Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair flight to Spain NOT cancelled but country is on lockdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crafty dodger

Yep....their refund website is definitely not working

Despite sending me emails today about cancelled flights on Sunday with the correct Booking reference number, their Refund site tells me I have an invalid Booking reference...same scenario for 3 separate bookings

Pretty bad way of dealing with a difficult situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

satguy wrote: »
    I just fired off an email to my 2 TD's with a link to this thread.

I asked to look into the carry on of Ryanair, before they get any handouts.

Well done.

elperello wrote: »

Listen up folks these jokers don't have it all their own way.

They dont have it their own way, loads of other airlines out there.

I know people will defend Ryanair because of the situation we are in and the fact they have always provided low cost travel.

But they are really taking the piss now with what they are at, they should be allowing people the option to cancel and refund or to move flights. They don't even have to process the refund now if they are back logged, just an acknowledgement that people will be refunded for now will surfice.

Yes I know Ryanair are being devastated with this virus, but there are lots of people who have there own worries now, many maybe loosing jobs and could do with the money they are rightfully owed.

I know I payed over a thousand euro for my tickets and could really do with that money back right about now.

What are Aer Lingus offering that Ryanair are not offering?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭elperello

easypazz wrote: »
    They dont have it their own way, loads of other airlines out there.

And the SCC process can be used to put manners on them too.

• Advertisement

And the SCC process can be used to put manners on them too.

Of course. You show them.

Of course. You show them.

I told you last night I'm self grounded for the foreseeable and have no outstanding bookings with Ryanair.

Just hate to see people messed around by big companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭firemansam4

easypazz wrote:

I don't know, I'm dealing with Ryanair, but I don't see people complaining of the same issues we are having with Ryanair trying to get a refund on their cancelled flights?

But maybe there are similar issues with Aer Lingus?

Do you think Ryanair should be allowed to keep people's money when they can't provide the service they were payed for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mattser

As Tommy Cooper used to say, " It's not the principle, it's the money " 😁

Do you think Ryanair should be allowed to keep people's money when they can't provide the service they were payed for?

I am waiting for a refund from Ryanair for a cancelled flight.

I know I will get my money back, I just choose not to throw my toys out of the pram when I know the people who work there are dealing with all sorts of sh1t.

I will look into it again next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MB05

Surely it would have been easier to Ryanair to offer the option of taking a Ryanair voucher or credit rather than telling people to re-book a new flight when nobody has any idea when we will get through all this?

All their current policy does is put pressure on their systems and staff as people may have to reschedule the flights multiple times over the course the next few months.

They still get to hold on to the cash and people will re-book again (or lose the credit) once the crisis is over.

That way their staff could focus on processing refunds for cancelled flights.

That would be the sensible and fair thing to do. As far as I know BA have given customers vouchers to use within the next year. Alas this is Ryanair and fair is not in their ethos.

The reason of course they haven't done that is that they increased the prices of every possible flight you can book into the future so your credit doesn't cover the price of any new flight you book. It might be different if the destination was more expensive to start off with but UK flights can often be got for €20-30 return, sometimes even cheaper on a Tues or Wed. Similar flights are now multiples of that. There are no 'normal' priced dates to switch to so you can either give them more of your money for a flight that may or may not fly or write off the original cost of the flight you currently have. Neither option is exactly palatable to anyone in that situation.

I know I will get my money back, I just choose not to throw my toys out of the pram when I know the people who work there are dealing with all sorts of sh1t.

That arrangement suits you and you can afford to wait but maybe a bit of empathy to people who are cash strapped.

That arrangement suits you and you can afford to wait but maybe a bit of empathy to people who are cash strapped.

It doesn't suit me at all. I just accept that the people working there are dealing with a lot, so I am prepared to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Hardly throwing my toys out of the pram...

Well that's good you know your getting your money back. But for many people I'm sure they are not as confident.

And I'm not or have I ever had a go at anyone who is working at Ryanair.
    They have a crap job trying to deal with it all I'm sure.
    I've worked at a call centre myself and know what it's like to some degree.

It's the management of Ryanair overseeing everything that's going on my gripe is with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

Regardless of money, do not fly to Lanzarote or Fuerteventura, both places are locked down. Do not go. Heed this advice.

It doesn't suit me at all. I just accept that the people working there are dealing with a lot, so I am prepared to wait.

Obviously you are calm and chilled about the situation and you are correct that the Ryanair staff are under pressure.

Other people who have bills to pay and Ryanair holding on to a grand of their money are not so relaxed.

Obviously you are calm and chilled about the situation and you are correct that the Ryanair staff are under pressure.

Other people who have bills to pay and Ryanair holding on to a grand of their money are not so relaxed.

