Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoronaVirus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I’m supposed to be going to Tenerife this week, but with the sandstorms and now a confirmed case of coronavirus, I’m having a little wobble about going. Am I mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I’m supposed to be going to Tenerife this week, but with the sandstorms and now a confirmed case of coronavirus, I’m having a little wobble about going. Am I mad?

I'd still go unless the flight was cancelled IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

I am due to fly to Milan in three weeks.

Bought flights with Aer Lingus and Ryanair.

What are my options here? Can I get a refund?

I don’t even know if flights are currently flying in/out of Milan...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    I am due to fly to Milan in three weeks.

Bought flights with Aer Lingus and Ryanair.

What are my options here? Can I get a refund?

I don’t even know if flights are currently flying in/out of Milan...

You'll get a refund if the flights are cancelled. Your travel insurance will probably cover you if the DFA advises against all non essential travel to the area.

Flights are operating pretty much normally in and out of Milan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,524 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I'd still go unless the flight was cancelled IMO.

I agree, I've my flight booked to Malpensa in a couple of weeks.

Latest advice from the UK for those going to Italy:
    There is an ongoing outbreak of coronavirus in China and elsewhere, including Italy. The government of Italy has introduced extraordinary measures that allow regions to implement civil protection measures in response to Coronavirus. This includes the isolation of 10 small towns in Lombardy and one in Veneto. The regions of Lombardy, Veneto, Friuli Venezia Giulia, Piemonte and Emilia Romagna have implemented measures including the suspension of public or private events, the suspension of schools and higher education and the suspension on the opening of museums and cultural institutions for seven days. If you are already in the regions affected you should follow the instructions of local authorities.

• Advertisement

I'm just worried because of the way the hotel guests have been locked down in Costa Adeje. We are only going for a long weekend and I will be caring for a vulnerable person when I get back. My main fear is that we get quarantined and are unable to come home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

I'm just worried because of the way the hotel guests have been locked down in Costa Adeje. We are only going for a long weekend and I will be caring for a vulnerable person when I get back. My main fear is that we get quarantined and are unable to come home.

That's the thing if you went to say Rome, and a case was confirmed while you are there, you will be on lock down.

Will your job give you 14 days extra leave, will your airline get you home for free?

It's very risky to get stuck in a country for that length of time, this is not a missed flight for 24/48 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I'm heading to Tenerife on March 7th, fingers crossed we can still go but I will be keeping a close eye on it.

Fiona wrote: »
    That's the thing if you went to say Rome, and a case was confirmed while you are there, you will be on lock down.

Will your job give you 14 days extra leave, will your airline get you home for free?

It's very risky to get stuck in a country for that length of time, this is not a missed flight for 24/48 hours.

This is kind of what I'm worried about... I'm just not sure what to do.

I'd go by what's on here: https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/spain/

If it's only a long weekend and you absolutely have to be back home on time, then perhaps try cancel your accommodation, or if you've booked through a Travel agent then phone them and ask for a refund of some level.

it's really a judgement call by you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Was planning to go away at easter with the girlfriend, we're both mid 20s. Looking at various places in Europe including italy. Yesterday's news about the outbreak in Northern Italy is quite concerning.. stalling our bookings now.

The chinese government obviously have played this virus down all along. It's now killed 3 europeans inside 48 hours after contracting.

If china could have forgot about their wallet for once and shut down the whole country for 2-3 weeks after first outbreak - no flights, no trains, no boats, it would have been contained. Now how do we know it isn't it several countries in the world?

I don't condone Ryanair CEO's comments over the weekend about selective screening - but let's be honest.

Shouldn't airports take extra precautions on people of Asian descent passing through right now?

You clearly do "condone" Ryanair CEO's comments.

What a stupid post.

How would you enforce your plan?

Stop all Asians? Indians? Bangladeshis? Filipinas? Thais? Malaysians? Vietnamese? Pakistanis?

Or would you just target Chinese looking people? What about people who look Chinese but aren't? Can you tell the difference between Chinese and all other "Asians"? What about people who have Chinese parents but have never even been to China? Would you stop them because they look Chinese?

And what's your cunning plan for extra precautions? Spray them? Quarantine them? Send them back to where they came from?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

You clearly do "condone" Ryanair CEO's comments.

What a stupid post.

How would you enforce your plan?

Stop all Asians? Indians? Bangladeshis? Filipinas? Thais? Malaysians? Vietnamese? Pakistanis?

Or would you just target Chinese looking people? What about people who look Chinese but aren't? Can you tell the difference between Chinese and all other "Asians"? What about people who have Chinese parents but have never even been to China? Would you stop them because they look Chinese?

And what's your cunning plan for extra precautions? Spray them? Quarantine them? Send them back to where they came from?

:rolleyes:

Was in Vietnam last week lots of asians look a like hard to tell who is from where best avoid getting to close and wash those hands before you touch your face dont touch surfaces, after check in when you get your passport back, wash hands.
    Airline may cancel return flights if there is a sudden outbreak any where.
    or if you are in an area you could be in forced quarantine.
    check ur insurance covers any medical related to the virus.
    Local airline staff are wearing face masks might look a bit strange at first.
    Face masks offer little protection but if someone infected or feels unwell it will reduce a chance of spreading.

My Dad is seriously thinking about postponing his trip to Vietnam in a few weeks. Pity, but he doesn't like the idea, and he's in his 70s, so I told him to move the flights in a week or so depending on how things play out.

Official figures are 16 had it and 16 recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭junebabies

Honest opinions how do you feel about travelling in Europe now?. We are ment to go to Paris in 5 weeks time. With all the latest outbreaks of this virus I'm genuinely getting worried. Catching the virus aside there is the issue if someone in our hotel catching it and us been left in lockdown/quarantine for 2 weeks.
    I have 2 kids also so not just myself to worry about. One of the kids as additional health issues tho she is very well at the moment.
    We have until next week to make free amendments on our hotel (which was expensive). I doubt our insurance will cover flight but they weren't overly expensive anyway so not bothered about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

5 weeks time is plenty of time for watching the situation evolve.
    Do follow French media (many have English language versions) to get local info in the meantime.

France is not carrying out many tests - so the number of cases is low.
    There were two new reported cases today, one is "a woman in Paris who has recently returned from China".
    https://www.thelocal.fr/20200225/latest-two-new-cases-of-coronavirus-in-france-including-man-recently-returned-from-italy

This article states that an average of 1000 passengers arrive in Charles de Gaulle airport from China, daily.
    https://www.francetvinfo.fr/sante/maladie/coronavirus/coronavirus-covid-19-qu-en-est-il-des-liaisons-aeriennes-entre-la-france-la-chine-et-l-italie_3841127.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The numbers are miniscule.
    I will be off to Spain end of next month. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ktsul

It is worrying. Look how fast it's spreading from Italy/Tenerife. I'm travelling to USA in May and it's on my mind what could happen. I have a compromised immune system ....

junebabies wrote: »
    I have 2 kids also so not just myself to worry about. One of the kids as additional health issues tho she is very well at the moment..

There's no way I would bring any kid or adult for that matter with health issues into crowded or enclosed spaces such as aircraft cabins or airports full of people from all over the world.

ktsul wrote: »
    I have a compromised immune system ....

I'd check with your doctor, but again I would not travel with a compromised immune system until the virus cases are contained or gone completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I wouldn't go to the affected area of italy but thats about it as things currently stand. The situation is very serious and may get more serious but there's a lot of scare mongering around thanks to social media and a lot of people who are simply too dumb to sort the good info from the nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

ktsul wrote: »
    It is worrying. Look how fast it's spreading from Italy/Tenerife. I'm travelling to USA in May and it's on my mind what could happen. I have a compromised immune system ....

That’s prob too risky imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭satguy

Spain and the canary islands, is the worst place that can catch it,, from there the whole of of Europe might catch it, because of so much travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,569 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Is there a vaccination against this virus?
    If there is we should be getting it before it gets here because it surely will.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

We're heading to Peru in a month. No cases so far in South America but a month is a long time for this virus. We'd have to travel to the UK first anyway. Holiday has been paid for and insurance won't pay out unless government advises against. I'd imagine we'll be leaving the decision until the last minute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Situation is very volatile at the moment. I'm heading to Nice very soon, beginning to think twice about it now as the affected areas in Italy are not that far away. It's a case of check the local news every day and make a decision day before travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    We're heading to Peru in a month. No cases so far in South America but a month is a long time for this virus. We'd have to travel to the UK first anyway. Holiday has been paid for and insurance won't pay out unless government advises against. I'd imagine we'll be leaving the decision until the last minute

It hasn't spread to south america (or much of southern hemisphere) because its summer there and viruses prefer winter like conditions, people have weakened immune systems in winter etc. So you should be ok but you'll just have to wait and see.

As regards people with other trips in 5 - 6 weeks its too early to make a call one way or the other. This virus will (hopefully) be mostly gone from europe by May / June as summer weather kicks in.

There's no vaccine yet, won't be until autumn at least.

Is there a vaccination against this virus?
    If there is we should be getting it before it gets here because it surely will.

No, no vaccine, closest to one i've heard of is at least 5 or 6 weeks before we know if there's an effective medicine released...

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

Book a holiday every year around this time , but this year I am holding off booking until things are a bit clearer even pondering the notion of a staycation !

If I had a holiday booked and had a cancellation option I would cancel personally , I’m perfectly healthy but I wouldn’t like to bring a virus into the home or to any relatives no matter how minuscule the risk , I do think another week or 2 might make things a bit clearer of where we are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

I am meant to go to Lanzarote for Paddys week. Dont know what to do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement