Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight is getting me down.

Options
  • 17-03-2020 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi, I hope I'm writing in the right place, sorry if I'm not.

I'm looking to lose a lot of weight about five stone. I had an injury a few years ago and I really lost the run of myself. Went from a lot of excercise to very little and very poor diet. I'm getting married next Summer, so a year and half away thank god, but I feel so down about it my weight. Can't even think about dresses or anything like that.

I had a moment of truth two weeks ago when I decided to stop moping and actually do something about it. I threw out all the crap foods and I signed up for an intensive PT and gym package. Was delighted with myself. Had my assessment and bam.....everything has shut down. Obviously I'm not annoyed at that, its the right thing with everything going on. But I feel so lost fitness wise. I'm house bound at the moment. My partner is one of the at high risk people.

Is there any really good HIIT excercises without equipment I could do at home. Would anyone have any idea of a plan I could do that would lead to successful weight loss while we are confined at home. Im taking care of the food side. All healthy food bought in, but I feel so depressed about the gym side of it. I really needed that motivation and pressure to lose it.

thanks for listening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The gym side of it is worth about 5%, so I wouldn't overstate what you are missing there.

Its all about the food. Go for a run or long walk if you want to stay active, but its the food you really need to focus on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

As an endurance long distance running junky I will naturaly espouse the benefits of running....slowly. Miles miles and more miles. I lost 2 stone in 7 months back in 2016. No crash diets no gym. Just running 4-5 times a week and changing my diet.

And the old saying "You cannot outrun a bad diet".

I would genuinely join a running/walking club (as distinct from an athletics club). Get out 5-6 days a week with other like minded people to motivate you.

Walking slowly running and building up to 10km runs. The weight will fall off you but you have to get more active. Also it gets you out of the gym which might appeal.

I have never done HIIT etc so I can't say if and how it works. As said above I would not be too bothered about the gym...get active an oh did I mentioned miles? Get walking and trust me it is easier than slogging it out in the gym.

A friend's father lost 7 stone just by walking for an hour around the village everyday for several months.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Moshman

Buckets is right, there's an old saying, "you can't outrun a bad diet". Keep to a healthy diet and try to get out for a walk, early morning might be best if trying to avoid social interaction.
    As you start to lose a little weight introduce some short runs into the walk. Gradually increase running time and shorten the walking time. It'll take time and as you get closer to your target weight the weight loss takes longer, but, keep at it and best of luck for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Lots of HIIT workouts on YouTube you can follow, Joe Wicks has some beginner ones that are good. I have a HIIT timer app on my phone and have put my own 20 minute workouts together with a light set of dumbbells and I finish it off with some core work then. I really miss the gym

Diet is without a doubt more important for weight loss though as others have pointed out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭DenMan

Personally I wouldn't waste any time or money on joining a gym. Most people if you actually asked them work out with the same intensity they could easily do at home or out walking. Your diet is the most important part, change that and coupled with regular daily walks and plenty of water you will lose the weight. The videos of the past five years of Operation Transformation are up now on the RTE Player to watch. The food plans are also up for this years intake of leaders. Very best of luck with everything.

https://www.rte.ie/player/series/operation-transformation/SI0000001272?epguid=IP000064893

https://ot.rte.ie/food-and-recipes/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

You need to burn more than you put on. It really is that simple.

No crash or fad diets. Change your diet- you don't need to go to extremes just a few tweaks here and there to start off with get more active.

