Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I make my own yogurt, it's pretty easy, you just need a natural yogurt with live cultures to start. If you ferment for 24hours or more the sugar is reduced a lot more, some people with lactose issues say they can eat 24hr yogurt no bother. Some here might want to reduce sugar, I was doing it to get more probiotic effect and I also prefer it being more acidic.

If you make it with evaporated milk it comes out really thick and also does away with the need to heat it up first (its already heated in the can, as is UHT milk).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

There are a few different brands of Skyr alright

That Graham's brand has 12.2g protein / 100g for natural and 10.2-10.5g protein / 100g for the flavoured ones.

It’s a pity they taste like sour cream that resents it’s recent life choices.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

rubadub wrote: »
    I make my own yogurt, it's pretty easy, you just need a natural yogurt with live cultures to start. If you ferment for 24hours or more the sugar is reduced a lot more, some people with lactose issues say they can eat 24hr yogurt no bother. Some here might want to reduce sugar, I was doing it to get more probiotic effect and I also prefer it being more acidic.

If you make it with evaporated milk it comes out really thick and also does away with the need to heat it up first (its already heated in the can, as is UHT milk).

An old colleague of mine used to make yoghurt by adding acidophilus to milk. Have you tried that?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

bluewolf wrote: »
    is there a non dairy one you prefer? am definitely open to ideas

sorry only seeing this now.

I only tried another beef one called musclemeds carnivore (yonks ago) it was decent - but normally whey does me fine.
    Just tried the beef for something new.

The bulk powders one was so bad , I can't describe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Got a new bench today :)

It's in a load of boxes...

Too lazy to put it together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Brian? wrote: »
    An old colleague of mine used to make yoghurt by adding acidophilus to milk. Have you tried that?
    haven't tried that. I was thinking of trying similar with another commercial beneficial E.coli bacteria, it is difficult to get hold of and expensive so people ferment their own.

https://www.mutaflor.com/mutaflor-with-escherichia-coli-strain-nissle-1917-for-human-gut-health/the-discovery-of-mutaflor.html

Kefir is easier to make as it requires no incubation, i.e. it does fine at room temperature.

tried bulkpowders vegan blend which was surprisingly inoffensive
    added some choc hazelnut liqiflav or whatever the 0 cal flavour thing is, bit synthetic but nice

bulk powders move to UPS is a fcukin disaster.

I used to complain nighline were too efficient - UPS tracker never updates...2 days late now.

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

paw patrol wrote: »

I used to complain nighline were too efficient - UPS tracker never updates...2 days late now.

Suppose that serves you right for complaining about previous being too efficient.
    My parcels used to go awol for a while then two lots would turn up. So fingers crossed for get a double.

paw patrol wrote: »

still not arrived. :mad:

Got a decent lad in UPS just there - caught him on a bad day - admitted a huge backlog in their depot and in a round about way said they were sh1te.
    I couldn't get annoyed with him - he had that beaten down sigh - felt like i should buy him a beer.

• Advertisement

Thinking about getting a new barbell for Bench/OHP. At the moment I have a bar from strength shop, no idea which one but it was definitely the cheapest one on site and it has a slight bend in it.

Looking on strength shop and there are too many options, any suggestions. Would spend about 300

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Are all the bars there not sold out?

Had a quick look. Looks like Clarence is a poster boy for them. Fair play

Ya all sold out at the moment and I'm in no rush, I just don't get the difference between the 20 or so bars they sell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

JJayoo wrote: »
    Ya all sold out at the moment and I'm in no rush, I just don't get the difference between the 20 or so bars they sell

If its just for bench/ohp this is a decent option

https://www.strengthshop.ie/weights-bars/bars/olympic-bars/strengthshop-bastard-bar-with-centre-knurling-black-shaft.html

This is a bit of an improvement, but wouldn't be noticeable really except on squat or Deadlift and depends on the weight then really.

https://www.strengthshop.ie/weights-bars/bars/olympic-bars/strength-shop-powerlifting-bar-chemical-plated.html

A friend of mine has the second, and says even that feels a bit whippy at heavier weights though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Equipped but holy f**k.

501.2kg

Equipped but holy f**k.

501.2kg

That’s unbelievable. He has mentally short arms, but seriously impressive

they/them/theirs

That’s unbelievable. He has mentally short arms, but seriously impressive

The bench shirt makes them look a lot shorter than they are.

The bench shirt makes them look a lot shorter than they are.

I get ye, but those are some short arms nonetheless.

I'm jealous, I've the arms of a male orangutan

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,613 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I hear ye - apparently your arm span is meant to be the same as your height - I am 5 7" and my arm span is just over 5 10" :(

• Advertisement

He doesn't look like he has particularly short arms in person

aff188bca8fb24bec05269aacf5fc5ca-full.jpg

Not T-Rex short anyway

I hear ye - apparently your arm span is meant to be the same as your height - I am 5 7" and my arm span is just over 5 10" :(

I feel you brother. I’m 6ft 3 and my arms are over 6 5. That’s a lot of arm.

they/them/theirs

He doesn't look like he has particularly short arms in person

aff188bca8fb24bec05269aacf5fc5ca-full.jpg

Not T-Rex short anyway

I suppose it’s subjective. They ain’t long.

they/them/theirs

I suppose it’s subjective. They ain’t long.

Nope. But not especially short.

Still though...over 500kg. The insanity of it all.

Should be good for your deadlift so. Or does the knuckle dragging work against it?

Nope. But not especially short.

Still though...over 500kg. The insanity of it all.

It’s absolutely mental.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Is it common in the gyms you go to for people to bench without a spotter? I don't think I've ever seen anyone use one in mine, even when people are benching serious weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is it common in the gyms you go to for people to bench without a spotter? I don't think I've ever seen anyone use one in mine, even when people are benching serious weight.
    I rarely, if ever, use a spotter.
    If I'm going for 5 reps, I've already 3repped it or higher. So I judge by how grindy the 4th rep is whether or not to go for 5th. sometime I might come up short, but that's usualy a stall halfway up and I can rack to the lower pegs.

Maybe if I was going for a big 1RM and was a completely new weight, and the bench had no safeties.
    Most guys getting spotted on 12 rep sets are doing so because they can;t lift the weight unassisted.

I never use a spotter. I might if I was going for a PR and I knew the person and that they wouldn't make a balls of spotting.

If there are safeties, you can let them do their job if needed. No safeties, I'd possibly ask a spotter if I was going for a PR.

That said, I wouldn't call my max a serious weight. But it's all relative.

Mellor wrote: »
    I rarely, if ever, use a spotter.
    If I'm going for 5 reps, I've already 3repped it or higher. So I judge by how grindy the 4th rep is whether or not to go for 5th. sometime I might come up short, but that's usualy a stall halfway up and I can rack to the lower pegs.

Maybe if I was going for a big 1RM and was a completely new weight, and the bench had no safeties.
    Most guys getting spotted on 12 rep sets are doing so because they can;t lift the weight unassisted.

Same here. Most benches have safeties these days. If you know how to set them right there's almost zero risk.

Trust me, I've slid out from a number of attempted PRs

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I feel you brother. I’m 6ft 3 and my arms are over 6 5. That’s a lot of arm.

I’m 6’1 and my reach is 6’6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,613 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I’m 6’1 and my are 6’6

Ah here, do you have three arms or sth?? :D

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I’m 6’1 and my are 6’6

27541758079_a7ae022560_b.jpg

I can safely say iv never checked that ratio
    Must go get a measuring tape

Probably late to this particular party but it seems that Jeff Cavaliere (Athlean-X) joined the fake weights gang.

Always found him to be a bellend, just repeats the same sh1t over and over.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Always found him to be a bellend, just repeats the same sh1t over and over.

I haven't persevered with his videos long enough to have an opinion either way.

But when you get called out for fake weights after a beltless double with 225kg the way to prove people wrong is not to put up a video of a beltless single with 192.5kg with the kind of form you warn people about

Just back into the gym a few weeks ago after over a decade off.. Been watching some YT videos and am starting to kind of doubt how useful a lot of the content is.

Athlean-X guy basically says that everything you're doing is wrong, and the comments are fawning over him. Is he just making content for the sake of making money? Feels like if you laid out all his advice in a spreadsheet, it would be a complete mess.

Thinking of just ignoring all that for a good few months until I have need for looking at specific content.

My post from last year.

Athlean-x's video thumbnails are enough to not take his stuff seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Cill94

My post from last year.

Not sure if you have found better info since then, but just in case.. Some much better resources than the Athlean guy:

Greg Nuckols / Stronger by Science
    Elite FTS
    Chad Wesley Smith / Juggernaut
    Mike Israetel
    Jim Wendler
    Barbell Logic
    Barbell Medicine
    Starting Strength
    Alan Thrall

Cill94 wrote: »
    Not sure if you have found better info since then, but just in case.. Some much better resources than the Athlean guy:

Elite FTS
    Mike Israetel
    Jim Wendler
    Barbell Logic
    Barbell Medicine
    Starting Strength
    Alan Thrall

Rippetoe also does some BDSM erotica if you need to double-up on resources for that...

• Advertisement

Rippetoe also does some BDSM erotica if you need to double-up on resources for that...

Must be why he keeps a machete in the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Elite FTS

Mike Israetel
    Jim Wendler
    Barbell Logic
    Barbell Medicine
    Starting Strength
    Alan Thrall

Strong seconding to the ones in bold. Never heard of Barbell Logic. BBM people apart from Feigenbaum seem good. I've seen mostly good stuff from Israetel but some people seem to get way to caught up in the weeds following his volume recommendations.

Not a fan of Rippetoe and from what I've seen a lot of SS coaches are way to dogmatic about something they really shouldn't be.

Other people I've found to have good content, Brian Alsruhe, Eric Helms, John Meadows, Australian Strength Coach (on instagram) and the Hybrid Performance (Stefi Cohen) crew although I wouldn't watch every video each of them do apart from maybe Alsruhe.

A lot of strength athletes have their own channels now as well but mostly seem to be vlogs with less directly informative content.

Must be why he keeps a machete in the gym.

And why the Starting Strength Bench is just a slab of wood.

Strong seconding to the ones in bold. Never heard of Barbell Logic. BBM people apart from Feigenbaum seem good. I've seen mostly good stuff from Israetel but some people seem to get way to caught up in the weeds following his volume recommendations.

Not a fan of Rippetoe and from what I've seen a lot of SS coaches are way to dogmatic about something they really shouldn't be.

Other people I've found to have good content, Brian Alsruhe, Eric Helms, John Meadows, Australian Strength Coach (on instagram) and the Hybrid Performance (Stefi Cohen) crew although I wouldn't watch every video each of them do apart from maybe Alsruhe.

Good additions there.

I don't 100% agree with any single source I listed by the way. But if you look at the broad message, they all agree on the basics. Everyone is pretty much doing the same thing, with some minor differences.

And most importantly, they would all never be caught dead lifting fake weights for social media clout.

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own.” - Wise karate man

Remember that Six Pack Shortcuts lad? He was gas. Remember reading something about him spending thousands per day on advertising, which explained why he was everywhere. His actual content was hilariously bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭bladespin

Remember that Six Pack Shortcuts lad? He was gas. Remember reading something about him spending thousands per day on advertising, which explained why he was everywhere. His actual content was hilariously bad.

Absolute car crash in the end, it was just shocking.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Yep. Now he's been replaced by V Shred.

After a few years those guys disappear when their audience realise they've been had. You can only con people once.

Yep. Now he's been replaced by V Shred.

After a few years those guys disappear when their audience realise they've been had. You can only con people once.

And wasn't V Shred accused of copying Athlean-x's videos?

Jesus, it's all the same recycled nonsense

Sebastian Orb has some nice videos on setup for main lifts and his gym looks so nice and shiny.

• Advertisement

I don't post here often, and haven't been on in a while, but what's the craic with rowing machines? Have they been banned or something?

Can't find them anywhere for sale, especially not the Concept ones. I found a few sites that do rental, and I can't even rent one. Has everyone gone mad buying them up because they can't get to the gym? (I'm assuming not - as I never seen anyone using them anytime I ever went to the gym anyway).

I need to lose a little weight off my belly. And back. And arms, legs, thighs, chest, ankles, ass and chin, so was considering getting a concept2 rower, as I figured if i got fed up with it after a few months I'd sell it on without losing much on it as they tend to hold their value a good bit.

Advertisement