Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoronaVirus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,488 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    No, no vaccine, closest to one i've heard of is at least 5 or 6 weeks before we know if there's an effective medicine released...

Then we should be trying to prevent people leaving and entering the country imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Have tickets booked to Milan in July.
    If it were right now I wouldn’t go.

As it stands We will keep an open mind and take the hit if we have to, travel insurance might cover it but I’m not holding out much hope for that.

You’d imagine a non essential travel ban would be a good idea but too many vested interests prevents it happening. If the Irish government went ahead you would be sure Michael OLeary would sue the country for loss of income and given our courts at present I’d think he would win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I'm due to fly to South America over the coming weekend but I connect in the US. My biggest fear would be contracting it here in Dublin or in JFK airport. I have no doubt it is here in Ireland already but its not yet detected, I survived Avian and Swine flu but am susceptible to pneumonia and lung problems. (asthmatic). Also if the virus breaks out here in Ireland whilst I am abroad there is no way I would return until it was safe to do so. My biggest concern at the moment is getting stranded in Argentina or Paraguay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Trip to Malaga booked for May with extended family including 85 year old mother. Not that bothered about catching anything but slightly concerned about being caught up in fast moving travel restrictions and being stuck there.

Then we have 10 days in Veneto and Lombardy (Lake Garda and Bergamo) in August. As of now that is a write off. Long way away though so may well change.
    By then, surely it will either be gone or it will be everywhere, so it wont matter where you are or go.

Work trip to Germany next month already cancelled and wifes work trip to Turin also next month cancelled as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭junebabies

There's no way I would bring any kid or adult for that matter with health issues into crowded or enclosed spaces such as aircraft cabins or airports full of people from all over the world.

Ya that's definitely a big concern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

6541 wrote: »
    I am meant to go to Lanzarote for Paddys week. Dont know what to do.

Not in lanzarote
    Yet .........

We are going there mid June so hope that remains the case

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I think the general advice is that if you're elderly or have weakened immune system, and or underlying health and respiratory issues then you're at a greater risk of suffering a more severe reaction to the virus... So it would be well advised to stay away from areas like large parts of Asia, and affected areas in lockdown in Italy.

Everyone reacts differently to the virus, most healthy people of middle and younger ages will have mild reactions similar to a bad case of the flu, and there's very little evidence of any children in places like Wuhan China having contracted the virus...

Viruses tend to taper off in the summer months so new infections should be almost none, however it may restart again next winter...

If you have health issues and display symptoms of the corona virus while travelling then it would most likely lead to being quarantined...

km79 wrote: »
    Not in lanzarote
    Yet .........

We are going there mid June so hope that remains the case

One case in Tenerife wouldn't be enough reason for me to cancel a holiday which is still 3+ months away... Hopefully no further cases in that time..

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

One case in Lanzarote wouldn't be enough reason for me to cancel a holiday which is still 3+ months away... Hopefully no further cases in that time..

Yeah I’m not worried yet

I am also flying to London in a few weeks
    Hadn’t given it a second thought until I seen the post about a cabin full of strangers
    And now I’m wondering .......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,005 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Due to go to the affected area of Italy in 3 weeks. No fears other than the event I'm going for potentially being cancelled. 7 deaths in Italy, a country of 60 million? I'm not panicking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

One case in Lanzarote wouldn't be enough reason for me to cancel a holiday which is still 3+ months away... Hopefully no further cases in that time..

One case is in Tenerife not Lanzarote

• Registered Users Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭Trampas

The chances are tiny at the moment.

So far, 16,000 people have died and 280,000 people have been hospitalized during the 2019-2020 flu season, according to preliminary estimates in USA at the moment. People still travel to America. Why doesn’t this make the news. Unless you’re in that elderly or poor immune system then just be sensible and you should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Caranica wrote:
    Due to go to the affected area of Italy in 3 weeks. No fears other than the event I'm going for potentially being cancelled. 7 deaths in Italy, a country of 60 million? I'm not panicking

11 deaths now I'm sorry to say.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    11 deaths now I'm sorry to say.

0.00001833333% of the population of Italy. Nope, still not scared.

Not forgetting that the first two deaths were elderly Chinese tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

What percentage of the effected area though? Not much point quoting statistics for unaffected areas imo

Edit:it is worth pointing out that the last 4 that died were in their 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 30,340 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I'm going to Croatia in April and have seen that they have announced their first case of the virus. I will keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse and make a call then on whether or not to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

We are meant to be going to Lake Garda, Verona and Treviso Easter weekend - not looking good at the minute.

