Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Brides/Grooms

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Anyone getting the wedding dreams yet? Always with something forgotten! Three more months of those I assume....

A recurring one where I either forget to pack the dress altogether or put it on to discover I'd forgotten to have it altered.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭love_love

We're done! It couldn't have been more magical and perfect, wouldn't change a single second of it. For anyone who has it yet to come, I hope it is as stress-free as our day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Hi, how is everyone's preparation coming along? We have our invites finished and ready to be sent out tomorrow. 12 weeks to go and it's all starting to feel very real. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Just over 3.5 weeks to go! I don't know where this year has gone... after a panic the last two weeks we are mostly organised just finalising ceremony/menus etc and the last few bits and pieces. I am so excited to see everyone :happy:

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

We had our big day a couple of weeks ago.
    It was brilliant.
    The day felt very long but before you know it, you're waking up the morning after.
    Enjoy every moment of it.
    Remember, something won't go perfectly (we had a couple of minor hiccups on the day), but it doesn't matter, just go with it.

Make sure to enjoy it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

I'm 16 weeks on Saturday - people are asking me for their invites as they want to stay over in the hotel and i'm feeling the pressure with that but surely 16 weeks is waaaaaaaay too early??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 elle.en

I'm 16 weeks on Saturday - people are asking me for their invites as they want to stay over in the hotel and i'm feeling the pressure with that but surely 16 weeks is waaaaaaaay too early??!!

We’re 16 weeks away also and I’m nowhere near sending out invites - I was aiming for last week in July/first week in August, which I think is plenty of time. They can still book into the hotel without the invite I’m sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

What's stopping them booking into the hotel without the invitation? Most people eroded have a very strong inclination on whether to expect an invite or not.
    Most hotels do free cancellation on rooms up to a point close to the day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I've a friend who's getting married March 2020. I'm the overly organised type and asked her about accommodation even though it's aaaaaages away. Good thing I did though, because loads in the area is already booked out!! They're getting married in a very small venue and the big hotel nearby must be booked for another wedding the same weekend.

We went ahead and booked accommodation without the actual invitations though... I'm assuming my OH is invited, but I guess you never know for sure (particularly with kids) until the invites arrive.

You can always tell them to go ahead and book though. They just need to know the location, date and ideally who will be on the invite :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

If you have the invitations and guest list is finalised why not send them out. It’s another job done and ticked off the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

I'm thinking its too early as i'm afraid people will forget about it haha!!

I think i'll just send the invites to those who i think may want to stay over, everyone else can wait a few more weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I'm thinking its too early as i'm afraid people will forget about it haha!!

I think i'll just send the invites to those who i think may want to stay over, everyone else can wait a few more weeks!

I would advise against this and send them all at once.

For those you think will stay over contact them by message and advise that rooms are in a block booking, under Code xxxx, and to reserve if they want to.

We had a block booking and got the hotel to monitor who was booking in. They gave us until about a month before the Wedding to confirm the list and then they released the rooms we didn't need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

anyone have any pointers for designing the wedding booklet, what definitely needs to be included and what can be left out. Its a church wedding so I assume we can get away with this layout for the booklets

priests name, parents best man maid of honour etc
    opening prayer
    readings
    prayers of the faithful

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hanaimai

Anyone got any tips for dealing with self-esteem issues on your wedding day? I've got a beautiful dress and shoes and accessories but all I can focus on is the flaws and I feel hyper conscious at the thought of being the center of attention! All I can think about is how fat my arms look or how round my face is or how awful I'm going to look in the photos etc. I'm two months out so realistically my body isn't going to change much before then, but I'm terrified of my self-consciousness ruining both the build-up and the day itself. I have a long history of poor body image/low self-esteem but the wedding seems to be seriously amplifying it. Any ideas for how to cope??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

hanaimai wrote: »
    Anyone got any tips for dealing with self-esteem issues on your wedding day? I've got a beautiful dress and shoes and accessories but all I can focus on is the flaws and I feel hyper conscious at the thought of being the center of attention! All I can think about is how fat my arms look or how round my face is or how awful I'm going to look in the photos etc. I'm two months out so realistically my body isn't going to change much before then, but I'm terrified of my self-consciousness ruining both the build-up and the day itself. I have a long history of poor body image/low self-esteem but the wedding seems to be seriously amplifying it. Any ideas for how to cope??

You poor thing, that is so tough. I also have a tendency to focus on the flaws. Someone told me that when you look in the mirror or at a photo of yourself, before you pick out what you perceive as a flaw, to first make sure you pick something nice about yourself. Even if you just look in and go "my smile was nice", "my hair wasn't as mad as a brush". I was skeptical but it helped me to realise how often I criticised myself and how we quite often say things to ourselves that we would never dream of saying to another person.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 elle.en

hanaimai wrote: »

I honestly could have wrote this. I’m getting married in 2 months also and have the same issues/concerns. What I’m trying to focus on is that I’m the happiest I’ve ever been in my life otherwise and my Fiancé is a huge part of that. I want to make our wedding day less about what I look like and more about the happiness of that day. It’s easier said than done, but as you said not much is going to change in 2 months, so I’m trying to focus on all the other good aspects of the day.

When you look back on photos of the day, try not to look at individual parts of your body, but the expression on your face, and remember how you felt on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭love_love

I don't know if this is helpful because I'm lucky not to have struggled as much as some with self-esteem, but I have honestly never felt more beautiful than I did on my wedding day a few months ago. I had the same face and body as I always do, and yeah my dress was amazing but it's not transformative. I just felt it. The feelings of the day and being surrounded by those who love you and wish you the best really helps give you to feel positive about everything. The one thing that I am consistently self conscious about is my tummy, since I'm slim it more noticeably sticks out, and get this - I ended up getting my period on the day meaning I had some whopper bloat around the precise area that I dislike most. You can see this in pictures and everything. It didn't matter. I still felt so pretty, and I look it in photos and videos as well, because it's something that radiates.

On "being the centre of attention", it's actually far less intense than you think it is. People are having the chats with each other most of the time, and once they've got their glimpse of you at the start of the day, no-one is staring or watching your every move :) I hope this goes some way to helping xx

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

Yes it's all about the bride and how she appears on the day, self confidence, no matter the thoughts you harbour will overcome the fear you have. Step forward, love yourself as much as your groom does and don't worry too much about others on your wedding day. It's about you and your future husband, the 'we' rather the 'me' and you should absolutely sink into this idilic opportunity to think about others less than normal. Be your beautiful self and worry less, people attend because they care for/love you or your husband-to-be, they won't see anything other than the love you have for each other and the happiness you express. Let that be your focus. Do it! Enjoy it, and make memories that will last forever.

At the same time, let me tell you, as a groom-to-be with 3 weeks to go, I'm doing my best to appear my best on the day. My own gut could do with some scalpel treatment but I know my bride-to-me loves me and the confidence I get from that overcomes all my own insecurities.

Oh hanaimai I feel for you! I guess I am lucky because I work outside and normally look like I have been dragged backwards through a ditch so I knew that any improvement would make me feel good.

I have a lot of self conscious issues too because I have alopecia and I have terrible teeth. I was delighted with my dress though and felt amazing in it - that was a first step. Then my sister in law did my make up - I don't wear make up and was gonna just do my normal half assed job but she did my face up lovely! Honestly when I got there I forgot how awful my teeth are and how my hair might be rubbish and how I was bet into my dress cause I'm not as slim as I used to be. I forgot all if those things when I saw my groom, my love, and we were just so happy. I HATE being the center of attention so bad that I wouldn't even walk down the aisle, but when the day arrived I just winged it. I loved every second. I smiled like I never have before, awful teeth and all.

I guess my advice is to get a dress you love, get your hair and make up done to your wants, then just go forth and love your big day!! I know I never thought I would feel the way I did. I hope you have the same amazing day we did.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hanaimai

Thanks all, I really appreciate the kind words. I do hope I will feel differently on the day itself but in the meantime I'm going to try to focus as much as possible on all the good stuff!

• Advertisement

I got married on June 15th. Wondering how the rest of you got on weather wise? The night before the wedding it was pouring down torrentially. Like really so bad that the roads were "flooding". But the day of my wedding dawned beautiful and stayed that way all day; I am a person who wouldn't be outside in a dress if it was any way chilly. We wanted to have our ceremony outside but we couldn't because the ground was too water logged.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭mickey15ie

Afternoon All,

Generally is there a specific time for the wedding band to stop playing at?

if that start at 9pm and have a 3 hour piece obviously they finish at 12am.

But if they start at 930pm can they still insist on finishing at 12am?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

mickey15ie wrote: »
    Afternoon All,

What written in the contract? Ours had a maximum curfew, and that included the DJ. So perhaps work backwards if you have something similar. Maybe take into account if the band need a 15 min break in between sets or if you are serving nibbles in the late evening, between the band and DJ for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

mickey15ie wrote: »
    Afternoon All,

Hmm depends on the contract - does it say 3 hours or does it say 9 to 12?
    My sisters band said 9-12 and they didn't start until nearly 10 - stopped at 12!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Probably varies a bit but I'd say most have a cut-off time given they have to also pack up. Otherwise it can quickly turn into a very late night. 9pm seems an ambitious start time. Rarely see that happen... 9:30 maybe but more often than not, it's closer to 10. How late the food goes (which is also affected by speeches) and whether or not there are tables where the band need to set up play a big role in the start time.

Advertisement