Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Humanist celebrant

Options
  • 03-03-2015 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Starting to research our celebrant for our wedding next year and wondering if any of you who had a humanist celebrant could pm me with your experiences and recommendations please?

We've been looking at the website but it's difficult to get a feel for someone from a short biography so would appreciate any advice.

Thanks as always :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

You don't get to pick and choose who you get,you email the Humanist society and they assign whoever is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

pooch90 wrote: »
    You don't get to pick and choose who you get,you email the Humanist society and they assign whoever is available.

Eh yeah you do. I contacted our celebrant directly. She was the most local and we just went with a date she had available.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Oh really? I've just been contacting a few via email and have had a couple of replies so far. They didn't mention contacting a general email address. Now I'm confused!

fits wrote: »
    Eh yeah you do. I contacted our celebrant directly. She was the most local and we just went with a date she had available.

Have you had your wedding yet fits? I've never been to a humanist ceremony and would love to hear what it's like if you wouldn't mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

Oh really? I've just been contacting a few via email and have had a couple of replies so far. They didn't mention contacting a general email address. Now I'm confused!

You dont have to use a general address. Dont mind that post.

We havent had our ceremony yet but all good so far with bridget carlin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Have you had your wedding yet fits? I've never been to a humanist ceremony and would love to hear what it's like if you wouldn't mind?
    We had a humanist wedding a few years ago, and it was a very good experience. We had Brian Whiteside and would recommend him. He really made the ceremony very memorable.

Delighted to hear that lazygal thanks for the reply. Unfortunately Brian isnt available for our date but great to hear it went well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

We had Billy Hutchinson, who was really wonderful on the day and in the lead-up and is just a lovely person in general. He's Dublin/Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

Elaine Morris. Lovely, professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

almorris wrote: »
    Elaine Morris. Lovely, professional.

Tina Storey did our wedding and she was brilliant to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

fits wrote: »
    You dont have to use a general address. Dont mind that post.

We havent had our ceremony yet but all good so far with bridget carlin.

When we booked, that was how you had to do it, maybe they have changed it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

As a general comment and not aimed at any one person - perhaps it would be worthwhile creating a sticky for the general process involved in organising a humanist or civil ceremony.

There often seems to be confusion around the differences between the two and the criteria that must be met. E.g. (though I too could be wrong!) that civil ceremonies can't be held outdoors generally or that they can only be performed Monday to Friday.

A simple, experience based stickied thread may help.
    Just a thought.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Tina Storey did our wedding and she was brilliant to deal with.

She's doing ours in May. Limited choices for Limerick due to the fact that there are quite a few of them who have geographical restrictions (Dublin area only or Cork/Kerry only).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Emma Sides performed our ceremony. Extremely helpful in assisting us in deciding the content of the ceremony, advising what elements would work and what wouldn't, timings etc. Very easy going and personable. We got a lot of compliments about our ceremony afterwards and how Emma performed it. Couldn't have been happier really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

I would probably answer "whoever you can get". There is a huge demand for humanist celebrants now, and even if your wedding is next year you may find it hard to find someone. If you are having a Saturday wedding, or are in the greater Dublin area, it's going to be even more difficult.
    We have someone booked for this year, and only got this because she's a "new" celebrant. Otherwise we would not have been able to get anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

We have Eithne Dempsey booked. I love her. She was so nice when we met. She also said she would ask everyone not to post on social media and for us to not have to be the bad guys.

I'm really looking forward to having her

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

We had Emma Sides here too and she was just great, She made our day so special!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭snoopy29

We had Susie Kennedy and she was a lovely woman to talk with and she performed a beautiful ceremony. We were all in tears at the end of it, including her!

Thanks for all the replies everyone. All sorted now, having spoken to Emma Sides this morning I'm delighted that she's available as she sounds so lovely and exactly what we want for our ceremony.

I will say to anyone interested in having a Humanist celebrant to get booking asap as they are booking up fast for next year already.

Thanks again for all your help & advice. I'd be lost without this forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

We have Eithne Dempsey booked. I love her. She was so nice when we met. She also said she would ask everyone not to post on social media and for us to not have to be the bad guys.

I'm really looking forward to having her

+1 for Eithne. Lovely and easy to deal with. Only downside is she's a Man Utd fan ☺

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

+1 for Eithne. Lovely and easy to deal with. Only downside is she's a Man Utd fan ☺

Ha ha that's a plus for us. My fiancée will be delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Cainer

We had Emma Sides too, she was wonderful from beginning to end so you're very lucky she was available. Good luck with your wedding!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Can a Humanist celebrant legally solemnise, or do you do that part seperately?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭snoopy29

Humanist ceremonies are legal in Ireland so now separate legalities to take care of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

snoopy29 wrote: »
    Humanist ceremonies are legal in Ireland so now separate legalities to take care of.

Ah brilliant, great to see the scope of options widening so much!

I'll be able to legally solemnise from July 2016. Bring it on!! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭kmmh58

Sorry to hijack your post OP. We intend to marry in September 2016, tonight I started to contact people for Humanist ceremony. It feels a little extreme so far in advance but we shall push on :)
    fannymagee wrote: »
    Ah brilliant, great to see the scope of options widening so much!

I'll be able to legally solemnise from July 2016. Bring it on!! ;-)

how do you become a solemniser?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

kmmh58 wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack your post OP. We intend to marry in September 2016, tonight I started to contact people for Humanist ceremony. It feels a little extreme so far in advance but we shall push on :)

how do you become a solemniser?

You will be lucky to get one even this far ahead. I contacted several celebrants about 3 weeks for August 2016 and only one available. That was Billy Hutchinson who we are meeting in a couple of weeks, so Def get contacting asap!!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭kmmh58

andreac wrote: »
    You will be lucky to get one even this far ahead. I contacted several celebrants about 3 weeks for August 2016 and only one available. That was Billy Hutchinson who we are meeting in a couple of weeks, so Def get contacting asap!!

I only contacted 2 people, should I contact more?

Hiya,

I would contact as many as possible if I was you. We're getting married on a Saturday in April next year and out of 8 we contacted only three were available on our date.

Best of luck with your search!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Definitely. I contacted 7 or 8 I think and only One was free. Thank god as I was starting to panic.

Advertisement