We are both young and healthy so don't really have major concerns as such for ourselves, and wouldn't even care about being stranded for a while if it came to it. The main risk that would concern me is potentially bringing something hone and infecting relatives or friends who aren't as healthy.

Will have to play it by ear over the next month...

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    What percentage of the effected area though? Not much point quoting statistics for unaffected areas imo

Edit:it is worth pointing out that the last 4 that died were in their 80s

Still a teeny tiny proportion. I was looking at a breakdown of deaths in South Korea last night and the vast vast majority were elderly and/or had serious underlying health conditions. The type of people that can die from the flu. I don't tick either box so would not be afraid to travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

6541 wrote: »
    I am meant to go to Lanzarote for Paddys week. Dont know what to do.

Supposed to be going to gran canaria. Not paid for the hotel yet ( have till this weekend to cancel with no cost).

Will only be down my flights.

Seriously considering not going.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,847 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Caranica wrote: »
    I think this is now 11, with 19 in critical condition. The numbers are growing pretty quickly

I am due to visit lake Garda in mid April but going to play it by ear, already contacted hotel and they happy to move booking to later in year.

• Advertisement

Padkir wrote: »
    We are meant to be going to Lake Garda, Verona and Treviso Easter weekend - not looking good at the minute.

We are both young and healthy so don't really have major concerns as such for ourselves, and wouldn't even care about being stranded for a while if it came to it. The main risk that would concern me is potentially bringing something hone and infecting relatives or friends who aren't as healthy.

Will have to play it by ear over the next month...
    In exactly the same boat also going to lake Garda in April!

Supposed to be going to gran canaria. Not paid for the hotel yet ( have till this weekend to cancel with no cost).
    Will only be down my flights.
    Seriously considering not going.

Some friends going this Thursday to GC..... The Calima winds would concern me more...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Trampas wrote: »
    The chances are tiny at the moment.

So far, 16,000 people have died and 280,000 people have been hospitalized during the 2019-2020 flu season, according to preliminary estimates in USA at the moment. People still travel to America. Why doesn’t this make the news. Unless you’re in that elderly or poor immune system then just be sensible and you should be ok

I'm assuming it doesn't make the news because flu has a 0.1% mortality rate versus 2-3% for covid and it's very much more contagious.

So there's.... Em that...

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭headtheball14

junebabies wrote: »
    We have until next week to make free amendments on our hotel (which was expensive). I doubt our insurance will cover flight but they weren't overly expensive anyway so not bothered about.

I'm in Europe at the moment . Didn't cross my mind to cancel. However things are definitely quieter out and about. Lots of places closed where I am. Although this time of year is quiet anyway.
    I think in your position I would cancel the hotel. Coming closer to the date if you want to go I don't think you will have any problem get to a good deal on somewhere to stay. Worst case you lose the flights

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭enricoh

Caranica wrote: »
    0.00001833333% of the population of Italy. Nope, still not scared.

Not forgetting that the first two deaths were elderly Chinese tourists.

I wouldn't be scared personally but have to factor in the kids getting it , spreading to my elderly folks when getting home etc etc.
    I wouldn't fly to Italy at the mo as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

I am due to fly to Lanzarote this Saturday...Genuinely no idea what to do now :(

seamusk84 wrote: »
    I am due to fly to Lanzarote this Saturday...Genuinely no idea what to do now :(
    My folks are in Lanzarote they have noticed things a bit quiet out and about. To be honest they seem more concerned about the calima winds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭Trampas

listermint wrote: »
    I'm assuming it doesn't make the news because flu has a 0.1% mortality rate versus 2-3% for covid and it's very much more contagious.

So there's.... Em that...

What 2-3% is that based on?

2,663 deaths in China out of 1.4 billion.

If that was 1.4 million it would be about 2-3% but not billion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Nothing booked for the summer yet. Am holding off for now. Don’t know what advice to give you op other than what others have said etc. For me I’d be worried about being in a place that has a case and ends up being in lock down. You have children to consider also.

• Advertisement

Trampas wrote: »
    What 2-3% is that based on?

2,663 deaths in China out of 1.4 billion.

If that was 1.4 million it would be about 2-3% but not billion
    It's based on the number of people that have caught it and died....not the total population of the country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement