Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CH or LIM bull

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Depends on whether you buy it from an approved breeder (Multiplier) or just off someone with a bull.

The pricing ranges depending on the cross which is scaled from F1 to F5. the price will be dependent on which of these it is.
    I think the multipliers are given a price range at the start of each season for each cross - although those outside of the Multipliers price themselves.
                              FEMALES         MALES
    FIRST CROSS:     F1       CROSS (1/2)     1ST CROSS
    SECOND CROSS:    F2       CROSS (3/4)     2ND CROSS
    THIRD CROSS:     F3 (GD)  PURE (7/8)      3RD CROSS
    FOURTH CROSS:    F4 (D)   PURE (15/16)    4TH CROSS
    FIFTH CROSS:     F5       PURE (16/16)    PURE

More info: https://www.bigbeef.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Stabiliser-Pedigree-Standards.pdf

I've honestly no idea as to the cost of one. I think grassroot_1 on here has/had them - maybe they can chip in.

On SellMyLivestock there is currently 20 pure (F5) breeding heifers in England looking £1150 per head. (Bear in mind these are the pure ones).
    There is also someone selling 12 Stabiliser X and is looking £640 - £750. I'd assume these were F1, but I'm not up to speed on them all.
    The main sellers are on DoneDeal - albeit mostly in NI. There is only one Multiplier listed on the Big Beef website for Ireland (Hayden in Tipp) but I've no idea how he advertises.

Not very useful post, but just be aware if they start talking about F1, F2, etc what they are referring to.
    Stabliser bulls tend to be dear in comparison to Irish bull prices as do all uk bulls.That said there a lot of good older bulls available from herds keeping heifers I dont currently have a Stabliser bull but may use stabliser semen this year. I found problems with bad feet an issue and you do need to finish the calves yourself they are not a good weanling seller. There is a strong case for a second bull in a large herd to be a Stabliser. very good cows and very easy to calve

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Just see the advertising next month for the Easter sale of bulls in Carrigallen if anyone is still looking then. Might be more working class bulls than the pampered lads.

Are you going?
    They have it every Easter Monday
    Numbers have dipped over last years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Are you going?
    They have it every Easter Monday
    Numbers have dipped over last years

Yeah, might bring that young Loyal lad of ours, it's just before we hit 10 cows due in 2 weeks so we need the space! Roped him yesterday in the crush & he's very settled, though I don't think they have to be led for the sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Last year I did some contract weighing for BEEP. The best calves I weighed were Simmental out of Hereford cows.

In terms of weight gain possibly but not kill out % I’d think. Shellier cattle but lovely quiet animals too

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Just see the advertising next month for the Easter sale of bulls in Carrigallen if anyone is still looking then. Might be more working class bulls than the pampered lads.

Any word what’s in it yet? Could do with a new face around here

• Advertisement

390kid wrote: »
    Any word what’s in it yet? Could do with a new face around here

What you looking? CH or LM?

What you looking? CH or LM?

Was thinking of a ch

Was thinking of a ch

Have this guy booked for Carrick 11/4 subject to
    TB & Fertility tests

Have this guy booked for Carrick 11/4 subject to
    TB & Fertility tests

He’s a fine animal. What’s his breeding? Easy calving would be a priority here

He’s a fine animal. What’s his breeding? Easy calving would be a priority here

LZFxFFK
    8.6% CD
    He’s not the tallest and has 1 form of Q204X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Bought this lad today in Ennis, limestone cowboy has a comrade from the same herd I think.
    A bit bigger than I needed but we'll give him a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Bought this lad today in Ennis, limestone cowboy has a comrade from the same herd I think.

Did he tell you to call me :D he's by Glen Leon is he?

Yea that's the lad....I needed to get home some time today so didn't mention you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Fine shaped animal. All the best with him.

Fine shaped animal. All the best with him.

You mind saying age/price?

He's May 18 2300 euro was the price. Was bidding on a smaller bull but he went to 2700 which was more than I valued him at.

He's May 18 2300 euro was the price. Was bidding on a smaller bull but he went to 2700 which was more than I valued him at.

What you reckon calving will be like? Just thinking I gave £1950 for a 4 year old lim bull a couple of years ago. For an extra 30-40 you have a young bull

Should be ok once I can stop the old lad stuffing the cows. Figures aren't bad.

Best of luck with him
    Was there much difference in money for bulls with and without stars or was price based on quality

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I was in Ennis. I remember that fella. Fine big bull. Best of luck with him.
    Did you see the young Char bull that sold for €1240?. He was just too young. Thought he was a steal at at price. A lot of plain char bulls there.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Advertisement

Thanks Patsy
    some very plain bulls and a few with poor feet,
    there was value there in my eyes.
    Was surprised how many bulls had really wide front shoulders, in the days of easy calving it would put me off, its not going to be easy get the calves out if your meeting big bone on the front shoulders at calving time.

I didn't stay for long after buying due to the day being so bad but did the limo's sell well?

Prices for stars were a bit better than those without and definitely found it easier get bids with the stars, no big money bulls on offer though so hard to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Thanks Patsy
    some very plain bulls and a few with poor feet,
    there was value there in my eyes.
    Was surprised how many bulls had really wide front shoulders, in the days of easy calving it would put me off, its not going to be easy get the calves out if your meeting big bone on the front shoulders at calving time.

I didn't stay for long after buying due to the day being so bad but did the limo's sell well?

Most of the Limo's went tru unsold. A lot of messing going on too with bids. You know how it is at these sales.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Thanks for all the replies guys. In relation to purchasing a bull I was over ruled by dad. He just didn't feel comfortable with a bull about the place. So we decided to change AI man ( lots of repeats last year) and see how it goes. Have been restricting the amount of time the calves have access to the cows to help the cows come in heat quicker and it's working. Cow in heat on the slats this morning. Calfed 35 days ago. The Ai man I'm going to use is with Progressive Genetics. Will probably give her Fiston. What's her thoughts on the bulls with Progressive Genetics?

Thanks for all the replies guys. In relation to purchasing a bull I was over ruled by dad. He just didn't feel comfortable with a bull about the place. So we decided to change AI man ( lots of repeats last year) and see how it goes. Have been restricting the amount of time the calves have access to the cows to help the cows come in heat quicker and it's working. Cow in heat on the slats this morning. Calfed 35 days ago. The Ai man I'm going to use is with Progressive Genetics. Will probably give her Fiston. What's her thoughts on the bulls with Progressive Genetics?
    Recently went to PG myself too
    Had nice calves last year off Fiston, GPD & LZF
    Good calf born to CH4251, with LGL & CH4252 to come

F**ker of a bull jumped a wall into the cows last night one was bulling.. he's on 3 legs now back leg completely going from under him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

F**ker of a bull jumped a wall into the cows last night one was bulling.. he's on 3 legs now back leg completely going from under him.

Oh balls, hopefully it's nothing too serious. Is he putting any weight on it.

Absolutely sickened. He's himself destroyed so he must have got turned upside down. Back leg totally goes when he goes to walk on it. Too wet to let him out. He's even gone very scoury and he was on hay till yesterday. I know there are bigger problems

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Absolutely sickened. He's himself destroyed so he must have got turned upside down. Back leg totally goes when he goes to walk on it. Too wet to let him out. He's even gone very scoury and he was on hay till yesterday. I know there are bigger problems

The scour could be from the excitement of everything that's happened and he'll hopefully dry up in a day or two. Without wanting to be even more negative are you confident that the leg isn't broke? If he's putting any weight on it then it probably isn't but it's a possibility. Watch and see can he walk on it when left to his own devices, if he carries it fully when walking or if it seems to swing freely then I'm afraid you could be in bigger bother.

• Advertisement

Doubt its broken but he's damaged something just above the hoof in the joint I reckon. 2 new bulls both f*cked ah well

Advertisement