Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great Railway Journeys on CIE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

tabbey wrote: »
    However the line is a scenic jewel in IR's crown. With pleasant trains, a reasonable timetable and fair fares, it could be a moderately good revenue earner in it's own right, and a public relations boost for IR in general.

It probably wouldn't (be a revenue earner). Those most likely to use it would be those with most time on their hands, i.e. retired, who travel for free.

Maybe fare paying retired tourists would use it though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,139 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

n97 mini wrote: »
    It probably wouldn't (be a revenue earner). Those most likely to use it would be those with most time on their hands, i.e. retired, who travel for free.

Maybe fare paying retired tourists would use it though?

the evening down services and the first early morning service are used by a lot of long distance commuter/worker traffic.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Best Station Awards

Further to my post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101656843&postcount=32

I can confirm that today the box and leaflets are still outside the counter at Enniscorthy and the closing date was the 31st October. Incidentally, you can still vote here too: http://www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/station-awards-voting

While it could be argued that CIE have more important things to concern themselves with, it is symptomatic of their slap dash attention to detail. Still NO timetable leaflets - shure why would anybody want them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Incidentally, you can still vote here too: http://www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/station-awards-voting
    Flood the voting with votes for Cloughjordan, may as well win an award before they shut it :pac:

man98 wrote: »
    Flood the voting with votes for Cloughjordan, may as well win an award before they shut it :pac:

Mine went to Wellingtonbridge - has done every year since they closed it. :D

Wellingtonbridge must have been removed - I remember they blocked some of the people that voted for it in 2011 from voting again - it really is a lovely station. Busy, too. The last time I was there I saw a rabbit on the platform :D .

Wellingtonbridge must have been removed - I remember they blocked some of the people that voted for it in 2011 from voting again - it really is a lovely station. Busy, too. The last time I was there I saw a rabbit on the platform :D .

Ah yes, it's removed online, but you can use a form like I have done several times recently while waiting in Enniscorthy station. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Quackster wrote: »
    Of all the lines into Dublin, the Rosslare line is the most constrained in terms of capacity and what can be done to increase that capacity.

IE clearly want to focus that limited capacity on much more lucrative DART/commuter services which is why we are where we are. That constraint doesn't exist in/out of Heuston.

It's pointless attacking IE for acting in their economic best-interests. The focus should be on the government and their level of subvention of rail.

yes the strategic rail review suggested that 8 services each way be provided and all with intercity style trains

gorey is the next commuter town and wexford not fair behind, it would be very shortsighted to run down the wexford line ( rosslare is a no hoper )
    shortsighted , oh wait its CIE/IE/IR a company with perfectly good Mk3s and 201 rotting away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I have to say I'm more of a Campile man me self

Paddy O'Gorman is on the Rosslare Express on the Sean O'Rourke Show RTE1 this morning.

Another day, another train trip albeit a very short one.

Enniscorthy/Wexford/Enniscorthy.

11.40 ex. Enniscorthy

A beautiful sunny morning for a trip along arguably the most beautiful section of the whole Dublin/Rosslare Harbour route. A handful of passengers on in Enniscorthy and a larger handful off.

Image%2B-%2BCopy.jpg

The fare - an incredible €11.95 for a Day Return - the bus is only €8 but completely unreliable when you have to be somewhere at a set time. Add in the delights of standing about at the "Bus Stop Shop" and the train wins hands down. CIE make NO attempt to market the train and many in the town would be hard pushed to tell you where the station is. The train is not exactly crowded in the Down direction at 11.40 - so why not try and fill it up by offering or undercutting Bus Eireann and Wexford Bus.

Back on the 13.20 ex.Wexford - plenty of custom. Scenery still beautiful my attention turned back to the state of the ICR which, like several that I have been on recently, could benefit from a deep clean.

More thrilling stories when I go 'trekking' before Christmas. :D

I was thinking that if the Rosslare line was to be closed after Gorey it wouldn't be a bad idea to extend the Dart as far as Gorey. Run a Dart to Gorey hourly if a 10 minute frequency was to be you could even have it skip out certain stations.

• Advertisement

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I was thinking that if the Rosslare line was to be closed after Gorey it wouldn't be a bad idea to extend the Dart as far as Gorey. Run a Dart to Gorey hourly if a 10 minute frequency was to be you could even have it skip out certain stations.

if south of Gorey were to shut they would just continue with the service as currently offered until they could shut south of greystones which they would do at the first possible opportunity. they're will never be a dart to Gorey i'm afraid.

if south of Gorey were to shut they would just continue with the service as currently offered until they could shut south of greystones which they would do at the first possible opportunity. they're will never be a dart to Gorey i'm afraid.

Tbh if they were going shut southe of Gorey then they may shut south of Greystones. I know it's never going to happen even a Dart service as far as Arklow wouldn't be an awful idea either.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Tbh if they were going shut southe of Gorey then they may shut south of Greystones. I know it's never going to happen even a Dart service as far as Arklow wouldn't be an awful idea either.

oh don't get me wrong i would be jumping for joy if the line was electrified at least to arklow but it's just not going to happen. i have often thought myself that when they do go to shut it they will just go for the lot and i wouldn't rule it out but i think more likely they would do it in parts. rosslare wexford, wexford Gorey, Gorey greystones.

Paddy O'Gorman is on the Rosslare Express on the Sean O'Rourke Show RTE1 this morning.

According to Sean O'Rourke this item didn't happen but will be on this morning...don't hold your breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Another day, another train trip albeit a very short one.

Enniscorthy/Wexford/Enniscorthy.

11.40 ex. Enniscorthy

A beautiful sunny morning for a trip along arguably the most beautiful section of the whole Dublin/Rosslare Harbour route. A handful of passengers on in Enniscorthy and a larger handful off.

Image%2B-%2BCopy.jpg

The fare - an incredible €11.95 for a Day Return - the bus is only €8 but completely unreliable when you have to be somewhere at a set time. Add in the delights of standing about at the "Bus Stop Shop" and the train wins hands down. CIE make NO attempt to market the train and many in the town would be hard pushed to tell you where the station is. The train is not exactly crowded in the Down direction at 11.40 - so why not try and fill it up by offering or undercutting Bus Eireann and Wexford Bus.

Back on the 13.20 ex.Wexford - plenty of custom. Scenery still beautiful my attention turned back to the state of the ICR which, like several that I have been on recently, could benefit from a deep clean.

More thrilling stories when I go 'trekking' before Christmas. :D

Short hops on intercity have crazy fares. It's like they are priced to prevent short hops. Limerick Junction to Thurles is €15 day return and the journey time is 20 minutes. It's madness.

• Advertisement

Paddy O'Gorman's has just been on and was a typical RTE piece which allowed him to ramble off into subjects such as community relations in NI, 1798 and watching GAA games through a hedge. :rolleyes:

Paddy, of course, travelled on the morning Down train from Connolly and was surprised to find it full of OAPs - what did he expect on that particular train? Same on the return working i.e. not at a time when a younger demographic (working people) would have been on the train. Also, research conducted in November is pointless as the whole tourist market is not taken into account.

That said, all those he interviewed brought home the point that all these OAPs roaming aimlessly about the country (according to some) are spending money in all those places that they visit. This line won't close - this time - and Ballybrophy/Limerick will probably offered up as the sacrificial lamb in return for a few more million increase in the subsidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭h.gricer

All this talk about closing Gorey to Rosslare, it's all a game with smoke and mirrors, they always add a little more than what they actually want.
    I don't think they'll close Gorey to Wexford, they have been preparing Wexford to be a terminus, they want to definitely close Wexford to Rosslare for a lot of reasons, eliminate the 5mph along Wexford Quay and not having to worry about coastal erosion near Kilrane, so they'll say ''we'll keep Gorey to Wexford and close Wexford to Rosslare'' and that will be the compromise, it's all a game at the end of the day.
    Regards
    h.gricer

the thing is that ultimately both of those issues either
    1. exist elsewhere in terms of coastal erosion,
    or
    2. are a non issue in terms of the 5mph along wexford quay.
    granted they would be used as an excuse to close south of wexford which they will succeed in before moving on to south of gorey which i will never be convinced they won't get to shut and rip up eventually.

The 5mph limit on the quays is routinely wheeled out by CIE, and their fanboys, as a reason to close this section and is laughable in the overall timings on the route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

The 5mph limit on the quays is routinely wheeled out by CIE, and their fanboys, as a reason to close this section and is laughable in the overall timings on the route.

Since the quay was widened, there is no reason why the rail line could not be segregated from pedestrians and road vehicles. Rail speed limit could then be raised to at least 20 mph or 30 km/h.

Since the quay was widened, there is no reason why the rail line could not be segregated from pedestrians and road vehicles. Rail speed limit could then be raised to at least 20 mph or 30 km/h.

But it doesn't need to be.

But it doesn't need to be.

it would be worth pushing for it to be done though. well in an ideal world anyway.

Caught the 11.42 Enniscorthy/Wexford this morning - an ICR set and quite a few waiting for the train.

€11.95 for my adult day return as against €27.70 for an Enniscorthy/Connolly day return represents shocking value for the short journey. The unreliable bus service is only €8.00! Why are local journey passengers subsidising long distance passengers? Would it not make sense to market local journeys at cheap rates to increase revenue?

WEXFORD.jpg

Above: plenty of traffic on offer at Wexford for the lunchtime Up working from Wexford - not that many of them were OAPs - contrary to what some on here would have you believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Limerick to Galway would be cheaper!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Isambard wrote: »
    Limerick to Galway would be cheaper!

Booked Limerick/Galway last December for only €15 return. Wanted to see what it was actually like for myself.

But sure the line flooded and ended up taking the super-efficient non-stop Bus Eireann service instead. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Used the line from Wexford to Dublin yesterday. There was a good crowd on the train from Wexford (0720 service); the carriage was quite full by Arklow. Delayed at Greystones to wait for the delayed DART service. Returned on the 1838 service. DARTs were all delayed. The commuter service running before us was 15 minutes late although we only left 2 minutes late. Due to the DART's delay we were caught at 4 red signals between Connolly and Dun Laoghaire. The train was running around 15 - 20 minutes late through Wicklow though it was only 10 late by the time I arrived in Wexford. I saw the reliability stats for the DART last month - a 73% on-time service. IÉ need to shake up the timetable in response to the PPT opening - a large proportion of peak trains out of Connolly were heavily delayed yesterday and I have heard very similar stories over the last few weeks since the PPT's opening to passenger traffic.

On a side note, I was talking to someone I knew on the platform in Connolly - he told me he arrived for the lunchtime to service to Rosslare; saw that it was a 29k so he left and decided to take the evening service instead as it's almost guaranteed to be the ICR.

Returned on the 1838 service. DARTs were all delayed. The commuter service running before us was 15 minutes late although we only left 2 minutes late. Due to the DART's delay we were caught at 4 red signals between Connolly and Dun Laoghaire. The train was running around 15 - 20 minutes late through Wicklow though it was only 10 late by the time I arrived in Wexford. I saw the reliability stats for the DART last month - a 73% on-time service

If it arrived at it's destination only ten minutes late, Irish Rail will claim it as a punctual train.

To most of us, it is late, but we don't publish the punctuality statistics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

More padding than a Wonderbra!

If it arrived at it's destination only ten minutes late, Irish Rail will claim it as a punctual train.

The fact that it takes longer than a bus or car in the first place is all that matters for most passengers to be frank.

Continuing with my exciting tales of rail journeys - temporarily restricted to the Dublin/Rosslare line.

Sunday 12th Feb. Enniscorthy/Bray by the 14.20 ex.Rosslare - uneventful. Onward from Bray to Connolly on a DART with no heating...