Reading this thread it seems if you get up at 4am the refund system works.

Reading this thread it seems if you get up at 4am the refund system works.

I see that.
    A motif for Leo's favorite people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

My flight was cancelled 3 days ago, I found out by logging into the ryanair site.
    I finally got an email tonight ( 3 hours after I got a text to say I have an email)
    This allowed me to apply for a refund.
    Says takes up to 7 days to process

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Not working at 12.50am anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

or 3.30am!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Just submitted for me! Now wait 5-7 days to see if it actually goes through! What a stupidly fortunate glitch for Ryanair that refund process is beyond transparent, accurate or functional. You'd almost think a multi million Euro travel company had deliberately designed it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

spurious wrote: »
    If you are trying at this time of the day you've no chance as there are thousands trying at the same time. Middle of the night your best bet.

Which is still bloody ridiculous. they are also telling people not to call them as too many are. My flights are soon so don't have long to get the refund process done.

They emailed me yesterday about my flights at the end of April offering me the chance to cancel and receive a voucher for the full amount + 10% which I took up. Better than nothing although it won't suit everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tombrown

I am very sympathetic to all the RyanAir workers - having to put up with that boss, low wages and poor conditions and then having to deal with this on top of it, must be very stressful.

But to paint a picture that there is an army of harassed individuals sitting behind the "Refund" button trying to individually process each request under pressure is bizarre. Its an automated system that doesn't work properly - its really really good & efficient at taking money, but there is seemingly a bug, that apparently has been known about for years, that makes it difficult (not impossible) to get money back. This is not a result of stressed workers being inundated with calls, its just software.

If a bug, that made paying for a flight difficult at peak times, had been found, do you honestly think it would still be unaddressed years on?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

But if their online systems worked correctly for refunds, the same as they do for purchases, this would all be automated, and it would not be any additional overhead on their staff.

This issue has existed for at least 4 years, and they've chosen not to fix it.
    It's Ryanair management that are being inconsiderate towards their staff, not their customers who are trying to get the refund they are entitled to.

tombrown wrote: »
    I am very sympathetic to all the RyanAir workers - having to put up with that boss, low wages and poor conditions and then having to deal with this on top of it, must be very stressful.

But to paint a picture that there is an army of harassed individuals sitting behind the "Refund" button trying to individually process each request under pressure is bizarre. Its an automated system that doesn't work properly - its really really good & efficient at taking money, but there is seemingly a bug, that apparently has been known about for years, that makes it difficult (not impossible) to get money back. This is not a result of stressed workers being inundated with calls, its just software.

If a bug, that made paying for a flight difficult at peak times, had been found, do you honestly think it would still be unaddressed years on?

Eir were much the same, very quick to sign people up and take money, loads of channels open, phone, email, shops, house calls, and when you sign the contract straight away you are connected.

But then when there is a problem its impossible to get any support.

I suppose Ryanair are hoping that people with cheap flights just won't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

For context (not that most of ye really need it) regarding refunds, I had three train journeys in France fully reserved and paid for, two trips under one reference, one under another. All three were cancelled for various reasons in the last week. I went online -> "my orders" -> reference N°1 -> choose cancel or exchange -> chose cancel -> "cancel with a full refund - are you sure?" -> click -> ticket ref ### cancelled, amount refunded €€€ -> two days later, €€€ in bank account. Apart from myself, no humans were involved in the process at all. Two of the three tickets were originally sold as "non modifiable, non refundable" and the SNCF site is a pile of sh!yte in many respects, but for all of them, I got a full refund of every centime I'd paid.

There is no technical reason why Ryanair couldn't have a similar system in place, and I agree that they should be excluded from any government support measures until they get this part of their customer service act together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Lucky you. I didnt get the option of a refund or a re-book. I couldnt get through to them despite several attempts.

My flight was due to have landed 10 minutes ago. Silly me for not travelling to a country in lock-down and against the explicit advice of my own government.

But I guess Ryanair will say that it was my choice not to travel.

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Lucky you. I didnt get the option of a refund or a re-book. I couldnt get through to them despite several attempts.

My flight was due to have landed 10 minutes ago. Silly me for not travelling to a country in lock-down and against the explicit advice of my own government.

But I guess Ryanair will say that it was my choice not to travel.

So you want a refund for a flight that went ahead as scheduled.

Can you list all the airlines that are currently offering no quibble refunds for flights that go ahead as scheduled?

I lost out on not taking a flight too, so I am not lucky at all.

I am entitled to a refund for a cancelled flight, but I don't expect anything else as its not Ryanairs fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

I eventually got an email with a specific link for refund, it processed and said it will I think 7 days or so.

Advertisement