Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you happy about how your career is progressing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Ush1 wrote: »
    Going very well, mid thirties and just over ten years working in IT, contracting the last while.

At the stage where I have some excess to invest in things.

Hows contracting going? I'm looking to move into contracting in a couple of years once I have some more experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭Ohio9

Love all the ~25 year olds making near 80k. I guess I failed at life by making less than half of that at 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Jed and Dave

Very interesting thread, my tuppence.

Im 41, worked as an Architectural tech for 8 yrs in public service and got a kick up the arse to do a night course as im good with the numbers and ive been working for the past 13 years as a QS. I earn reasonable money and after all the deductions you come out with alot less. I have no designs to go up the ladder.

Am I happy in the job, no, its not my passion tbh your mostly working on your own(no one cares until theres a mess up) and it gets monotonous looking at endless spreadsheets/documents.Ive been working on my own for so long i have mental health issues and suffer from low self esteem. Im thankful that Ive the house bought and im putting away every spare penny towards my pension with an exit strategy in mind. I honestly cant see myself working in this role until im 65 Im not sure if im just on a downer generally or if the job is making me like this if you get me.

I do a bit of voluntary work promoting a football club (graphics and match previews and stuff)and its something i love doing as a big football fan and the club has been getting more attendances as a result so its something that excites me and when i have enough stashed for retirement in my 50s i think id like to work part time away from my current role and work more on this.

If I could advise any young person starting out, dont go for something because you think theres loads of money in it- alot of kids tell people they want to do something with an -OLOGY at the end of it because it sounds good, do something you enjoy you ll be happier but ill temper that advice with that something has to earn you a living also.Oh and start a pension when your young you wont regret doing it later.

To the teacher earlier, I coached a kids sports team and I had a tough time trying to control them doing something they loved i wouldent be able to control 30 odd kids in a room and deal with parents etc. My wife is a teacher and she would be there most evenings preparing lessons for the next day and recording etc. so I wouldent be a teacher.

With the current situation working from home its great to have evenings free to do stuff (no long commute) I always yearned for more time to do other stuff but I dont think i could just do nothing either a job puts structure on your life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Thanks for that input, sounds like you have an exit plan in mind, hope it goes well for you!

Starting to see a trend here of all QS’ are miserable... unless you work for a consultancy which are the only rare encounters I see of people who truly enjoy it. It’s a thankless job. There are some on the PQS side that are obsessed with everything SCSI/RICS and CPD and all that crap.. they just love being up clients’ ars*s. Those are the ones that tell you they “enjoy” it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Derdwerker

Fairly happy, I work about 50-60 hours per week. My goal is to be in a position by the time I’m 30 to take the foot off the accelerator a little bit. So far, the strategy has paid off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Lived with 2 school teachers in castleknock in Dublin for a while when I first moved there a few years ago.

Never seen two men less stressed in my life. Both in mid 30s and single, taught in reputable primary schools nearby .

Walked to work each morning, back home by 2/3 and went to bed for an hour. Meanwhile I was out at site office at 8 and would hopefully finish at 6pm, which wasn’t always the case.

I never saw them mark a book or anything in my life at the weekends or evenings.

Some life . Just to add they also both bought their own houses in Dublin last year too.

Nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭maccored

im doing quite well and Im very happy with my career. I just got a Rickenbacher 4003, so Im happy with that too

My business is gone as a result of this. No coming back. I've paid as much to the other businesses as I felt would do me the same.

I had to let 14 people go. Not because I wanted to; because there will be nothing left for them to do.

That sucks man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Ohio9 wrote: »
    Love all the ~25 year olds making near 80k. I guess I failed at life by making less than half of that at 24.

Funny enough from 19 - 26 I was making 32k per year in a low level bank job between 2007 and early 2015. I was on a pay freeze right through this time. Initiated a part time degree in Sept 2013 part time and that got the ball rolling. Doors started opening up all over the place. At 97500 per annum contracting at 32 which ain't too bad but could be better. Saying that it's a handy gig where I'm at now and there is no office politics so I am very settled to stay at this for a while.

When I was midway through my 20s I would never have seen that coming. You would be surprised how quickly things can change and I would say the same to everyone else.

If you are not happy with your career, instead of settling be brave and take steps. There is a world of opportunity out there at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Funny enough from 19 - 26 I was making 32k per year in a low level bank job between 2007 and early 2015. I was on a pay freeze right through this time. Initiated a part time degree in Sept 2013 part time and that got the ball rolling. Doors started opening up all over the place. At 97500 per annum contracting at 32 which ain't too bad but could be better.

When I was midway through my 20s I would never have seen that coming. You would be surprised how quickly things can change and I would say the same to everyone else.

If you are not happy with your career, instead of settling be brave and take steps. There is a world of opportunity out there at the moment.

What was the degree in if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Redneck Reject1971

I make very little,but I work with horses,what is not to be happy about?heh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

MattS1 wrote: »
    What was the degree in if you don't mind me asking?

Accounting and Finance. Not even related to what I'm at now as I'm working on IT projects although with a Financial company. It just complimented my experience to that point well. It also displayed initiative that I was doing it out of work hours 3/4 nights a week. When I embarked on it was just initially a get out/do something course because I was stuck in a rut. Once management in the bank heard I was doing a part time degree they put me on side projects.

I would say its a good one to have though to give you a fundamental understanding of how a business operates. I'm branching out more towards consulting jobs currently taking care of BA and PM activities. And with no formal certifications other than the degree there's still a lot of faking it until I make it going on. Best way to learn in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭onrail

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Funny enough from 19 - 26 I was making 32k per year in a low level bank job between 2007 and early 2015. I was on a pay freeze right through this time. Initiated a part time degree in Sept 2013 part time and that got the ball rolling. Doors started opening up all over the place. At 97500 per annum contracting at 32 which ain't too bad but could be better. Saying that it's a handy gig where I'm at now and there is no office politics so I am very settled to stay at this for a while.

Fair play. What did you do end up studying and working at afterwards?

Springboard applications open tomorrow, now's your chance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I don't actually have a career, and I only realised that a couple of years ago. I'm in my 40's. After flailing around for several years after college with a variety of crappy jobs, I fell into a generic PS admin role and have been there ever since. Zero interest in the job, the industry, or making any progress up the ladder because I really DGAF about any of it. I'm only there to pay bills, the job itself isn't too mentally taxing and I have literally NO IDEA what else I want to do. Better the devil you know. I guess I'll just coast along for another decade or so and see if I can retire early or something once the mortgage is paid off.

Springboard applications open tomorrow, now's your chance!

What are you going for?

onrail wrote: »
    What are you going for?

Don’t have a clue :D gonna apply for a few and see what I get accepted into

Notbing will be more than a year anyway, couldnt hack 2 years part time while working.

Looked at software eng/data analytics but don’t think I’d enjoy it despite the popularity,

Maybe finance / agri science (if something in it) / pharmaceutical business / energy & renewables

ANYTHING TO GET OUT OF CONSTRUCTION :):)

Amen to that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Took me a while to get there, longer than it should have but happy now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Genuinely feel there is a whole set of skills/traits unrelated to talent to progress in any profession/career.

And talent is way down the list of on the list at all.
    Ambition.
    Interest in money.
    Ego/a strong sense of yourself.

Being excellent isn't necessary for people who are successful in life IMO.

Being ok/decent at what you do and getting along with people is paramount.

Whether that's unhealthy getting along (most places) or healthy getting along.

Personally, I never got the money equalling success thing. Despite it being drummed into you from a young age. It always struck me as insecurity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Notbing will be more than a year anyway, couldnt hack 2 years part time while working.

Looked at software eng/data analytics but don’t think I’d enjoy it despite the popularity,

Maybe finance / agri science (if something in it) / pharmaceutical business / energy & renewables

There are very few courses worth anything that dont take three or for years, the initial course not add ons.
    After 30 I dont think computing is for Neurotypicals.
    Anything science pays well and is doable. There are massive problems with millennials in work (have it from a uni-lecturer) that they give up on jobs, this is because they dont feel fulfilled. This is where age is your advantage.

What is wrong with construction. I knew a few guys at it and they were all well paid.

There are very few courses worth anything that dont take three or for years, the initial course not add ons.
    After 30 I dont think computing is for Neurotypicals.
    Anything science pays well and is doable. There are massive problems with millennials in work (have it from a uni-lecturer) that they give up on jobs, this is because they dont feel fulfilled. This is where age is your advantage.

What is wrong with construction. I knew a few guys at it and they were all well paid.

I’ve already did a bachelors part time 4/5 years from straight out of school. Don’t fancy another 3/4 when I’ll be in my 30s.

Very few people enjoy construction if they told the truth. A quick search at other threads on here you’d be amazed, one in particular has 8 or 9/10 construction professionals giving negative experiences and outlooks for their career. It pays well but it’s not worth it

I’ve already did a bachelors part time 4/5 years from straight out of school. Don’t fancy another 3/4 when I’ll be in my 30s.

Very few people enjoy construction if they told the truth. A quick search at other threads on here you’d be amazed, one in particular has 8 or 9/10 construction professionals giving negative experiences and outlooks for their career. It pays well but it’s not worth it

I never worked in construction that is why I am asking. I always thought it was a happy chappy job, well paid finish early on Friday and off to the pub, craic with the lads on the site and great pay while you are young compared with other professions.

I never worked in construction that is why I am asking. I always thought it was a happy chappy job, well paid finish early on Friday and off to the pub, craic with the lads on the site and great pay while you are young compared with other professions.

That sounds class but it must be told in college or a Celtic tiger tale. The people you work with in the offices are about as dull as they come! Ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Risingshadoo

I'd agree about office work, the most dismal place to work. People just aren't designed to be stuck in an office.

That sounds class but it must be told in college or a Celtic tiger tale. The people you work with in the offices are about as dull as they come! Ha.

Yup you are spot on it was just as the Celtic Tiger peaked. In hindsight they were fairly shallow and all fur no knickers guys. Not my types. Yeah I find people who settle into work too early and accept their lot give up and remain the way they are until they die.

I'd agree about office work, the most dismal place to work. People just aren't designed to be stuck in an office.

Civil Service/Public Service office jobs? Where souls go to die.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Nicky88

nutjobb wrote: »
    Im 29, work as an engineer for a MN company. Worked hard to get here and I am glad of the experience.

The corporate way is wearing me down though: long hours, excessive meetings that everyone tries to talk for the sake of talking, lazy people getting more credit than hard workers, the politics etc. and so I am considering moving to something a bit more easy going, with less money.

I think the whole pandemic will change peoples attitude towards work in general.

How happy are you with your career? Do you regret staying one place too long/too little? Sacrifice too much family time for work? are you planning on going a different direction or simply just happy to have a job in the current climate?
    🀣🀣Dá fook u ****in ón abou

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Nicky88 wrote: »
    ����Dá fook u ****in ón abou

Is that an attempt to contribute or did you use your last brain cells smashing the keyboard with your face?

• Advertisement

I think it might be abstract anger

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭martin101

I'm in an office job and it is soul destroying. People who where once nice have turned on each other. Back stabbing goes on all the time. Lucky for me we are allowed headphones and I wear them all day long. The atmosphere is horrendous. I'm there 20 years and doing pretty much the same thing I did twenty years ago. Only reason I'm still there now is because I am currently working part time to mind my kids half the week and my wife does the same the rest of the week in her job. Only for the flexibility I think I'd leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

For anyone working in data analytics, if your ****e at maths are you pretty much screwed? Heard there's a fair bit.

I tried a site recommended on here last Zweton - it’s called datacamp. Gave me a basic intro to software eng/data analytics (I believe so anyway). Didn’t see much maths but there appears to be a statistics module which is fairly high end maths I’m told.

From the stint on datacamp last night I knew it wasn’t for me. Didn’t find it too exciting to say the least

Lol yeah I have met one or two that worked in that area and to be fair they seemed to have their soul crushed. Me thinks you would need to love it.

zweton wrote: »
    For anyone working in data analytics, if your ****e at maths are you pretty much screwed? Heard there's a fair bit.

I was never a maths whizz but work in Analytics in finance so there's always a bit but rarely anything you can't Google speaking from my own experience.

I think the trend seems to be that Analysts tend to want to progress into Data Science and thats where the hardcore maths comes into play but this definitely isn't the only progression path in Analytics.

So I would say no not screwed at all. The best people I've worked with seem to have a good grasp of programming, problem solving and communication skills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

I m 6 years in my current role as a software consultant with a medium size private company,

Promotions and nepotism are rife in this company, I have been overlooked for various promotions throughout the years, some deserving some not so much,
    I am based on client sites and not in the head office so I feel this is a factor come promotion time

One thing I have learned for certain,
    Your relationship primarily personal with the higher management determines your career path, very hard to break this cycle,

I am in the process of buying a house but once this is sorted I will be looking at other opportunities as the software I work on is proper niche

Out of curiosity did anyone ever transition out of I.T to something else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Mildly dissatisfied at how ‘progress’ is careening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭Feisar

Construction is an open air asylum. Populated with lunatics, idiots, sociopaths, alcoholics, narcissists and me! And liars, I fuppin' hate liars.

First they came for the socialists...

zweton wrote: »
    Out of curiosity did anyone ever transition out of I.T to something else?

My best friend in college - After getting a degree in Computer Science nearly 20 years ago - worked in IT for about 6 months before saying "F this" and flying to Japan. He has been an English Teacher there ever since.

So there is hope we can get out eventually :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Kamu

My best friend in college - After getting a degree in Computer Science nearly 20 years ago - worked in IT for about 6 months before saying "F this" and flying to Japan. He has been an English Teacher there ever since.

So there is hope we can get out eventually :)

What do you think of the fact that most people are looking to switch careers into IT?

Kamu wrote: »
    What do you think of the fact that most people are looking to switch careers into IT?

I don't :) I was only being tongue in cheek about wanting to get out of it. I moderately enjoy it and have maintained a good work-life balance in it so far. Had to turn down promotion and raises and the like to do that alas - but it was the right decision for me so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Kamu

I don't :) I was only being tongue in cheek about wanting to get out of it. I moderately enjoy it and have maintained a good work-life balance in it so far. Had to turn down promotion and raises and the like to do that alas - but it was the right decision for me so far.

Ah fair enough, happy to hear you kept it on your terms as much as you can!

Ah fair enough, happy to hear you kept it on your terms as much as you can!

Yeah me too. I hope it stays that way. If I ever lose this job then all those decisions will massively back fire on me. I will have a CV that shows more than a decade with little to no career progression. It will suck.

So it was/is a gamble. But one I am so far very happy I have made.

I don't think most people realize what they are getting into tbh. It sounds nice from the outside because there's money in it. That's true, but it's a hard job, and it takes years to earn good money.

Probably a stupid question, but unless you’ve a standing desk are you literally sat at a desk all day in IT? I do that in my current industry and definitely don’t want to do that

Probably a stupid question, but unless you’ve a standing desk are you literally sat at a desk all day in IT? I do that in my current industry and definitely don’t want to do that

You walk around a fair bit. Walking to meeting rooms, desk dropping, coffee breaks. You can also get standing desks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭chrissb8

If you're going to work in IT dude, you'll more than likely have a day or two a week working from home. Know people who work in IT and one guy in particular lives in Galway and goes and tends to some animals throughout the days he's home!

Otherwise just as active as any other office job.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

41 years old, HR Manager in a MN (joined this company 4 months ago) very happy, pay is at the appropriate range for the industry and there’s good scope for development within my salary band. Pension & bens are good also. But the main thing for me is that I actually really enjoy my job and there’s great scope to get involved in things on a European/ global scale in the future. I had a serious illness a number of years ago and it really made me think about what I wanted to get out of life/work and I think I’m getting that balance right for me

mark_jmc wrote: »
    41 years old, HR Manager in a MN (joined this company 4 months ago) very happy, pay is at the appropriate range for the industry and there’s good scope for development within my salary band. Pension & bens are good also. But the main thing for me is that I actually really enjoy my job and there’s great scope to get involved in things on a European/ global scale in the future. I had a serious illness a number of years ago and it really made me think about what I wanted to get out of life/work and I think I’m getting that balance right for me

were you always in HR yeah? Looked at it a few times, one of the professions that's dominated by women, I couldn't see mid range - high salaries in it though..

• Advertisement
Advertisement