Sorry to keep banging on about getting more active but there is much info on the internet it is head wreacking. Keep it simple and use your legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭tamara25

You can do this op, once you start seeing the weight loss it will keep you motivated. If running isn’t your thing get out walking instead. Calculate how many calories you are allowed daily with my fitness pal. I find it great as it stops me eating too much in evenings which is my hardest time. Listen to music also when out & about, great distraction & time goes quicker!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Walking is great for the body and mind, I would definitely add some resistance training though if you can. Bodyweight squats, push ups (do them against an elevated surface if you can’t do a full one) and some rows using resistance bands from Aldi / Lidl can all be done at home and would be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

It's all about food ! I've binge eating disorder so this is a real struggle atm for me I'm doing outpatient therapy and now I've to self isolate so just trying to concentrate on my goal

Weight driving me insane too. If I move my scales which is 2 weeks old from Argos I'm a different weight if every part of my room. Put my 5kg kettlebell on it today to see if it was correct and it didn't register it's weight !!! Lol

It's all about food ! I've binge eating disorder so this is a real struggle atm for me I'm doing outpatient therapy and now I've to self isolate so just trying to concentrate on my goal

Weight driving me insane too. If I move my scales which is 2 weeks old from Argos I'm a different weight if every part of my room. Put my 5kg kettlebell on it today to see if it was correct and it didn't register it's weight !!! Lol

I'd be inclined to put the scales away. Maybe weigh yourself on the 1st of each month only, also ensure it's at the same time of day (before breakfast maybe). All the advice on the list is good so if you feel the need to binge then try to incorporate exercise also. Home scales are never very accurate but over time they can by indicative of weight gain or loss. A great app is Strava where you can log any exercise and also include dietary habits.
    Best of luck with it

• Advertisement

Moshman wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to put the scales away. Maybe weigh yourself on the 1st of each month only, also ensure it's at the same time of day (before breakfast maybe). All the advice on the list is good so if you feel the need to binge then try to incorporate exercise also. Home scales are never very accurate but over time they can by indicative of weight gain or loss. A great app is Strava where you can log any exercise and also include dietary habits.
    Best of luck with it

Hey, thanks! :)

I get weighed by my eating disorder team in hospital once a month. It's just to keep an eye on it cause I have PKID.

I haven't binged in 6 weeks. Therapy is doing me so good. I think the main thing for me is the inner child work in therapy does adult me or want to eat this or 5 year old me lol

That works for me and also exercising daily, tough enough workout minimum 3 days a week- at home now just doing kettlebell workout everyday for 15 mins. I eat porridge and loads of fruit everyday and dark chocolate keeps any craving at bay.

I still have Pepsi max and 7up free like a can a day but that used to be 500-1 litre of full fat coke a day ! :)

Haven't had milk chocolate, jellies etc in 7 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

OP, I find in training small achievable goals or targets work for me. Do a dateline on a sheet - one column is the week, the next the specific date, the next one is the goal. Set an achievable goal - like to lose 1 lb per week. Track it on the sheet - set a specific day each week when you will measure the success. No offsetting allowed from week to week. Decide what extra exercise you will do in addition to the food to achieve you goal - write it down and stick to it - if it helps to tick it off in a chart then get a shert and stick it on the fridge nd tixk it off - walk 5k Mon,Wed, Thirs,Sat, hike 10k Sunday. Swim Tue, Friday. 5 stone is a huge amount to want to lose - you will need to swim to keep your skin toned and elastic as you lose weight. Build it into your plan. Stick it in the fridge and tick each off when you do ut. The ticks will inspire you. If you don’t do it it will stare you in the face.

You say you have the food in hand - great. No sugar, and portion sizes - volume will undermine you even if it is healthy volume - buy smaller plate and bowl - weigh you food and use them.

Some people swear by visuals to help them - an old pic of you a few years back that you like when you were closer to the tright weight. Or even a pic torn from a mag or downloaded - I lost 1 stone before and after pics. Keep it achievable. Don’t let yourself be overwhelmed by your goal. 5 stone spunds like a lot but if my maths is right that is ‘only’ one pound a week - that is achievable if you are disciplined and serious and if as you say the food is the big issue. There are a lot of calories in the delicious drink - not just the sugar in the booze but in the munchies that go with it too and the morning after! It might be really worth your while giving up the drink if you do drunk a bit - or only having a drink every second weekend or so - you’ll see the diffrence!

Stong will and no excuses. Only you can make it happen.

Hey, thanks! :)

I get weighed by my eating disorder team in hospital once a month. It's just to keep an eye on it cause I have PKID.

I haven't binged in 6 weeks. Therapy is doing me so good. I think the main thing for me is the inner child work in therapy does adult me or want to eat this or 5 year old me lol

That works for me and also exercising daily, tough enough workout minimum 3 days a week- at home now just doing kettlebell workout everyday for 15 mins. I eat porridge and loads of fruit everyday and dark chocolate keeps any craving at bay.

I still have Pepsi max and 7up free like a can a day but that used to be 500-1 litre of full fat coke a day ! :)

Haven't had milk chocolate, jellies etc in 7 weeks

Sounds like you're getting on top of things now. Keep up the good work😇

Sounds like you're getting on top of things now. Keep up the good work��

Thanks! I'm down 2 and a half stone :) 1/3 of the way there lol

Thanks! I'm down 2 and a half stone :) 1/3 of the way there lol

Awesome, just remember that the closer you get to your target weight, the harder the weight is to lose. This is because you're losing fat and gaining muscle(which is heavier than fat). Persevere with it, I'm sure with losing so much weight already you must feel better even now....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

I also have BED. I feel your pain :(

Awesome, just remember that the closer you get to your target weight, the harder the weight is to lose. This is because you're losing fat and gaining muscle(which is heavier than fat). Persevere with it, I'm sure with losing so much weight already you must feel better even now....

I know ! I'm an outpatient in hospital for my eating disorder and they weigh me once a month. I love doing the strength training cause I'm seeing massive differences in my legs and upper body already. I do feel good thanks.

I'm stuck at home with covid19 symptoms so doing light kettlebell workouts as I'm out of breathe every 10 minutes !

Omega28 wrote: »
    I also have BED. I feel your pain :(

Hey. I was in hospital last year for anxiety and depression. Once they where fully sorted I got an assessment by head of ED department ( she's a consultant psychiatrist ), her head nurse, registrar and a dietician. They gave me a massive 4 hour assessment and now I'm doing CBT there since January as an outpatient. The CBT is changing the way I look at food. I binged twice at the start of Feb and haven't since ! Not even now with self isolation :)

Message me if you like !! Here for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

Hello, and thanks for replies. So in the last 3 weeks I've lost 16 pounds, was doing 30 min hit exercises and complete diet overhall. Delighted with myself. The change in my waist and belly is huge.

However, this week, I fractured my ankle. Minor but enough that I have to wear a boot for 4 weeks when walking. I am utterly devastated. I'm looking for a bit of inspiration.
    I still want to do hiit workouts but upper body. Would hit upper body exercises continue my weight loss. I was on such a roll. I have dumbbells and a kettlebell. I obviously cant run or jump. I feel so lost now, I was flying it. Can anyone advise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Eimee90 wrote: »
    Hello, and thanks for replies. So in the last 3 weeks I've lost 16 pounds, was doing 30 min hit exercises and complete diet overhall. Delighted with myself. The change in my waist and belly is huge.

However, this week, I fractured my ankle. Minor but enough that I have to wear a boot for 4 weeks when walking. I am utterly devastated. I'm looking for a bit of inspiration.
    I still want to do hiit workouts but upper body. Would hit upper body exercises continue my weight loss. I was on such a roll. I have dumbbells and a kettlebell. I obviously cant run or jump. I feel so lost now, I was flying it. Can anyone advise me.

Congratulations, sounds like you've made great progress during the lockdown.

You'll continue to lose weight if you maintain your current diet, maybe eat a little less to account for doing less exercise. Try and count calories to make sure you don't over or undershoot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

Congratulations, sounds like you've made great progress during the lockdown.

You'll continue to lose weight if you maintain your current diet, maybe eat a little less to account for doing less exercise. Try and count calories to make sure you don't over or undershoot.

Thanks for the reply, would upper body exercises help with fat loss, trimming. I'm missing the excercise terribly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭DenMan

Well done OP, that's a great achievement. Well done! Be mindful of your diet and your portion sizes. Be careful and mind yourself. All the best in your recovery.

Advertisement