Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does everyone have a treat everyday?

Options
  • 13-02-2020 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭

I find when I have a treat everyday (like a small funsize bar of chocolate with my morning coffee or two biscuits)

I'm more inclined to eat healthier throughout the day and more balanced. I'm of the mind that this is okay.

Like for example a 'good day' for me diet wise would be

Porridge made with water and a drop of milk and banana for breakfast.

Chicken salad with a small bit of Caesar or garlic mayo for lunch.

Dinner would be a homemade meal like a pulled pork rice salad bowl or else a shephards pie etc

Snacks:
    Usually an actimel and /or a rice cake

I think I'd struggle due to my own 'food issues' to not have a treat everyday, then I may splurge or go all out instead.

Anyone the same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yup
    Fun sized snack sandwich, kit Kat or twix top with a cup of tea shortly after dinner is a non-negotiable for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Tend to do it less now, but I definitely believe in everything in moderation. Punishing yourself or denying yourself small treats only leads to binges in my experience.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Yes, everyday! Although I spend more treats making meals better (eg agave honey with yogurt & fruit; Mayflower curry with chips!). But with coffee I'll have 4 Mikado or a Hi-Fi/Alpen bar; the Pop-chips in Costa are under 100 calories, and the Aldi peanut butter popcorn are around 130 calories and are delicious! It's brilliant how tasty low calorie food has gotten!

By has anyone tried Zollipops? (Sugar-free lollipops?) 10 calories a go. It's highly rated on Amazon, and it supposedly good for your teeth/oral hygiene.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭ax530

If i have a treat I can't just keep it small. Can manage with none but then if I get chocolate want more and some every day after until I cut it out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I think if you cut all treats completely out, then it's what you're thinking of the whole time. My granny was always of a mind that a little of what you like does you good (emphasis on little - this is the woman who thought a whole French Fancy was too much).

By keeping small treats and not completely eliminating them, you're more creating a lifestyle change rather than a "diet" which is more sustainable in the long run so better results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Yep, I have a mini sized bar of chocolate every night with a cup of tea while watching telly. I wouldn't cut it out for anything, I really enjoy it and it helps me stay on track.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Yeah, non-negotiable for me to be honest! In the last two years I've gotten very bad at inhaling huge amounts of snack foods, would easily eat a pack of biscuits, or a cake, or full 500ml tub of icecream in one go. Started properly dieting 4 weeks ago, and initially cut out sugar completely and had a huge blowout 2 weeks in. Since then, I've incorporated some Bourneville dark choc into my everyday life. I'd never normally be someone who could have just one square of choc or one biscuit, but because I know I'm allowed 1 or 2 lines of this choc (60-120 calories) depending on my calorie intake that day, it makes it much easier not to say eff it and eat the whole lot, or get a massive takeaway.

I think a lil snack every day is worth it, makes the dieting less tedious!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Yeah, non-negotiable for me to be honest! In the last two years I've gotten very bad at inhaling huge amounts of snack foods, would easily eat a pack of biscuits, or a cake, or full 500ml tub of icecream in one go. Started properly dieting 4 weeks ago, and initially cut out sugar completely and had a huge blowout 2 weeks in. Since then, I've incorporated some Bourneville dark choc into my everyday life. I'd never normally be someone who could have just one square of choc or one biscuit, but because I know I'm allowed 1 or 2 lines of this choc (60-120 calories) depending on my calorie intake that day, it makes it much easier not to say eff it and eat the whole lot, or get a massive takeaway.

I think a lil snack every day is worth it, makes the dieting less tedious!

Couple of lines to get you through the day...

article_270622.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Haha sugar is definitely my drug tbf!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

A small treat daily is of course totally fine. It will have negligible impact on your overall health. I'd go mad without a bit of chocolate every day or something like that. I've started to try make my treats healthier though like instead of ice cream now after dinner Id have some berry and banana blended in a smoothie, still a good bit of sugar but at least lots of protein fibre and vitamins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Nope. Wouldn't eat chocolate/biscuits once a month. Crisps, about once a year. Cake never. I just don't have a sweet tooth and I've no interest in snacking.

I love my food, though. A treat for me would be really good pizza or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Worztron

I tend to limit treats to the weekend.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement