Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slidavan diy build - anyone built one?

Options
  • 29-09-2019 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, I'm thinking of taking on this build as a winter project and was just wondering has anyone on here built one.

https://youtu.be/41c36Bbrqsg

https://www.woodenwidget.com/slidagallery.htm

You can't buy these, you can only buy the plans and self build, but it seems straightforward enough.
    The simple design and foldability of it suits my requirements, I don't need much luxury. Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Looks like a nice project but couple of things I would say. I've seen several esterel folding caravans go during the winter for similar money that you could build that for. The end result is very 'agricultural'. A teardrop trailer is a lot more attractive imo aare you short for space vertically?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Looks interesting but the big factor with caravans is weather resistance and for my money properly sealed Fibreglass is still the best at resisting the Irish climate.
    Freedom Microlites are pretty reasonable to buy, the build costs for a caravan like that won't be that cheap, windows are expensive and the trailer likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Thanks for the replies folks. I've been considering 3 different angles: a teardrop, a box trailer conversion, and this. I'm tall and I like to sit with a cuppa and a newspaper, so the teardrop probably wouldn't suit. I haven't fully ruled it out yet, though sourcing the aluminium skin seems to be a problem. I still like the box trailer idea but they're not cheap. It would certainly be the easiest way. As regards the slidavan, I quite like the agricultural edge to it, it gives the most room and I also like the idea of having built from scratch, and also it's uniqueness. I have a couple of possible donor trailers and storage is not a problem, though I'd prefer the height of the teardrop and slidavan. As for costs, I don't mind doing this over a period of time so I'd hope to pick up a lot of used stuff on the likes of adverts cheaply as it arises.

I've just had a look there, I like those esterels. Hmmmmm.

On second thoughts no, anything available is from the 70s and 80s, or else really expensive. I'll stick with a project, which one though:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 MattLV

Hi, I've actually just started building a slidavan and was wondering if anyone else had done one too.

Haven't even started gathering the materials yet Matt, as usual life got in the way. Hopefully this summer. What part of the country are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

We make GRP panels and GRP panelled vehicles, amongst other things - and we use a lot of very high quality, through & through Birch ply.

I'd never put a timber external on a body. We usually laminate GRP onto the ply - it is the only thing that will last. Ply in this climate will swell & split, guaranteed, eventually. I've even made 'Shepherds Huts' and our own Glamping Pods using that method for a variety of customers :

503486.jpg

Not looking for work, but just showing what we do: https://quinnrv.com/video/

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I've thought about doing one of these for the kids numerous times but it definitely comes after finishing the new house, finishing the boat, remodelling the camper etc etc. 😜

If you can get clean ply I would taper the front end and stitch and glue a nice aerodynamic roof and laminate it in clear or tinted polyurethane like a dinghy. Stitch and glue allows a lot more freedom of form you can get a lot of stiffness and strength with very little weight and bracing and it wouldn't end up looking like a portacabin/dog box. If you get tired of the clear coat or the plywood darkens too much in the light you can throw a self levelling topside boat paint like Brightside on to get the brand new look back every few years.

Hi Martin, I'm actually in UK just north of London. Probably a bit strange for me to come on an Irish chat board but this was literally the only place Google could find where there was a mention of anyone actually building one of these. Maybe there's a reason for that but oh well....in for a penny hahaha.
    I've not been at it long, just finished making up the second panel and there's a few more to go but so far the plans have been easy enough to follow for a novice like me.
    My deadline is June 23rd. Wish me luck hahaha

• Advertisement

Good luck. I'd love to see a few photos of the progress if you get a chance.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I have to agree with galwaytt on this one.
    Fibreglass is the only material to use in the irish climate for a self build
    caravan type vehicle. Any other material with any other covering just wont
    do the business.

An alternative is cladding with aluminium composite panels as used for road signage etc. I've seen a few teardrops done like that. Bends beautifully in one plane only down to radius of 15 times the thickness of the sheet.

https://www.accessplastics.com/composite-aluminium-sheets/

By the time you've bought seam joint profiles sealants etc grp is probably similar price

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AeroNautiCal

MattLV wrote: »
    Hi Martin, I'm actually in UK just north of London. Probably a bit strange for me to come on an Irish chat board but this was literally the only place Google could find where there was a mention of anyone actually building one of these. Maybe there's a reason for that but oh well....in for a penny hahaha.
    I've not been at it long, just finished making up the second panel and there's a few more to go but so far the plans have been easy enough to follow for a novice like me.
    My deadline is June 23rd. Wish me luck hahaha

I'm in London and have been wanting to build myself a Slidavan but encountered some setbacks in the form of my entire set of professional tools being stolen and not being able to find somewhere affordable to build it in near my home!

There's nothing to compare a Slidavan to as it's unique and incredibly lightweight for a caravan and I will get to build my own, hopefully by next year.

The Teardrops n' Tiny Travel Trailers forum likes them and it might also be an idea to post your build on there as it'll get considerable interest.

tntt.com

Thank you for posting about yours, I have always wanted to see one being built by an owner.

I'll try and post a few pics once I'm allowed

seems I have to have made at least 5 posts. This is #4

and this is #5

So this is my base trailer. It's nothing like the bare aluminum trailer that's in the plans, but it's the one I had so it's the one I'm using.

20200119-210528.jpg

The trailer was somewhat lacking in cross members so I added some hefty reinforcement. I'm not too worried about making this thing super light or anything.

Not seeing anything. Go to a hosting site like photo bucket and upload them there. Click on the 'hotlink for forums' tag and then just paste them here.

Gluing inner battens on the floor...

20200212-193221.jpg

• Advertisement

Battens and insulation foam for floor panel

20200215-172344.jpg

Floor complete. Does anyone have a messier workshop than me?

20200217-130202.jpg

Lower side panel

20200219-203641.jpg

Made up the first of 5 room beams

20200223-200455.jpg

Applying glue for one of the lower end panels

20200301-141020.jpg

that's all for now folks!

Not seeing anything. Go to a hosting site like photo bucket and upload them there. Click on the 'hotlink for forums' tag and then just paste them here.

Hopefully those pics are visible now Martin?

What thickness and type of ply are you using? (sorry, yes they're there now)

What thickness and type of ply are you using? (sorry, yes they're there now)

3.5mm thick. Plans state 3mm but 3.5 was the thinnest I could get.
    Sheet sizes are imperial so 1220x2440mm

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

MattLV wrote: »
    Made up the first of 5 room beams

20200223-200455.jpg

AS you have no former to clamp to, how do you know each beam will be identical??

• Advertisement

kadman wrote: »
    AS you have no former to clamp to, how do you know each beam will be identical??

That's actually a jig that the strip wood is clamped to while being glued together, so the beams should come out the same give or take.

The second one is getting un-clamped today so I'll do a comparison and let you know.

In other news....I've never owned so many clamps! :D

Advertisement