Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No gym... Resistance tubes?

Options
  • 19-03-2020 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭

Well due to the pandemic I have no gym to go to and unfortunately have no free weights at home.

I've put a lot of effort in over the last year and gotten all my lifts higher than they've ever been and I'm in the best shape of my life at the moment. I had just started a slow cut for summer about a three weeks ago so I can't just stop now. What a waste.

I'm looking at resistance tubes at the moment because enough weights to do me are out of my price range. I've been looking at these.

25kg resistance with the three bands.. not much.

https://www.ptpfit.com/products/resistance-system

Two extra bands on this so obviously a good bit more resistance. Doesn't say how much though.

https://www.ptpfit.com/collections/featured/products/total-resistance-system

Anybody any opinions? Only so much push ups I can do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I actually ordered a set a few days ago and then while at home found a single one at the back of a wardrobe so gave it a go this morning.

Based on that very limited experience, I recommend them to get you out of a pinch. You need very little space, zero set up time and easy to bring with you. I popped something on on my laptop and did 30 mins, felt like a good alternative for now at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

If you combine the bands you increase the resistance, as does doubling them up, it's easy enough to build a fair load with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I just have a couple of resistance bands. Stand on purple band and do some rows. Red band for band pull-aparts, lateral raises, banded push ups, shoulder presses etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Yeah I got a cheap ladies band from town in sportsdirect today and wasn't bad, not much resistance but I'm sure the ones I posted will be better. Cheers lads I'll go for it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Doesn't seem to be any anywhere on the internet. Whole world just have bought them.

Amazon ones all come from China with stupid delivery dates like late April and May..

Can anyone find anything tubes? My milk carton workouts aren't doing much :( lol

• Advertisement

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to be any anywhere on the internet. Whole world just have bought them.

Amazon ones all come from China with stupid delivery dates like late April and May..

Can anyone find anything tubes? My milk carton workouts aren't doing much :( lol

What exercises do you need them for? Rows etc you can try isometrics with towels or similar. Doing movements with a tempo makes lighter weights feel heavier.

What exercises do you need them for? Rows etc you can try isometrics with towels or similar. Doing movements with a tempo makes lighter weights feel heavier.

Basically all body parts. I like how you can make them go up to a really high resistance. I currently have pink ones at home borrowed from my cousin. They're great for shoulder lateral raises but not much else.

Also have 3kg dumbbells and a heavy metal bar with milk cartons on it (desperate times call for desperate measures) I'm probably fine with what I have by doing high reps/supersets etc but the resistance tubes look brilliant.

Shame that I didn't decide to try get them two weeks ago just as the entire world was buying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

JG done a series of vids about bands and how to get the most of them, combination, twists and doubling will increase resistance.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Basically all body parts. I like how you can make them go up to a really high resistance. I currently have pink ones at home borrowed from my cousin. They're great for shoulder lateral raises but not much else.

Also have 3kg dumbbells and a heavy metal bar with milk cartons on it (desperate times call for desperate measures) I'm probably fine with what I have by doing high reps/supersets etc but the resistance tubes look brilliant.

Shame that I didn't decide to try get them two weeks ago just as the entire world was buying them.

Get the tube out of a bicycle wheel and use that as a resistance band.
    If you've only got a light band, make everything a slow tempo.

Get the tube out of a bicycle wheel and use that as a resistance band.
    If you've only got a light band, make everything a slow tempo.

The pink tubes I have, really gives me the best lateral raise burn ever. Better than I ever feel in the gym.

I'll keep an eye out for really high resistance tubes and post a link here if I find any that aren't going to take 2 months from China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I got a full set on eBay from England for 20 quid delivered. 100lbs resistance and door anchors, handles the lot. Took me a while to find them but they're on their.

I got a full set on eBay from England for 20 quid delivered. 100lbs resistance and door anchors, handles the lot. Took me a while to find them but they're on their.

Did you order them recently?

Advertisement