Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord not paying tax

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

If the landlord is tax compliant that's not your problem. It won't impact on your ability to get a mortgage in the future.
    But for those saying revenue always get their money, do you not think there are hundreds of landlords getting away without paying tax? I can't imagine revenue catch them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Get Real

Not being registered on the RTB website doesn't mean he's not paying tax. In fact, there's no way you know he's not.

Also, he may be registered with RTB, and there's a f up on the website. If he's not, it in no way affects your rights and access to rtb as a tenant.

Do you have a specific issue with the property/price/rent you agreed on when you moved in?

If not, it seems like you're looking for some sort of leverage, for reasons unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

niallers1 wrote: »
    This is very true. My apartment is not showing up on the register at the moment but I register every tenancy.
    I can see all the details when I log in to the PRTB account but it doesn't always show in their website list. Sometimes it's in the list sometimes it's not.

Same for me, my registered tenancy never showed up on the list. Not sure why not.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Correct, revenue have clearly defined that in instances like the OP (where rent is paid to an agent of the LL who is resident here despite the LL being overseas) that the tax liability is not with the tenant.

Just wanted to clarify that this is not always the case and tenants can be pursued for not witholding correct tax

Any evidence that they have ever pursued anyone for this as I would be very confident that they have not. It would be impossible for them to enforce and in most cases tenants don’t even know their LL is living abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

If the granny flat is attached to the house you may not be a tenant but a licencee. The daughter is the agent as she is collecting the rent so no need to deduct 20% and forward to revenue. Tread careful op. You could be making ripples for no reason and it could bite you badly. You may be looking for a new place to stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Any evidence that they have ever pursued anyone for this as I would be very confident that they have not. It would be impossible for them to enforce and in most cases tenants don’t even know their LL is living abroad.

I think it's only an issue if the rent is being paid directly into an overseas bank account.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I think it's only an issue if the rent is being paid directly into an overseas bank account.

No. It depends on where the landlord is tax resident.
    The nationality of the bank account itself is moot- there are plenty of non nationals holding Irish bank accounts, and vice versa- plenty of Irish holding bank accounts in other countries (including myself- for convenience purposes). Providing they are properly declared, there is no issue- however, using the nationality of a bank account as some sort of proxy for the landlord's tax domicile- just doesn't work.

Advertisement