Faced with time to kill in Connolly, and having experienced the cold of the main course the previous weekend, I opted to try "Madigan's" uninviting looking hostelry. The concourse was almost warmer and the place has the atmosphere and decor of a morgue. Still, a pint of Hop House 13 and a bag of stale crisps filled half an hour and I headed back to Platform 5 at 18.00 expecting to board the 18.30 for Rosslare as I had done the previous weekend. Sadly, consistency is not one of CIE's strong points and the small number of passengers were kept waiting to board until 18.18 despite the set being at the platform with lights on and engines roaring away since at least 18.00!

Just to rub salt in the wounds the caring, bilingual welcoming pa system on the 22000s was in overdrive before we even left Connolly. CIE myth and reality. An uneventful journey home in a heat-less carriage.

Continuing with my exciting tales of rail journeys - temporarily restricted to the Dublin/Rosslare line.

Sunday 12th Feb. Enniscorthy/Bray by the 14.20 ex.Rosslare - uneventful. Onward from Bray to Connolly on a DART with no heating...

train failure i presume. any idea what happened?
    Faced with time to kill in Connolly, and having experienced the cold of the main course the previous weekend, I opted to try "Madigan's" uninviting looking hostelry. The concourse was almost warmer and the place has the atmosphere and decor of a morgue.

ah, no change there then with Madigan's. still though, the drink was fine any time i went in there so i let the atmosphere and decor go.
    Still, a pint of Hop House 13 and a bag of stale crisps filled half an hour and I headed back to Platform 5 at 18.00 expecting to board the 18.30 for Rosslare as I had done the previous weekend. Sadly, consistency is not one of CIE's strong points and the small number of passengers were kept waiting to board until 18.18 despite the set being at the platform with lights on and engines roaring away since at least 18.00!

Just to rub salt in the wounds the caring, bilingual welcoming pa system on the 22000s was in overdrive before we even left Connolly. CIE myth and reality. An uneventful journey home in a heat-less carriage.

CIE don't do heat on the rosslare line. until summer time when the train is like an oven with the heating on full blast. you seemed to have got away without having to endure 2900 rattle traps though which is some bit of good, all be it not enough to outweigh quite frankly a rubbish sounding day out

same here. it isn't the most inviting of places though, but it does what it is expected to do, serve drink.

• Advertisement

same here. it isn't the most inviting of places though, but it does what it is expected to do, serve drink.

It serves drink, but badly run as the old buffet was, it was a family friendly place in which people could have a meal or a cup of tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Irish rail do not set the parameters for the punctuality stats the NTA do.

Irish rail do not set the parameters for the punctuality stats the NTA do.

yes but IE were at the same nonsense before the NTA came into being so that excuse doesn't wash i'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

yes but IE were at the same nonsense before the NTA came into being so that excuse doesn't wash i'm afraid.

It's not an excuse most rail company's worldwide use the same method.

It's not an excuse most rail company's worldwide use the same method.

Just because other companies do it, does not excuse NTA / IR being economical with the truth.

If Amtrak disregard ten minutes in the context of an 18 hour overnight journey, I can forgive them, but 10 minutes is more significant in relation to a couple of hours from Limerick or Waterford, and even more so for a person commuting from Kildare.

From the Wexford Echo 14/2/2017
    http://www.wexfordecho.ie/2017/02/14/is-demand-for-ferry-trains-insufficient/

AS A threat to its continued existence hangs over the Dublin – Rosslare rail route, a spokesperson for Irish Rail has described how the advent of low-cost airlines greatly hampered demand for foot passenger rail connections between the Europort and Ireland’s capital city.

Demand among ferry passengers for a ‘sail and rail’ option is, Barry Kenny described, “extremely low.”

The spokesperson was commenting in response to queries regarding the apparent lack of synchronization between rail service schedules and the arrival and departure time of ferries at the port.

