Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Humanist celebrant

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 pablo102

I wonder how the ceremony itself look like?
    I'm asking from the wedding photographer point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

try bridgit carlin , she aint available 10th june next year though;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

pablo102 wrote: »

Similar to a civil I think really. You can have it as you want and add things to it as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

There's lots on wedding websites if you have a browse around the blogs

• Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

kmmh58 wrote: »
    how do you become a solemniser?
    Assuming you want to become a humanist solemniser, you become a member of the Humanist Association of Ireland, you get selected, trained and accredited by them as a solemniser of weddings, they nominate you to the Registrar General as a solemniser, he enters your name in the Register of Solemnisers, and you're good to go. You have to be over 18, and generally thought to be a fit and proper person to solemnise marriages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

Main thing is you need to work a lot faster as the ceremony's only last 30 mins max.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Trix

hey all.

how much did your humanists charge you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Trix wrote: »
    hey all.

how much did your humanists charge you?

Well the one i am meeting this month said his charge is €450.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

andreac wrote: »
    Well the one i am meeting this month said his charge is €450.

Same for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

We were quoted 550. With over an hour travel time. Are we being overcharged?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The travel time could be a factor - we have a celebrant from Limerick city for a Limerick city wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

We're paying €475 for ours .

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Trix

thanks everyone. waiting to hear back how much our one is charging. probably should have been first thing I asked but they're hard to book at short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

Ours was €450 also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

A friends' humanist celebrant was 450E. Based in Dublin and travelling to the wedding in a neighbouring county.

Ours is 600euro with two hours travel

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

There are other celebrants out there who are not associated to anyone in that they work for themselves. Romy McAuley is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Ours is 500 and that includes travel, meetings and writing the ceremony etc

Sugar Free wrote: »
    As a general comment and not aimed at any one person - perhaps it would be worthwhile creating a sticky for the general process involved in organising a humanist or civil ceremony.

There often seems to be confusion around the differences between the two and the criteria that must be met. E.g. (though I too could be wrong!) that civil ceremonies can't be held outdoors generally or that they can only be performed Monday to Friday.

A simple, experience based stickied thread may help.
    Just a thought.

I think that would be very helpful. People don't realise there are only 20 Humanist celebrants in the country (1 celebrant for every @ 8,000 people of "No religion" according to the last census, compared to 1 for every 800 or so Catholics).

Fits' approach of finding the celebrant they wanted and organising the date around them is probably the best way to go.
    almorris wrote: »
    There are other celebrants out there who are not associated to anyone in that they work for themselves. Romy McAuley is excellent.

Do you mean someone who is not a registered solemniser but will "perform" the ceremony?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

There are also 12 Interfaith Ministers in Ireland, who can legally solemnise in the same way Humanists do- with the exception that they also offer non-secular ceremonies (good for people who want a more traditional style ceremony, and also the Jedi/Pastafarians amongst us) ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I think that would be very helpful. People don't realise there are only 20 Humanist celebrants in the country (1 celebrant for every @ 8,000 people of "No religion" according to the last census, compared to 1 for every 800 or so Catholics).

HSE civil registrars are also available.... I think that's a decent option if you want to avoid the "What is a humanist" sales pitch at your wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

pwurple wrote: »
    HSE civil registrars are also available.... I think that's a decent option if you want to avoid the "What is a humanist" sales pitch at your wedding.

Maybe you could post details of your priest who did an offsite not quite Catholic but ok for atheist Christians or Catholicsmarriage service? It could help Cork based couples out I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

pwurple wrote: »

Our celebrant gave us the option of including a paragraph about Humanism in our ceremony or not. It seems to be completely up to the couple if they choose to include it.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

ours is 500 incl travel , having said that , she has a bit of work designing the ceremony , and also the pamphlets , which the future mrs brandnewaward and i decided on the elvish theme along with music from lord of the rings

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

stinkle wrote: »
    Our celebrant gave us the option of including a paragraph about Humanism in our ceremony or not. It seems to be completely up to the couple if they choose to include it.

Ours too. No selling of anything at our wedding. I have been to church weddings where a celebrant made a point of emphasizing the religious denomination though.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

What kind of deposits were you asked for. One asked us for €200 & the one we booked only asked us for €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

What kind of deposits were you asked for. One asked us for €200 & the one we booked only asked us for €50.

Hiya,

We paid €100 deposit and our celebrant is charging €450 total.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Our humanist celebrant charges E450. He has to travel for 90 minutes, but that's because he lives very rurally. We're getting married in the city centre and there's no travel charge. He also hasn't charged a deposit, as he's happy to be paid in full on the day.

We are paying deposits to everyone as it suited us. 200e we have paid to the ministers but I'm not sure what she wanted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Slightly off topic but didnt want a new thread. Does the Humanist/Celebrant get invited to the dinner? Or is that another 'if you want to' thing?

Advertisement