Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goals for 2019

Options
  • 16-01-2019 3:47pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It seems like a while since I have participated in one of these and I don't see one set up for 2019 yet.

Have you made any personal plans or set goals for the year ahead? I tend to stay away from New Year's resolutions but I like to at least have some goals or plans in mind no matter how big or small. 2018 plans didn't go so well, hopefully 2019 will be better.

For myself:
    - spend more time learning
    - read more - I joined the Rick O'Shea book club on Facebook, I don't participate in the book discussions very much but seeing other people's posts reminds me to keep reading and gives me some recommendations for future library requests :D
    - financial plans - clear some loans and see where else we can remove bills that are no longer necessary or cut down on others by switching providers, for example
    - lose weight and get fit - I've slowly put back on a lot of weight I had lost, time to get rid of it again
    - go on more trips
    - make more time for girl friends- we already had a catch up over the Christmas holidays and (miraculously) pencilled in another meet-up date at the end of this month

It's all very boring, 'normal' stuff but I'll be happy if I can cross it all off the list in 12 months time :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Mine were something about loosing a bit if weight (half a stone or so), not drinking in January and not buying any clothes until I lose that half a stone. I lasted on diet about 2 days and the rest was gone after a week.

The thing is I'm healthy weight, my drinking is very moderate, my diet isn't the worst anyway and I excercise regularly. And yet I get sucked into the whole new year new me thing every year and it never worked for me. :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Yep, Januaary is hard so it's easy for resolutions to fall by the way side. This is why I make the plans/goals for the entire year. I try to get started in January but I'll keep plugging away at them all regularly or sporadically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

2018 was probably the first year I made resolutions and actually stuck to most of them. I was excited and pleasantly surprised that I had achieved that. :D
    I suppose the things I did made me happy and weren’t a chore, so that’s probably why I stuck with them.

So this year I just want to continue the habits I formed in 2018 and now that I’m starting a new job I want to clear my debts, and save to buy a house.
    Also to drink more water! :)

Best of luck with your resolutions - make them manageable and break them down if they seem too ‘big’.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I didn't post on here last year but in 2018 I wanted to spend less money on junk, save for a car, and go on holidays. I did save, ended up putting off the car til this year, and getting a stash of savings put away which I'm really glad about. I also got two separate week-long holidays in, the first time ever in my life I've had a week-long holiday! Went to visit my sister in Austria in May and did some travelling about, and went to the south of France with my bestie for a wedding in July.
    My relationship took a battering in 2017 so in 2018 I wanted to work on that to get it back to where it was, and also work on my happiness in myself in case that didn't work out. Both of those things worked out pretty well, I think.

For 2019:
    - actually buy a car this year, I've been driving 6 years but always been driving a banger of 12 years plus, I'm budgeting about 10K for something decent and actually roadworthy!
    - get my finances in order, get lots more savings aside, and not allow my account to go into the red at all.
    - finish losing the weight - I lost 5 stone in 2016/17 but in 2018 I was lazy about it and put some back on, I want to reach my target this summer.
    - get reading, and writing, again.
    - balance my working time better so I can get out and active more, spend less wasteful time at the desk.
    - I'd love to get engaged this year!

I turn 30 in June so it's really motivating me so get my shiz in order!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I do make goals.. going ok so far, mostly.

Financial goal was to get x amount into my pension, and then start saving for new windows in the last part of the house to be refurbished. On track to get there by October. (Pension, not windows... that’s for next year)

Community goal, kick off the fundraising for our local project and show face at as many cockfights related to it as possible. Getting there!

Work, get my exams for the next set of professional exams (done) and negotiate more pay (June).

Travel. Try our first home exchange. Booked it last week. Eek.

Health. Get a niggly abdominal pain checked out (done) and do more running. Goosed here, have sprained ankle that keeps getting resprained instead of healing. Need to go find a physio.

Family. Get more free time together. Clear extra curricular stuff off the weekend onto week nights and do more spontaneous stuff. Allow myself to Be more playful.

Garden. Clear an area covered in brambles and get some decent plants in there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement