely horrible!

Snow falling against my face would have been so much more enjoyable. Temperatures look to be more conducive for snow over the coming days in Dublin.

There’s a lot of cloud about tonight. I was hoping for a frost.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Irish Sea streamers look to be loosing intensity (for now).

Ironically we've just had our sharpest shower (and only one since morning) just now and it had some Gerry Murphy Shleet

Currently 3.8c in Arklow
    Dewpoint is zero Celsius
    Wetbulb is 2c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

When it comes to snow, nowhere does it better than Hokkaido. It's on the bucket list.

https://twitter.com/TAK17246558/status/1344990307599859715

Advertisement