At present, two rail services departing Rosslare in the morning and evening, respectively, do so shortly before ferries are scheduled to arrive in the port.
    A situation which sees trains depart Rosslare hours before and after ferries are scheduled to arrive into the port on another two occasions during the day, meanwhile, has drawn into question the necessity of such offerings.

According to Mr. Kenny, Irish Rail “review schedules regularly and monitor demand to establish the best timetables to offer our customers.”

• Advertisement

From the Wexford Echo 14/2/2017
    http://www.wexfordecho.ie/2017/02/14/is-demand-for-ferry-trains-insufficient/

AS A threat to its continued existence hangs over the Dublin – Rosslare rail route, a spokesperson for Irish Rail has described how the advent of low-cost airlines greatly hampered demand for foot passenger rail connections between the Europort and Ireland’s capital city.

Demand among ferry passengers for a ‘sail and rail’ option is, Barry Kenny described, “extremely low.”

The spokesperson was commenting in response to queries regarding the apparent lack of synchronization between rail service schedules and the arrival and departure time of ferries at the port.

At present, two rail services departing Rosslare in the morning and evening, respectively, do so shortly before ferries are scheduled to arrive in the port.
    A situation which sees trains depart Rosslare hours before and after ferries are scheduled to arrive into the port on another two occasions during the day, meanwhile, has drawn into question the necessity of such offerings.

According to Mr. Kenny, Irish Rail “review schedules regularly and monitor demand to establish the best timetables to offer our customers.”

sure they do all right. does Barry Kenny honestly think people still believe his bs? mind you some of us never did. the funny thing is nobody has ever disputed traffic numbers from the boat have fallen, at any stage. however, the fact they cannot be bothered to improve the services for the towns of wexford, enniscorthy, gorey, arklow and so on is nothing to do with foot passengers from rosslare. the fact they can't even come up with an excuse for that and have to use rosslare as the excuse says it all. also, dispite the lowish boat traffic there was absolutely no excuse what so ever for the deliberate disintegration of the connection between the train and ferry terminal. dubious actions on dubious reasoning as far as i'm concerned and i won't be convinced otherwise.

Sail Rail patronage isn't going to be great if you go out of your way to schedule the trains conflictingly with the ships. The service is a nice revenue earner for Arriva out of Fishguard - whenever I use it there's at least 20 using it (admittedly not very often). IÉ once again showing their greatness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I also have no smart phone.

Several months ago, I asked in Connolly about timetable leaflets, I was told that new ones would be available in "about two weeks".

Last week I was in France, and there were no timetable leaflets in most stations. Last year, I was there in October, and the timetable racks were full for every route, perhaps they were revised each October.
    My main fear is that CIE and SNCF may be discontinuing these leaflets, about six years after CIE dropped the network booklet.

Whatever about Irish Rail timetables on their website, SNCF is a disaster, DB was better for French rail services.
    There is no substitute for a proper timetable, preferably on paper.

Given that you've been able to access boards.ie, I dare say that you can now access the timetable online? Time moves on. Paper timetables are, realistically, a thing of the past and are a waste..when the information can be accessed electronically...
    Even if you don't have a smart phone, you might have a phone with a camera to take a pic of the relevant web page?

exaisle wrote: »
    Given that you've been able to access boards.ie, I dare say that you can now access the timetable online? Time moves on. Paper timetables are, realistically, a thing of the past and are a waste..when the information can be accessed electronically...
    Even if you don't have a smart phone, you might have a phone with a camera to take a pic of the relevant web page?

Yes, yes, but even if everyone wanted to exclusively view timetables online it is idiocy on the part of CIE not to have a pocket sized timetable in which to advertise all their services. Anyway, your post is rubbish.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Yes, yes, but even if everyone wanted to exclusively view timetables online it is idiocy on the part of CIE not to have a pocket sized timetable in which to advertise all their services. Anyway, your post is rubbish.

Despite the fact I don't agree with him (some basic print timetables should be available) I can see where he's coming from and I really don't see how you can constructively call his post rubbish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement