Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

The late bars will be charging 3 or 4 times the price of a cheap can.

I was out in town this weekend and didnt pay less than 7 euro for a pint.

Bars in town are really not a relevance to MUP. They just make MUP look positivley cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Who are Alcohol Action Ireland?? .... why are they even there?? .... ok ok it is one thing targeting alcohol but now they target non-alcoholic beer as well ... this all sound Taliban ridiculous at this stage ... do they ever stop and consider that businesses need to advertise and that their products and their marketing actually creates JOBS !!! ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭elperello

MUP was never going to affect the price in pubs because they were always well above the minimum price anyway.

MUP prices make pre January 2022 prices look positively cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,494 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

They are not targeting Non-Alcoholic, they are targeting the very obvious way that alcohol companies are using the Non Alcoholic versions to get around the advertising constraints. Guinness is not allowable on sports broadcasts, but no issue with Guinness 0.0. The net effect is that the brand Guinness is kept to the fore.

Brand sharing as they call it serves a particular purpose. They want to make it so like the 'real' product in terms of branding that advertising for one effectively advertises for the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭Gusser09

They should fcuk right off with themselves at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭rob316

There is a demand for zero products, the drink culture is changing. Does the zero branding help their advertising? Yes. But it is also making people aware of the zero choices. That would be a real nanny state move.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Or...

They want to do what they like. They seem like a militant group of ex problem drinkers with a large mix of Catholicism mixed in.

Why they are getting any of tax payers money is beyond me.

Yep. They'll be after the packaging next looking for it to be all the same generic grey or black with warning labels on it. A nasty vindictive organisation with under currents of a. coercive toxic partner about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They'll have prescription premises and no label no colour bottles

• Advertisement

It costs a lot of money to build up a brand and maintain it at the forefront of a crowded marketplace.

AAI want Guinness to abandon their brand and sell their zero product as some sort of "I can't believe it's not Guinness".

Surely the EU will draw a line on this madness.

They must have some sad little live of they get offended that easily. Id like to know how many of them enjoy a drink in moderation even. Pathetic at this stage.

Listening to Pat Kenny this morning and the first item was the printing of warnings and pictures on your can of beer or bottle of wine. Jesus christ I didn't really think it was a serious debate until I heard about it. Now Pat gave it to them in spades to be fair. Why alcohol? Why not fast food such as mcdonalds or chippers etc? Should we not be putting pictures of fatty livers, damaged hearts and fat people on the packaging? Should we not have obesity warnings on your way into the outlets? Should we not have door men on stopping young children from going in?

Shouldn't Coca Cola or pepsi be made put pictures of people with rotten teeth on their labels?

Shouldn't dairy gold be made put warnings on butter products?

A very good point he made about the export of Irish Whiskeys to foreign markets. Surely if we are made sit at homes and look at these warnings having a few beers on a weekened we should be putting the same warnings on our exports. Let's not be hypocritical here. Let's be a shining light for the rest of the world. Jesus well and trully wept at this stage.

The pubs? I presume the pubs will have to carry the same warnings on a pint glass that your can of beer will carry. Why should they get to fleece people but be treated differently than your average people sitting at home having a few cans. Fcuk them. You reap what you sow. Let them implement the same warnings.

This madness has got to stop somewhere. Absolute headbangers.

Is there a compromise though? Why don't we tell these nutters that they can have their MUP or they can have warnings on Alcoholic beverages but not both.

Lunacy at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

I travel regularly in NI, I stock up every time I'm there and haven't purchased a single drink in Ireland since this was introduced, there's no desperation, it's simple economics. Vapes too, as already mentioned mean serious savings, even more so now Mehole is sniffling about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

AAI were on the Claire Byrne show talking about this. The counter was some drinks industry representative, the AAI guy accused him of having a vested interested. I get the point but it was more that the AAI rep said this without even a hint of critical self awareness. I've heard them talking before and they really don't come across very well.

I'd love for the interviewer to ask these nutters if they take a drink themselves or if they are tee total.

Just on the Irish whiskey issue it is clear that producers will have an problem.

They will be selling their products with no warning abroad but when the customers come to Ireland they will see these labels.

Very poor image to be telling tourists that Irish whiskey is a cancer risk.

Hopefully some adult in Government will cop on and just decide to wait for EU agreed labelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

His point about export labels doesn't make a lot of sense.

We can only put on the label what is requested by the purchaser (e.g, design, color and image) and what is required by the law of the country being exported to (which may be health stuff, traceability, ingredients/calories, multi-language info etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I was listening to a representative from Alcohol Action Ireland on Sunday and they really annoyed me about the separate labels for zero drinks. I mean, she actually came out and said they're harmful for those in recovery. Where are these people getting their mandate or indeed their arguments from? For the record, I haven't drank for a year and a half after recognising some difficulties with alcohol but the zero drinks have been a blessing for me. Get a pint or bottle of zero and I fit right in rather than ordering a fizzy water.

Hopefully Europe step in and say no. Enough is enough.

I'd argue that the law can be applied to anything being manufactured in Ireland too including whiskey. it should be.

AAI are coming across as low lives at this stage. Really they want a total ban on alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,281 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

The more maddening thing is that this current government seem to be in full support of them - it's all a bit mad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Any stats related to reduction in off sales will be worthless going forward as so many people now buy up North. Spend 5 minutes in Newry and its like being at any tesco in the South.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,039 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's going to end up like California, pretty much everything will have a "may cause cancer" label on it to the point that no sane person could possibly continue to pay any notice.

I even saw a warning on a USB cable that users in California were advised to wash their hands after touching it! Of course the rest of the world is ok...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,659 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Labelling is one of the things in the legislation, well known to the industry going back for years. They will be lobbying hard, including outside of Ireland to prevent it happening. But, as with the smoking ban, people will probably look back and say how ahead of the curve Ireland was. I don't think even California has anything like this. (Taken from Drinks Ireland alcohol lobby interpretation of the legislation).

The Act provides for the following information on the label of an alcohol product:

• A warning to inform the public of the danger of alcohol consumption;
    • A warning to inform the public of the danger of alcohol consumption when pregnant;
    • A warning to inform the public of the direct link between alcohol and fatal cancers;
    • The quantity of grams of alcohol contained in the product;
    • The energy value expressed in kilojoules and kilocalories contained in the alcohol product,
    • Details of a website run by the Health Service Executive providing information on alcohol and related harms.

Alcohol products sold in kegs or casks will have an accompanying document with the above information. Licensed premises will have a notice(s) in the legally prescribed form with above warnings and website information, confirming that a document noting the alcohol content and energy value of every product for sale in the premises is available on request. Finally, the above information will also be required to be displayed on any website that sells alcohol online.

The government must draft secondary legislation (i.e. regulations) outlining the specific wording of the warning and must notify the EU Commission under the TRIS and FIC processes to allow all other member states to input their views during a three to six month stand still period. Following this the government will finalise the regulations and the Minister for Health will sign a commencement order with a three year transition period to full implementation.  

• Registered Users Posts: 28,155 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The double standard for licensed premises versus off licences is blatant. Why can't they get away with a single notice - no doubt buried away in a dark corner.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

That's the thing will pubs need massive cancer warnings all over their entrances? Will pint glasses need warnings?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,659 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

That's the great thing about it being a Regulation and not primary legislation. The Minister can decide how big or small, and where any information is displayed. Get lobbying your TD now to make him/her put it in tiny writing.

(10) For the purposes of this section, the Minister may prescribe:

(a) the form of a warning under paragraphs (i), (ii) and (iii) of subsection (1), including its size and colour and the size, colour and font type of the printed material on the warning concerned;

(b) the form of the information under paragraphs (iv)(v) and (vi) of subsection (1), including the size, colour and font type of the printed material in respect of the information concerned;

(c) the form of a notice under subsection (4), including its size and colour and the size, colour and font type of the printed material on the notice concerned;

(d) details of where in a licensed premises a notice or notices under subsection (4) is to be located, and the manner in which it is to be displayed;

(e) the form of the accompanying document referred to in subsection (3), including its size and colour and the size, colour and font type of the printed material on the document concerned;

(f) details in relation to how the matters specified in paragraphs (a) to (f) of subsection (5) will be displayed on the website of a person who sells or causes to be sold alcohol products on-line, including the size, colour and font type of the printed material concerned.

And driving maddening off the scale is the realisation that all the opposition parties voted for it as well.

We are well and truly done for.

• Advertisement

No it's all wrong. If we have to have it printed on a can or bottle it should be on a pint glass in a pub too. Fair is fair. Not the bloddy keg it comes in. What's the reasoning for not printing it on all pint glasses but making the home consumer read it?

It is my belief at this stage that AAI want a total ban on alcohol off sales and alcohol being consumed in the home. That is their end game here with all of this shite.

Advertisement