Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Yes. Don't know how many series are up though.

First 4 of the 5 seasons (to date) of Line Of Duty are on there

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I, Tonya is leaving on August 22nd, if anyone's got it on their watch list

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    No daily update from peteeeed, I think that's a first

His posts are great here

there was nothing to update :)

High Score season 1
    https://slate.com/culture/2020/08/high-score-review-netflix-video-games-documentary.html
    This docuseries traces the history of classic video games, featuring insights from the innovators who brought these worlds and characters to life.

Million Pound Menu season 2
    Next-gen restaurateurs get the chance to open their own pop-up eateries to impress the paying public -- and a panel of discerning U.K. investors.

DeMarcus Family Rules season 1
    Rascal Flatts bassist Jay DeMarcus and ex-beauty queen Allison DeMarcus write their own rules for juggling family and fun in this reality show

added

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

Watched a bit of call my agent, the actress who plays Andrea is the head off Sean Penn! :)

• Advertisement

Netflix is releasing a shuffle play button to a few users at the moment

https://twitter.com/turnerlevison/status/1295543859141844992?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Porthallian

peteeeed wrote: »

I can imagine it now.
    Can't decide what to watch. Try the new shuffle button.
    "Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

peteeeed wrote: »

I got that a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 19,530 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Surely it should at least let you shuffle from specific genres, this is like if Spotify's shuffle included podcasts and audiobooks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,005 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I really wish they'd introduce folders, even tick boxes, for "already watched" and "hell no". There's things I'll never watch and stuff I've started and ditched (or films I've watched through) that I start watching again unintentionally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Caranica wrote: »
    I really wish they'd introduce folders, even tick boxes, for "already watched" and "hell no". There's things I'll never watch and stuff I've started and ditched (or films I've watched through) that I start watching again unintentionally

The "watch again" section drives me up the wall:(

Who wants to watch a film that they've only watch in last couple of nights.

Must be 10 years running in Ireland, surely they can sort abetter UI by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I can imagine it now.
    Can't decide what to watch. Try the new shuffle button.
    "Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that."

Like the virtual assistant they had a year or two back (maybe several more) who'd give you a load of suggestions that you wouldn't end up picking any from.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Like the virtual assistant they had a year or two back (maybe several more) who'd give you a load of suggestions that you wouldn't end up picking any from.

For such a global application their UI really is pretty poor. I used to laugh at the "Because you watched" feature regularly. It just seemed completely random.
    You watched Breaking Bad, we suggest Peppa Pig.

Do you guys regularly thumbs up or thumbs down things you've watched? I find since I started doing that on everything I've seen that the recommendations are much more relevant to my tastes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Watching the Fall, it’s very good, never watched it when it was on tv. Never thought Jamie Dornan was a good actor but I was basing that on his performance in Fifty Shades and the film he did with Cillian Murphy but my opinion has been changed, he is pretty good in this.

Biohackers season 1
    A medical student enters a top German university on a secret mission to uncover a conspiracy linking a family tragedy to a visionary biology professor.

The Crimes That Bind (Argentinian)
    Share: WhatsAppTelegram When her son is accused of raping and trying to murder his ex-wife, Alicia embarks on a journey that will change her life forever.

Goedam (Korean) season 1
    When night falls on the city, shadows and spirits come alive in this horror anthology series centered on urban legends.

Good Kisser
    Hoping to give their relationship a boost, Jenna and Kate arrange to spend an evening with a third woman, but things take a turn once the sparks fly.

After The Wedding
    o aid the orphanage in India she manages, Isabel travels to New York to accept a grant from millionaire Theresa, who's specifically asked to meet he
    Great Pretender season 1
    Supposedly Japan's greatest swindler, Makoto Edamura gets more than he bargained for when he tries to con Laurent Thierry, a real world-class crook.

Inconceivable
    A couple trying to conceive invite a woman with a mysterious past to move in with them. But it's an invitation they might come to regret.

John Was Trying to Contact Aliens
    A rural electronics whiz broadcasts radio signals into space and monitors for signs of aliens, but makes a more important connection here on Earth.

Psychopath with Piers Morgan (with could be taken out of that title)
    Through a thick glass barrier, the journalist interviews Paris Bennett, who, at 13, killed his four-year-old sister, and is soon eligible for parole.

Confessions of a Serial Killer with Piers Morgan
    Piers Morgan travels to Florida to sit down with Bernard Giles, who is serving a life sentence for killing five women over three months in 1973.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Do you guys regularly thumbs up or thumbs down things you've watched? I find since I started doing that on everything I've seen that the recommendations are much more relevant to my tastes

I agree Elmo, I always use the rating function and find that the recommendations have gotten better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I always have after they switched from ratings. I don't find the suggestions all that good. They're a mixed bag. It would be good if, as another poster suggested, there was a way of saying "never suggest this to me" so we don't see so much repeated and new content gets unearthed easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭boccy23

Watching White Collar at the moment. Very good show. Able to watch it a family which is rare in this age.

It's a bit like The Blacklist but a bit lighter.

Reminds me of the old US 1 hour shows I watched as a kid myself.

The wife likes it as there is a good bit of eye candy for her as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I always have after they switched from ratings. I don't find the suggestions all that good. They're a mixed bag. It would be good if, as another poster suggested, there was a way of saying "never suggest this to me" so we don't see so much repeated and new content gets unearthed easier.

Have you tried giving thumbs down rating to the things you don't want suggested?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Have you tried giving thumbs down rating to the things you don't want suggested?

Not sure. I've definitely given thumbs down to content I've watched and not liked. I generally won't thumbs down something I haven't seen even if I'm not likely to watch it; I don't feel that that's correct or fair. I've been surprised by what I've liked before!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Sometimes I don't know whether to give a movie a thumbs up or down. If it was say a 5/10, I probably wouldn't watch it again, but I may watch something similar. Dilemma!

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Not sure. I've definitely given thumbs down to content I've watched and not liked. I generally won't thumbs down something I haven't seen even if I'm not likely to watch it; I don't feel that that's correct or fair. I've been surprised by what I've liked before!

Fair to who? No one sees your ratings but you, you can still watch it and change your mind but giving it a temporary thumbs down might take it out of your suggestions.

VonLuck wrote: »
    Sometimes I don't know whether to give a movie a thumbs up or down. If it was say a 5/10, I probably wouldn't watch it again, but I may watch something similar. Dilemma!

Same, I much preferred the old five star system but I guess the thumbs/down is an easier algorithm maybe.

Coming in September
    N=Netflix original

September 1st
    Adrift (2018) – Biopic starring Sam Claflin and Shailene Woodley about a story of survival of a couple who get caught in a hurricane.
    Anaconda (1997) – 90s horror flick where a National Geographic filming crew gets taken hostage.
    Back to the Future Trilogy – All three Back to the Future movies return once again to Netflix US.
    Barbershop (2002) – Comedy set in a Chicago barbershop.
    Bookmarks: Celebrating Black Voices (Season 1) N – Preschool series retelling Black stories.
    Blue Exorcist (Season 2) – New episodes of the excellent anime series.
    Borgen (Seasons 1-3) – The excellent Danish political thriller finally joins Netflix ahead of season 4 due out on Netflix in the next couple of years.
    Coneheads (1997) – Comedy movie based on the SNL skit.
    Due Date (2010) – Todd Phillips directs this comedy starring Robert Downey Jr and Zach Galifianakis.
    Grease (1978) – The timeless musical featuring John Travolta.
    Erased (Season 1) – Anime set in the 1980s where a boy travels back in time to help save his class mates.
    Fate/Grand Order -First Order- (2020) – Anime movie about a new recruit sent back in time to save the future.
    Felipe Esparza: Bad Decisions / Malas Decisiones (2020) N – Two stand-up specials, one presented in English and one in Spanish.
    H (Multiple Seasons) – French ensemble comedy set in a hospital.
    Heidi (Season 2) – More animated adventures up in the mountains with Hedi.
    Magic Mike (2012) – Steven Soderbergh’s comedy featuring Channing Tatum about a male stripper teaching the tricks of the trade.
    Muppet’s Most Wanted (2014) – Disney’s big Muppet movie starring Ricky Gervais, Ty Burrell and Tina Fey.
    Not Another Teen Movie (2001) – Chris Evans comedy that combines every high school comedy that comes before it.
    Pineapple Express (2008) – Seth Rogen comedy directed by David Gordon Green.
    Possession (1981) – Classic horror movie from Andrzej Zulawski.
    Puss in Boots (2011) – Dreamworks spin-off of Puss in Boots who was a regular in Shrek.
    Sex Drive (2008) – Sean Anders comedy about a high school senior driving cross-country to meet a girl he met online.
    Sister Sister (Seasons 1 to 6) – UPN classic 90s comedy sitcom series created by Kimm Bass and Gary Gilbert about twins separated at birth.
    The Boss Baby: Get That Baby! (Interactive Special) N – Dreamworks interactive spinoff of the Boss Baby franchise giving you the opportunity to work at Baby Corp.
    The Promised Neverland (Season 1) – Anime series.
    The Smurfs (2011) – The live-action first reboot of the classic children’s cartoon from Sony Pictures.
    Thomas & Friends (Season 24) – More animated adventures with Thomas the Tank Engine.
    True: Friendship Day (2020) N – Another kids animated special set in the True world.

September 2nd
    Chef’s Table: BBQ (Season 1) N – A new spin-off for Chef’s Table that looks at the world of BBQ.
    Freaks – You’re One of Us (2020) N – German superhero movie about a fry cook discovering she has power.

September 3rd
    Love, Garaunteed (2020) N – Rachael Leigh Cook and Damon Wayans Jr. star in this new romantic comedy.
    Young Wallander (Season 1) N – Newly graduated police officer finds himself embroiled in grisly cases. Based on the Swedish and British series Wallander.

September 4th
    Away (Season 1) N – New sci-fi series featuring Hillary Swank.
    I’m Thinking of Ending Things (2020) N – Charlie Kaufman writes and directs this new drama adapted from the novel featuring Jesse Plemons.

Spirit Riding Free: Riding Academy (Part 2) N – Next set of adventures from Dreamworks.
    take me home tonight 2020 september us

Take Me Home Tonight (2011) – Set in the 1980s, this romantic comedy is set four years after graduation students meet up with one hoping to make a move on his high school crush.

September 6th
    Undercover (Season 2) N – Dutch crime drama series that aired to stunning reviews earlier in the year.

September 7th
    Midnight Special (2016) -Sci-fi thriller about a boy displaying superhero powers and a father’s attempts to keep him safe from the authorities.

My Octopus Teacher (2020) N – Investigative documentary looking into a man and his relationship with an octopus.
    Transformers: Cyberverse (Season 2) – More adventures with the Autobots.

September 8th
    StarBeam (Season 2) N – Second season of the animated children’s series.

September 9th
    Cuties (2020) N – Movie following a young girl named Amy who defies her families tradition to become part of a twerking dance crew.

Get Organized with The Home Edit (Season 1) N – Reese Witherspoon produced Netflix series giving homes much needed makeovers.
    La Linea: Shadow of Narco (Season 1) N – Docu-series looking into the Spanish beach town turned into Europes deadliest drug trafficking hub.

September 10th
    Greenleaf (Season 5) – The fifth and final season of the OWN show about a megachurch and the family that runs it.
    Julie and the Phantoms (Season 1) N – Family musical series about a girl trying to rebuild a teen boy band.
    The Babysitter: Killer Queen (2020) N – Sequel to The Babysitter directed once again by McG.
    The Gift (Atiye) (Season 2) N – Return of the Turkish supernatural series.
    The Indhun Chronicles (Season 1) N – Spanish made anime series.

September 11th
    Family Business (Season 2) N – French comedy about a family that’s at the top of their game selling grass.
    Girlfriends (Multiple Seasons) – Comedy sitcom series that follows four different women.
    How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014) – The second Dreamworks movie with Hiccup and Toothless.
    Pets United (2020) N – Animated feature about a dog and a cat joining forces to defeat the mayor and his lethal robot army.
    Pokemon Journeys (Part 2) N – New episodes in the brand new Pokemon series exclusive to Netflix.
    The Duchess (Season 1) N – New comedy series from comedian Katherine Ryan.

September 15th
    Cold Case Files Classic (Season 1) – Docuseries looking into unsolved murders through forensic science.
    Hope Frozen: A Quest to Live Twice (2020) N – Documentary that covers controversial heartfelt scientist looking to freeze their dying toddler to hopefully bring him back in the future.
    Izzy’s Koala World (Season 1) N – Kids nature series following 11-year-old Izzy as they rescue koalas.
    Michael McIntyre: Showman (2020) N – Stand-up special from the British comedian.
    Taco Chronicles (Volume 2) N – Food reality series looking into the world’s best Tacos
    The Curse of Oak Island (Season 4) – Docu-series from History Channel continuing their expedition on Oak Island.

September 16th
    Baby (Season 3) N – The third and final season of the Italian drama.
    Criminal: UK (Season 2) N – More intense throwdowns in the interrogation room.
    The Devil All the Time (2020) N – Complete with a stellar cast including Tom Holland and Robert Pattinson, this is one of the biggest movies to release on Netflix this fall.
    SING ON! (Season 1) N – Tituss Burgess hosts the US regional edition of the Karaoke singing competition.

September 17th
    Dragon’s Dogma (Season 1) N – New anime series based on the video game franchise.

September 18th
    American Barbecue Showdown (Season 1) N – Reality series with competing cooks demonstrating their BBQ abilities.
    Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous (Season 1) N – Animated series from Dreamworks based in the Jurassic Park IP.
    Ratched (Season 1) N – The next huge Ryan Murphy project that is set to reboot the famous Nurse Ratched character from One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.

September 22nd
    Jack Whitehall: Travels with my Father (Season 4) N – Reality series with comedian Jack Whitehall continuing his adventures with his Dad.
    Mighty Express (Season 1) N – New animated series for children from the creators of Paw Patrol.
    The Playbook (Season 1) N – Sports documentary series.

September 23rd
    Enola Holmes (2020) N – British mystery film based on the novel starring Millie Bobbie Brown.
    Waiting… (2005) – Rob McKittrick comedy featuring Ryan Reynolds.

September 24th
    Real Steel (2011) – Hugh Jackman features in this sci-fi movie about a robot boxer operator.
    The Chef Show (Season 2) N – A brand new set of episodes starring Jon Favreau.

September 25th
    A Perfect Crime
    Sneakerheads (Season 1) N – Comedy series picked up from Complex Networks.
    Country-ish

September 26th
    The Good Place (Season 4) – The final season of the NBC comedy series.

September 27th
    Bad Teacher (2011) – Cameron Diaz comedy.
    Van Helsing (Season 4) – Syfy series.

September 28th
    Whose Vote Counts, Explained (2020) N – Vox series looking into democratic elections.

September 29th
    Michelle Buteau: Welcome to Buteaupia (2020) N – Stand-up special
    Welcome to Sudden Death (2020) N – Sequel to the Sudden Death movie from 1995.

September 30th
    Wentworth (Season 8) – Australian prison drama.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Midnight Special and Borgen the standouts there for me.

I'm curious about Dragon's Dogma too, since I was surprised at how good Castlevania was.

whats leaving in September

September 1st,
    Empress in the Palace (2011)
    Fear Files… Har Mod Pe Darr (2015)
    Gabru: Hip Hop Revolution (Gabru: Hip Hop Ke Sheh… (2018)
    The Golden Years with Javed Akhtar (2016)
    Hostages (2016)
    The Irish Mob (2008)
    Islands of the Future (2014)
    Jhansi Ki Rani (2009)
    Mini Wolf (2014)
    Miranda (1 Season)
    Pyaar Tune Kya Kiya (2014)
    Rab Se Sohna Isshq (2012)
    Race for the White House (2016)
    The Road to Calvery (2017)
    Strawberry Shortcake: Berry Bitty Adventures (2015)

September 12th
    Stag (Season 1)

September 14th, 2020:
    Cold Case Files (2017)
    Cold Case Files Classic (1999)
    Happy Valley (2016)
    Queens vs. Kings (2018)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Good few on Reddit have cancelled their subscription over this

I mean, what the hell are they thinking?

32179508-0-image-a-103_1597931255883.jpg

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-53846419

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Dreadful poster and the initial one in the BBC should have been used by Netflix.

I wouldn't write the film of as though like some reactionaries online are though, seems like a normal enough story which is relevant to these times.

• Advertisement

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Dreadful poster and the initial one in the BBC should have been used by Netflix.

I wouldn't write the film of as though like some reactionaries online are though, seems like a normal enough story which is relevant to these times.

It seems like it's at least partially about the thing people are calling it out for. It's very poor marketing from Netflix, and they've since acknowledged that and updated it. The film showed at Sundance and most reviews for it are good. Netflix didn't even make it so why any one would cancel their subscription with them over it is beyond me.

Advertisement