Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Brides/Grooms

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

What are confetti cups?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Are confetti cups those bra cups you can sew into a dress? Could you try somewhere like Hickeys maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Anyone have advice for grooms speech? Getting married in a few months and don't know where to start. I don't know what to say and Im not used to talking in a group of over 200 people. Is it OK to read it out on the day. In the ideal world you would talk from the heart but I wouldn't be that confident. What have grooms here done for their wedding day. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭love_love

Scarinae wrote: »
    Are confetti cups those bra cups you can sew into a dress? Could you try somewhere like Hickeys maybe?

Thanks, tried Hickeys and couldn't find the specific brand I've been asked to grt, have just had to reschedule the fitting :( It's a minor thing but there's lots going on at the moment and I was looking forward to it.

Re: grooms speech, Google is a great resource to give guidance of the different speeches and who should cover what. It's fine to read it out. Traditionally the groom does the thank yous (venue, staff, help along the way from friends etc) and say that the bridesmaids are only gorgeous, and isn't it so weird to call your wife your wife now. The groom's speech is the most functional one I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Amprodude wrote: »
    Anyone have advice for grooms speech? Getting married in a few months and don't know where to start. I don't know what to say and Im not used to talking in a group of over 200 people. Is it OK to read it out on the day. In the ideal world you would talk from the heart but I wouldn't be that confident. What have grooms here done for their wedding day. Thanks.

A question that's been asked a few times over the years in here. Worth doing a search of the forum for "groom speech" and see what good advice turns up.

My go to advice if you're not feeling confident about public speaking is to keep it simple. Weather you write it all down, write down just the bullet points or memorize it, keep the speech simple. Thank the right people, compliment the bridesmaids, say something nice about your best man, your parents, your wife's parents, and finally (and most importantly) say something nice about your new wife and how lucky you are to have married her.

All the above can be kept as generic as you like and it will still be a good speech. If you can make it a bit more personal, e.g. a comment on the first time you met her parents, when you proposed, how your parents supported you, etc. it'll raise it a bit more but that's totally up to you how comfortable you are sharing personal stuff. BTW, if you feel you're not confident about speaking from the heart... just write it out as if you are just speaking to your wife. Trust then that what you wrote is perfect and read it on the day.

• Advertisement

Bacchus wrote: »
    A question that's been asked a few times over the years in here. Worth doing a search of the forum for "groom speech" and see what good advice turns up.

My go to advice if you're not feeling confident about public speaking is to keep it simple. Weather you write it all down, write down just the bullet points or memorize it, keep the speech simple. Thank the right people, compliment the bridesmaids, say something nice about your best man, your parents, your wife's parents, and finally (and most importantly) say something nice about your new wife and how lucky you are to have married her.

All the above can be kept as generic as you like and it will still be a good speech. If you can make it a bit more personal, e.g. a comment on the first time you met her parents, when you proposed, how your parents supported you, etc. it'll raise it a bit more but that's totally up to you how comfortable you are sharing personal stuff. BTW, if you feel you're not confident about speaking from the heart... just write it out as if you are just speaking to your wife. Trust then that what you wrote is perfect and read it on the day.

I was hoping to read and talk from my notes. Im hoping by having it in front of me it will jog me to talk and help me memorise what I'm saying etc. But il have it in front of me in case I mess up.

What can you say about the bridesmaids I mean is it OK to thank them for all their help and assisting my wife at the church etc. Do you propose a toast to the bridesmaids etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hanaimai

Well after much consideration (and stressing!), I'm moving from a 2020 bride to a 2019 bride! Our original plan was to do the traditional style wedding, but for many reasons we've decided to change to a more low key affair with just our closest family and friends. It was a difficult decision to make as we had put a few deposits down already and I really did love our chosen venue, but since we started making arrangements for the 'new plan' I feel beyond relieved! I know this is the right decision for us. We've been lucky with the deposits too - only the band didn't refund - and we were able to change some suppliers to our new date, so very little out of pocket luckily.

And now I get to go on honeymoon earlier than originally planned, delighted haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

In the same situation.. what I plan to do is use bullet points on cards such as bridesmaids: beautiful etc.etc.
    Brides family: thank them etc.

Short and sweet is the route I am taking. I am leaving the toast to the best man.

Easy to say but try relax and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I was hoping to read and talk from my notes. Im hoping by having it in front of me it will jog me to talk and help me memorise what I'm saying etc. But il have it in front of me in case I mess up.

What can you say about the bridesmaids I mean is it OK to thank them for all their help and assisting my wife at the church etc. Do you propose a toast to the bridesmaids etc?

Sounds like a good plan if that's what works for you.

Regarding the bridesmaid, yes it's perfectly fine (and a nice thing) to say exactly what you suggest there. As for the toasts, you should probably just coordinate with the best man on who is doing toasts. It's really down to personal opinion but you could do toasts for parents (collectively), bridesmaids, and bride. Best man can give one to the bride and groom.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Have you considered when you are doing it on the day? I'll be in a similar position in a few months too and we're planning on (short!) speeches before the meal or even during the reception so that it's not hanging over us and we can enjoy the day.

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    Have you considered when you are doing it on the day? I'll be in a similar position in a few months too and we're planning on (short!) speeches before the meal or even during the reception so that it's not hanging over us and we can enjoy the day.
    Before the main meals. Just after the starters I was hoping and not go on for more than 4 mins. That won't happen with me anyway.

Don't quite have to worry about it yet, but does anyone have any experience of a linear top table where one side is a single parent and one has both parents? I can find suggestions online of how to seat divorced parents and parents who have remarried, but none where there is only one parent on one side. I know I can just decide on a layout but I find it weird that there are no "guides" that cover single parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭patricia88

I've been to a few weddings where there was a parent that had passed away.
    The parent picked someone else to sit with them on the day - another child, a brother or sister, or just a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dinnyhw

love_love wrote: »
    Don't quite have to worry about it yet, but does anyone have any experience of a linear top table where one side is a single parent and one has both parents? I can find suggestions online of how to seat divorced parents and parents who have remarried, but none where there is only one parent on one side. I know I can just decide on a layout but I find it weird that there are no "guides" that cover single parents.

We got married 3 weeks ago and had something similar in that my Husband's father has passed away but both my parents are still with us. We chose to have our parents sitting beside us and the bridal party on the outside. It meant my mother in law was sitting in between her two sons ( groom and best man) instead of sitting on her own at the end of the table. It worked well for us and I'm sure could work fine for a single parent also.

Thanks patricia88 and dinnyhw, that's really helpful :)

dinnyhw, can I ask did that arrangement mean that you had an odd number of people at the table? We have 3 bridesmaids and 3 groomsmen so I was thinking:

bm | gm | bm | b's father | b's mother | groom | bride | g's mother | gm | bm | gm

The groomsman beside the groom's mother would be doing the "best man's" speech. Does that layout seem decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dinnyhw

Yes, we had an odd number. We had 3 bridesmaids and 3 groomsmen too. The table was placed so that our chairs were still centre as you look up so the odd number wasn’t noticeable. My mother in law made a speech so it actually meant that all of the speakers were centre of the table. The main thing for us though was so she wouldn’t feel conspicuous on her own.
    I’m sure your suggestion would work too. For us though some of the bridesmaids didn’t actually know the groomsmen so it wouldn’t have been fair to mix them up!
    Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

https://shop.anpost.com/love-marriage-10-stamp-booklet-hearts-2

20% of stamps, they have an N value so can be used within Ireland. Buy extra for thank you cards if you plan on posting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I’m so annoyed. :mad: Our hotel, for our wedding in September, has changed its name and I already have my invitations printed. We were out there before Christmas and they showed me their refurbishment plans. They could have mentioned to us then. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Hey lads our hotel got in touch recently to say that since VAT has gone up that this will be added on to the price we agreed last year. Has anyone else encountered this?

Hey lads our hotel got in touch recently to say that since VAT has gone up that this will be added on to the price we agreed last year. Has anyone else encountered this?

Some hotels have absorbed the increase, others have passed it on the customers. Check what it says in your contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hanaimai

Yes, our venue also did this. When I checked our contract it stated that any changes in tax etc. could affect the price, or something to that effect, so not really anything we could do about it. Just the way the cookie crumbles!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Ours passed it on too....we're not having huge numbers, 70 at most so the overall increase wasn't too bad, around 150euro increase.

How is everyone doing? We're getting close to the wire now, just a few weeks to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Tomorrow in a week!
    Flying out to Vegas on Tuesday :D

6 months to go for us. We had our intent to marry appointments yesterday. Just a few small bits to get done. Hen's party is the beginning of April so looking forward to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Anybody not having a hen party??
    Its really not my thing - i just keep ignoring any comments on a hens!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

tiredblondie you don't have to have a 'typical' hen party with L plates and willy straws if you don't want to - it would be your hen party so you can do whatever you want to do. But if you don't want one I think that's fine too, my sister-in-law didn't have one.

tiredblondie, defo don't do anything you don't want to, but seconding Scarinae, your hen party can look like whatever you want :) I had mine last month with 7 of my friends who didn't know each other and it was so lovely. I've been under a lot of pressure in the past while so it was amazing to have all my decisions made for me and I just had to show up and relax - we stayed in a beautiful old rented farm house and relaxed and chatted and ate. Bliss!

Anyone getting the wedding dreams yet? Always with something forgotten! Three more months of those I assume....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭boardz

Just on this my understanding is that it depends on when you pay the hotel. For instance if you paid fully in 2018 then the hotel is not liable for the VAT increase and shouldn't pass it on. Pro rata for any amount outstanding in 2019.

Advertisement