Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ford v. Ferrari

Options
2»

Comments

I saw this during the week. It was decent. Bale and Damon were very good. I wouldn't be in a rush to see it again though. I felt it dragged, especially in the middle of the movie. Could have done with being 20 - 30 minutes shorter.

I agree with a poster above that there was no need to create the panto villain. It felt contrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Brilliant movie: interesting true story, properly drawn characters, gripping action scenes and great actors.

Much better than Rush in my opinion.

Agree with above posters about the panto villain.

Would't rule out an Oscar for either lead or supporting Actor, either.
    in my opinion Bale is a much better actor than Pitt, and Damon gives a strong performance here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Read a fairly disappointing review for this in the Sunday Indo yesterday where the author penned that this was a 'penis measuring contest' with Damon laying on a thick accent. Thought it was a poorly balanced review in all honesty - the story is a brilliant one and despite the few 'Hollywood' moments, the performances by Bale and Damon were quite good - a quick youtube of the background would have provided proof that Damon did quite a good job in portraying Shelby

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

D'Agger wrote: »
    Read a fairly disappointing review for this in the Sunday Indo yesterday where the author penned that this was a 'penis measuring contest' with Damon laying on a thick accent. Thought it was a poorly balanced review in all honesty - the story is a brilliant one and despite the few 'Hollywood' moments, the performances by Bale and Damon were quite good - a quick youtube of the background would have provided proof that Damon did quite a good job in portraying Shelby
    Well Shelby was an out and out Texan, something maybe that reviewer couldn't be arsed to look up :rolleyes:

Loved the film myself, although some of the changes to story confused me a bit on first viewing
    Miles not racing in 65 for instance.
    But that's nit picky and something the average viewer wouldn't care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Saw it today, and enjoyed it...I'm not a petrol head or anything but the cars and driving looked great on the big screen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Beckyyyg

I'm going to watch it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I wasn't expecting much when I saw it but really enjoyed.

The ending
    caught me out as I figured that the problems with the door would come back to haunt Ken. So once the race ended and they were all safe I thought that'd be it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm glad I caught it today, but I had a bit of a gripe with
    all the times Miles blew past his rivals just by going full throttle. Then again, the 1970 edition had just 7 finishers, and reliability was brought up many times, I'll let that slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Gave this a watch as it had been on The List (TM) for a good while.

The review scores were high so I was expecting a decent film given I don't know a huge amount of the bits n pieces of cars or the ins and outs of going fast in them (Fast n Furious Film Watcher does not make me an expert I'm 99% sure 😁)

and...

Yeah that was a pretty decent film. I didn't think I'd get over Bale with the English accent but I did. Followed along the story but I think one real piece of magic here was the Marco Beltrami sound track. It worked wonders during the races. They felt really exciting and nail biting! I associate Beltrami with 3:10 to Yuma so I was like.. Did Beltrami use some kind of Old-West film music styles or something to really pull the audience in there. No discredit to Bale and Damon, Bernthal andn Balfe (the wife) as well as the guy who played Ford (Tracy Letts) who all put in solid performances. The whole cast was solid throughout to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,029 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

This looks to be on RTE 1 tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭blackbox

Would anyone like to say how it compares to the Le Mans movie with Steve McQueen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

very different style, hard to compare, FvF is more about the lead up to the race and the conflict between the designers v corporate Ford. Le Mans is more a pure petrol head movie.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I caught this on RTE during the week. Bale and Damon did some great acting. Bale especially, he is such a talent.

The story itself is riviting, both historically and in this movie.

did it win any gongs?

EDIT. awards for sound editing

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

just saw it on TV, brilliant movie! 😎

best driving/car racing movie since Ron Howard's Rush

Advertisement