Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NFL Protest Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Well Kaep has been able to raise a lot of money to try help the cause he was promoting but I agree, the major debate regarding this was the method and right of protesting rather than the reason for protesting.
    Time may reflect very well on Kaep, if the issue does eventually get tackled. I somehow think it'll take a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The poll stuff is interesting but just really addressing this part.

In my opinion staying out of it would have possibly been worse than choosing either side. You would end up not pleasing either, causing a greater divide and then a grounds for both sides to find a common agreement in the fact that they would both be annoyed/angry with the lack of action or help by the league in regards to it's own activities. I don't think staying out of it was every a viable option with the media attention and fans reaction.

They were never going to make both sides happy but by choosing one they enraged the protesters and it still didn’t satisfy those who were against the protest. They had plenty of cover to not choose a side, especially with the first amendment. The intense focus was always going to blow over and pretty much had by the time they brought in their new policy.
    I would say I find it funny when people use the phrase "small majority", I understand what you're saying but it's a funny thing to read, still a majority. And again, I don't agree that this is down to the league just "giving into Trump". If nobody shared the same opinions as him in America regarding this situation then his words would have had no influence.

Like I said, if a majority of the fans were angered by the actions and threathening to boycott, that's financial losses to the league. Tie in their link with American Military and the sponsorships and support that comes with that they would have feared siding with Kap would have been seen as "un-patriotic" by the fans and media representives who were calling it so, and result in further losses.

It is a similar mindset to this that has Britain in its current Brexit situation. Just because a small majority feel a certain way about a vague question it doesn’t make sense to assume the best course of action is the most aggressive one in the direction of that question.

You’re making a huge and incorrect assumption that people saying they didn’t support the protest means they are going to boycott the NFL or its sponsors. There is no evidence of any sort of sizeable boycott last year during the height of the media attention on protests.
    Also why use the phrase "even settled"? Could all this have been handled better? Definitely but a settlement is not a win or lose for either side. I posted an interesting article about this early in the week. Although the settlement is to do accusations of collusion stopping Kaepernick from being signed, I don't believe you can use the fact they settled as a justification of how poorly you believe they handled it. Both sides settled. Would you say Kaepernick made poor judgement calls and even settled?

I used the phrase because it shows how much the NFL backtracked. They went from bringing in a policy to putting it on hold to deferring it potentially indefinitely and for Kaepernick they went from claiming he had no case and trying to get it thrown out of court to settling. I feel Kaepernick definitely also made some poor judgement calls but to me he was coming from such a position of weakness that getting a settlement is a win, especially when it could include benefits that the court could never give him (eg a route back to the league, impact on their policies).
    I reckon we'll have to agree to disagree regarding the motiviation or reasoning behind the NFL's stance/decision. While I agree it was handled poorly, I do not believe it was simply old white owners of the NFL "giving into Trump". It was a business decision based on fear of losses to earnings.

Don't think either of us will be swaying but it's always interesting hearing other side.

Even if it was a business decision it was a terrible one which is why they quickly backtracked. They annoyed a huge group of their own employees and customers due to fear of a practically non-existent boycott and the decision they made didn’t even satisfy the most vocal opponents to the protest (Trump etc.)

I think agreeing to disagree here is the right move but a good discussion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Then unfortunately it failed as a protest. The discussion and debate was about about kneeling/flags/Kaep/NFL..... and in the end the NFL gets rid of it from their doorstep and Kaep gets a lot of money. IMO I'm not sure it actually really touched or really affected the issue.

It's pretty classic misdirection and history is littered with examples of it. It's too early to judge exactly how the whole thing has gone.

For those who were remarking on Kaepernick in the locker room, here are comments from one of Kaepernick's former teammates on how he approached the situation in the locker room and how he warned players from early in the protest that they might get blacklisted

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/2/20/18232588/colin-kaepernick-settlement-kneeling-players-michael-wilhoite

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Strange news that Kaepernick was in discussion with the XFL about a contract, considering Vince McMahon and the leagues anti-protest stance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,126 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Foxtrol wrote: »
    For those who were remarking on Kaepernick in the locker room, here are comments from one of Kaepernick's former teammates on how he approached the situation in the locker room and how he warned players from early in the protest that they might get blacklisted

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/2/20/18232588/colin-kaepernick-settlement-kneeling-players-michael-wilhoite

He comes across very well throughout this whole thing does Kaepernick.

Report: Colin Kaepernick, Eric Reid to Receive Less Than $10 Million in Settlement With NFL
    https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/21/colin-kaepernick-settlement-amount-withdraws-collusion-case-eric-reid

Big difference from the 60m-80m that was initially reported. 10m (before legal fees) shared still isn't a bad pay day, but does seem cheap for the NFL to have this go away.

Report: Colin Kaepernick, Eric Reid to Receive Less Than $10 Million in Settlement With NFL
    https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/21/colin-kaepernick-settlement-amount-withdraws-collusion-case-eric-reid

Big difference from the 60m-80m that was initially reported. 10m (before legal fees) shared still isn't a bad pay day, but does seem cheap for the NFL to have this go away.

It's odd how wrong reports got it.

Where was their source or was it just rumours that ran wild. Very cheap for the NFL to try quiet this up and move on.

Where was their source or was it just rumours that ran wild. Very cheap for the NFL to try quiet this up and move on.

Or how wrong this report is. It is a confidential agreement, so I’m not sure how you can justify fully trusting one over the other.

Now that there are conflicting reports, most people will likely just believe the one that fits their narrative or what they hope happened.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Or how wrong this report is. It is a confidential agreement, so I’m not sure how you can justify fully trusting one over the other.

Now that there are conflicting reports, most people will likely just believe the one that fits their narrative or what they hope happened.

True. Maybe it's somewhere in the middle.

The initial value reported has appeared to come from speculation/estimations from NFL officials, while the second came from Wall Street Journal citing sources briefed on the deal. Maybe we will never get the full information but since so many news sites have been quick to correct the previous report it would lead me to believe it's more plausible the initial report was not certain (based of estimations would suggest that too) and rather the new one has more grounds to be believed. However you could be right.

Then again perhaps the above will be proven wrong, I'm just personally more likely to believe it. I don't think many will still believe the 80mill figure (although few seemed to) due to nearly every journalist mentioning it has now said it was incorrect, but this one may not be entirely correct either like you said.

• Advertisement

It’s still a confidential agreement between both parties, so who knows. The 60m - 80m was Twitter stuff, the 10m is a more reliable source (as sources go).
    I never believed the 60-80m. But like a lot of lies (just look at Brexit), when you have an agenda, you can spread them quickly; when the truth comes out, it gets less headlines.
    But as I said previous on this, both parties settled, who knows who would have won. Easy money for the two claimants, and an easy out for the NFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭FreeThePants

If it was about the United States anthem, why the silence from Trumps base on this?

Probably because it wasn't actually about the anthem at all. I would discount the few dozen (out of tens of millions) of Trump supporters that may have criticised him for this though. For the rest, it wasn't about the anthem.

Time may reflect very well on Kaep, if the issue does eventually get tackled. I somehow think it'll take a while yet.

Police brutality dominating the news worldwide and his protest getting a lot of reaction on.social media again, in a "they should have listened to him" way.

Police brutality dominating the news worldwide and his protest getting a lot of reaction on.social media again, in a "they should have listened to him" way.

It is laughable to see Trump, Pence, wider GOP, and their supporters in the media state how much they value peaceful protests, after spending years abusing players in the NFL and elsewhere for their peaceful protest.

Pence cost taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars when he flew to a Colts game for the photo op of him walking out in disgust at their protest

Drew Brees was just yesterday jumping on the blackout bandwagon and today stating that he still believes that Kaepernick and other peaceful protesters, including those on his team, were disrespecting the flag.

Both incredibly tone deaf and shows how hollow his PR yesterday was.

I don't think I feel bad about those unfortunate Saints playoff losses anymore.

https://twitter.com/byjoelanderson/status/1268227814521581573?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

...and follow up tweet about how his comments were taken out of context bound to arrive shortly.

Some PR guy obviously got to Vic Fangio over the past 24 hours. He went into reverse pretty quickly today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I always suspected that Brees is a knob.

D9Male wrote: »
    I always suspected that Brees is a knob.

Malcolm Jenkins thinks so too it seems. This is the end of a video (since deleted) that he posted on his Instagram.

https://twitter.com/TimothyRRyder/status/1268294832646225920

Malcolm Jenkins thinks so too it seems. This is the end of a video (since deleted) that he posted on his Instagram.

https://twitter.com/TimothyRRyder/status/1268294832646225920

Here's a bit more leading up to that. I'm sure the full one is out there.

He has been protesting in Philly over the last few nights so not surprised at this reaction.

Thomas and Sanders also made comments about it. Drew will have a lot to do to try to dig himself out of this

https://twitter.com/JClarkNBCS/status/1268296832175742977?s=20

• Advertisement

What did Brees say that was so bad? He has a reverence to the flag (that I personally don't agree with), to him it reminds him of those that fought/died in WW2, those that fought for civil rights, ....... so he sees kneeling to the flag as disrespectful to those (I don't agree with him).

For Malcolm Jenkins to say Bress is the problem and telling him to shut the f*** up, is a pile of crap though. It's the kind of reaction that'll push people like Bress, who just don't want the flag disrespected, away from the cause. Racist people/cops/etc are the problem, not Brees.

So you might say Bress isn't listening to the real problem that Jenkins has. Well, Jenkins isn't listening either, just telling Brees to shut the f*** up. Can't Brees be against racism and against what he sees as disrespecting something meaningful to him? That OTT reaction is why you get Donald Trump in power. The extreme left type reaction, pushing those on the left/center away.

I don't agree with Brees on the flag, but I also don't see him as the problem. His work in NO and the $5m donation for COVID puts Brees at the back of any problem queue for me on this issue.

This is why I don't like sport stars being involved with politics. I didn't have a problem with Jadon Sancho's t-shirt message, cause I agree with it. But if you allow it, then you have to let people have their pro-Trumo style messages too. Want to be political? Get into politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I have no problem with what brees said.

Typical anti white racism from the blacks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What Brees said was pretty stupid and he was rightly called out on it from everyone from his teammates, Lebron James, Aaron Rodgers, Richard Sherman, Michael Thomas etc.

Brees showed his ignorance of the issues black people in the US are facing and showed he either didn't care or didn't take the time to understand what Kaepernick was protesting about in the first place.

Instead of showing same compassion and understanding of current events he came out with the same tired agenda that has been used to discredit and blackball Colin from the league.

He did this at the worst possible time. At the very least any chance of a post playing career in media have taken a big setback.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

adrian522 wrote: »
    What Brees said was pretty stupid and he was rightly called out on it from everyone from his teammates, Lebron James, Aaron Rodgers, Richard Sherman, Michael Thomas etc.

Brees showed his ignorance of the issues black people in the US are facing and showed he either didn't care or didn't take the time to understand what Kaepernick was protesting about in the first place.

Instead of showing same compassion and understanding of current events he came out with the same tired agenda that has been used to discredit and blackball Colin from the league.

He did this at the worst possible time. At the very least any chance of a post playing career in media have taken a big setback.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
    Not this again...

He wanted a starting job and top wages. He didnt play well enough to justify that. And wont take a backup job. Look at winston, etc that took low contracts as backups after losing starting jobs.

It's nothing to do with race, it's ability and salary, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Agree with most of what you said above Munster.

Brees gives his opinion on respecting the flag and gets told to shut the f up and keep quiet. At the same time everyone from Obama, Tiger Woods and political commentators are calling for discussion, listening skills and education to be at the fore of any potential progress that can be made.

Whilst Brees might have fallen short on some of these, people essentially telling him that he doesn’t have a right to express this opinion most certainly have

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

ELM327 wrote: »
    Not this again...

He wanted a starting job and top wages. He didnt play well enough to justify that. And wont take a backup job. Look at winston, etc that took low contracts as backups after losing starting jobs.

He was a starting QB when he took the knee ffs.

...the blacks.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Do you mean "black people"?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Not this again...

He wanted a starting job and top wages.

Incorrect. This is false, he was prepared to workout for Seattle for the backup to Wilson.
    He didnt play well enough to justify that. And wont take a backup job

Incorrect. As above he was prepared to compete for qa backup job but wasn;t offered any.
    Look at winston, etc that took low contracts as backups after losing starting jobs.

Incorrect, what backup jobs was he offered?

:eek:

Better than at least half the starting QB's in the league and better than all the backups.

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Agree with most of what you said above Munster.

Brees gives his opinion on respecting the flag and gets told to shut the f up and keep quiet. At the same time everyone from Obama, Tiger Woods and political commentators are calling for discussion, listening skills and education to be at the fore of any potential progress that can be made.

Whilst Brees might have fallen short on some of these, people essentially telling him that he doesn’t have a right to express this opinion most certainly have

This issue has been around for years and despite Brees' PR stunts on race he made it clear yesterday that he hasn't been listening.

Sometimes when it is clear a friend isn't listening you have to tell them to shut up for their own good and do a better job of hearing the other side.

What Brees basically said yesterday was that his perception of disrespect to an inanimate object is more important than the lives of the majority of his team mates and their families.

• Advertisement

I have no problem with what brees said.

Typical anti white racism from the blacks.

Of course you don't, the rest of your post says all we need to know about why you feel that way.

Remarkable insecurity on show.

Advertisement