Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When will we fly again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

theguzman wrote: »
    Tariffs, protectionism and Nationalism will only go from strength to strenght now.

If it does we're screwed. We are a small economy with few natural resources. We only got rich (and will stay that way) by trading with the world.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

June 17 seems to be bandied around as a date when flights will begin starting again for the likes of Ryanair, Easyjet and Jet2.

Personally am not so sure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

June 17 seems to be bandied around as a date when flights will begin starting again for the likes of Ryanair, Easyjet and Jet2.

Source?

Sounds completely unrealistic tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

It’s the hope that’ll probably kill me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,555 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The answer the that is the same as toe answer to all the other questions like "when will the pubs reopen?": when we're all immune to the virus. If they find a vaccine and roll it out to both your country AND the destination country, then you'll be able to fly between the two countries. There might be some phased reintroduction of flights for essential business but flights for recreation or holidays are off the table until there's Immunity to the virus.

With 5,000,000 people on the island of Ireland, how long will it take for everyone to get the virus and become immune? Work it out yourself. Let's say 100,000 people a week get it, how many weeks would it take for everyone to get it? Answer is about a year. So we're probably relying on a vaccine, which has to be developed, tested rolled out and administered.

In either case were talking a year in reality. It's cute of the governments to keep talking as if the lockdown might end in a few weeks, but it's absolutely not going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

The answer toy that is the same as all the other questions like "when will the oh s reopen?": when we're all immune to the virus. If they find a vaccine and roll it out to bother your country AND the destination country, then you'll be able to fly between the two. There might be some phased reintroduction of flights for essential business but flights for recreation or holidays are off the table until there's Immunity to the virus.

With 5,000,000 people on the island of Ireland, how long will it take for everyone to get the virus and become immune? Work it out yourself. Let's say 100,000 people a week get it, how many weeks would it take for everyone to get it? Answer is about a year. So we're probably relying on a vaccine, which has to be developed, tested rolled out and administered.

In either case were talking a year in reality. It's cute of the governments to keep talking as if the lockdown might end in a few weeks, but it's absolutely not going to happen.

The lockdown in its current form has to end in a few weeks. That may not allow for international travel but it’ll end. Socially or economically it cannot be sustained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,555 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The lockdown in its current form has to end in a few weeks. That may not allow for international travel but it’ll end. Socially or economically it cannot be sustained.

Maybe. Maybe not.

They might just say."Look, everyone needs to get the virus and lots of people will die but we have to save the economy".

But I really doubt air travel will go back to allowing travel for fun until a vaccine has been rolled out across the home and destination countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Herd immunisation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

salonfire wrote: »
    Is it really necessary to go abroad multiple times a year for holidaying?

Theres a lot abroad that simply isnt here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Source?

Sounds completely unrealistic tbh

It actually makes complete sense, but it will probably be the start of June.
    It's simple economics it's cheaper for governments to let the planes fly, all any government has to issue is a recommendation not to fly to country x y z.
    The airline does not have to refund any money to the customer, people would likely not fly.
    Win for a government win for the airline.

• Advertisement

ZX7R wrote: »
    It actually makes complete sense, but it will probably be the start of June.
    It's simple economics it's cheaper for governments to let the planes fly, all any government has to issue is a recommendation not to fly to country x y z.
    The airline does not have to refund any money to the customer, people would likely not fly.
    Win for a government win for the airline.

**** that ill fly. Rather than being out of pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Can i ask where this date is coming from?

Personally i think the Airlines and Governments are going day to day.
    A flight can be booked with EasyJet today from May 1st, Ryanair is from

May 8th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I read that June 17th thing on Facebook too for Jet2 to Lanzarote. I dont have a reliable source though sorry.

We have lanzarote booked for the end of June going into July. Flying with aerlingus and Ryanair. Don't know what way we stand. We did buy annual travel insurance in February but I don't know if this covers anything?

June 17 date is from here

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/money/tui-ryanair-jet2-unveil-dates-21845022.amp

Is Tui, Jet2 and Ryanair (not Easyjet).

Jet2 is 17th June. This is the second batch of cancellations as the first lot ended on May 1st

https://www.jet2.com/flights/incident

I’m still debating what to do with my cancelled May 25th holiday to Greece. It’s stg£144 cheaper for the same time in 2021.

Jet2 is 17th June. This is the second batch of cancellations as the first lot ended on May 1st

https://www.jet2.com/flights/incident

I’m still debating what to do with my cancelled May 25th holiday to Greece. It’s stg£144 cheaper for the same time in 2021.

I did not realize a flight could be bought this far in advance.

I did not realize a flight could be bought this far in advance.

Yea it's normally 11 months before ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Me neither but tui showing holidays up to September 2021 too.

• Advertisement

Me neither but tui showing holidays up to September 2021 too.

Assume they're trying to capitalise on people who cant book a holiday this year and are itching to book something for 2021.

You can actually always book tui the following year. I think the flight times aren't set in stone and normally change

Ryanair trying to stimulate demand in September by having a seat sale, seats to Europe from €39.99 each way

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/plan-trip/explore/incredible-offers?onsid=rycom_PT_ie_SB190320_mhero1_noseg_noab_nodev_nodl_nodlp.html

Ryanair trying to stimulate demand in September by having a seat sale, seats to Europe from €39.99 each way

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/plan-trip/explore/incredible-offers?onsid=rycom_PT_ie_SB190320_mhero1_noseg_noab_nodev_nodl_nodlp.html

A very unsavory promotion from one of the dodgiest companies in the Travel sector. Ryanair know full well they can't guarantee European countries will be open by September

So then what happens? Well, you'll end up chasing the bastids for your refund.

I'll be absolutely avoiding "sales" like this till A) we see at least a few European countries opening back up, and B) a new wave of Covid not hitting them because they've re-opened

I notice they are pretty selective as to where the offers are.
    I expect the premium areas are pretty well filled.
    They are absolutely brilliant at manipulating the market.

Why would anyone say they are dodgy??
    Bus with wings,O'Leary's words.
    They more comfortable than Bus Eireann who i compare them with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm trying to help a Latvian mother and child get home. They didn't manage to get a booking on the repatriation flights and they have since had 3 other flights (Ryanair and AirBaltic) booked and canceled.
    Really hoping there will even be one flight a week between some countries by the middle of May.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    I'm trying to help a Latvian mother and child get home. They didn't manage to get a booking on the repatriation flights and they have since had 3 other flights (Ryanair and AirBaltic) booked and canceled.
    Really hoping there will even be one flight a week between some countries by the middle of May.

Can i ask if restrictions same in Baltic countries same as here or do you know?

A very unsavory promotion from one of the dodgiest companies in the Travel sector. Ryanair know full well they can't guarantee European countries will be open by September

So then what happens? Well, you'll end up chasing the bastids for your refund.

I'll be absolutely avoiding "sales" like this till A) we see at least a few European countries opening back up, and B) a new wave of Covid not hitting them because they've re-opened

Dodgiest companies..a bit OTT but you are entitled to your opinion.

I've said it before, even if you don't like Ryanair they keep competitors in check and allow more people to travel.

Must have flown them hundreds of times and have never had an issue, if you play by the rules they are perfectly fine. If you don't like the rules....pay more with another carrie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Can i ask if restrictions same in Baltic countries same as here or do you know?

Yes, it's much the same as here, stay at home apart from essential workers. Only out and about with good reason, with fines and the possibility of three years in prison if caught out without good reason. They of course will enforce laws like that, unlike here.

Last we heard regarding Latvia was they might open the borders May 12th, but that might be just land borders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

That sale has been up for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

we have 3.5 weeks booked in Spain from June 27th. Staying in a friends villa so no money has been paid apart from the flights being paid for.
    What are the possibilities that we will get to travel? My wife i resigned to the fact that we wont get to travel but im still of the mind set that nothing is cancelled as of yet.
    Are there any inklings from Aer Lingus on when travel to Spain may be an option? As i see Ryan air are mentioning June 17th.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

I'd say the likelihood is around 20% at this moment in time. May 5th that could go to 30% or 10% depending on the restrictions update.

If there's any way they can, airlines will run that flight. Only problem is, the entry restrictions. Spain taking the first step today in relaxing restrictions, hopefully it continues!

Spain taking the first step today in relaxing restrictions, hopefully it continues!

I fear this will start another spike. This thing is still very prominent in Spain, so how could it not?

Time will tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

When widespread vaccination takes place is when tourism in any Country should resume, otherwise the whole scenario will happen again, people dont seem to understand this!

When widespread vaccination takes place is when tourism in any Country should resume, otherwise the whole scenario will happen again, people dont seem to understand this!

People shouldnt be out of pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

So you think there will be no commercial flights between countries (ignoring the fact that there are even still some operating at the very worst of all this) until there's a vaccine, even if that's until next year?!

Call me an optimist but I see it returning at least by September in some form.

Once the virus is at a pretty similar level between two countries, air travel between those two countries won't have any significant impact on the spread of the virus.

Amazing news for those of us passionate about Travel. I hope this is emulated by every major airline

Emirates Airline Begins Conducting Rapid COVID-19 Tests For Boarding Passengers

"In a move that could be a step toward making air travel palatable to the public again, Emirates Airline has begun conducing rapid-on site COVID-19 for passengers.

The testing began with passengers on a flight from Dubai to Tunisia on Wednesday. The analysis is a blood test with results within 10 minutes. The airline says it is the first to roll out rapid testing"

I don't think we're allowed paste full articles? It's all worth a read though

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/15/834999076/emirates-airlines-begins-conducting-rapid-covid-19-tests-for-boarding-passengers

https://www.emirates.com/media-centre/emirates-becomes-first-airline-to-conduct-on-site-rapid-covid-19-tests-for-passengers/

This has been discussed as a future hope for some of us in Facebook travel groups and this is a major step

For me, the question remains though; what happens if you test positive at an airport test? What happens the money you spent in advance on a flight and accommodation?

Will you get refunds for both? Will new consumer legislation come in to protect you if you test positive at an airport test? Or, will you have to book at your own risk and risk losing hundreds or maybe thousands or euros?

800_dsc-7030.jpg?10000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Amazing news for those of us passionate about Travel. I hope this is emulated by every major airline

Emirates Airline Begins Conducting Rapid COVID-19 Tests For Boarding Passengers

"In a move that could be a step toward making air travel palatable to the public again, Emirates Airline has begun conducing rapid-on site COVID-19 for passengers.

The testing began with passengers on a flight from Dubai to Tunisia on Wednesday. The analysis is a blood test with results within 10 minutes. The airline says it is the first to roll out rapid testing"

I don't think we're allowed paste full articles? It's all worth a read though

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/15/834999076/emirates-airlines-begins-conducting-rapid-covid-19-tests-for-boarding-passengers

https://www.emirates.com/media-centre/emirates-becomes-first-airline-to-conduct-on-site-rapid-covid-19-tests-for-passengers/

This has been discussed as a future hope for some of us in Facebook travel groups and this is a major step

For me, the question remains though; what happens if you test positive at an airport test? What happens the money you spent in advance on a flight and accommodation?

Will you get refunds for both? Will new consumer legislation come in to protect you if you test positive at an airport test? Or, will you have to book at your own risk and risk losing hundreds or maybe thousands or euros?

800_dsc-7030.jpg?10000

There are very real questions about the accuracy of those quick blood tests.

I’ve gone back and forth and back and forth and I think I’ve made a decision.

I am going to rebook my May 2020 holiday to Greece for May 2121. Poops 2021 even lol

I’m also cancelling my annual travel insurance as it’s no longer worth the paper it’s written on. If I travel outside of Europe, I’ll get insurance but as an EU member, I’m covered for health anyway.

There are very real questions about the accuracy of those quick blood tests.

I think that's why Emirates did this small trial on a not so big route. It's still early days, but it's a step in the right direction

I’ve gone back and forth and back and forth and I think I’ve made a decision.

I am going to rebook my May 2020 holiday to Greece for May 2121. Poops 2021 even lol

I’m also cancelling my annual travel insurance as it’s no longer worth the paper it’s written on. If I travel outside of Europe, I’ll get insurance but as an EU member, I’m covered for health anyway.

Well May 2020 was a no brainer. Decision was pretty mich made for you. Pain in the hole all the same.

• Advertisement

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/easyjet-to-keep-middle-seats-empty-when-flights-resume-994338.html

I came across this, according to this the Airline business was losing serious money even before Covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

When will we fly again?
    When you grow wings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

We have a holiday in Europe booked for the end of June, can change it free of charge anyway now, but holding off to see what happens - theres a good chance TUI will cancel it anyway.

If the government have removed the quarantine period on return, and dont have a travel advisory issued, we're going.

The reality is other countries in Europe have introduced the same social distancing initiatives as Ireland, and we can be as cautious abroad as we are here.

With regards to flying, theres no evidence suggesting its spreading massively on aircraft - cabin crew and airport staff haven't been disproportionatly infected by the virus. I'd imagine most passengers will be wearing masks while flying over the next few months also.

The previous infections coming from abroad were due to tight social settings / large gatherings (ski resorts, horse racing, concerts etc) that are no longer happening here or abroad.

So unless the government / hse are advising against travel, we will go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Even with the talk of easing of restrictions I genuinely cant see any of the usual Spanish/Portugese/Canary Island/etc. holiday spots being open to tourists until much, much later in the year, if at all for 2020.
    We're due to travel to Lanzarote in July and are already resigned to it not happening as there are simply too many stages of easings of restrictions to go through to allow 100,000's of travellers suddenly descend on the usual spots. Its just not gonna happen IMO.

My only concern is in a fob to the travel industry there's no loophole created that means we cant get a refund or reschedule our flights for 2021 or suchlike & we lose the full amount we've paid. A situation like that wouldn't surprise me at all.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/easyjet-to-keep-middle-seats-empty-when-flights-resume-994338.html

I came across this, according to this the Airline business was losing serious money even before Covid-19.

Like any industry some bits were but not all.

Does that mean that they are in profit overall?
    That's not the impression i got...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Does that mean that they are in profit overall?
    That's not the impression i got...

How could they be in profit overall? They're all separate companies.

How could they be in profit overall? They're all separate companies.

yes that's what i thought the article said and i thought the other poster thought different... splitting hairs i think...

yes that's what i thought the article said and i thought the other poster thought different... splitting hairs i think...

I'm not splitting hairs - you can't say a whole industry is in trouble just because there's a mixed bags of some profitable and some non profitable businesss.

Anyway back on topic...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

No point yet for me and family members to go abroad to whatever lockdown/social distancing is still in place, compared to staying here in the same boat.

I'd be a bit cautious too about airline travel and all it entails for a while yet. There is no way that planes could observe the 2metre rule, and social distancing will go on for a good while yet no matter what.

I know some people are very brave and divil may care, but most are not. Why go abroad to social distancing and their version of ongoing lockdown and possible quarantine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement