Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What has helped you most with confidence?

Options
  • 24-02-2020 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

I know there's the obvious one of imagining people naked when you're adressing a room..
    Just curious on this one as someone who struggles a bit with confidence and presenting myself well..

What are the best lessons you have learnt through age and experience re confidence?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭H.20v3

Evaluating myself in comparison to others

Turns out you're no worse and often better than most in most areas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

That most people are more interested in themselves than others so where we think people are looking at us or judging us they are probably more wrapped up in their own world. It's quite liberating to realise this. Also I found as I got older I just cared less what people thought and this helped me be more confident. :)

H.20v3 wrote: »
    Evaluating myself in comparison to others

I stopped comparing myself to others and that eliminated the burden of unrealistic expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Honestly my confidence is ****e. Nothing helps. I have just accepted it. Maybe its a good thing to lack confidence ...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,464 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Accept there's no real normal, most of us just conform to social norms in public.

People will always talk about you, so make it interesting for them and show a few of your quirks. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

BOOZE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Alcohol, makeup.

Intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭KM792

Antares35 wrote: »
    That most people are more interested in themselves than others so where we think people are looking at us or judging us they are probably more wrapped up in their own world. It's quite liberating to realise this. Also I found as I got older I just cared less what people thought and this helped me be more confident. :)

That's a really good point.If I had to walk into a room my default setting is are people looking at me,are they judging me etc but the truth is they're prob thinking about how they're being perceived in their own mind..are people judging me etc..

Everyone is always more invested in themselves than others anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Accept there's no real normal, most of us just conform to social norms in public.

People will always talk about you, so make it interesting for them and show a few of your quirks. :D
    Almost 5 decades of social ineptitude has the positive side effect of killing your capacity to give a **** of what others think of you. If I did, I wouldn't be able to leave the house or open my mouth. The other benefit is being very forgiving of other's quirks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,464 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Almost 5 decades of social ineptitude has the positive side effect of killing your capacity to give a **** of what others think of you. If I did, I wouldn't be able to leave the house or open my mouth. The other benefit is being very forgiving of other's quirks.

I'm starting to think we're twins, or one of us is completely insane and the other is the alter ego.

Did your mother have you tested? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I'm starting to think we're twins, or one of us is completely insane and the other is the alter ego.

Did your mother have you tested? :D
    Ha! She was advised to but refused! (True)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Believing in the old saying: “if you don’t ask, you don’t get.”

Also worrying much less of what others think of me the older I get - and that if I have inspired a few other people through my teaching or brought joy and positivity to others though my friendships and relationships then I have served a useful purpose in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭con747

KM792 wrote: »
    I know there's the obvious one of imagining people naked when you're adressing a room..
    Just curious on this one as someone who struggles a bit with confidence and presenting myself well..

What are the best lessons you have learnt through age and experience re confidence?

Not giving a sh*t and not caring about how other people see me in their eyes.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

alcohol

Edit, i see I'm not the first with that answer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

alcohol

Edit, i see I'm not the first with that answer
    i cant drink

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

I've never understood how a person can feel comfortable in a room full of naked people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Developing an understanding that we live short, trivial, lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

Train in a combat sport. You are not thinking what others thinking of you then and most important get a break from self defeating analysis.

I studied certain subjects I loved and its always a great way to boost confidence to have certainty in what you say in something you have a passion for especially for people who'd find it interesting. There's a mystique apparently from what certain people have said I'd have huge respect for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Women's slacks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Age and not giving a bollix about what others think of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Learning to stop caring what other people think.

Everyone will be gossiped about at some point. I'll never be universally liked, there will always be people who don't like my personality, looks, attitude, whatever.

But once I like myself and respect myself, none of that matters. Those who love and care for me believe I'm pretty great, and I respect myself enough to know I'm a good person. If someone doesn't like me, that's absolutely fine because chances are I won't like them much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭looksee

All the above, age plus a lifetime of not looking conventional, but mostly an awareness that other people are not interested in you, they are interested in themselves. Your friends will see you and like you, everyone else, well it doesn't matter what they think. No matter what you do, how you behave or what you look like, someone will feel free to judge you, so why bother what they think?

Being confident, or at least not lacking in confidence, is a decision you can make, but it can take a while to convince yourself of this. While you are working on it just get on with life.

That's a really good point.If I had to walk into a room my default setting is are people looking at me,are they judging me etc but the truth is they're prob thinking about how they're being perceived in their own mind..are people judging me etc..

Everyone is always more invested in themselves than others anyway...
    Mine was too and to be honest, it probably still is my automatic thought but then I catch myself thinking it and correct it, telling myself "actually Antares, you are wrong, they are not looking". One example I often use to re-iterate this, is I ask myself, "what was X, Y or Z wearing in the office yesterday?" and you can be guaranteed that 99 times out of 100, I won't remember because I haven't noted it. Then again, maybe that's just a lack of perceptive ability on my part! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Fake it til you make it. Most people can't tell the difference between false confidence and real confidence. Then you get used to public speaking or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

Exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Not giving a sh*t anymore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

When the penny drops that a hell of a lot of people in the professional world are in fact bluffing and learning as they go. I've also learned that just because a person has swagger and an air of bravado, it's usually not genuine confidence and centredness, it's braggadocio masking poor self-esteem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

NOT being drunk / hungover/ stoned and actually knowing what I'm talking about . And firmly believing that I know more than the people I'm talking in front of. Being the alpha male basically

Yurt! wrote: »
    When the penny drops that a hell of a lot of people in the professional world are in fact bluffing and learning as they go. I've also learned that just because a person has swagger and an air of bravado, it's usually not genuine confidence and centredness, it's braggadocio masking poor self-esteem.

Yup, the truly confident people I know are the ones who are quietly confident. They know they've "got this" and they don't feel the need to prove anything or flex their muscles in front of others. Most will listen more than they talk. People with lots to prove tend to make a lot of noise.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12 Torino

The work of Eckhart Tolle, be present and don't identify with thoughts, objects, possessions or anything for that matter. You are the field of presence behind your thoughts, observe your thoughts, emotions and sense perceptions non judgementally.

Advertisement