Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlock Vodafone phone

Options
  • 12-02-2020 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I bought a Huawei P Smart on Vodafone prepay in December and recently switched to another provider. At the time I purchased it I asked if I was tied into a contract with them and was told that I was not. Now Vodafone will not give me an unlock code as they say I have to have spent 127.00 in the last 12 months. I have only paid 40. However I did pay for the phone at the time at a reduced price. Is this legal? Can my phone be unlocked by any other unlock shop or online?

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Moved from Open Source.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭28064212

shoko wrote: »
    Is this legal?
    Yes. You are not tied into a contract. If you were, you would be liable to pay for the full length of the contract regardless of usage.
    Can my phone be unlocked by any other unlock shop or online?
    Depends on the phone, but yes, most of them can be

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

I bought a Huawei P Smart on Vodafone prepay in December and recently switched to another provider. At the time I purchased it I asked if I was tied into a contract with them and was told that I was not. Now Vodafone will not give me an unlock code as they say I have to have spent 127.00 in the last 12 months. I have only paid 40. However I did pay for the phone at the time at a reduced price. Is this legal? Can my phone be unlocked by any other unlock shop or online?
    I have only paid 40. However I did pay for the phone at the time at a reduced price.

This is normal. You should have known this at the time of purchase.

From some of Vodafone's T&Cs:

As a Pay as you go customer, you must meet the below requirements to be eligible to receive an unlock code.

You have topped up by at least €127 in the last 12 months for your first unlock code.
    You have topped up by at least €254 in the last 12 months for your second unlock code.
    You have topped up by at least €381 in the last 12 months for your third unlock code.
    Your phone was purchased from Vodafone Ireland.
    The associated Mobile number must have been used with the handset that is being requested to be unlocked.
    You have not requested three or more unlock codes in the past 12 months and not requested one in the past 3 months.

You'll need to work something out with VF. I'm sure the phone can be unlocked easily. But VF will still be needing the €127.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I used unlock.ie recently and no problem at all to unlock.

For P Smart on vodafone it's coming up at €45 and approx 3 days to do. Others on here had tried unlock codes on ebay for same phone and didn't have good results.

Yep, another thumbs up for unlock.ie. Tried eBay a few times and only came across wasters, never got as far as getting a code as they always came back looking for more money. Unlock.ie had my P30 Pro sorted in a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

bazzz wrote: »
    You'll need to work something out with VF. I'm sure the phone can be unlocked easily. But VF will still be needing the €127.

They won't..Assuming the OP gets an unlock code elsewhere his dealings with VF are complete.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    They won't..Assuming the OP gets an unlock code elsewhere his dealings with VF are complete.

I'm not experienced in this. But I wouldn't be giving that out as lawful advice.

You are correct. You are not experienced in this....but that's fine.

.....The €127 VF are looking for is simply a fee for an unlock code. The OP doesn't have any sort of contract with VF. If he can (and he can) get this code cheaper elsewhere then everything is totally legal.

You are correct. You are not experienced in this....but that's fine.

.....The €127 VF are looking for is simply a fee for an unlock code. The OP doesn't have any sort of contract with VF. If he can (and he can) get this code cheaper elsewhere then everything is totally legal.

I don't know what your issue is? I know I'm not experienced in this....like I already mentioned. I just applied logic and a little read of the T&C's. Looks like you have a fan though ;)

Fact.... The OP doesn't owe VF anything

Fiction...
    If you cannot provide anything more than just an opinion you are not answering the OP's question. You are simply derailing the Thread.

• Advertisement

Fact.... The OP doesn't owe VF anything

Fiction...
    If you cannot provide anything more than just an opinion you are not answering the OP's question. You are simply derailing the Thread.

So everyone can get phones from VF PAYG and not have to pay for them? That's why there's terms and conditions. The same ones I linked above. The ones you don't seem to be seeing.
    You are stating the advice you are giving is legal? Can you point me to where you are seeing this information?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭28064212

So everyone can get phones from VF PAYG and not have to pay for them?
    The phone was paid for at the time of purchase
    That's why there's terms and conditions. The same ones I linked above. The ones you don't seem to be seeing.
    The terms and conditions say €127 to receive an unlock code from Vodafone. It says nothing at all about phones unlocked by other means

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

First off BAZZZ, thank you for responding to me despite your promise not to....

VF can have all the T&C's they like. That doesn't mean they are all legally binding.
    For the last time, while VF do insist on a certain top-up figure before giving an unlock code, that does not preclude a person from obtaining a code elsewhere.

So everyone can get phones from VF PAYG and not have to pay for them? That's why there's terms and conditions. The same ones I linked above. The ones you don't seem to be seeing.
    You are stating the advice you are giving is legal? Can you point me to where you are seeing this information?

Where does it say they don’t have to pay for them? A PAYG phone is bought in full at the time. The €127 is for an unlock code from them but you’re free to buy the unlock code elsewhere if you choose to.

You seem to be confusing this with the minimum spend on a bill pay contract in order to receive an unlock code.

Where does it say they don’t have to pay for them? A PAYG phone is bought in full at the time. The €127 is for an unlock code from them but you’re free to buy the unlock code elsewhere if you choose to.

You seem to be confusing this with the minimum spend on a bill pay contract in order to receive an unlock code.

No, that's the minimum amount of PAYG credit you're required to buy, so they recoup some of the discount they may be offering on a device.

@OP, the easiest way to unlock a Vodafone device is if you request the code through someone you know that is on a Vodafone contract. They usually can request up to 2 or 3 codes per year. I've used my mother-in-laws account multiple times for this purpose.

First off BAZZZ, thank you for responding to me despite your promise not to....

VF can have all the T&C's they like. That doesn't mean they are all legally binding.
    For the last time, while VF do insist on a certain top-up figure before giving an unlock code, that does not preclude a person from obtaining a code elsewhere.

Ok you really love getting the last word, we know that much.
    Prove to me where it's legal to do what you are suggesting? I've proved my side of the argument you started. By quoting the facts(not fiction like you tried to point out)...

So show me where it states what you are saying. Or just carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

The condition is that if you want to get an unlock code from VF you will pay them €127 or maybe nothing if your granny has a VF account. :D

If you don't want an unlock code from VF you don't have to buy, nobody can force you.

If you can unlock the phone by any other means VF can do nada about it.

end of.

That's not correct. You do not pay the full price for all PAYG phones, it's always
    less than the actual value. I'm not confusing anything. Can you prove me wrong?

Prove to me where it's legal to do what you are suggesting? I've proved my side of the argument you started. By quoting the facts(not fiction like you tried to point out)...

That's not how laws work though. Laws typically state what's illegal, not legal. If they stated everything that's legal then a book of laws would require more paper than there is available on the planet. It's up to you to show us the law that states it's illegal, not for us to show you a law that states it's legal.

And, as previously mentioned, Vodafone's terms and conditions merely tell you the conditions under which you are eligible to get an unlock code from them, they do not tell you anything about the legality of getting an unlock code from elsewhere.

"That's not correct. You do not pay the full price for all PAYG phones, it's always
    less than the actual value. I'm not confusing anything. Can you prove me wrong? "

Full price and actual price are meaningless terms.

VF buy phones from suppliers only they know what they pay for them.

A supplier selling an unlocked phone is a single transaction.
    Whatever profit he makes on the single trancation is all he is getting.

VF are selling a phone and a service. They price the phone in the hope that you will keep using there service.
    They try to keep you using the service by charging you €127 to exit.

There is no morality to this, they are just two suppliers trying to maximise their profits.

• Advertisement

I didn't start an argument . I simply corrected the erroneous advice given by yourself in post #4.
    You didn't prove anything....you just quoted VF's T&C's. I have already said that their minimum top-up requirement is not legally binding in any way.

You don't appear to like being corrected and have continued to insist that the OP is obliged to either keep topping up until he reaches €127 (or just pay VF the €127). He is not obliged to do so. If you cannot get your head around this that would be a matter for yourself to deal with.

....and again I really must thank you for all your replies, despite your initial reluctance to reply to me :rolleyes:.

I think there'll have to be an entrance fee put on this thread at this stage. Everybody has something to say. Full of all sorts of comedians.

In terms of the legality of phone unlocking they've contributed just as much as you, i.e. not at all. :)

In terms of giving out misleading and outright false information though you certainly have them easily beaten. :pac:

"In terms of the legality of phone unlocking they've contributed just as much as you, i.e. not at all. "

You want the law... you can't handle the law.....:D

Comreg is the law here and they simple point to the contract.

https://www.comreg.ie/consumer-information/mobile-phone/unlock/

The contract says you want unlock code you give VF 127 eurots.

paddy19 wrote: »
    "In terms of the legality of phone unlocking they've contributed just as much as you, i.e. not at all. "

Again, nothing there is indicative of anything to do with buying unlock codes from of online sellers, it is only states the typical conditions needed for service providers to give out such codes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueYUwcZV-n0

In terms of the legality of phone unlocking they've contributed just as much as you, i.e. not at all. :)

In terms of giving out misleading and outright false information though you certainly have them easily beaten. :pac:

What have I said that's misleading? Show me exactly what is false and misleading. I simply didn't want the OP to land himself in trouble. The stuff I quoted from the T&C's is correct. You're very full of yourself aren't you.

paddy19 wrote: »

pay-as-you-go / pre-pay in this case so there is no contract

What have I said that's misleading? Show me exactly what is false and misleading. I simply didn't want the OP to land himself in trouble. The stuff I quoted from the T&C's is correct. You're very full of yourself aren't you.

You were false and misleading here
    You'll need to work something out with VF.

because it's not true, and here
    I'm not experienced in this. But I wouldn't be giving that out as lawful advice.
    I just applied logic and a little read of the T&C's.

because you are suggesting that there is a correlation between the T&C's you quoted and legality of buying unlock codes online, which also isn't true.

:)

because it's not true, and here

because you are suggesting that there is a correlation between the T&C's you quoted and legality of buying unlock codes online, which also isn't true.

:)

I mentioned in my very first post that the phone could easily be unlocked? I quoted that VF look for €127 for their unlock. I quoted that fact in the post.

Quote:

How the **** is that false and misleading? Suggesting to work something out with VF ...........
    Aristotle by name, but that's about it.

"pay-as-you-go / pre-pay in this case so there is no contract "

There is always a contract when you buy anything.

It's doesn't have to be written but it's still there.

They agree to supply, you agree to buy.

Bill/pay just has different terms and conditions to pre/pay.

• Advertisement

I mentioned in my very first post that the phone could easily be unlocked? I quoted that VF look for €127 for their unlock. I quoted that fact in the post.

I didn't reference any of that? Let me make it simpler for you. Is the following statement true or not?

If it is, then link to the law that states it, and if you can't, then you are being misleading. Simples. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement